Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Playstation 2 vs Nintendo GameCube

Playstation 2 vs Nintendo GameCube (Page 3)
Beewee
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2001, 11:29 PM

Originally posted by poocat:
<STRONG>god.

more ca$h stupidity.

obviously you forgot that of the last three or four systems, none of them produced as much mass entertainment fun as the n64... god, between bond, perfect dark, super smash brothers, and mario kart, i never even touched my playstation. here`s my recommendation, one more time. if you`ve got friends, get a gc, and play WITH them. if you don`t, amuse yourself with the incredible, and i do mean absolutely incredible 1 player games like ffx and mgs2. they can`t be beat, but that`s what the ps2 is all about.

if you want to have a beer, have a blast, and love your soccer, go grab a gc and you won`t regret it.

i promise.

pcat.</STRONG>

Thank God! Welcome to the hell that is this thread. Between Ca$h bashing anyone that doesn't agree with him, and his disturbing remarks about nephews, I was afraid that there wasn't an intelligent person left on earth. Thank U for bringing SOMETHING to this thread that can be considered a valid point.

ARENA  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2001, 11:42 PM

Well, in this third page I hope we can keep up the discussion at a better level. Discussing more about the games and the consoles. Without stupid comments.
I hope Ca$h don't **** up this third page like he did with the second. He needs attention, but don't feed him when he posts.

Replying something from a previous post. I don't think that the relation: PS2 for single player - GC for multiplayer is valid. I'm pretty sure the GC is a great console for playing alone too. That's what i'm buying it for, cos' i don't plan to be playing with GC friends that much, but rather when i'm bored on my own.

...One last thing. When i buy the console next friday, i think i will post another thread for the GameCube where all the GC owners and fanboys can post anything they want about the console, games, and related stuff, without talking about the PS2, so we don't get this stupid, nonsense "fights".

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2001, 12:23 AM

Originally posted by Beewee:
<STRONG>

Thank God! Welcome to the hell that is this thread. Between Ca$h bashing anyone that doesn't agree with him, and his disturbing remarks about nephews, I was afraid that there wasn't an intelligent person left on earth. Thank U for bringing SOMETHING to this thread that can be considered a valid point.</STRONG>
No, us smart ones were just waiting in the wings for the dust to settle.
It's been a lot of fun. If I had the cash or time for a new console I would get both, a PS2 for the games that sony just outright buys, and a GC for the rest.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Adam Silver
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2001, 01:27 AM

Originally posted by juanvaldes:
<STRONG>

It's been a lot of fun. If I had the cash or time for a new console I would get both, a PS2 for the games that sony just outright buys, and a GC for the rest. </STRONG>
You mean like Resident Evil, Dead or Alive, and Halo? Sony isn't the only who buys itself exclusives.

Adam Silver
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2001, 01:44 AM

Originally posted by Myrkridia:
<STRONG>

And you are Square's bitch.</STRONG>
I hate The Bouncer. I hate Legend of Mana. I hate Threads of Fate. I hate Rad Racer. I hate Driving Emotion Type-S. I hate Secret of Evermore. I hate Chocobo Racing. I hate Parasite Eve 2. I hate Chocobo's Dungeon 2. I hate Rad Racer 2. I hate 3D World Runner. I hate SaGa Frontier. I hate SaGa Frontier 2. I hate Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. I hate Final Fantasy Legend. I hate Final Fantasy Legend II. I hate Final Fantasy Legend III. I hate Final Fantasy V. I hate Final Fantasy VIII. I hate�

Yes, I'm Square's bitch.

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2001, 02:00 AM

Originally posted by Adam Silver:
<STRONG>

You mean like Resident Evil, Dead or Alive, and Halo? Sony isn't the only who buys itself exclusives.</STRONG>
I never said they didn't. Never liked Resident Evil since it was a computer game. Dead or Alive? wasn't that a Sega arcade game that appeared on the dreamcast? Halo, I plan on buying for my macintosh sometime this spring.

Look I am not after a fight. But I loved the original FF and Metal gear games way back when on my NES, that and GT is indeed one of the best racing games I have ever played. I loved playing GTA1&2 and I suppose #3 is even more fun now that it's 3D (at least the ad's look cool) those are reasons to get a PS2.

Now I just wish I had the cash for any of it.

[edit] BTW you don't need to go pulling up all sorts of crap about who bought this or that, I have stopped being a console gamer since I play tested the N64 back at SGI.

And basically everything Square has done since the SNES has been complete crap. Legend of Mana I liked though

[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: juanvaldes ]
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

onefinger68
Banned
Dec 19, 2001, 09:22 AM

<STRONG>This was posted by Beewee

"Lets look at games. PS2 you've got FFX (if you like that crap) MGS2,
Devil May Cry, GT3, GTA3."

This was posted by you.

"Yes. All kickass games."

You clearly say that you think FFX is a kickass game. Try to remember what you say in between your drunken hazes. Also I don't have a nephew, but say hi to your boyfriend for me.
Hey you admitted to it.
Ca$h says in a timid voice, "Hold me brad, those dog monsters are scary."</STRONG>
Yes, final fantasy DOES kickass; you can tell as there are thousands of people who think its the best thing since sliced bread. HOWEVER, RPGs are not my thing. I don't like it, and I never claimed to... yet I will still state that it is a good game, and the best of its genre.

- Ca$h

onefinger68
Banned
Dec 19, 2001, 09:26 AM

<STRONG>

Are those the only games you know? 2 games aren't enough to make ANY one buy a system. Well maybe you would, but we all know y that is.

P.S. Is this a temp name or did you get banned....again? LOL
Keep it up</STRONG>
No, but those games have ZERO equal on Gamecube, and they're both badass games. Gamecube has happy wacky funhouse. Yay.

- Ca$h

PS: Yep. Banned again. &gt;shrug&lt;

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2001, 09:27 AM

Originally posted by onefinger68:
<STRONG>

Yes, final fantasy DOES kickass; you can tell as there are thousands of people who think its the best thing since sliced bread. HOWEVER, RPGs are not my thing. I don't like it, and I never claimed to... yet I will still state that it is a good game, and the best of its genre.

- Ca$h</STRONG>
there are also thousands of people who think carson daly and TRL are cool...

onefinger68
Banned
Dec 19, 2001, 09:28 AM

<STRONG>

DEAR GOD YOU ARE ONE SICK F*CK. NO WONDER THEY KEEP BANNING YOU ASS. YOU'RE A F*CKING PEDAFILE!!!!!
SICK ASSHOLE!!!!!!!!</STRONG>
No I'm not. You're the pedaphile. You like gamecube, and your 7 yr old nephew. I think that's wrong, but hey, whatever floats your boat man. Have fun playing faggot games with your nephew.

- Ca$h

onefinger68
Banned
Dec 19, 2001, 09:30 AM

Originally posted by poocat:
<STRONG>obviously you forgot that of the last three or four systems, none of them produced as much mass entertainment fun as the n64... god, between bond, perfect dark, super smash brothers, and mario kart, i never even touched my playstation. here`s my recommendation, one more time. if you`ve got friends, get a gc, and play WITH them. if you don`t, amuse yourself with the incredible, and i do mean absolutely incredible 1 player games like ffx and mgs2. they can`t be beat, but that`s what the ps2 is all about. </STRONG>
Yep. ... Like I said. If you want mindless brain rotting fun so you and a few friends veg out in front of a TV set and mindlessly press buttons for hours at a time, go get a gamecube. If you want games that have DEPTH and CHARACTER and PLOTS, get a PS2.

- Ca$h

onefinger68
Banned
Dec 19, 2001, 09:31 AM

<STRONG>

Thank God! Welcome to the hell that is this thread. Between Ca$h bashing anyone that doesn't agree with him, and his disturbing remarks about nephews, I was afraid that there wasn't an intelligent person left on earth. Thank U for bringing SOMETHING to this thread that can be considered a valid point.</STRONG>
THATS WHAT I"VE BEEN SAYING THE ENTIRE ****ING TIME ASSHOLE! Jesus you're dense.

- Ca$h

onefinger68
Banned
Dec 19, 2001, 09:34 AM

Originally posted by ARENA:
<STRONG>Replying something from a previous post. I don't think that the relation: PS2 for single player - GC for multiplayer is valid. I'm pretty sure the GC is a great console for playing alone too. That's what i'm buying it for, cos' i don't plan to be playing with GC friends that much, but rather when i'm bored on my own.</STRONG>
That sucks. Too bad you won't have MGS and GTA3 and GT3 and 007 and Silent Hill to play with. Have a great time playing wacky extreme supa dupa racer! WEEE!

- Ca$h

Adam Silver
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2001, 10:20 AM

Originally posted by scaught:
<STRONG>

there are also thousands of people who think carson daly and TRL are cool...</STRONG>
And everything that is popular and scaught doesn't like must be terrible. TRL is not aimed at you (unless you're a stupid teenage girl).

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2001, 10:42 AM

Originally posted by Adam Silver:
<STRONG>

And everything that is popular and scaught doesn't like must be terrible. TRL is not aimed at you (unless you're a stupid teenage girl).</STRONG>
that was actually a jab aimed exclusively at mr ca$h. he has complained many times about the "gayness" of TRL.

kidtexas
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 19, 2001, 04:48 PM

For those of you who were actually reading this thead in an attempt to get some actual info out of it... I just rented Metal Gear Solid 2 last night.

Good News:
Awesome game. Play control is great. Sound is great. Graphics and visuals are some of the best I've seen. If you have a PS2, go rent this NOW and check it out.

Bad News:
I am 2/3 of the way through the game. I have been playing for about 6 hours (30 mins of which was spent on an end boss). Lots of cut scenes. My friend asked me if I actually got to play, or if you just watch it. However, I can deal with this stuff.

What was most disappointing was the story. Most of the characters from MGS1 whom died have made a reappearance - cheap. Liquid Snakes return as a grafted arm was particularly sad - really cheap (Body Parts anyone?).

I like Fortune's gun... I thought this was supposed to be somewhat realistic, and not a comic book?

However, the single most offensive line was about the character Fatman. "He built an atomic bomb when he was only 10" It doesn't help that Fatman rides around on roller blades.

I'm sorry, that was bit much for me to handle. I liked the story line of MGS alot (it had some problems, but which games don't), but the cheesy additions to MGS2 storyline are a little too much. In an effort to "outdo" the previous game, it seems they just applied the bigger, faster, better rule to, making the game somwhat outlandish. What ruled about the original NES MG was, at the time, it was a relatively realistic game (shit you could hide in a cardboard box!).

All in all though, don't let this stuff hamper you, because it is a great game, one of the best for PS2. Check it out (though rent before you buy...)

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 19, 2001, 07:49 PM

Well, i have a PS2, GameCube, and Xbox at my apartment right now.

The PS2 has GT3, which has no counterpart on the GameCube.
The GameCube has Rogue Leader which has no "good" counterpart on the PS2.
The PS2 has MGS2 which has no counterpart on the GameCube.
The GameCube has Super Smash Bros: Melee which has no counterpart on the PS2.
I could go back and forth for an hour like this easily. I can't really diss either of them. I may have to cry now. Look, there are more fun multiplayer games on the Cube right now in my opinion. And there's Rogue Leader, which took over my life. But before that GT3 took over my life. Then there's madden, SSX, and thps3 which are all on both. However in the case of ssx and thps3 i would recommend you go with the ps2, the control scheme for those games was made for the ps2 and the gc controller just doesn't feel right. I probably haven't helped any, but I tried. Convincing Ca$h that the GCN is a good system is probaly gonna be about as hard as convincing a priest that there is no god. Might as well just give up, on ca$h anyway....

Oh, and on the Xbox, Halo is fun, but in 2 player its about as choppy as playing Unreal Tournament on a Wallstreet.

Adam Silver
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2001, 11:32 PM

Originally posted by Teronzhul:
<STRONG>The GameCube has Super Smash Bros: Melee which has no counterpart on the PS2.</STRONG>
Guilty Gear X could be considered the PS2's Super Smash Bros. Melee counterpart. Both are incredible over-the-top fighting games.

Sadly, Guilty Gear X hasn't gotten the attention it deserves. I suggest that all the PS2 owners on this board rent it to see what they're missing. At the very least, it will be the most visually impressive 2D game you'll ever see.

Forum Links
Forum Rules