Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Can Hillary lose with grace?

Can Hillary lose with grace? (Page 3)
BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2008, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
A legitimate nomination process can give her a win. Likely? Maybe not. Possible? Most definitely.
What would that possible scenario look like? 'Cause I don't see it.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 5, 2008, 04:10 PM

Fixed for you:
Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
The Democrats have 2 hard-left candidates, neither of whom will be able to win the Presidential election.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 5, 2008, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
What would that possible scenario look like? 'Cause I don't see it.
You can check out the various scenarios yourself.

Democratic delegate counter game - CNN.com

tie
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2008, 04:41 PM

That game is no good, because it doesn't allocate delegates according to the actual rules. The sliders should be set to show the popular vote percentages.
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2008, 10:50 AM

There's also the wildcard of MI and FL do-overs.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2008, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Fixed for you:
meh .. whatever.

Yes, the Democrat candidates are rather far to the left. Which is why I like the looks of a moderate conservative in the Whitehouse. I think if either Clinton or Obama get elected, the polarized American electorate will swing far to the Right in 2012 or 2016. While, if a conservative sitting closer to the middle of the political spectrum (McCain) gets elected this year, more of the candidates in 2012 and 2016 are likely to be moderates, left and right, as well.

I'm all for McCain winning, not the least of which because it'll be a serious loss for the hard-right.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2008, 08:05 PM

Story behind the story: The Clinton myth - Jim VandeHei and Mike Allen - Politico.com
One big fact has largely been lost in the recent coverage of the Democratic presidential race: Hillary Rodham Clinton has virtually no chance of winning.

Her own campaign acknowledges there is no way that she will finish ahead in pledged delegates. That means the only way she wins is if Democratic superdelegates are ready to risk a backlash of historic proportions from the party’s most reliable constituency.

Unless Clinton is able to at least win the primary popular vote — which also would take nothing less than an electoral miracle — and use that achievement to pressure superdelegates, she has only one scenario for victory. An African-American opponent and his backers would be told that, even though he won the contest with voters, the prize is going to someone else.
People who think that scenario is even remotely likely are living on another planet.

As it happens, many people inside Clinton’s campaign live right here on Earth. One important Clinton adviser estimated to Politico privately that she has no more than a 10 percent chance of winning her race against Barack Obama, an appraisal that was echoed by other operatives.
45/47

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2008, 04:16 AM

Yeah, she's dead meat. If she wins the nomination (by pressuring and/or buying superdelegates) without the popular vote, it'll be bad, we'll see riots. However, I think if she has a choice between tearing the country apart or losing, she'll choose the former without blinking.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2008, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
If she wins the nomination (by pressuring and/or buying superdelegates) without the popular vote, it'll be bad, we'll see riots.
If one was to substitute Dan Inouye, Bill Richardson, Joe Lieberman or Luis Gutierrez in Obama's place in this scenario I don't think that there would be many people who would take that possibility seriously. I think most people would laugh because they couldn't see riots as a realistic reaction from the corresponding minority supporters of those men.

So why is it that so many people believe blacks would take to the streets if Obama loses the nomination even if he does so by legal means?

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2008, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
So why is it that so many people believe blacks would take to the streets if Obama loses the nomination even if he does so by legal means?

Who says it would be black people?

The image that immediately sprung to my mind was a bunch of (white) hippies rioting at the loss of the chance to assuage their white guilt.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2008, 11:15 AM

The yippies were the one that caused the riot in '68. Of the original "Chicago 8" , Bobby Seals was the only Black.
45/47

paul w
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2008, 06:25 PM

^That's another debate, as many would say it was Daly and the police that were responsible for the riot.

Anyway, I think a lot of folks would be outraged, white or black, if Hillary won by anything other means than straight up regular delegates in uncontested elections. If the superdelegates decide her victory, that would more a case of politics over the will of the people.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2008, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by paul w View Post
many would say it was Daly and the police

As the late mayor said, "the police aren't here to create disorder, the police are here to preserve disorder."

Mithras
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2008, 06:48 PM

Yeah, when people talk about "riots" with a Clinton superdelegate sneak, we're not talking black urban uprising; we're talking party rank-and-file revolt. More of a metaphorical riot.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2008, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by Mithras View Post
Yeah, when people talk about "riots" with a Clinton superdelegate sneak, we're not talking black urban uprising; we're talking party rank-and-file revolt. More of a metaphorical riot.
No, I'm talking cities going up in flames, think the LA riots and magnify it by 50. I've already spoken with people who said they will gladly burn the regional DNC and Clinton headquarters to the ground if this happens, and they may not stop there.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2008, 01:07 AM

I've already spoken with people who said they will gladly burn the regional DNC and Clinton headquarters to the ground if this happens, and they may not stop there.

And the $64,000 question seems to be...

These people were black[ ], white[ ], other[ ]?

tie
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2008, 01:14 AM

Somehow I don't take the possibility of riots seriously. But Obama is black, and black people are definitely scary, they could riot any time (!).

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2008, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
And the $64,000 question seems to be...

These people were black[X], white[ ], other[ ]?
Just going by what was said to me, I thought it was interesting. There's some tension out there.

Not like this stuff has ever happened before.

Nah, tie's right, could never happen again.
- Thomas Paine

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2008, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
I don't believe that.

But I do believe that if McCain loses, white-haired geriatrics around the country will be turning over cars and throwing Molotov cocktails at police.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2008, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I don't believe that.

But I do believe that if McCain loses, white-haired geriatrics around the country will be turning over cars and throwing Molotov cocktails at police.
I wish I could find the clip from "In Living Color." They did a skit after the people arrested for almost killing Reginald Denny were acquitted. Little old ladies with Gucci bags were looting the Galleria.
45/47

Kerrigan  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2008, 02:37 AM

I just like watching the Democratic party rip itself apart. This confirms what Republicans always knew: that division, weakness, novelty, and short-term self-interest are hallmark features of liberalism.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2008, 02:48 AM

I've already spoken with people who said they will gladly burn the regional DNC and Clinton headquarters to the ground if this happens, and they may not stop there.
Okay, I admit it: now I'm hoping it happens, because THAT I want to see.

Forum Links
Forum Rules