Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Theme: Watercolor port

Theme: Watercolor port (Page 3)
Dace
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2002, 11:03 PM

Originally posted by schep:

The white tiffs or what not he made/modified is what i meant not that they aren't apple's menu extras
He didn't make or modify them. He simply used the white images that appear when you select them and used it for both selected and unselected state.

CarbonG4  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 16, 2002, 02:45 AM

Dace
He didn't make or modify them. He simply used the white images that appear when you select them and used it for both selected and unselected state.
hmm, that's actually a better idea... the way i did my first two menu extras (ppp and battery monitor) was just by switching the foreground tiffs w/ the background white tiffs ---- however making both states white would fit the theme better come to think of it.

::carbon::

:: Carbon Themes v1.5 ::

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Dec 16, 2002, 05:45 AM

Originally posted by Dace:

They're not Max's, they're apple's
True, I just made the pushed state over the inactive state. You can go ahead and take all of them if you feel like it. But I think that it doesn't matter so much that the menu extras are black. You still can't change the clock text into white (at least that's what I know).

schep
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 16, 2002, 08:32 AM

o i understand

Damn i'm stupid

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Dec 16, 2002, 08:52 AM

Well, I did modify them, I had to do that to get the selected state for both selected an unselected. But the graphics is still Apple's.

Dace
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2002, 09:43 AM

Originally posted by bOOzo:

True, I just made the pushed state over the inactive state. You can go ahead and take all of them if you feel like it. But I think that it doesn't matter so much that the menu extras are black. You still can't change the clock text into white (at least that's what I know).
Max, Max, Max., Max....don't you ever learn? Izawa already made the clock text white. Check out his DSX theme and you'll see. Izawa, he's always one step ahead He also made the menu items white.

Actually, Japanese are ahead in theming OS X

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Dec 16, 2002, 12:11 PM

Max, Max, Max., Max....don't you ever learn? Izawa already made the clock text white. Check out his DSX theme and you'll see. Izawa, he's always one step ahead He also made the menu items white.

Actually, Japanese are ahead in theming OS X
What's that supposed to mean...?
I know, Izawa is really pushing OS X theming forward, no doubt about it. But even if the clock text can be changed to white, I ment that it's a lot of hazzle. XP Luna contains 63 objects, about 40 of them are changed menu items.. And all thirdparty menu items are black. So there is still an inconsistency. And since this is carbons first theme he might aswell keep the menu items black, that's easier and that way he will get the theme done faster. He can always add them later on.

unlinear
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 16, 2002, 01:09 PM

Dace,

stop being such an @$$. Max's been nothing but nice to you, yet you take it upon yourself to take a stab at him and his work every chance you get.

I wouldn't mind seeing childishness like this disappear from MacNN (not just here, it also pops up when theme switchers are discussed).

Yes, Izawa, Max and Swiz are probably the 3 best themers on the platform. Yes, Dace, you will be getting your chance to become 'the king of themers' or whatever, if you really want to. The way to do it? prove that your themes are worth it. Make good stuff. Stop talking.. results are what will get you respected.

Dace
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2002, 02:37 PM

Originally posted by unlinear:
Dace,

stop being such an @$$. Max's been nothing but nice to you, yet you take it upon yourself to take a stab at him and his work every chance you get.

I wouldn't mind seeing childishness like this disappear from MacNN (not just here, it also pops up when theme switchers are discussed).

Yes, Izawa, Max and Swiz are probably the 3 best themers on the platform. Yes, Dace, you will be getting your chance to become 'the king of themers' or whatever, if you really want to. The way to do it? prove that your themes are worth it. Make good stuff. Stop talking.. results are what will get you respected.
Touchy, touchy. I wasn't attacking Max. I was pointing out that the clock text can be white. geez. I respect Max, he's a nice guy with great themes....how he spits them out every 5 second I don't know After all, I owe it to Max for having thaught me to create themes, indirectly of course. No hard feelings right Max, PHP Clock is a third party clock for which you can change the color yourself. Are you going to impliment some of the changes I showed you for Mac OS XP?

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Dec 16, 2002, 02:47 PM

Touchy, touchy. I wasn't attacking Max. I was pointing out that the clock text can be white. geez. I respect Max, he's a nice guy with great themes....how he spits them out every 5 second I don't know After all, I owe it to Max for having thaught me to create themes, indirectly of course. No hard feelings right Max, PHP Clock is a third party clock for which you can change the color yourself. Are you going to impliment some of the changes I showed you for Mac OS XP?
That's cool.
I will perhaps implement the changes when I'm done with Milk. I was thinking about making Luna and Silver XP into on .dlta theme, but it's so much to convert with all the menu extras..

Dace
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2002, 02:50 PM

That's cool.
I will perhaps implement the changes when I'm done with Milk. I was thinking about making Luna and Silver XP into on .dlta theme, but it's so much to convert with all the menu extras..
You work on Milk, I'll work on XP...making them into one that is. I'll send u the themscript.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2002, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by Mediaman_12:
Realy nice, almost a perfect translation
Any chance of the 'Grey' Watercolour variant?
example
Hell yea, I like this one!
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Dec 16, 2002, 03:46 PM

You work on Milk, I'll work on XP...making them into one that is. I'll send u the themscript.
Nice, that would help alot. Don't do it unless you really feel like it though, I think it's pretty boring.

Dace
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2002, 01:03 AM

Nice, that would help alot. Don't do it unless you really feel like it though, I think it's pretty boring.
Tell me about it But really, it's less frustrating and more fun than actually creating the theme...to me anyway. Also, I'll update Silver XP's Apple menu while I'm at it.

CarbonG4  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 17, 2002, 02:57 AM

Current Mental Status: Healthy

w00t, many thanks to Max and Swiz for helping me track down all of the bugs and inconsistencies in my theme -- I've squashed the majority of them and the Extras.rsrc file is very very close to being finalized.

In addition, I've gone ahead and redesigned the scrollbars all over again due to popular request of the Watercolor-esque scrollbars. I hope these satisfy everyone now (I'll post a screenshot shortly), because it's becoming more and more unlikely that I'll redo 'em yet again... I have a personal vendetta against scrollbars and tabs. I have a feeling I'll be adding progress bars to that list as well -- they're the only major remaining components to be themed.

---------------------------------------
New Scrollbars:

http://mypage.siu.edu/bmuhlach/images/scrollbars.jpg

-Carbon

zazou
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 17, 2002, 03:01 AM

Originally posted by CarbonG4:
Current Mental Status: Healthy

w00t, many thanks to Max and Swiz for helping me track down all of the bugs and inconsistencies in my theme -- I've squashed the majority of them and the Extras.rsrc file is very very close to being finalized.

In addition, I've gone ahead and redesigned the scrollbars all over again due to popular request of the Watercolor-esque scrollbars. I hope these satisfy everyone now (I'll post a screenshot shortly), because it's becoming more and more unlikely that I'll redo 'em yet again... I have a personal vendetta against scrollbars and tabs. I have a feeling I'll be adding progress bars to that list as well -- they're the only major remaining components to be themed.

---------------------------------------
New Scrollbars:

http://mypage.siu.edu/bmuhlach/images/scrollbars.jpg

-Carbon
No Dice on the screenie.

Haven't you noticed? Chronic cynicism takes no skills, little energy, no education, and if you do it really well in poorly-lit coffee-houses, it gets you laid.

CarbonG4  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 17, 2002, 03:06 AM

zazou
No Dice on the screenie.
Should be working now, thanks for the heads-up.

-Carbon

tojo
Dec 17, 2002, 04:12 AM

Should be working now, thanks for the heads-up.

-Carbon
This theme looks wonderful!

Any ETA on the release?

--
tojo

CarbonG4  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 17, 2002, 05:45 AM

...3:45am

http://mypage.siu.edu/bmuhlach/images/toolbar.jpg

started on localized.rsrc

making progress

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Dec 17, 2002, 05:48 AM

Tell me about it But really, it's less frustrating and more fun than actually creating the theme...to me anyway. Also, I'll update Silver XP's Apple menu while I'm at it.
Let me handle the theme, you just convert it to .dlta. I want to maintain the theme myself.

tojo
Dec 17, 2002, 06:25 PM

...3:45am

http://mypage.siu.edu/bmuhlach/images/toolbar.jpg

started on localized.rsrc

making progress
Excellent, I can't wait! The previews looks fantastic!

<-- waiting patiently.

--
tojo

ARENA
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2002, 07:28 PM

Great work on the new scrollbars. They look much better now. But why don't you use a square in the arrow buttons?
The pressed state is a little weak IMHO, maybe the arrow should become blue when pressed.

The toolbar is also great!
Thanks Carbon.

mrbiiggy2
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 18, 2002, 01:23 AM

When will we see a public release of this? I can't wait! Looks awesome so far.

CarbonG4  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 18, 2002, 02:43 AM

Status Update:
I'm working on wrapping it all up really soon for the first public release... I made a lot of progress today.

Expect a release very soon barring any unforeseen issues.

-Carbon

J_Anderton
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2002, 10:08 AM

Status Update:
I'm working on wrapping it all up really soon for the first public release... I made a lot of progress today.

Expect a release very soon barring any unforeseen issues.

-Carbon
Sounds terrific Carbon.

The toolbar and scrollbars look great by the way.

Every Second Counts...Tuesdays!

CarbonG4  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 18, 2002, 05:11 PM

Watercolor 1.0 has been released -- please refer to the new thread for download information.

Thank You
-Carbon

Forum Links
Forum Rules