Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Do YOU smoke?

View Poll Results: Do you smoke?
Poll Options:
YES 35 votes (24.65%)
NO 107 votes (75.35%)
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll
Do YOU smoke? (Page 3)
rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2003, 12:14 AM

Originally posted by Timothy Maxwell:
Anyone who smokes, considering the information we have about the health risks, is just plain studip.

tori says, "yes, very studip!"

-r.

Sealobo
Feb 25, 2003, 12:18 AM

stu�dip (P)Pronunciation Key (stpd, sty)
adj. stu�dip�er, stu�dip�est

1. I am kinda slow to learn or understand; obtuse.
2. I tend to make poor decisions or careless mistakes.
3. I am marked by a lack of intelligence or care; foolish or careless: a stupid mistake.
4. I am dazed, stunned, and stupefied.
5. I am pointless; worthless: a stupid job.
( Last edited by Sealobo; Feb 25, 2003 at 12:36 AM. )

clod
Senior User
Feb 25, 2003, 02:30 AM

Originally posted by Pepi Picklefoot:
I hate smokers for being the cause of the deadlier 2nd-hand smoke. I hate them for slowly killing me. It's almost like a legal way to stab someone to death. If it was legal to smack a cigarette/cigar or pipe out of someone's mouth without being charged for assault, I'd be slapping cigarettes/cigars and pipes out of everyone's mouth...and likin' it!

I don't care if smokers smoke at home...but don't smoke in a public place.

I'm glad the province of Ontario in Canada has put an end to smoking in public places.
Actually, it's just Ottawa that has the total ban in public places and there is A LOT of oposition. Alot of smokers just take the 5-10 min. drive from downtown Ottawa to Gatineau, Quebec (where there is no ban) to go to bars and stuff.

real
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 1, 2003, 04:34 PM

I dont trust anyone who hasn't smoked.

Luckily most people in my life has smoked or smokes. What i dont get about the hole smoking thing is; about the same amount of people die every year from drunk driving, and yet nothing is done about that really. Once in awhile you get a ad saying hey be smart dont drink and drive, but I'd say half of us drive when we most likey shouldn't be. Everyones up in arms about smoking and smoking pot, it's still bad for you,bottomline. But hey everyone needs a poison.
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2003, 06:19 PM

Actually, approximately 440,000 people die each year from smoking related illnesses, and 20,000 die from drunk driving. Smoking is a far, far, greater killer.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Psychonaut
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 1, 2003, 06:47 PM

Originally posted by KarlG:
Actually, approximately 440,000 people die each year from smoking related illnesses, and 20,000 die from drunk driving. Smoking is a far, far, greater killer.
Yet we haven't outlawed either of them yet. Why? Because that would effectively give the government power and precedent to regulate the capacity of humans to make decisions for themselves, that do harm only to themselves. Why then doesn't the government set up a commission to decide which stocks or mutual funds are bad investments and proceed to outlaw the citizen's ability to put money into those bad investments? Why not have an actual Fashion Police in order that people won't make the mistake of dressing unfashionably lest it do harm to what others may think of them?

We all know the risks of smoking: that it is bad for your health, that it is addicting. (Compare that to the stockmarket: we know there are risks in investing, but many investments have the potential to be profitable.) But it is because we do know the risks, that we may be able to decide whether or not to take the first puff. I emphasise "first" because as some may argue tobacco is addicting thus the craving and addiction overrides our free will, but it is our decision as rational human beings to begin the habit of smoking, knowing that it is a long process to quit the habit.
DBGFHRGL!

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2003, 09:34 PM

Originally posted by Psychonaut:
Yet we haven't outlawed either of them yet. Why? Because that would effectively give the government power and precedent to regulate the capacity of humans to make decisions for themselves, that do harm only to themselves.
Outlawing the sale of cigarettes and alcohol would also effectively destroy the economy. It would be like banning cotton.

hayesk
Mar 2, 2003, 11:28 AM

Originally posted by Ozmodiar:
Life is not about appeasement. I don't like to see people wearing bright clothes or large hats - do they have to stop doing something they enjoy just for me?

What about music? I hate the music my roommate listens to (Cake, 311, Sublime, etc...blech) but I don't demand that he stop listening to music when I'm around.
Does someone's bright clothes give you cancer? Does someone's music give you bronchitis?

Your roommates music or clothing does not kill people around him. Smoking does.

Smoke all you want - by yourself or with other smokers. But why should anyone have the right to inflict damage to the health of others?

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2003, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by rjenkinson:

tori says, "yes, very studip!"
...then politely asked for a light.

Psychonaut
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 2, 2003, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by hayesk:
Your roommates music or clothing does not kill people around him. Smoking does.

Smoke all you want - by yourself or with other smokers. But why should anyone have the right to inflict damage to the health of others?
Hey wait just a minute. The original study that "proved" second-hand smoke was dangerous was later found inconclusive. And now there's this study: http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?threadid=148784 I'm trying to find a copy of the recent episode of Penn and Teller's Bullsh!t that was done on this.
( Last edited by Psychonaut; Mar 2, 2003 at 12:32 PM. )
DBGFHRGL!

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2003, 08:58 AM

Originally posted by Timothy Maxwell:
Anyone who smokes, considering the information we have about the health risks, is just plain studip.
this is a joke, right?

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

Liquidity X
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2003, 11:16 AM

Originally posted by Worst. Episode. Ever.:
tobacco
cannabis
Same here bro

Anomalous
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2003, 05:09 PM

Not only do I not smoke, but I would like to see smoking in public banned. People have no right to blow poison in my face.

Forum Links
Forum Rules