Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Best new car for under 20k?

Best new car for under 20k? (Page 3)
Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2003, 09:32 AM

Originally posted by ink:
We just got a VW Golf TDI; the diesel gets about 45 miles per gallon. It's a great car with a lot of features for under 20k.

permanent68
Banned
Jul 2, 2003, 07:20 PM

Originally posted by DeathMan:
So what kind of mods could you do on an elantra that wouldn't void your warranty? Is the warranty transferrable? how do you make sure they kept the car up? I'm so clueless. Ah well. I've got plenty of time.
Modding Hyundais is immoral. But if you must, they probably mod just like any other car. CAI, UDP, Header, Hi Flo Cat, Portmatching extrude honing, increasing compression, new cams, turbos, etc.

But why? It's probably still not going to be very fast, or handle that great.

- Ca$h

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2003, 10:20 PM

Just read something on the 2004 Toyota Prius.. it's completely redesigned and is supposed to offer better fuel economy and also be a lot "peppier". It won't be a drag racer, for sure, but should get upwards of 55-60 miles per gallon, and it also has a much refined suspension and chassis. It's a lot roomier inside and has more cargo space too.

It's got some neat technology -- a one-touch shifter, A/C when the car is off and alone in the parking lot, a new version of skid control, keyless starting and no-touch remote entry, tri-stage airbags all around... it's even got Bluetooth so you can use your phone through the stereo system. Some pretty cool stuff, but it's still supposed to weigh in at under 20K.

It's quite odd looking but the insides seem to be very good. So, if you're sick of paying for gas...

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2003, 11:36 PM

Originally posted by permanent68:
Modding Hyundais is immoral. But if you must, they probably mod just like any other car. CAI, UDP, Header, Hi Flo Cat, Portmatching extrude honing, increasing compression, new cams, turbos, etc.

- Ca$h
You're probably right. I'm not much of a drive around and feel cool kind of guy. not that I would feel cool driving a hyundai. I think, however, if you can mod a civic, you should be allowed to mod a hyundai. I doubt I'll mod anything, though. I want the Hyndai for my wife, and I want a WRX.

memento
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2003, 12:56 PM

Originally posted by sworthy:
My SO is looking to buy a new car. Our price range is definitely limited (and something closer to 15k might be better). Just wondering if anyone had any good suggestions. Or do you think we should get a used car, say a 2000?

Please help me out

Tacoma, WA. You get some snow there? Simple - get a Subaru. The AWD is freakin' unbelievable. I took my outback up my unplowed driveway - 300ft long and 45degree slope average - this past winter in 1.5 feet of snow (the xmas day storm). It's a tank.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2003, 02:22 PM

Originally posted by imaxxedout69:
PS: Benz's are unreliable cars.
This proves that you have no clue about good and bad cars.

And about the SL, it were the 80ies...

RGB
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2003, 03:27 PM

- Ca$h
Plenty of people have modded their Hyundais, in the smae manner people mod their Hondas or Chevys or whatever. It just looks a bit goofy modding a Hyundai Accent, that's all. There are turbochargers and superchargers available for a lot of the Hyundai engines. They just came out for my '02 Elantra GT, for under $3000. Still too rich for my blood.

I've kept mine completely stock, though I'm contemplating a cold air intake for just over $200.

permanent68
Banned
Jul 3, 2003, 06:13 PM

Originally posted by Powaqqatsi:
This proves that you have no clue about good and bad cars.

And about the SL, it were the 80ies...
It was a 1995 Actually. And it sucked.

- Rob

permanent68
Banned
Jul 3, 2003, 06:16 PM

Originally posted by RGB:
I've kept mine completely stock, though I'm contemplating a cold air intake for just over $200.
Why? You'll maybe be .1 seconds faster. Is that worth it????? For 200 bucks?! I don't think so. Now if you were to spend 800 bucks and cut a second off, sure, maybe...but for the most part CAIs are only cool with other mods.

RGB
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2003, 06:38 PM

Why? You'll maybe be .1 seconds faster. Is that worth it????? For 200 bucks?! I don't think so. Now if you were to spend 800 bucks and cut a second off, sure, maybe...but for the most part CAIs are only cool with other mods.
I've deemed it as pretty much not worth it, unless it'd be the first in a chain of a few mods.

Forum Links
Forum Rules