Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple's Five Most Beautiful Products Ever?

Apple's Five Most Beautiful Products Ever? (Page 3)
AngelaBaby
Oct 9, 2007, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Mac User #001 View Post
1. G4 Cube
2. Apple (Pro) Mouse
3. Cinema Displays
4. PowerBook/MacBook Pro
5. iPhone
I totally agree with that list.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 2007, 10:47 AM

Petty and shallow, I know, but it would bother me to have a keyboard sticking out like a sore-thumb...
Aesthetics is perhaps the most important reason I’m glad of this white keyboard. I don’t like the new keyboards, they’re, quite simply, ugly to me. The typing I can get used to (I’ve had a MacBook for just over a month now, so I’m already fairly okay with it)—coming from a PowerBook keyboard, I’m still getting used to typing on this white keyboard here (without getting sore wrists, which is the biggest problem so far—I need to find some kind of wrist support).

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2007, 10:55 AM

The new keyboards are a bit less esthetically pleasing, but trust me - in terms of usability they far exceed the only design.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 2007, 10:58 AM

Well, I don’t like typing on them much, either, but that goes for the MacBook keyboards as well, and I’m sure I could get used to it. Apart from the iTunes keys, I don’t see much difference in usability, though.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2007, 11:44 AM

I have the aluminum keyboard for about 2 months now. Never had a MacBook before and only played with the aluminum keyboard at the Apple Store for less than 30 minutes, I love it even there was a mishap on the keyboard software update 1.1. The cap lock key doesn't really bother me at all. Meanwhile, I use the previous white keyboard at work for 8 to 9 hours and the aluminum keyboard at home. They don't bother me at all luckily.

Since it got my approval, I shall get the wireless model with my purchase of Leopard later this month.

So far, the Mac Pro doesn't come with the aluminum keyboard.

Koralatov  (op)
Senior User
Oct 9, 2007, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
Aesthetics is perhaps the most important reason I’m glad of this white keyboard. I don’t like the new keyboards, they’re, quite simply, ugly to me.
I actually think the new keyboards are quite attractive; they could be imprvoed by giving them backlit aluminium keys. I think it would be much more visually harmonius, albeit slightly more expensive. That said, I would pay more for one like that when I get myself a G5 Power Mac--it would be a much better match.

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
The new keyboards are a bit less esthetically pleasing, but trust me - in terms of usability they far exceed the only design.
I've never had a problem with the old keyboard, the preceding black-and-clear Pro Keyboard or the iBook Clamshell's keyboard.

My favourite ever keyboard, however, was the one that came with my Dad's Ambra Sprinta way back in '92. It was a close relative of the famed IBM Model M keyboard--it had real mechanical keyswitches in it, and was a pleasure to use. My dad used it for years afterward, even when he replaced his computer. He hates dome switch keyboards.

Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
So far, the Mac Pro doesn't come with the aluminum keyboard.
That's a real shame--the aluminium keyboard seems almost tailor-made for the Pro (see my comments above). Perhaps they're running down excess inventory of the previous model, or are worried that the new keyboard won't be welcomed by the pro crowd?

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2007, 01:34 PM

iMac G4
clamshell iBook
iMac G4
iMac G4
iPod shuffle 2G (the first round of colors, not the ugly new ones)

I love how the "Pro" mouse was somehow different from the regular mouse. They both had a short cord, a laser, and one giant mouse button.

iMac G4 FTW. I will own one someday. I will.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2007, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
I love how the "Pro" mouse was somehow different from the regular mouse. They both had a short cord, a laser, and one giant mouse button.
There isn't a difference. The "Pro" mouse was simply renamed later on. There was never a "Pro" mouse and non-"Pro" mouse on sale at the same time.
Vandelay Industries

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2007, 02:24 PM

Oh damn. I was thinking the Pro mouse shipped with the PowerMacs and the white one shipped with the iMacs? Or was the Pro mouse the same era of the hockey puck mouse?

I apparently need a refresher in History of Apple Hardware 101.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2007, 02:40 PM

The Pro mouse replaced the hockey puck as well as the Pro keyboard replaced the small iMac-style keyboard. Both later dropped the "Pro" designation. They may have had a cosmetic change when they dropped the "Pro" designation though (i.e. going from black to white plastic). I'm not sure on that one.
Vandelay Industries

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 9, 2007, 03:10 PM

2001 733 Quick Silver, BABY!!! The most beautiful, well engineered box ever produced by Apple. When mine dies it will be sealed in a time capsule for future explorers.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

Koralatov  (op)
Senior User
Oct 9, 2007, 04:41 PM

iMac G4 FTW. I will own one someday. I will.
I like your list. I cannot praise the G4 iMac highly enough--it truly is a spectacular machine, and--in my most humble opinion--leagues beyond anything before or since. The 'neck' alone makes the price of admission worthwhile. If you are going to get one, though, I'd recommend giving the 15" models a miss; the screen is too small, it's 4:3 and the bubble looks huge by comparison. I can recommend from personal experience that the 20" model is truly a work of art, and a very capable machine to boot.

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
The Pro mouse replaced the hockey puck as well as the Pro keyboard replaced the small iMac-style keyboard. Both later dropped the "Pro" designation. They may have had a cosmetic change when they dropped the "Pro" designation though (i.e. going from black to white plastic). I'm not sure on that one.
As far as I know, they dropped the "Pro" designation when they moved from black to white plastic, but the mouse itself was largely unchanged; it may, however, have lost the tightness selector on the bottom, though. The white keyboard and the Pro keyboard are quite different though. The white one isn't entirely enclosed--between the enter key and the help/delete/arrow keys, there's an open space, and the same on the other side. It drives me up the wall because it catches anything that goes near the keyboard. The Pro keyboard was sealed, as most keyboards are.

Originally Posted by glideslope View Post
2001 733 Quick Silver, BABY!!! The most beautiful, well engineered box ever produced by Apple. When mine dies it will be sealed in a time capsule for future explorers.
Isn't that kind of cruel? I can see it now:

"Sweet. Some kind of monument has been left to us by our ancestors!"
"Wow. What's it do?"
*presses button*
"Nothing. It's totally without function. Typical; primitive people making pointless objects. Maybe it's an idol?"

Also, by then, I suspect the concept of a totally discrete computer will be slightly strange to them. They'll probably have chips in everything, but no 'computer' as we know it.

Maybe you should inter it for prosperity before it breaks?

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 9, 2007, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I love the keyboards that came out RIGHT AFTER that. The clear ones with the black keys...

I'd love to get my hands on about 5 of those...
My parents are still using the one that came with my iMac DV. It does have a bit of powdered sugar in the back, though, from the time I spilled puppy chow in the keys.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2007, 04:54 PM

there's sugar in puppy chow?

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 9, 2007, 05:12 PM

not

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2007, 05:13 PM

" It does have a bit of powdered sugar in the back, though, from the time I spilled puppy chow in the keys. "

there's sugar in puppy chow?

what's the difference? both of the pics above look the same

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2007, 05:16 PM

???

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2007, 05:22 PM

is the first one like a cereal or something?

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2007, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Koralatov View Post
The white keyboard and the Pro keyboard are quite different though. The white one isn't entirely enclosed--between the enter key and the help/delete/arrow keys, there's an open space, and the same on the other side. It drives me up the wall because it catches anything that goes near the keyboard. The Pro keyboard was sealed, as most keyboards are.
There was a white "Pro"-style keyboard. It was identical to the black key/clear plastic surround version except that the keys were white.

They then came out with the white keyed keyboard that eliminated most of the surrounding plastic, which is the one that the aluminum keyboard is now replacing.

Vandelay Industries

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 2007, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
is the first one like a cereal or something?
Puppy chow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2007, 05:53 PM

I don't like the white "Pro" keyboard, because it doesn't tilt up enough, even with the little swing foot. I'm having to use one now on my eMac and I keep mistyping.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2007, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Koralatov View Post
I like your list. I cannot praise the G4 iMac highly enough--it truly is a spectacular machine, and--in my most humble opinion--leagues beyond anything before or since. The 'neck' alone makes the price of admission worthwhile. If you are going to get one, though, I'd recommend giving the 15" models a miss; the screen is too small, it's 4:3 and the bubble looks huge by comparison. I can recommend from personal experience that the 20" model is truly a work of art, and a very capable machine to boot.
Oh, I will definitely get a 20" one. Faster processor, bigger screen, USB 2.0 (necessary for the external HDD and whatnot), Airport Extreme (I will never drop $70 on an Airport card, sorry)... those were hot, hot machines.

When I get a condo, I'm almost assuredly going to get one to put in my kitchen or living room.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2007, 12:27 AM

I dislike this generation of Apple keyboard so much. Look at the 'ditches' (that's what I called them), I have to buy the iSkin keyboard cover for it. Not to mention, the USB ports are located on the front.

Koralatov  (op)
Senior User
Oct 10, 2007, 05:10 AM

There was a white "Pro"-style keyboard. It was identical to the black key/clear plastic surround version except that the keys were white.
Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware that a white 'Pro' keyboard had been released—I thought they went straight from black to the just-superceded white one. Despite the massive gaps on the front of the most recent white keyboards, I actually don't mind them. I do agree with Kenneth, though: the USB ports would be better placed on the side rather than the back.

Oh, I will definitely get a 20" one. Faster processor, bigger screen, USB 2.0 (necessary for the external HDD and whatnot), Airport Extreme (I will never drop $70 on an Airport card, sorry)... those were hot, hot machines.
There actually was a 17" with the same specs as the 20", but if you can afford it (or wait the extra time to save up the difference) I would strongly, strongly recommend the 20" over the 17". Extra screen is never a bad thing, especially when it has no impact on the machine's desktop footprint.

I don't know if you know this already, but the 1.25GHz G4 iMacs can actually take 2GB of RAM—one in each slot—and not just the 1GB quoted by Apple. If you're going inside to upgrade the engineer-access RAM, it's probably worth putting in a new (bigger) hard-disk and maybe the internal Bluetooth module ( remember to get the Bluetooth extension cable with it—it is actually required), because opening the thing up is a major pain in the ass. The Airport Extreme card and user-access RAM are dead easy to fit, though.

When I get a condo, I'm almost assuredly going to get one to put in my kitchen or and one to put in my living room.
Fixed! I use my iMac for everything—listening to music, watching DVDs and TV shows, surfing the internet, using iPhoto, email. It's pretty much the cornerstone of my living room, and I get no small amount of pride out of the fact that everyone who sees it is bowled over.

Forum Links
Forum Rules