Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > The Bold Strategy Cotton Thread

The Bold Strategy Cotton Thread (Page 3)
subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 20, 2016, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
I meant sexual assault allegations in general, not specifically the ones against Trump.

Even I find I'm skeptical of a lot those on a case by case basis but if you'd told me that Trump had committed rape or sexual assault at some point in the past, even before this election I wouldn't have had too many doubts. He's a classic entitled, rich, white sociopath frat boy. He might as well be the blueprint for that stereotype in fact.
When it comes to allegations tried in the media, a claim is more likely to get traction the more out-there it is. Jane Schmoe says she got raped in a parking lot, that's (sadly) just another Tuesday. Jane Schmoe says she got raped by an entire lacrosse team, now you're talking clicks.

The analogy I've heard offered was called "the PETA principle", as in how many decent and worthy animal welfare organizations are foremost in your mind versus the obnoxious, crazy-ass, shithead one?

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2016, 01:33 AM

He's a classic entitled, rich, white sociopath frat boy. He might as well be the blueprint for that stereotype in fact.
and you think Clinton is different? Really? How many bodies has she left in her wake? The "suicide rate" for people who have defied her is astronomical. Well beyond anything even remotely plausible. Yet you guys still back her, and do it with zeal. It's mind-boggling, and I can't help but think it makes you sociopathic yourselves.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 21, 2016, 06:49 AM

In case you hadn't noticed, I really don't go in for many conspiracy theories. They just make people look mad or foolish.

There are only two I have any time for:

1. Something is off about the 9/11 attacks. I'm not saying what exactly. It might simply be that we were grossly lied to about the nature of the enemy, but things don't entirely add up. Organisations who want to kill as many people as possible, would have waited until the towers were full and the streets were even busier at rush hour.

2. Rupert Murdoch bought the 1999 Champions League for Manchester United. He bought the ref and he bought the Bayern coach. His company Sky has a bid on the table that had been accepted for ~£660m to buy United at the time, awaiting approval from the monopolies and mergers commission. Bayern were the better side the whole game and lead 1-0 from about 15-20 minutes in from a free kick. 10 minutes before the end, the Bayern coach pulled his two best players on the night (no need to rest them, it was the last game of the season), the ref then conjured up about half an hour of injury time out of nowhere (no goals and no significant stoppages in the second half. It should have been 2 minutes max. Not 5-6). After the game, the Bayern coach said the better team won, despite his side dominating for 80+ minutes and leading for 70+.
The value of the club rocketed to over £1B immediately after the final. Nice profit for Murdoch if the commission hadn't blocked the sale.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 21, 2016, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
When it comes to allegations tried in the media, a claim is more likely to get traction the more out-there it is. Jane Schmoe says she got raped in a parking lot, that's (sadly) just another Tuesday. Jane Schmoe says she got raped by an entire lacrosse team, now you're talking clicks.

The analogy I've heard offered was called "the PETA principle", as in how many decent and worthy animal welfare organizations are foremost in your mind versus the obnoxious, crazy-ass, shithead one?

You'll certainly get more attention making outrageous claims in the media but if they aren't true then it does you very little good. You accuse someone high profile (especially in America) you get a lot of attention from haters even if you're telling the truth. I guess you can score some cash and maybe thats ok if you don't get punished but are the paydays really that big?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 21, 2016, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
and you think Clinton is different? Really? How many bodies has she left in her wake? The "suicide rate" for people who have defied her is astronomical. Well beyond anything even remotely plausible. Yet you guys still back her, and do it with zeal. It's mind-boggling, and I can't help but think it makes you sociopathic yourselves.
The zeal is more about disliking Trump. But I still maintain that most of the negative shit you've swallowed about Hillary is manufactured garbage. Its the result of 30 years of GOP and Fox News and friends conditioning America against her with unsubstantiated nonsense after nonsense. You talk about her like she's a mob boss. Its just so unbelievable.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2016, 10:03 AM

The murder toll isn't as high as with the Mafia, unless you count her "flubs" as SoS, but she and Bill have had some people killed along the way. Hell, there were $billions$ at stake for them and their partners... who also ended up killing themselves, despite not showing symptoms of suicidal levels of depression (most times none at all).

Ex. "Oh dear, I'm rich as hell, politically connected, and can now do whatever I want. I think I'll just eat this bullet." Then they shoot themselves in the back of the head, in the middle of nowhere. Makes sense.

MSNBC reports! dee dee dedede dee dee... "Wealthy contortionist commits suicide in secluded parking lot. Now for sports!"

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2016, 03:06 PM

"Oh, I'm sure she's never been grabbed before."

This has bad optics.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 24, 2016, 03:09 PM

I don't think I'd call that optics

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2016, 03:13 PM

This kills the optics.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 25, 2016, 11:44 AM

Do you have a Politifact link for this allegation?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 25, 2016, 11:49 AM

The zeal is more about disliking Trump. But I still maintain that most of the negative liquor stash. So I can you've swallowed about Hillary is manufactured garbage. Its the result of 30 years of GOP and Fox News and friends conditioning America against her with unsubstantiated nonsense after nonsense. You talk about her like she's a mob boss. Its just so unbelievable.
I agree.

Besides, while I'd like to think that Bernie Sanders' record is more pristine, we all thought of Obama as having an untainted record, and while there were no major publicized scandals during his administration, there are a lot of partial truths and morally gray area about his policies and actions according to a source like Politifact.

The fact is, it is virtually impossible to escape this many years in politics without some sort of tarnish. The GOP has spent years and years looking for enough tarnish to take down the Clintons and couldn't, so now they are basically just turning to conspiracy theory and deceiving the public into thinking that this might be a thing, which is easy to seem plausible given the tarnish factor I was describing.

I've yet to see any actual fact-based and fact-checked Clinton tarnish that is really beyond the pale for a politician.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2016, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Do you have a Politifact link for this allegation?
What a terribly biased organization. I've given enough links, nothing would ever convince you anyway.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2016, 12:57 PM

What a terribly biased organization. I've given enough links, nothing would ever convince you anyway.
Why do you feel they are biased?

What do you consider to not be biased, and how do you determine this?

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2016, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Why do you feel they are biased?

What do you consider to not be biased, and how do you determine this?
That's easy, all news is biased. The corporate, pro-establishment, mainstream variety, which is in the DNC's pocket, is simply the worst.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2016, 09:07 PM

That's easy, all news is biased. The corporate, pro-establishment, mainstream variety, which is in the DNC's pocket, is simply the worst.
Given the sources you've been citing of late, your credibility on this subject is in tatters, though frankly this statement alone would have done it too.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2016, 11:02 PM

We all have to believe something. What you've said here is a belief that the mainstream media cannot be trusted. How do you know that your sources can be? How do you differentiate between bias, unfounded conspiracy theory, and accurate reporting and information you just don't want to acknowledge?

Forum Links
Forum Rules