Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Blu-ray/HD DVD... Who is winning?

View Poll Results: Which do you have? (Choose only ONE. Includes stand-alones and game consoles.)
Poll Options:
HD DVD 34 votes (17.09%)
Blu-ray 87 votes (43.72%)
Both 14 votes (7.04%)
Neither 70 votes (35.18%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll
Blu-ray/HD DVD... Who is winning? (Page 34)
Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2007, 02:13 AM

Another thought: if you rent DVDs, scratches makes them sometimes unplayable (usually just after the begin of the exciting scenes).

How is the sensitivity of Blu-Ray and HD-DVD regarding to scraches?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 20, 2007, 02:48 AM

I'm not sure about HD-DVD, but Blu-ray is amazingly scratch resistant.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2007, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Well to be honest there are only about 3 titles on HD that I really want and I am not spending $300 for a player for just them.

That is laughable to me.
Just for shits and giggles I pulled up the top 25 movies in the Blu-Ray section on Netflix. There is literally ONE movie I would even watch from that list, and none that I'd say I like. There's no way I'm spending $600 on a PS3 just for that.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 20, 2007, 10:09 AM

I'm curious as to why he's making such a big deal of there are only 3 movies he wants....

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2007, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Just for shits and giggles I pulled up the top 25 movies in the Blu-Ray section on Netflix. There is literally ONE movie I would even watch from that list, and none that I'd say I like. There's no way I'm spending $600 on a PS3 just for that.
Well there you have it, I guess we both made the right decisions on which format to choose. Strange you only looked at the top 25 though but have it your way.

Like it or not though BR has more titles, more studio's and more in the pipeline though.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2007, 10:44 AM

Well there you have it, I guess we both made the right decisions on which format to choose. Strange you only looked at the top 25 though but have it your way.

Like it or not though BR has more titles, more studio's and more in the pipeline though.
Actually HD-DVD has more releases coming up, not BluRay. I'll get some numbers if you really want them.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 20, 2007, 10:56 AM

Early adopters will always pay more. Eventually, Blu-ray and HD DVD players will eventually cost about the same.

Also, if you have a 1080p TV, it's hard watching a regular DVD after seeing a HD film. There are plenty of Blu-ray movies I would like to watch.

- The Departed
- GoodFellas
- The Silence of the Lambs
- The Untouchables
- The Usual Suspect
- Blazing Saddles
- Crash
- Enter the Dragon

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2007, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post
- The Departed on HD-DVD
- GoodFellas on HD-DVD
- The Silence of the Lambs
- The Untouchables on HD-DVD
- The Usual Suspect
- Blazing Saddles on HD-DVD
- Crash
- Enter the Dragonon HD-DVD
So 5/8 are on HD-DVD... I'm not saying there aren't movies on Blu-Ray that aren't worth watching, but anything I'm interested in is either on HD-DVD or not in HD at all. The only exception will be Spider-Man 2 when it's released, but I don't care enough about it to purchase a player just for that movie.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 20, 2007, 11:17 AM

So what's your point jokell82? You didn't say "Blu-ray only." Also, I named three Blue-ray only movies that I would like to see. I'm sure I can name more.

I'm wondering how the pro HD DVD people are going to spin the Blockbuster announcement that they will only be offering Blu-Ray. IMHO, it is a near knock out blow to HD-DVD. Blockbuster indicated that over 70% of their HD rentals were Blu-ray.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 20, 2007, 11:34 AM

What a bizarre methodology. Why would you use the top 25 lists as a way to determine if you like what is available on a particular format? I'd say that the Blu-ray list has more mainstream, blockbuster type movies because the majority of Blu-ray renters are PS3 owners (a rather wide spectrum of people) while HD-DVD renters are movie buffs. (BTW if you prefer what's on the HD-DVD top 25 list, 15 out of 25 are also available on Blu-ray.)

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2007, 11:48 AM

A thought occurs:

What if this format war ends up a stalemate? If it turns into something like the console wars, where you buy the console based on either brand preference, or exclusives. Possible?

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2007, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
More studio's what?
I hope you do that out of boredom and not anality.

Edit: This post has been sent back in time to kill John Connor.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 20, 2007, 11:56 AM

...more studio's and more in the pipeline though.
More studio's what?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2007, 12:19 PM

Amazing. The PS3 upscaling is already considered the best but now it seems they are going to make it even better:

Future PS3 firmware updates could improve upscaling 30% to 40% - PS3 Fanboy

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 20, 2007, 12:26 PM

Amazing. The PS3 upscaling is already considered the best but now it seems they are going to make it even better:

Future PS3 firmware updates could improve upscaling 30% to 40% - PS3 Fanboy
"The dynamic duo also believe they can give this performance boost without additional fan noise, further believing in a future, fanless PS3 console. Very cool indeed."

LOL. This reminds me of the first time my friend ran his PS3 in his home theatre cabinet. We closed the door to the cabinet and the fans on the PS3 started spinning up until they were literally as loud as a vacuum and you couldn't actually hear the movie over the PS3. My friend eventually had me get up to open the door to the cabinet, and the PS3 seemed to cool off and the fans spun back down. I told my friend maybe he should get some ducting in the cabinet around the PS3.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2007, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
What a bizarre methodology. Why would you use the top 25 lists as a way to determine if you like what is available on a particular format?
Bizarre? I just didn't want to spend an hour looking through the entire selection. I can go through the whole thing later with you if you want.

HD-DVD just has more quality movies coming out, while Blu-Ray has all the summer blockbusters. You can have Pirates of the Caribbean, I don't want it. I will take Heroes and BSG when they come out in a couple of months, though...

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 20, 2007, 12:47 PM

HD-DVD just has more quality movies coming out, while Blu-Ray has all the summer blockbusters. You can have Pirates of the Caribbean, I don't want it. I will take Heroes and BSG when they come out in a couple of months, though...
According to SWG, those are coming to Bluray when Universal switches any day now...
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2007, 01:07 PM

Halo on the PS3, not the 360 (thanks to Blu-ray) - PS3 Fanboy

This is kinda funny. The Halo movie only being available on Blu-ray.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2007, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Halo on the PS3, not the 360 (thanks to Blu-ray) - PS3 Fanboy

This is kinda funny. The Halo movie only being available on Blu-ray.
Technically it's possible, but Fox doesn't really make Blu-Ray discs anyway. More than likely it means it'll only make it to DVD and (better for MS) the XBL Marketplace. And it may be in HD there...

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2007, 01:24 PM

Well, it will probably be at least 3 or more years before the Halo movie makes it to home video... so it's doubtful that the format war will still be raging, so this will be a complete non-issue.

It's just kind-of funny, that's all.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2007, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Well, it will probably be at least 3 or more years before the Halo movie makes it to home video... so it's doubtful that the format war will still be raging, so this will be a complete non-issue.

It's just kind-of funny, that's all.
I agree.

As long as it can live up to the cinematic quality that Doom set the bar for, I'll be watching it.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 20, 2007, 01:32 PM

HD-DVD just has more quality movies coming out, while Blu-Ray has all the summer blockbusters.
I just don't see what you're basing that statement on. Have you actually looked at the release schedules for the two formats? Someone posted a list of releases earlier in the thread.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2007, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
LOL. This reminds me of the first time my friend ran his PS3 in his home theatre cabinet. We closed the door to the cabinet and the fans on the PS3 started spinning up until they were literally as loud as a vacuum and you couldn't actually hear the movie over the PS3. My friend eventually had me get up to open the door to the cabinet, and the PS3 seemed to cool off and the fans spun back down. I told my friend maybe he should get some ducting in the cabinet around the PS3.
Ya great story problem is the PS3 is known to be quite as hell. Way more quite than the 360 and in some cases even the underpowered Wii.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 20, 2007, 01:47 PM

Yes, it is very *quiet* as long as it's not, you know, forced into a box with no ventilation.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 20, 2007, 02:29 PM

Ya great story problem is the PS3 is known to be quite as hell.
You think I'm joking? I'm not. As soon as we opened the door it got quiet again, but with the door closed it doesn't last long without the fans spinning up to full speed.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 20, 2007, 02:29 PM

Yes, it is very *quiet* as long as it's not, you know, forced into a box with no ventilation.
So anywhere but a stereo or a/v cabinet. Thanks for reminding me why I prefer a real player over the PS3.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2007, 02:39 PM

So anywhere but a stereo or a/v cabinet. Thanks for reminding me why I prefer a real player over the PS3.
You'd think since it was boxed in you wouldn't be able to hear it but ok.
Boy do I feel guilty about my PS3 purchase now

In the end though joke is on you as the 360 with HD player is waaaaay louder and **** reliability.
( Last edited by analogue SPRINKLES; Jun 20, 2007 at 02:58 PM. )

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2007, 03:02 PM

In the end though joke is on you as the 360 with HD player is waaaaay louder and **** reliability.
Who buys a 360+HD-DVD add-on for watching movies? You only buy that if you're a gamer and want to get into HD movies cheaply. But for half the cost of the 360+add-on you can have a much better standalone.

So I don't know who the joke's on anymore...

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 20, 2007, 03:23 PM

I have a 360 Elite and the HD add-on. Wrong and wrong.

Both the 360 and PS3 are very good players.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2007, 03:28 PM

Who buys a 360+HD-DVD add-on for watching movies? You only buy that if you're a gamer and want to get into HD movies cheaply. But for half the cost of the 360+add-on you can have a much better standalone.

So I don't know who the joke's on anymore...
I guess it is on Eug and his 20 HD-DVD movies, Xbox 360 +HD add on and 2 games that he never plays.

I for one got the PS3 mainly for the BR and turns out it was a smart move as it is the best and cheapest on the market beating stand along upconverting DVD players for 3x as much.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2007, 03:28 PM

I guess it is on Eug and his 20 HD-DVD movies, Xbox 360 +HD add on and 2 games that he never plays.

I for one got the PS3 mainly for the BR and turns out it was a smart move as it is the best and cheapest on the market beating stand along upconverting DVD players for 3x as much.
Cheaper than the $399 Blu-Ray player? Where'd you get your PS3, because if it's less than that I may get one too.

The 360+add-on is not meant for the HT types who primarily watch movies on the device. Will some people use it as such? Yes, but that doesn't mean it's ideal in that role.

Sort of like how some people buy PS3s to play games on.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 20, 2007, 03:33 PM

That was the absurd part. It was boxed in and it still drowned out the tv.

I didn't actually say anything at the time, I just let it get louder and louder until my PS3 supporting friend finally had to ask me to open the cabinet because his PS3 was getting way too loud. I wanted to wait for the satisfaction of having him admit his PS3 was drowning out the movie.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2007, 03:39 PM

I wanted to wait for the satisfaction of having him admit his PS3 was drowning out the movie.
And I bet you had to go into the other room after to fish yourself off

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2007, 03:42 PM

Cheaper than the $399 Blu-Ray player? Where'd you get your PS3, because if it's less than that I may get one too.
You need to show me where they sold a $399 BR player last november.

Even then I still don't buy a $400 stand along BR player when I can get a PS3 for $600 which does a million times more and looks better doing it.

Oh and I love PS games so it was a bonus.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2007, 03:42 PM

You need to show me where they sold a $399 BR player last november.

Even then I still don't buy a $400 stand along BR player when I can get a PS3 for $600 which does a million times more and looks better doing it.

Oh and I love PS games so it was a bonus.
You didn't say the PS3 *was* the cheapest player, you said it *is* - slight difference.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 20, 2007, 03:50 PM

And I bet you had to go into the other room after to fish yourself off
Well, to be fair the only reason that he got the PS3 was because the store was going to give him a free high def player with his TV, but the only ones they had in the store were the massive piles of unsold PS3's.

It's a temporary solution. He's waiting for a hi def combo changer. There are titles he wants on HD-DVD that he's just living without for now. But him and I have a competition going, so he's doing the best he can to defend the system he's got.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 20, 2007, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
I have a 360 Elite and the HD add-on. Wrong and wrong.

Both the 360 and PS3 are very good players.
Well, he didn't say the 360 wasn't a good player. Just that it is louder (which it is, although the main source of noise is the internal DVD drive, which wouldn't have to spin up if you're watching a movie on the external drive) and that it has terrible reliability, which anecdotally appears to be the case.

I wanted to wait for the satisfaction of having him admit his PS3 was drowning out the movie.
Why does that give you satisfaction? Are we really supposed to believe that you have no grudge against Sony and that you chose to side with HD-DVD purely on the merits of the two formats?

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2007, 04:03 PM

I don't like the PS3, I don't think that's a secret. I also don't see the merit to using a player that is far over powered, that will run hotter, and that will suck far more power than a dedicated player (unless you like PS3 games). But this has nothing to do with my dislike of the Bluray format itself. I actually used to support Bluray.
You really care that a machine has too much power and uses a lot of electricity? Really?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 20, 2007, 04:04 PM

Why does that give you satisfaction? Are we really supposed to believe that you have no grudge against Sony and that you chose to side with HD-DVD purely on the merits of the two formats?
I don't like the PS3, I don't think that's a secret. I also don't see the merit to using a player that is far over powered, that will run hotter, and that will suck far more power than a dedicated player (unless you like PS3 games). But this has nothing to do with my dislike of the Bluray format itself. I actually used to support Bluray.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 20, 2007, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
You really care that a machine has too much power and uses a lot of electricity? Really?
More electricity means it puts off more heat. More heat means it overheats and the fans come on full blast when you put it inside your home theater cabinet. It also means the internal components are more prone to failure (see XBox 360).

A device should never use more electricity than it has to. That's engineering common sense.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2007, 04:38 PM

Good news Blu-Ray supporters: BD+ has now gone live! Yay DRM!

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2007, 04:42 PM

More electricity means it puts off more heat. More heat means it overheats and the fans come on full blast when you put it inside your home theater cabinet. It also means the internal components are more prone to failure (see XBox 360).
Yes, the heat is a valid criticism. But you already mentioned that.

A device should never use more electricity than it has to. That's engineering common sense.
Is this some kind of deal breaker for you?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 20, 2007, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
Yes, the heat is a valid criticism. But you already mentioned that.

Is this some kind of deal breaker for you?
Here's my gauge. If I bought a top of the line DVD upscaler (which is what my friend was using his PS3 for), say the Oppo, do you think it's fans would come on if it was inside a home theatre cabinet and drown out the movie?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 20, 2007, 05:02 PM

Good news Blu-Ray supporters: BD+ has now gone live! Yay DRM!
If that means that Fox titles will start appearing now, then yay!

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2007, 05:02 PM

Can I use my harmony remote with it?

Deal breaker.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2007, 05:04 PM

If that means that Fox titles will start appearing now, then yay!
Hah! But you wouldn't rather them go to HD-DVD? With no region coding and very minimal DRM?

I'd rather not support technology that simply exists to screw over paying customers. Because hackers will get around this. J6P will not.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2007, 05:10 PM

Concerning Blu-ray and HD DVD, Taylor commented, "I'm giving a very politically incorrect answer. I think the battle is over. I think Blu-ray has won."

He said there are two "determining factor[s] ... Who did the content providers select? At the moment, overwhelmingly, the content providers have selected Blu-ray. What are consumers buying? Since the beginning of the year content [sales have been] almost two to one for Blu-ray."

TWICE: This Week In Consumer Electronics

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 20, 2007, 05:12 PM

Hah! But you wouldn't rather them go to HD-DVD? With no region coding and very minimal DRM?

I'd rather not support technology that simply exists to screw over paying customers. Because hackers will get around this. J6P will not.
It would be nice if there were no region codes or DRM, but those are precisely what has attracted so many studios to the BR side.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 20, 2007, 05:12 PM

Concerning Blu-ray and HD DVD, Taylor commented, "I'm giving a very politically incorrect answer. I think the battle is over. I think Blu-ray has won."

He said there are two "determining factor[s] ... Who did the content providers select? At the moment, overwhelmingly, the content providers have selected Blu-ray. What are consumers buying? Since the beginning of the year content [sales have been] almost two to one for Blu-ray."

TWICE: This Week In Consumer Electronics
The CEO of a company that only makes Bluray players says Bluray has won.

Well color me shocked. Thank you SWG for bringing us this surprising news.

Next thing you know Sony will tell us the PS3 is sold out everywhere...

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2007, 05:25 PM

The CEO of a company that only makes Bluray players says Bluray has won.

Well color me shocked. Thank you SWG for bringing us this surprising news.

Next thing you know Sony will tell us the PS3 is sold out everywhere...
Lets just admit no matter what the pro BR news even if they are at 90% sales over HD you will just discredit it one way or another.

So don't bother. we get it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules