Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New iMacs available

New iMacs available (Page 4)
AlanSteven
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2005, 03:11 PM

If anyone already has the new iMac, can you tell whether there's been any change to the capacitors and midplanes that caused so much trouble in the last version? I'm eager to get the new iMac but don't want to face all the problems that were reported about the last one. Thanks

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
May 20, 2005, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by AlanSteven
If anyone already has the new iMac, can you tell whether there's been any change to the capacitors and midplanes that caused so much trouble in the last version? I'm eager to get the new iMac but don't want to face all the problems that were reported about the last one. Thanks
Well I've given Apple the benefit of the doubt and ordered anyway, despite being scared about what I've read about the rev.a machines. Surely they wouldn't make 2 Macs in a row with such faults?

/prays

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 20, 2005, 04:18 PM

AFAIK, the issue with capacitors hit several different manufacturers, and it has since been rectified.

BTW, Canadian purchasers might be interested to find out that Sameday expects to get a big shipment of iMacs in this weekend from Apple.

AlanSteven
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2005, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by WOPR
Well I've given Apple the benefit of the doubt and ordered anyway, despite being scared about what I've read about the rev.a machines. Surely they wouldn't make 2 Macs in a row with such faults?

/prays
I hope you're right. I'd feel better if Apple had ever admitted the problems. Even car makers recall lemons. Good luck with yours.

c2poon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2005, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
AFAIK, the issue with capacitors hit several different manufacturers, and it has since been rectified.

BTW, Canadian purchasers might be interested to find out that Sameday expects to get a big shipment of iMacs in this weekend from Apple.
Yo yo yo! I just go my new 20" iMac today!
I complained on Wednesday about the delay, so the girl upgraded my delivery service. Fedex calls it "international priority" or something. So anyway, it shipped from California on Wednesday and arrived in Mississuaga Ontario the next morning. And then they just delivered it to my house this afternoon, just in time for the long-weekend! Don't worry Eug, I'm sure you'll get yours very soon!

FYI... this is my first Apple computer

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 20, 2005, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by c2poon
Yo yo yo! I just go my new 20" iMac today!
I complained on Wednesday about the delay, so the girl upgraded my delivery service. Fedex calls it "international priority" or something. So anyway, it shipped from California on Wednesday and arrived in Mississuaga Ontario the next morning. And then they just delivered it to my house this afternoon, just in time for the long-weekend!

FYI... this is my first Apple computer
Heh. I guess I should have complained.
Mine shipped on Monday and I don't expect to get it until next week.

Congrats man.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
May 20, 2005, 10:57 PM

Well the expected ship date has come and gone with no confirmation of shipment. By this time Monday, I'll be on the phone with Apple to see how long the delay will be and if they will upgrade my shipping. If they don't I might cancel my order and pick one up at the Apple store 70 miles north of here. Or I might just a refurbished G5 tower.

neilio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2005, 12:26 AM

I ordered a stock 20" iMac yesterday and it shipped today - I found a buyer for my Rev. A 20" iMac and figured it was a good time to jump in and get the upgrade. I love the fact that Macs have such a great resell value!

I'm wondering if the people waiting for their machines ordered stock or if they were customized in any way (not that you can customize these machines that much, now...). FWIW, I'm in Canada (Toronto) and fedex is showing my arrival date as next wednesday.
Cocoatech Design / Marketing
Try Path Finder, the integrated, powerful file browser for Mac OS X for free!
http://www.cocoatech.com/pf.php

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
May 21, 2005, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by the_glassman
Well the expected ship date has come and gone with no confirmation of shipment. By this time Monday, I'll be on the phone with Apple to see how long the delay will be and if they will upgrade my shipping. If they don't I might cancel my order and pick one up at the Apple store 70 miles north of here. Or I might just a refurbished G5 tower.
I ordered a BTO 20" iMac (bluetooth k/b/mouse, 400GB HD, 1GB RAM and AppleCare) late on the evening of 5/13, and my "order status" has been showing "shipping on or before 5/20" since then. At 6:45pm (Pacific) tonight, it changed to "shipped," and the FedEx tracking number just says "package data transmitted to FedEx," so it actually hasn't REALLY shipped yet. FedEx gives a delivery date of next Thursday, 5/26.

The anticipation is killing me! Hope this week goes by fast - can't wait to open it up and enjoy it!

iBorg

the_glassman
Mac Elite
May 21, 2005, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by iBorg
I ordered a BTO 20" iMac (bluetooth k/b/mouse, 400GB HD, 1GB RAM and AppleCare) late on the evening of 5/13, and my "order status" has been showing "shipping on or before 5/20" since then. At 6:45pm (Pacific) tonight, it changed to "shipped," and the FedEx tracking number just says "package data transmitted to FedEx," so it actually hasn't REALLY shipped yet. FedEx gives a delivery date of next Thursday, 5/26.

The anticipation is killing me! Hope this week goes by fast - can't wait to open it up and enjoy it!

iBorg
I ordered the same setup with the exception of the RAM and Apple care on the exact same day and now my ship date has changed to on or before 5/31/05!

Apple will be hearing from me on Monday!

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2005, 11:47 AM

Hmmm... My iMac is in Toronto. In fact, it arrived yesterday. It could have been picked up yesterday, but when I checked it yesterday hadn't shown up in tracking system yet, and they're closed now until Tuesday.

trip
Forum Regular
May 21, 2005, 07:24 PM

I just got my new iMac last night....20 inch 2G. Sweeeeet !!!!
Never ordered, just walked into compusmart, and there were 20 on the shelf ..

Coming from a G3 400, to a G5 2G is AbsaF%$inglutly amazing !!!!
"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations". --David Friedman

the_glassman
Mac Elite
May 23, 2005, 10:13 AM

Those tricky b@$tards!!! I was going to call this morning to cancel and order a Powermac or go to the Apple Mini store and I received an e-mail confirmation of shipment. iMac it is for me.

Butch Hauke
May 23, 2005, 09:48 PM

I ordered my base model from MacZone and had it in two days. It really is a beautiful machine (they look so much better in person) and a big step up in speed from my G4/450 Sawtooth. I did notice 1 bad pixel on mine (stuck on red). Bummer. I also bought an external LaCie d2 DVD dual layer burner, so I can do straight copies of discs. Now I just need to get another 512Mb of RAM and I'll be a real happy camper.

Butch
iMac Aluminum 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo/20"/4GB RAM
iPod touch 16Gb (Black Diamond) in an iSkin touch
AppleTV 40GB / Koss KSC-75

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2005, 01:24 PM

Got it! w00t!

Now my 20" 2.0 is just sitting in the box on the floor of my office. I'll take off a bit early today to play with it at home.

To my surprise, because I ordered the wireless kbd/mouse option, it doesn't come with the wired ones. I kinda wanted the wired keyboard too. Luckily it's cheap if I do decide to get it later. I like the integrated USB ports. However, are they just USB 1.1 on the keyboard?

the_glassman
Mac Elite
May 24, 2005, 05:00 PM

Yes if you BTO the BT Keyboard/Mouse option the wired set is replaced with the BT set. The USB ports on the Apple Keyboard are 1.1 only! Get some pictures and run some benchmarks and let us know your findings!!!
Mine is supposed to be here this Friday after already receiving the VESA mount and Airport Express.

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
May 24, 2005, 05:34 PM

I have a 700 MHz FS G4 iMac and am seriously considering a new 1.8 GHz G5 iMac with an extra gig of RAM. My G4 still seems pretty fast to me. It has a gig of RAM. The main things I do with it are surf the web and burn DVDs from my DV camcorder. Just wondering if anyone here can help push me over the edge and order the G5

Commodus
Mac Elite
May 24, 2005, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Dale Sorel
I have a 700 MHz FS G4 iMac and am seriously considering a new 1.8 GHz G5 iMac with an extra gig of RAM. My G4 still seems pretty fast to me. It has a gig of RAM. The main things I do with it are surf the web and burn DVDs from my DV camcorder. Just wondering if anyone here can help push me over the edge and order the G5
It's not too hard to imagine why you'd want a faster one. An iMac G5 will run Tiger more capably (full CoreImage support, better handling of Dashboard widgets). Also, it means that your system will be ready if/when you go to HD-quality video.

Oh, and let's not forget: the newest iMacs support dual-layer DVD burning, meaning that you can produce higher-quality (or simply longer-running) DVDs.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
May 25, 2005, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by the_glassman
Get some pictures and run some benchmarks and let us know your findings!!!
For those interested, here are some performance results.

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
May 25, 2005, 06:46 AM

Got it! w00t!

Now my 20" 2.0 is just sitting in the box on the floor of my office. I'll take off a bit early today to play with it at home.

To my surprise, because I ordered the wireless kbd/mouse option, it doesn't come with the wired ones. I kinda wanted the wired keyboard too. Luckily it's cheap if I do decide to get it later. I like the integrated USB ports. However, are they just USB 1.1 on the keyboard?
Congrats, Eug!!!

Like you, I plan to use wireless BT keyboard/mouse, but I'm going to have to order a wired set, too - you can't do "fsck -y" in single user mode using wireless BT, which I find necessary to run periodically.

My 20" should be here tomorrow - hard to say, though, since the Fed Ex website tracker lists my order as leaving Sacramento at 8:11am on 5/21, and there's NO updated tracking since then! (Hope it doesn't mean those yahoos lost my iMac ...... )

iBorg

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 25, 2005, 06:59 AM

5 stuck pixels.

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
May 25, 2005, 10:00 AM

5 stuck pixels.
My screen was perfect but my capacitors were leaking. See my separate thread for more. Piece of junk!

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2005, 12:50 AM

Got mine at work on tues. The Superdrive is flakey and needs to be serviced, the mouse also gets stuck in the down position every few clicks.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 26, 2005, 01:16 AM

Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2005, 02:02 AM

How long was it out of the box before you got software to find dead pixels and examine every inch for something you can't do anything about?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 26, 2005, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
How long was it out of the box before you got software to find dead pixels and examine every inch for something you can't do anything about?
I found the dead pixels (all 5 of them in fact) just by watching the Batman Begins 720p H.264 trailer. I wasn't even looking for them, but there are some cuts which are all black so it wasn't hard to see them. I then downloaded one of those pixel checkers, but didn't find any more.

Stuck pixels p!ss me off to no end on a laptop. It's not as huge of an issue on a desktop since I never watch DVDs on my desktop, but it still p!sses me off.

What annoys me more though is the slight fan noise. It's hard going to even just mild fan noise when you're used to silence from a Cube. Plus the way my Mac is my placed I'm sure it amplifies the noise slightly.

Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2005, 03:57 PM

What annoys me more though is the slight fan noise. It's hard going to even just mild fan noise when you're used to silence from a Cube. Plus the way my Mac is my placed I'm sure it amplifies the noise slightly.
I think you need to come to terms with the fact that the iMac is not a slow G4 with no fan.
If not you are never going to own another computer.

The new G5 iMac is actually quieter than my Cube because the cube's hard drive makes a high pitched whine.

The fan on the iMac is so damn quite it isn't even worth mentioning.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 26, 2005, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
I think you need to come to terms with the fact that the iMac is not a slow G4 with no fan.
If not you are never going to own another computer.

The new G5 iMac is actually quieter than my Cube because the cube's hard drive makes a high pitched whine.

The fan on the iMac is so damn quite it isn't even worth mentioning.
Yeah, my G4 was slower, but remember, I had a 1.7 GHz G4, so it wasn't the G4 450 you had. And I had a quiet Seagate drive. I had a similar-sized Western Digital in it first but it had that high pitched whine too so I removed it and put in the Seagate. So it was silent when not accessing the drive, regardless of how much CPU work it was doing, and it was near silent when the drive was thrashing.

The iMac has a quieter drive, but the fan kicks it up whe doing anything more than light surfing.

But I'll get used to it. I knew that before I bought the thing, from listening to the iMacs in-store.

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
May 27, 2005, 12:01 AM

OMG! My 20" iMac arrived while I was at work, so I couldn't wait to get home (my wife thought it was to spend time with her - it was a little of both!) I opened the package (couldn't believe how small and light the package was!), fired it up, and I AM AMAZED!!! It looks far bigger at home than it did on the Apple store shelves - big, bright, beautiful - the fastest computer I've ever used, Mac or PC (granted, I avoid using PC's whenever I can .... ). The screen is flawless (not a single stuck pixel!), and even when the fans do run (which is not very often, so far!), it's quieter than my 1 GHz TiBook sitting next to it (and my TiBook wasn't one of the loud ones).

I am quite impressed! I've gotten alot of software loaded, got time to play some WOW and Diablo II, and it's going to take a couple of weeks to wipe the smile off my face!

iBorg
( Last edited by iBorg; May 27, 2005 at 12:08 AM. )

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2005, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by iBorg
couldn't believe how small and light the package was!
Did you mean the empty box or something?

I had to carry that damn thing from my office to my car, and that definitely wasn't very enjoyable. I weighed it when I got home: 37.2 lbs.

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
May 27, 2005, 01:52 AM

I had to carry that damn thing from my office to my car, and that definitely wasn't very enjoyable. I weighed it when I got home: 37.2 lbs.
LOL - are you kidding? Only 37 pounds for a HUGE 20" monitor and G5 2GHz computer? Try lugging the equivalent G5 tower with 20" flat panel home in one hand!

Seriously, I'm surprised at how small the packaging was, and that it only weighted 1 pound more than the computer itself, yet is perfectly protected, and arrived in pristine condition.

Hope you're enjoying your new iMac as much as I am mine. I've absolutely LOVED using my 1 GHz TiBook as my main computer for the past 2 1/2 years - but it's really hard to go back to using that now, with its dimmer (and smaller) screen, louder fans, and slower processing.

My only problem is that you can't do a file system check in single user mode with bluetooth keyboard/mouse. Also, my updated DiskWarrior 3.0.3 won't boot this iMac, so I have to order a new disk.

iBorg

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
May 27, 2005, 08:29 AM

Just remember to remove the back regularly and check your capacitors...

Butch Hauke
May 27, 2005, 09:01 PM

Took mine off today to install an extra 512Mb of RAM. Everything looks pristine and the extra memory worked no problem. I will check inside again in a few months to see if there are any problem capacitors. I'm sure hoping that Apple solved this issue and that yours was just an isolated incident.

Butch
iMac Aluminum 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo/20"/4GB RAM
iPod touch 16Gb (Black Diamond) in an iSkin touch
AppleTV 40GB / Koss KSC-75

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
May 30, 2005, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by WOPR
Has that still been a problem with Rev B iMac G5's? I guess I haven't seen that, but if so, I'll have to look into what I need to check in this regard.

iBorg

Eynstyn
Grizzled Veteran
May 31, 2005, 01:06 AM

I've been hearing about new iMacs going up in smoke. Is this what causes that, the capacitors? How do you check them? Where can I get info about this???
President Bush, Get Out Of Iraq Now!

belafonte
May 31, 2005, 03:08 PM

I want to know of what programs you use to check how many dead pixels you have?
I recieved my 17" imac and it looks beautiful... I haven't noticed any "dead pixels" but then again I wouldn't know what they look like... what do they look like?

discotronic
Mac Elite
May 31, 2005, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by belafonte
I want to know of what programs you use to check how many dead pixels you have?
I recieved my 17" imac and it looks beautiful... I haven't noticed any "dead pixels" but then again I wouldn't know what they look like... what do they look like?
Try this one:

http://www.bjorgs.com/wiki/index.php...Test#Downloads

Hodog16
May 31, 2005, 08:57 PM

How do you check them? Where can I get info about this???
Just slip the back cover off the iMac and look at the capacitors (the round cylindrical thingies). If one's busted it'll be obvious as some brown gunk will be leaking out.

simonjames
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2005, 06:38 AM

How long has it been taking BTO iMacs to turn up? Its been 8 business days since I ordered my 20" with 400Gb HD and Gig of RAM and the status hasn't changed to shipped yet
this sig intentionally left blank

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 2, 2005, 10:25 PM

Try lugging it out of an Apple Store, down one wing of a Mall, cut through a Pottery Barn, and then across a parking lot about 30 cars deep.

It's one heavy SOB, but sooooo worth it.

dar77777
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2005, 12:20 AM

I bought my 20" iMac from Yorkdale today and the salesguy used a trolley to bring it to my car. It was a long walk!

I was able to save $115 by showing my U of T card

Anyone know if the bright spots that show up on black backgrounds are considerd a defect?
( Last edited by dar77777; Jun 3, 2005 at 12:31 AM. )

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jun 3, 2005, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by chrisutley
Try lugging it out of an Apple Store, down one wing of a Mall, cut through a Pottery Barn, and then across a parking lot about 30 cars deep.

My car was 3-digit metres away. Probably about the same distance as you describe.

Originally Posted by dar77777
I bought my 20" iMac from Yorkdale today and the salesguy used a trolley to bring it to my car.

Are the bright spots that show up on black backgrounds considerd a defect?
What do you mean by bright spots? If you have a certain number of bright stuck pixels, especially if several of them form a cluster, it could mean you're eligible for a screen replacement.

volcano
Senior User
Jun 3, 2005, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by chrisutley

You didn't by chance buy it at the Apple Store @ Barton Creek Mall in Austin, TX did you? Sounds like the same agony my friends went through.. plus we have a Pottery Barn there.

After idling the Apple store for a while (I was actually hoping one of the employees would approach ME for once - no luck, though) I asked what modifications they could do at the store. My system that I'm ordering in the next day or two isn't too complicated.. just a 20" with 400gb instead of the 250gb & the wireless keyboard and mouse, and I'm buying my ram from Crucial to save some money. The employees just stared at me for a minute or two then one finally spoke up and said they do every modification at the store except the hard drive. Understandable I suppose - I wasn't expecting a rose garden from these employees anyway.

dar77777
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2005, 12:34 AM

What do you mean by bright spots? If you have a certain number of bright stuck pixels, especially if several of them form a cluster, it could mean you're eligible for a screen replacement.
I found an example on another site: http://www.pinoymac.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=25606

Hodog16
Jun 3, 2005, 02:52 AM

How long has it been taking BTO iMacs to turn up? Its been 8 business days since I ordered my 20" with 400Gb HD and Gig of RAM and the status hasn't changed to shipped yet
I ordered my iMac on 5.20.05 with the free shipping option. It shipped on 5.25.05 by FedEx Ground and got to me on 6.1.05, and I live in NC. So Apple beat the estimated delivery date by 1 day.

Mine is identical in specs as yours except I kept the 512 MB RAM option and bought two 1GB sticks from Crucial.

Screen looks great, been really pleased with it for the 1 day I've had it

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2005, 10:19 AM

I would hope that would be considered a defect, because that would be unacceptable to me.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

volcano
Senior User
Jun 6, 2005, 01:36 AM

I ordered my BTO iMac G5 20" with the 400 GB HD, BT keyboard/mouse, and stock 512MB RAM on Friday, June 3. I, too, will be ordering 2 additional 1GB sticks of ram for my machine. I'm hoping that it will be shipped out by next Wednesday. I have patience but the wait is killing me! I want to throw my Windows PC out the window ASAP!

Hodog16
Jun 6, 2005, 11:22 AM

^Great! I know the feeling Apple shipped and delivered the iMac before their estimated dates, so hopefully you'll get yours soon.

This goes without saying but it's worth the wait! If you're looking for a good two-button wireless mouse, I highly recommend the logitech MX 1000, which can be had for around $45 on the internet (MSRP is $80).

virtualmullet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2005, 10:06 PM

I got my iMac from ebay, but the guy gave me the 1.8 20" version instead of the 2.0....So I filed a complaint, we will see what happens.
\

simonjames
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2005, 05:39 PM

not counting the day that I ordered my 20" 1Gb + 400GB HD it took 16 days for mine to arrive!

16 days when the Apple store had an estimate of 5-7 days

Lovely machine
this sig intentionally left blank

Forum Links
Forum Rules