Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Why Is Bush Such A Liar?

Why Is Bush Such A Liar? (Page 4)
boots
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2005, 04:47 PM

I don't rememebr where the number came from (research on biodiesel) but something like 80% of the countries electricity is from coal powered plants. I look around some more and see if I can find it....

Edit: Over 50% total, but nearly 80% of fossile fuel:

A more recent source says that Natural Gas is used for 10% of our electricity and oil is only used for 2%.1999 Environmental Defense (Diss on the source if you must, but give better numbers when you do. Nothing I've seen call the numbers into question, even if the source isn't someone you respect.)
( Last edited by boots; Aug 16, 2005 at 05:09 PM. )

If Heaven has a dress code, I'm walkin to Hell in my Tony Lamas.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2005, 05:35 PM

Think of all the oil-derived products.

plastics, asphalt, tires.

Coal is an ancient and dirty energy source. The time for solar is apon us.

boots
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2005, 05:41 PM

Yeah, oil is 40% of ALL energy consumption in the US, but the talk of solar, nuclear, and hydro power may be misplaced in this discussion.

If Heaven has a dress code, I'm walkin to Hell in my Tony Lamas.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2005, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Y3a
perhaps IF the worlds media outlets were required to tell the facts in proper chronological order then we'd have a lot less folks mad at each other. They are the instigators of most of the conflicts. Dictators use the PR to create enemies like that Nutcase in Korea. the Chinese are in the dark, the Muslim world is lied to as well. In the US we've been lied to by the mainstream liberal media as well (Dam Rather et al) and the UK has the BBC.

That sways public opinion and puts the wrong leadership into office and supports the wrong policies. They should be held accountable for the lies.
I always find it interesting how failings of the media also get the tag "liberal" - the implicit idea that the media is liberal, therefore it sucks, etc.

If you want to make an argument that overall the media tends to the left, make that case. It's not a given though, and it's not an undeniable fact. There are plenty of prominent voices on the right.

Part of the media's job is also to penetrate the fortress that any administration (Democrat or Republican) will put up to retain power and control. With the right in power now, perhaps the left leaning voices of the media have their work cut out for them right now? After all, this is a highly secretive administration.

You do, appreciate this all-important check and balance, right? Or, are you in favor of journalists being thrown in jail?

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2005, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c
If you want to make an argument that overall the media tends to the left, make that case. It's not a given though, and it's not an undeniable fact. There are plenty of prominent voices on the right.
Yeah, but there's a huge difference...

Those "voices on the right" go out of their way to identify themselves as conservative commentators (ie. not journalists), whereas the left-leaning members of the mainstream media try their darndest to portray themselves as objective and non-biased.

Rush Limbaugh will tell you he's conservative, while Dan Rather refuses to acknowledge that he's liberal to the core.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2005, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by spacefreak
Yeah, but there's a huge difference...

Those "voices on the right" go out of their way to identify themselves as conservative commentators (ie. not journalists), whereas the left-leaning members of the mainstream media try their darndest to portray themselves as objective and non-biased.

Rush Limbaugh will tell you he's conservative, while Dan Rather refuses to acknowledge that he's liberal to the core.
Perhaps it makes life easier for you and others to put what Rush says in context, but that definitely doesn't make him a good journalist. A good journalist is neither left nor right, but a servant to the people.

Some journalists are a little transparent in their bias, Rather might be included in this category (I don't know enough about him). However, this is not a desirable quality. We should not be demanding journalists who openly declare themselves as partisan. This is exactly what this country doesn't need right now - more partisan shills that perpetuate the polarization of this government.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2005, 10:41 PM

Perhaps it makes life easier for you and others to put what Rush says in context, but that definitely doesn't make him a good journalist. A good journalist is neither left nor right, but a servant to the people.
My point was that Rush isn't a journalist. He's a commentator and entertainer, and he'd be the first to tell you that.

This is exactly what this country doesn't need right now - more partisan shills that perpetuate the polarization of this government.
Maybe you want to limit speech, but not I. Let everyone have their opinion, no matter how different than yours it may be, and let them find their soapbox. If like-minded people want to listen, then so be it.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2005, 10:54 PM

My point was that Rush isn't a journalist. He's a commentator and entertainer, and he'd be the first to tell you that.
Then why were you comparing him to Rather?

Maybe you want to limit speech, but not I. Let everyone have their opinion, no matter how different than yours it may be, and let them find their soapbox. If like-minded people want to listen, then so be it.
I didn't say anything about limiting speech. I'm sorry if I gave that impression.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2005, 11:01 PM

Then why were you comparing him to Rather?
I wasn't. I was contrasting the two of them: one identifies himself openly as being conservative commentator, while the other goes out of his way to hide his liberal bias and portrays himself as an objective journalist.

The contrast was meant to demonstrate what I feel is the general difference in the ideological self-identification of conservative media personalities versus their left-leaning counterparts.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2005, 11:10 PM

I wasn't. I was contrasting the two of them: one identifies himself openly as being conservative commentator, while the other goes out of his way to hide his liberal bias and portrays himself as an objective journalist.

The contrast was meant to demonstrate what I feel is the general difference in the ideological self-identification of conservative media personalities versus their left-leaning counterparts.
Okay, I guess I'm not understanding your point then...

There are commentators on the left too: John Stewart, Al Frankin, Michael Moore, etc.

Are you saying that the journalists on the left are actually commentators, while the journalists on the right are certified journalists? With the exception of Fox?

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Aug 17, 2005, 12:07 AM

Is that what you are going to do constantly? Whenever someone confronts you with a well reasoned argument, you state something idiotic like "I'm confused" or "I guess I'm not understanding your point then..."..

It was fairly clear to anyone with an 8th grade eduation what he was saying. What didn't you understand?

I don't know, I'm confused... can you explain your point some more?

Atomic Rooster
Aug 17, 2005, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by budster101
Is that what you are going to do constantly? Whenever someone confronts you with a well reasoned argument, you state something idiotic like "I'm confused" or "I guess I'm not understanding your point then..."..

It was fairly clear to anyone with an 8th grade eduation what he was saying. What didn't you understand?

Why do you always attack people?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 17, 2005, 01:37 AM

I don't wish to converse with you like this... I generally prefer my conversations to be with adults.

budster101
Baninated
Aug 17, 2005, 01:41 AM

Atomic Rooster = Besson3C

Why do you both reply to me constantly? Right after one another? Why not stop badgering like a bunch of jerks? You are the SAME person....

Atomic Rooster
Aug 17, 2005, 01:47 AM

Atomic Rooster = Besson3C

Why do you both reply to me constantly? Right after one another? Why not stop badgering like a bunch of jerks? You are the SAME person....
Reportinated.

budster101
Baninated
Aug 17, 2005, 01:50 AM

Did you report yourself?

Forum Links
Forum Rules