Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > SE K700 - Best Bluetooth phone EVAR. (pix)

SE K700 - Best Bluetooth phone EVAR. (pix) (Page 4)
Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Aug 4, 2004, 10:54 PM

Originally posted by MacMcMacintosh:
If anyone wants a Tiger theme for their K700, i have just done a really nice one (much better than any ive previously found on the net IMHO) you can download it from

http://homepage.mac.com/philipclark1/FileSharing8.html

Let me know what you think

(sorry for being a bit off topic!)
Thanks, but I can't get it to work. The K700 says the file is corrupt.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2004, 12:43 PM

The same day I sold my year old T610, my local carrier puts up a page that says it's "coming soon".

Lame. Why are we North Americans so behind the times with these phones? The T610 review I linked above even has pix from almost a year and a half ago at Sony Ericsson's T610 unveiling in Toronto (where I live).

They could at least get the T630/637, which has also been out for months. It's a nice phone and has a mature firmware. (The K700 is too new though.)

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2004, 03:09 PM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
The same day I sold my year old T610, my local carrier puts up a page that says it's "coming soon".

Lame. Why are we North Americans so behind the times with these phones? The T610 review I linked above even has pix from almost a year and a half ago at Sony Ericsson's T610 unveiling in Toronto (where I live).

They could at least get the T630/637, which has also been out for months. It's a nice phone and has a mature firmware. (The K700 is too new though.)
Well, they have the QD which is very new and the P900 which is very advanced, but that is weird they're just getting the T610. I agree, I love my T637, will upgrade when the prices on the K700s drop.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2004, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by maxintosh:
Well, they have the QD which is very new and the P900 which is very advanced, but that is weird they're just getting the T610. I agree, I love my T637, will upgrade when the prices on the K700s drop.
The weird part is that they already had the T616, but they dropped it and are now going T610. It was kinda weird for them to get the T616, because they don't support the 850 band (although some of the US carriers they roam with do). Maybe people wanted a T6xx world phone, and the T616 isn't the best world phone, while the T630 probably costs quite a bit more.

Anyways, with my K700i I'm looking forward to iSync 1.5. iSync 1.4 works with the K700i, but once in a while it acts flaky, and street addresses don't sync over. Titles (ie. position in a company) sync though, at least partially.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2004, 03:43 PM

Does the K700 support street addresses? I can't remember...

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2004, 03:56 PM

Does the K700 support street addresses? I can't remember...
Yes. However, they don't sync over with iSync 1.4.

With the K700 you can have with each contact:

1) Multiple phone numbers
2) Email address
3) Web address
4) Associated picture, ringtone, and voice activation.
5) Title
6) Company
7) Street
8) City
9) State
10) Country
11) Zip Code
12) Info (whatever that means - a note maybe?)

Hopefully iSync 1.5 will be able to sync this stuff, because I still have to rely on my iPod for street address and notes from Address Book.

P.S. I just installed an iPod theme for this phone. Looks just like the bland green/black monochrome iPod screen now.

EDIT:

Regarding RF, as I said this phone seems to be a bit better than the T610 looking at the bars, but I can't really say my T610 worked fine before wherever I went.

However, it's definitely better than the Z200. My GF has that phone and she have no signal at all where I could have an uninterrupted call.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Aug 5, 2004 at 04:10 PM. )

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2004, 01:53 PM

The letters in the firmware are usually just small customizations for brands or languages. It's the numbers you should be interested in. Look out for R3* or R4*.

I'm waiting for the T637's upgrade to give it the same enhancements the T616 got.
R2L is now available, and apparently it corrects most of the bugs. It is supposedly being distributed to SE service centres (at least in Sweden), so that means it should be an official firmware release. R2E/R2J were never official firmware releases. R2L is available here in Toronto at some shops, too.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2004, 03:25 PM

Yep, R2L seems so far to correct battery meter problems, and has a lot of other improvements so far. Updating through a PC should be possible soon, but for now you have to go to a service center. Boo.

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 7, 2004, 03:53 AM

Originally posted by Peter:
Nokia 6230 = winnah
The main "joystick" thingy (whatever you call it) is a joke.

The UI is weird too.

In some menus or app, you can press down on the joystick thingy and in some others, you gotta press the left soft key.

mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

im_noahselby
Senior User
Aug 7, 2004, 05:04 AM

The reason why Fido has decided to "re"-release this phone is because it's now going to be offered as a budget phone in their lineup. It's nice because people like me, who want a bar design, bluetooth, camera, and other cool features will now be able to get this phone at a really attractive price.

The T630/T637 likely costed more than the T610 in large quantities. So that's probbably why Fido opted to go with the T610. A lower priced T610 is definitely a good thing! (On a side note, Rogers will be getting the T637 )

Lastly, A LOT of people still ask about the T616 at Fido stores. So it's popularity, at least in the GVA, is still high up there. I think it will do quite well...

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2004, 10:16 AM

Originally posted by im_noahselby:
(On a side note, Rogers will be getting the T637 )
They already have it if you call and ask for it for the past month. I am thinking of getting it.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

im_noahselby
Senior User
Aug 7, 2004, 02:21 PM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
They already have it if you call and ask for it for the past month. I am thinking of getting it.
Oh! I thought Rogers delayed this phone to clear inventories of the T616. As, it's still not listed on their website, at least not since they removed it from their site, nor have I seen it on display at any of their stores. I was expecting it in late August or early September...

It's personally my favourite SE phone. It's just a shame Fido won't be getting it.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2004, 07:26 PM

I've seen it and it's nice, but not that much of an improvement over the T616. And pretty much every sales guy I've talked to said don't bother if you already own the T616 (unless you're getting a wicked deal on it).

rambo47
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2004, 09:27 PM

I currently have a SE T610 and it's been terrific. I love the Bluetooth for syncing with my PowerBook and for the wireless headset. For me too, no Bluetooth is a dealbreaker. But as much as I like the T610, my next phone has got to be one of these: Motoroal MPx. I know the price is going to be buck-wild over-the-top insane. It will probably be thich as hell, too. And with PocketPC as the OS there may be no syncing with my PowerBook. And I still want one. Bad.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2004, 11:58 PM

Hmmm... It seems you can upgrade the firmware for this phone yourself, as long as you have a the DSS-25 or DSS-25 USB docking station (Windows only). These are about $20.

However, it requires a connection to Sony Ericsson's firmware upgrade website, and it was only up (for testing?) for a few days before it went back down again.

Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2004, 01:01 AM

I've seen it and it's nice, but not that much of an improvement over the T616. And pretty much every sales guy I've talked to said don't bother if you already own the T616 (unless you're getting a wicked deal on it).
They will give it to me for free if I threaten to cancel.

rg109
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2004, 05:19 PM

Does anyone else have any real experience of using this phone with the new version of Salling Clicker (2.2). I'd really like to know how good the compatibility is, as i'm looking at both the K700i and T630 for my next phone.

If the K700 doesn't play well with Salling Clicker i'll probably go for the tried and tested T630 instead of relying on future firmware updates that may never appear .

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2004, 09:58 PM

Originally posted by rg109:
Does anyone else have any real experience of using this phone with the new version of Salling Clicker (2.2). I'd really like to know how good the compatibility is, as i'm looking at both the K700i and T630 for my next phone.

If the K700 doesn't play well with Salling Clicker i'll probably go for the tried and tested T630 instead of relying on future firmware updates that may never appear .
OS X 10.3.5 adds additional bluetooth support, which I assume includes for the K700, because Salling has just released the K700/S700 compatible Salling Remote Basics 1.0 software, which requires 10.3.5. Free!

This includes controllers for:

DVD Player
EyeTV
VLC
iTunes
Keynote
PowerPoint

The software installed fine on my K700i under the remote section, but I can't get it to work. Maybe I'll upgrade to the R2L firmware for the K700 and see what happens.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2004, 01:15 AM

OMG it's awesome. Works now that I re-paired it (this time from the Mac) and then re-set it up.

Video

iSync also works fine too, although street addresses still don't work.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Aug 10, 2004 at 02:01 AM. )

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2004, 03:22 PM

iSync 1.5 released

Apple has released iSync 1.5 (also available through Software Update), which adds support for more devices, including the latest Sony Ericsson and Motorola phones. iSync 1.5 allows users to manage contacts, calendars, To Do lists, and Safari bookmarks across multiple Mac OS X computers and devices. iSync 1.5 requires iCal 1.5.2, released earlier this year; Bluetooth functionality requires Bluetooth 1.5.

Heh, the K700 is one of the phones shown on the front page.

Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2004, 03:50 PM

So I have been reading and it seems that the K700 is not the replacement for the T61x's. That sucker is still under development.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2004, 04:59 PM

So I have been reading and it seems that the K700 is not the replacement for the T61x's. That sucker is still under development.
Where have you been reading this? Anyways, the K700 most definitely is a direct replacement for the T610/T630. There might be other phones coming of course though.

BTW, iCal's all day events now work with the T61x with iSync 1.5. I'll test all day events and street addresses with my K700 tonite.

Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2004, 06:42 PM

Where have you been reading this? Anyways, the K700 most definitely is a direct replacement for the T610/T630. There might be other phones coming of course though.

BTW, iCal's all day events now work with the T61x with iSync 1.5. I'll test all day events and street addresses with my K700 tonite.
Well if it was a replacement you would think it would be called Tsomething. Several websites have mentioned that the K model is too expensive and they are making a more affordable T-model.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2004, 07:19 PM

Glad to hear the K700 is a nice upgrade. Personally, I'd only get it if Sony has made big strides improving RF performance -- much as I try to ignore the problem on my T610, I can't help but remember that its main function is to be a mobile phone.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2004, 08:16 PM

iSync 1.5 now officially supports the K700i. It worked before but sometimes it was a bit flaky. Now it's solid.

Note the "Set up iSync" box is no longer greyed out. And also note the "remote control" box.

All day events also work now with the K700i.

They get saved as 24 hour events. Also if you delete the event from the K700i, it does NOT delete it in iCal. They are read only. The next time you sync it reappears. You have to delete the event in iCal to get rid of it permanently.

However, street addresses STILL don't work. Disappointing.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 05:05 PM

Agreed that iSync 1.5 did the trick. Has anyone tried Salling's Remote Basics with the k700? It's pretty slick. You can control iTunes, EyeTV, DVD Player, VLC, PowerPoint, and Keynote. You can even use the joystick of the k700 to move the mouse cursor on the Mac. And it's free!

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 11, 2004, 10:36 PM

Originally posted by JHromadka:
Agreed that iSync 1.5 did the trick. Has anyone tried Salling's Remote Basics with the k700? It's pretty slick. You can control iTunes, EyeTV, DVD Player, VLC, PowerPoint, and Keynote. You can even use the joystick of the k700 to move the mouse cursor on the Mac. And it's free!
Scroll up a few messages. I posted there. Also, I linked a video.

im_noahselby
Senior User
Aug 12, 2004, 07:05 PM

However, street addresses STILL don't work. Disappointing.
I just have a quick question and I didn't see the point of creating a new thread if someone here can answer it.

Does the T610 have street adresses and do they work?
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2004, 07:58 PM

I just have a quick question and I didn't see the point of creating a new thread if someone here can answer it.

Does the T610 have street adresses and do they work?
The T610 does not support street addresses.

rmongold
Aug 13, 2004, 10:28 AM

Hmmm... It seems you can upgrade the firmware for this phone yourself, as long as you have a the DSS-25 or DSS-25 USB docking station (Windows only). These are about $20.

However, it requires a connection to Sony Ericsson's firmware upgrade website, and it was only up (for testing?) for a few days before it went back down again.
EUG - it appears that the DSS-25 is discontinued (based on Expansys-USA's information). Any other models of the base station that will let you upgrade your firmware (when it becomes available)?

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2004, 10:54 AM

The DSS-20 is supposed to work. I already have mine in and am waiting for SE to reopen the firmware update site.

Le Flaneur
Senior User
Aug 14, 2004, 11:43 PM

Originally posted by JHromadka:
BTW, there are a few quad-band phones that use 850/900/1800/1900 GSM, for example the PalmOne Treo 600.
Can the Treos be unlocked for use with other providers, say in Europe?

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2004, 01:36 PM

I can officially say now that the R2L firmware corrects the battery issue. Or I should say that the firmware at least corrects the reading of the battery.

With light usage, after 3 days the phone still says I have over half the battery left. With the old firmware it was in the red near empty after 2.5 days. However, reports are that the phone was just misreading the battery, since some people were getting 3 days of standby time with the battery in the red.

rmongold
Aug 15, 2004, 04:11 PM

I can officially say now that the R2L firmware corrects the battery issue. Or I should say that the firmware at least corrects the reading of the battery.

With light usage, after 3 days the phone still says I have over half the battery left. With the old firmware it was in the red near empty after 2.5 days. However, reports are that the phone was just misreading the battery, since some people were getting 3 days of standby time with the battery in the red.
So would that ultimately mean that the battery life is not nearly as horrible as it was first reported and that it was just the software mis-representing how much charge was left? If that's so, what a wonderful world! My K700 should be here by Tuesday evening. Gotta love it!

Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2004, 09:14 PM

And how much more did the update cost you on top of the $600 for the phone. I hope it was free.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2004, 09:31 PM

And how much more did the update cost you on top of the $600 for the phone. I hope it was free.
It was CAD$40. You can do it for free if you have the right adapters, but you can't flash it via Bluetooth. If you're buying a new K700i you should ask for the latest firmware.

Anyways, it's no different than with my T610. After I got that, I got it flashed later to a newer firmware, for the same price as what it cost me to flash the K700.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2004, 09:59 PM

Anyways, it's no different than with my T610. After I got that, I got it flashed later to a newer firmware, for the same price as what it cost me to flash the K700.
Ya but that t610 was a year old when you got it, you just bought this phone and you already have to spend more money on it which is a shame.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2004, 10:41 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Ya but that t610 was a year old when you got it, you just bought this phone and you already have to spend more money on it which is a shame.
Well, them's the breaks for the early adopter.

New K700 phones from here on in should come with the new firmware. (Well, starting next month or something. There will probably be a lot for quite some time still in the channel with R2A. AFAIK, R2L is the first "official" firmware after R2A.)

im_noahselby
Senior User
Aug 15, 2004, 10:41 PM

$600+ is A LOT of money for a phone... I hope it was worth it

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2004, 10:43 PM

[B]$600+ is A LOT of money for a phone... I hope it was worth it
CAD$600 (all inclusive), which is about US$450. It was a local purchase. For US mail order it's about $370.

rmongold
Aug 16, 2004, 08:19 AM

CAD$600 (all inclusive), which is about US$450. It was a local purchase. For US mail order it's about $370.
Yup, I ordered mine for $380.00 (plus 2nd day shipping because I'm incredibly impatient ). I've seen places selling it for as much as $499.99, but really, why would you pay that when you can have it so much cheaper?

As an aside, is the flash-it-yourself-with-the-right-adaptor website back up now? If so, it might be worthwhile to order a DSS-25 now, too.

Turias
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2004, 11:09 AM

So how much battery life are we talking with the new firmware? Is it better than people were first reporting?

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2004, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by Turias:
So how much battery life are we talking with the new firmware? Is it better than people were first reporting?
Well, I charged my phone last night. Starting today I won't charge it and see how long it lasts. (I should hopefully get my backup battery and battery charger this week so when my phone does run out of juice it won't be a big deal.)

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2004, 11:51 AM

Well, I charged my phone last night. Starting today I won't charge it and see how long it lasts.
I'm curious... Do you turn the phone off at night?

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2004, 05:38 PM

Originally posted by aaanorton:
I'm curious... Do you turn the phone off at night?
No.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2004, 11:16 PM

rmongold
Aug 18, 2004, 10:14 AM

Interesting preview of the S700's camera capabilities.
Mmmmm.... S700's camera capabilities...

HamSandwich
Aug 18, 2004, 11:21 AM

Hey everyone,
I just found this thread and I thought I'd pose a few questions.

I have a K700i and it's obviously the loveliest phone in existence, but I wonder where to get more games, ringtones, themes and backgrounds and everything - for free, naturally.
The Tiger theme file is corrupted - the K700i says that at least and the only Java games that are compatible cost - according to Sony Ericsson - 3 Euros. Way too much for a, ugh, game!

Anyway, how do I access my iMac data via my phone? I know how to send files from the iMac to the phone, but what about the other way 'round?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

rmongold
Aug 18, 2004, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by SteveJobs:
Hey everyone,
I just found this thread and I thought I'd pose a few questions.

I have a K700i and it's obviously the loveliest phone in existence, but I wonder where to get more games, ringtones, themes and backgrounds and everything - for free, naturally.
The Tiger theme file is corrupted - the K700i says that at least and the only Java games that are compatible cost - according to Sony Ericsson - 3 Euros. Way too much for a, ugh, game!

Anyway, how do I access my iMac data via my phone? I know how to send files from the iMac to the phone, but what about the other way 'round?

Thanks in advance,
Steve
I just got my K700 last night and went looking for the same thing. I found this website for themes which seems pretty good (and there are quite a few really neat themes - including a working Tiger):

http://www.mobile9.com/4images/categories.php?cat_id=94

As for ringtones, I'm just making them myself using Quicktime and any MP3 I want.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Aug 18, 2004, 12:15 PM

Originally posted by rmongold:

As for ringtones, I'm just making them myself using Quicktime and any MP3 I want.
Oh dear god, one of those people that thinks everyone wants to hear your sony blast out a distorted version of Big Pimping overtime someone calls.

"Hello, what have we here?

Forum Links
Forum Rules