Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Official �New PowerBook 12� order status

Official �New PowerBook 12� order status (Page 4)
sorkinesque
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2003, 10:48 PM

schk i can't tell you how relieved i was to see my powerbook too has made it to Indianapolis...oops actually it's already left IN.
yes, fedex>airborne.

....and it just keep moving...look at that baby go
( Last edited by sorkinesque; Sep 27, 2003 at 11:02 PM. )

iomatic
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2003, 11:54 AM

...is sitting in my city's FedEx facility, and is due out Tuesday. Most likely delivered to my office Monday...Yay!

Hopefully, my 100th post will be when the little madness-inducing-wait thing will be here.

schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2003, 06:25 PM

Just checked the tracking # again and my PB is in my state as of 9 PM yesterday. Probably will receive it Monday then. With past shipments from FedEx, they seem to overestimate delivery dates and I usually get packages a day earlier. Hopefully it happens with the PB

wirobins
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2003, 03:22 AM

did anyone else get their shipping changed back to 2 Day after being upgraded to priority overnight? Mine has been scheduled to ship October 1st since I first placed the order on the 20th, but over the weekend it switched back to 2 Day.

I'm not looking forward to the hell everyone else seems to be experienceing with airborne. But maybe it just means orders are going out as scheduled now and they don't feel the need to upgrade shipping.

sorkinesque
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2003, 04:11 AM

Originally posted by wirobins:
did anyone else get their shipping changed back to 2 Day after being upgraded to priority overnight? Mine has been scheduled to ship October 1st since I first placed the order on the 20th, but over the weekend it switched back to 2 Day.

I'm not looking forward to the hell everyone else seems to be experienceing with airborne. But maybe it just means orders are going out as scheduled now and they don't feel the need to upgrade shipping.
if your order is coming from overseas the shipping was never upgraded. they just pretended it was...

schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2003, 09:02 AM

FedEx just dropped off my 12" a minute ago. Going to unpack and set it up.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2003, 09:20 AM

Originally posted by schk:
FedEx just dropped off my 12" a minute ago. Going to unpack and set it up.
Please keep us posted. I'd be very interested in your 12" experiences!
•

schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2003, 09:27 AM

I know I was anxious about possible probs with the new units, so here's my quick rundown so far:

I just did a quick inspection for probs and it's all good. Right now I'm letting it sleep to fully charge the battery. First thing I did was to check for the common problems. Dead pixels - none (phew). Latch - extremely easy to close, even more so than my previous TiBook. Wobbling - placed on a flat surface to test out, no wobbling at all. Warping of lid - none, perfectly lined up. Sticky mouse button - no probs whatsoever.

After it's done charging I will check the speakers, superdrive and all the side ports and put it through typical usage to check out the heat levels.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2003, 09:30 AM

schk, thanks for the impressions. Now you can change your sig.

Congrats on your new PowerBook.
•

pinkoos
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2003, 09:31 AM

schk-

Time to update your sig to "Arrived 9/29!"

Congrats.

Draco
Sep 29, 2003, 10:14 AM

Mine changed to 2-day as well They're just jerking us around. Mine still says on or before 10/3. It better be flawless when it finally comes.

schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2003, 11:26 AM

Here's some additional impressions. Hard disk is very quiet. I heard the fan for the first time when repairing permissions, and it's quiet as well, much better than the obnoxious sounding TiBook. I won't mind if the fan needs to come on more to keep the PB cooler as it's nowhere near hairdryer levels of PC laptops and I'm a complete silent PC freak (you can't even tell my 2.53 P4 is on and that's with fan cooling).

The biggest issue most people are curious about is heat so I will address that. Heat is really not an issue for me. It's pretty much "warm" at most. I would say only slightly hotter than my 1ghz TiBook. Granted, the rev A might have gotten more toasty, but I've never used those so I can't compare. And the heat is limited only to the left side of the laptop. Of course it's more concentrated right where the HD is under the left palm. The boundaries of heat on the inside seems to spread out at most to the bottom left 4 keys on the keyboard at most and to the middle part of the trackpad. As for the underside, it spreads on the left half. If any of you have touched regular hard disks while they've been on for a few minutes, you would know they get burning hot even when idle. I'm actually suprised that the left palm area isn't hotter than it feels right now. The aluminum really does dissapate the heat quickly. I think they have a good compromise of heat versus noise levels of fans to keep heat tolerable.
Any other questions?

Oh yeah, there is still the slight screeching noise when running stuff like Safari. So I guess it's not just limited to certain GPUs as it happened on my TiBook w/ the Radeon 9000.
( Last edited by schk; Sep 29, 2003 at 11:31 AM. )

beno
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2003, 11:26 AM

My 12 incher just shipped. It changed back to two day as well so hopefully I'll see it Wednesday!
Ben

celliott47
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2003, 11:35 AM

I ordered my new 12" PowerBook on Monday, September 22 from the Apple store for education. Had an estimated shipping date of 10/1. I got a message on Friday, 9/26 that it had shipped and expected delivery date was Tues 9/30. Well, FedEx just rang my doorbell- new PB arrived 9/29, one week after I ordered it. Just starting to play with it.

Isn't FedEx great!

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 29, 2003, 12:00 PM

Mine is still at overnite and scheduled for 10/1. It's a stock combo drive model from the ed store.

It's be nice if they shipped it early, but I'm not holding my breath.

My iPod which shipped Thursday 9/25 is still in Shanghai according to Airborne.

I hope my PB ships FedEx!

eScrib
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2003, 12:09 PM

I don't like any of you people that have received your 12" PBs from Apple!!!

Mine is stilled at the pushed-back date of 10.3.03.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RR

iomatic
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2003, 03:35 PM

'tis nice...installed Airport (very difficult--had to align, and remove a few times, and finally slid in place.) 512MB RAM also in.

I would tell you all about it except...

... it's been "Disconnecting" from Apple's servers in the Registration screen for awhile now...

Already, a hard reboot!

Doh!

iomatic
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2003, 04:18 PM

...and now, I'm getting no Airport (could be the card?) reception from afar...

*sigh*

First Mac dud ever.

schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2003, 04:32 PM

Hmm, my airport card installed very easily, slid it in the slot, plugged in the antenna cord, and closed it back up. You might want to try re-inserting it again.

Oh yeah, was your AE card sealed in a tiny zip lock bag? I was shocked when I saw that. First time I've ever seen a computer component not in anti-static packing.

rsh
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2003, 06:28 PM

Well, my Powerbook 1Ghz 12" (ordered 9/17) was supposed to ship on or before today. At 6:01 PM EST I got the dreaded apologetic email. It was a BTO so this wasn't a total shock.

New date is on or before 10/8.

Other folks whose dates have been pushed back: Did Apple make or beat the new date?

Also, anyone personally gotten freebie offers from a faux cancellation reqest phone call to Apple?

iomatic
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2003, 07:22 PM

...a few times now. tried w/ different card...no go. BUMMER!

Originally posted by schk:
Hmm, my airport card installed very easily, slid it in the slot, plugged in the antenna cord, and closed it back up. You might want to try re-inserting it again.

Oh yeah, was your AE card sealed in a tiny zip lock bag? I was shocked when I saw that. First time I've ever seen a computer component not in anti-static packing.

bfurtado
Sep 29, 2003, 09:39 PM

To all you PB receivers. When charging it for the first time, can you use it while it charges, or will this compromise the calibration of the battery. Do you just have to sit there while it charges completely before you can use it to drain the battery?

I'm still waiting for mine!

Brian

johnong
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2003, 09:55 PM

I ordered my BTO PB 12 (60GB/AE Card) on 9/18. Still showing 9/30 as my est. ship date. That's tomorrow. It still says "OPEN", never changed to "buiding" or whatever. Does that ever change?
It doesn't look too promising that mine is going to be shipped tomorrow. I guess I'd be getting the dreaded apologetic email to push my ship date to way way way back in the future!!
Perhaps, 10/9. Then, there's the dreaded shipping by Airborne.
I hope it would be here before my semester ends. Wouldn't it be funny if I get this computer for my school, and it only comes after I finish my semester?!

paganini
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2003, 10:21 PM

I'm still stuck at 10/03/2003 ship date, but my shipping has, as well, been switched back to 2-day.

Rain
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2003, 02:31 AM

IT SHIPPED IT SHIPPED IT SHIPPED!!!

OMG, I just checked my email (for the heck of it since I was bored) and I saw the notification!

ETA: Estimated delivery date: 10/02 by 12:00

Whoo-hoo! So exciting
( Last edited by Rain; Sep 30, 2003 at 05:06 AM. )

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 30, 2003, 08:46 AM

Ah dammit!

Mine was supposed to arrive today (I ordered it on 9-16). It has now been rescheduled to 10-6. That's another freaking week!

I hate the wait.

And why the fsck are people that ordered a week after me getting it a week before me?

These are the moments where I really deeply hate Apple.
•

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2003, 10:02 AM

Well I've been silent about this really, but here goes...

My uni. had some price mistakes that I jumped on, and so I ordered a BTO 12" 1Ghz PB w/ AirPort Extreme & ComboDrive on 9/17/03, and I just got a call that it's in. I'm about to go pick it up...I can EASILY sell my 867Mhz 12" PB on eBay and completely pay for this new one (yea, it was that good of a deal), OR, I can sell the new one and make a nice profit...is the new 12" PB worth a swap from the old one, or would you keep the old one and pocket around $300?
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2003, 10:08 AM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
Well I've been silent about this really, but here goes...

My uni. had some price mistakes that I jumped on, and so I ordered a BTO 12" 1Ghz PB w/ AirPort Extreme & ComboDrive on 9/17/03, and I just got a call that it's in. I'm about to go pick it up...I can EASILY sell my 867Mhz 12" PB on eBay and completely pay for this new one (yea, it was that good of a deal), OR, I can sell the new one and make a nice profit...is the new 12" PB worth a swap from the old one, or would you keep the old one and pocket around $300?
It depends on if you had any issues with the Rev. A - the most compained about being heat. I personally think the heat is great on this new one, but I've only tested out Rev. A in store. Since you have the opportunity to not spend extra to upgrade, you might as well do it. My new PB is perfect; the one problem I had with the AC adaptor rectified itself overnight when I drained the battery a second time.

bfurtado
Sep 30, 2003, 10:37 AM

IT SHIPPED IT SHIPPED IT SHIPPED!!!

OMG, I just checked my email (for the heck of it since I was bored) and I saw the notification!

ETA: Estimated delivery date: 10/02 by 12:00

Whoo-hoo! So exciting
Me too! I'm shocked! And Excited. Ordered on Sept 6 via Canada Education Store. Stock PB except I added AE card. So.....I'll ask one more time and apologize if I'm being a pest. Can I use the unit while charging it for the first time or must I wait for a complete charge?

THANKS A MILLION. This Forum ROCKS!!!!

Brian

eScrib
Forum Regular
Sep 30, 2003, 10:41 AM

I'm still at 10.03.03...

BTO w/ a 60gig HD and AE card.

eScrib
Forum Regular
Sep 30, 2003, 10:44 AM

Originally posted by eScrib:
I'm still at 10.03.03...

BTO w/ a 60gig HD and AE card.
Scratch THAT!!!!!!!!!!

It shipped!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I figured I'd just check to make myself feel even worse today, and I have a FedEX tracking number!!!

w00000000000000000t!!!

Oct 3, 2003 delievery...

schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2003, 10:45 AM

Originally posted by bfurtado:
Me too! I'm shocked! And Excited. Ordered on Sept 6 via Canada Education Store. Stock PB except I added AE card. So.....I'll ask one more time and apologize if I'm being a pest. Can I use the unit while charging it for the first time or must I wait for a complete charge?

THANKS A MILLION. This Forum ROCKS!!!!

Brian
You can use it while charging it up, but it will take longer. I just put the PB to sleep and charge it up. My PB seemed to be picky and I had to drain the battery twice and fully recharge to get my AC adaptor light to change lights properly.

gator
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2003, 10:47 AM

Originally posted by eScrib:
Scratch THAT!!!!!!!!!!

It shipped!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I figured I'd just check to make myself feel even worse today, and I have a FedEX tracking number!!!

w00000000000000000t!!!

Oct 3, 2003 delievery...
Congrats, same here Same specs too I think (60GB HD, Airport Extreme card)... est. delivery 10/3.

Assassyn: You get too many good deals!
12" PB 1 GHz Combo, 60GB, 512MB, AE
40GB iPod

bfurtado
Sep 30, 2003, 10:52 AM

Thanks schk. Someone told me that the apple community is like no other. A club almost. Its true. I can't wait to get it. I have never used nor owned a mac before. I am a die hard Windows user that likes to mod, overclock, game, etc. But it was time for a change and a challenge. I've always admired the mac from afar and played with OS X for a minute or two at the local Big Box store. Now I'm going to have one!

Brian

Rain
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2003, 10:56 AM

Originally posted by Simon:
Ah dammit!

Mine was supposed to arrive today (I ordered it on 9-16). It has now been rescheduled to 10-6. That's another freaking week!

I hate the wait.

And why the fsck are people that ordered a week after me getting it a week before me?

These are the moments where I really deeply hate Apple.
Two reasons why mine probably shipped on schedule:

1. I'm a student, so Apple knows I need a computer, like, *now*.

2. I ordered the stock model with AE card only, so they didn't have to open up the whole computer to change anything or build it specifically for me - those workers who were trained to build those special orders must be dead tired by now, so give them a break. You wouldn't want just any Joe shmoe building your baby now, would you?

PB status: Left FedEx Ramp/C.K.S. INTL AIRPORT TW 09/30/2003 20:25.

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2003, 10:56 AM

Mine has also shipped and is due for delivery 10/2 by 10:30 AM! My ship date had always been the 1st, and here it comes

The second best news: it's coming Fed Ex! YES!

My Airbone shipping iPod is still in Taiwan from what I can tell. I need to call these jackasses later, but right now, I'm too jazzed.

schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2003, 11:44 AM

Nice to see you guys getting yours shipped via FedEx, seems some are still getting Airborne. At least you'll be getting your new PB in a timely matter and have a tracking info you can actually use

Thanks schk. Someone told me that the apple community is like no other. A club almost. Its true. I can't wait to get it. I have never used nor owned a mac before. I am a die hard Windows user that likes to mod, overclock, game, etc. But it was time for a change and a challenge. I've always admired the mac from afar and played with OS X for a minute or two at the local Big Box store. Now I'm going to have one!
Similar to my background. I've used PCs my entire life and built my own, etc. While I didn't switch because I hate Windows (XP rarely gives me any probs), I just thought it would be nice to try out a Mac due to a lot of my friends using them. Once you get a PB, you'll be hooked on Macs like I am now. I was having serious Mac withdrawal waiting for the new 12" to be announced I'll be getting a G5 later this year, or early next and will probably stick to Macs for the future. I'll probably always keep a spare PC box around though.

johnong
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2003, 11:48 AM

Lots of good news for some of us PB 12 wait-er.

I just got my latest status by phone. Of course, I called in to check. The website hasn't been updated yet. And I haven't received any email notification as well.

But my PB 12 Combo/60GB/AE Card has been shipped today 9/30 (as the estimated ship date stated). It's running a bit late, compared to some of the rest. Delivery date is estimated to be 10/3 (Friday), still good.

And best of all, it's coming through FedEx. I am really tracking its progress like it should. Not like some other Air-whatever.

My PB is now at the FedEx ramp in Taiwan.

Can't wait!!

rsh
Forum Regular
Sep 30, 2003, 12:04 PM

I'll be darned. After the dreaded apologetic email yesterday... my BTO 12" shipped TO-day. (9/30) well ahead of the revised forecast of 10/6. I think Apple is working overtime to assure that sales for the end of this quarter are strong.

And like the rest of you, it's FEDEX. Sweet.

Interesting that I still haven't received an email shipment confirmation. (I found out that it had shipped by checking the web site after reading some of the recent reports here.)

pwolfe1
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2003, 12:43 PM

Originally posted by rsh:
I'll be darned. After the dreaded apologetic email yesterday... my BTO 12" shipped TO-day. (9/30) well ahead of the revised forecast of 10/6. I think Apple is working overtime to assure that sales for the end of this quarter are strong.

And like the rest of you, it's FEDEX. Sweet.

Interesting that I still haven't received an email shipment confirmation. (I found out that it had shipped by checking the web site after reading some of the recent reports here.)
Exactly!! Mine was slated to ship on friday 10/6, and I just received an email stating it was shipping today!! It just left taiwan!!! friday is now receive day, not ship day.

Anemia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2003, 01:25 PM

Just got my shipping notice.

It says delivery by 10/3. I sure hope they're right, because I do NOT want to wait through another weekend.

FedEx is always a day late, I hope this week is an execption.

Draco
Sep 30, 2003, 01:35 PM

Well my ass is still waiting. Good to know some people's BTO's are shipping.

Still "On or before 10/3/03 here" *sigh*

dreverhart
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2003, 01:42 PM

I guess I am not one of the lucky ones. I ordered just hours after release on the 16th. Estimated ship date was 9/25 and got the email that moved shipping back to 10/03. I just got off the phone with customer service and it still has not shipped. Perhaps it is the 80gb buy to order harddrive that is holding me up.

sworthy
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2003, 01:45 PM

ordered 9/23 (edu store)
ipod shippped next day, and 12" powerbook BTO w/ a 60 gig HD just shipped today! Expected on October 3rd.

I sold my 15" Ti to get this and have been computer-less for two weeks or so. The library is killing me!

bkb
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2003, 01:55 PM

yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah!!!!
finally.

ordered my 12" superdrive w/60GB HD and APX on 18/9. Had ship date of 30/9 and got an email saying is shipped today from Taiwan, ETA 10:30am on 10/3.

they made it on time!

Here is what the Fedex Tracker says so far:

Sep 30, 2003 10:52 pm
Arrived at FedEx Ramp
TA YUAN HSIANG TW

9:00 pm
Left FedEx Origin Location
TAOYUAN CITY TW

6:33 pm
Pickup status
TAOYUAN CITY TW
Package received after FedEx cutoff time

life is good. oh and in the u.s., not canada .

bkb
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2003, 02:00 PM

Originally posted by Rain:
Two reasons why mine probably shipped on schedule:

1. I'm a student, so Apple knows I need a computer, like, *now*.

2. I ordered the stock model with AE card only, so they didn't have to open up the whole computer to change anything or build it specifically for me - those workers who were trained to build those special orders must be dead tired by now, so give them a break. You wouldn't want just any Joe shmoe building your baby now, would you?

PB status: Left FedEx Ramp/C.K.S. INTL AIRPORT TW 09/30/2003 20:25.
Here is the thing. Mine was not a student discount & it was BTO 12" Superdrive w/ 60GB HD and APX and it shipped today (ontime). Ordered it on 18/9. Guess that puts a dent in your logic.

Rain
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2003, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by bkb:
Here is the thing. Mine was not a student discount & it was BTO 12" Superdrive w/ 60GB HD and APX and it shipped today (ontime). Ordered it on 18/9. Guess that puts a dent in your logic.
I ordered on the 22nd and mine shipped yesterday (two days early). The theory still stands

ETA: I didn't say everybody (non student) who ordered a BTO was affected. T'was just sayin' some orders may take a bit longer because of the large volume of bto orders. Obviously Apple would've completed some of the orders by now (eg. yours).
( Last edited by Rain; Sep 30, 2003 at 02:46 PM. )

dreverhart
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2003, 03:44 PM

Originally posted by dreverhart:
I guess I am not one of the lucky ones. I ordered just hours after release on the 16th. Estimated ship date was 9/25 and got the email that moved shipping back to 10/03. I just got off the phone with customer service and it still has not shipped. Perhaps it is the 80gb buy to order harddrive that is holding me up.
I forgot to mention, I ordered through Apple Store for Education, so this may hurt the currently running theory that Education purchases are getting shipped before regular ones. I think it is the 80GB harddrive that is the cause for the delay. Has anyone had an 80gb BTO powerbook ship yet?

michael_on_mac
Sep 30, 2003, 04:16 PM

Originally posted by dreverhart:
Has anyone had an 80gb BTO powerbook ship yet?
Not here, my BTO is estimated for the end of october

Though I ordered a week after the expo, seem to me as if European customers are seriously behind - as known with Apple :
12" Al PB Rev. B, SD, 768 MB RAM, 80 GB disk, OS X 10.3.1. IBM TP A30p with Linux 2.4.20 for serious stuff ;-)

CJG86
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2003, 05:38 PM

I called apple today and they told me that my powerbook was going to ship from Sacramento, CA. And since they upgraded me to Overnight shipping it should be here the day after it ships. I hope.

Forum Links
Forum Rules