Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Hurricane: Where Are The Movie Stars Now?

Hurricane: Where Are The Movie Stars Now? (Page 4)
Warung
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2005, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by MacNStein
^^ and above we have a perfect example of a personal attack, stated with venom and the intent of provoking another attack... how original and productive. I have no idea how or why people like this are still members.
I wasn't provoking any attack. It was an honest question, since that's exactly the reason why you've got so many negative sentiments about the US in the world - the American radical right, and their nationalist/imperial attitudes.

People don't critizise America because of George Clooney, Brad Pitt or Sean Penn. NOBODY, that I've ever heard or read anything about outside the US has ever stated anything like "Oh, I really like Bush, Rumsfeld or OReilly...but that Jennifer Aniston is a complete douche".

BTW, nice job singeling out my post. I guess I'll have to put up with your peskiness (again)...

Why am I still a member? Because 90% of the people that post here at MacNN are actually quite entertaining and fun to "be around". Too bad (for you) that they mostly seem to agree with me.
( Last edited by Warung; Sep 1, 2005 at 11:34 AM. )

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage?

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2005, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane
I can tolerate a lot of foolishness, but nothing angers me like hypocrisy.

If you are going to castigate celebrities for not bucking to help the victims of this disaster, and yet in the same thread offer a combined total of $20,000 to have some random **** move out of the country, I've got a problem with that. You two need to take your $20,000, go to one of those corporations listed above that's matching donations dollar for dollar, and do some ****ing good with it for those that just got devastated by this storm. People have lost everything. Do you understand what that means? And the best you can do is make a ridiculous offer to buy someone a one way ticket because they aren't doing enough. How ****ing dare you? You two should be ashamed of yourselves.
Hey dumbarse, why don't you FREAKING READ THE CONTEXT OF OUR OFFER? If you did, you'd see it had NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with anyone "not doing enough" to help the hurricane victims.

No, I'm not ashamed of myself. Maybe I should scan some my contribution receipts and post them here. Or maybe I should see if I can get our company's HR and Accounting departments to let me scan and post how much money we're donating and how many people we're giving temporary employment to.

I can assure you that I've contributed more that $10k to various Katrina aid organizations already. I think I can decide what to do with the rest of my money. Maybe it's because I'm a rich white capitalist neocon, but if I CAN spend $10k to get an American-Hating jackass out of the country, I have the money t do so -- and I would.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Warung
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2005, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin
He has been doing it for months.
Nice jab there. Too bad it's a complete and total lie.

(And't don't even start your little "tit for tat" reply garbage here. If you've got issues, PM me or start a new thread. I'll address any issues you might have there)
( Last edited by Warung; Sep 1, 2005 at 11:33 AM. )

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2005, 11:32 AM

I remember the other night, as I watched the incredible, ruthless destruction that was Katrina tear into Louisiana and Mississippi on CNN, I found myself transfixed by the devastating scenes and fearful for the people who didn't/couldn't evacuate in time to avoid this horrible catastrophe. There but for the grace of god, etc...

It wasn't long before my awareness became completely consumed by one all-pervading and insistent thought: Where the **** is George Clooney? For the love of god and all that is good, where the **** is George Clooney??

Mr. Clooney, a nation turns its lonely eyes to you. Don't let us down. Again.

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 1, 2005, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Warung
Nice jab there. Too bad it's a complete and total lie.

(And't don't even start your little "tit for tat" reply garbage here. If you've got issues, PM me or start a new thread. I'll address any issues you might have there)
I suggest you take your own advice. Had you originally done that to Cody, none of this would be going on now.

And I wasn't responding to one of your posts. I was speaking to someone else.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2005, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by RAILhead
but if I CAN spend $10k to get an American-Hating jackass out of the country, I have the money t do so -- and I would.
I call ********. But if you are serious, let me know about this offer further so I can get out of this **** storm.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2005, 11:40 AM

I wasn't provoking any attack. It was an honest question, since that's exactly the reason why you've got so many negative sentiments about the US in the world - the American radical right, and their nationalist/imperial attitudes.

People don't critizise America because of George Clooney, Brad Pitt or Sean Penn. NOBODY, that I've ever heard or read anything about outside the US has ever stated anything like "Oh, I really like Bush, Rumsfeld or OReilly...but that Jennifer Aniston is a complete douche".

BTW, nice job singeling out my post. I guess I'll have to put up with your peskiness (again)...

Why am I still a member? Because 90% of the people that post here at MacNN are actually quite entertaining and fun to "be around". Too bad (for you) that they mostly seem to agree with me.
Oh no, calling another member names isn't an attack at all, you're right, my mistake. Insult celebs and other public personalities all you want, leave members of MacNN alone. Like I've told you at least a dozen times now, grow up and stop with the juvenile hysterics.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2005, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by demograph68
I call ********. But if you are serious, let me know about this offer further so I can get out of this **** storm.
PM me and tell me why you want to leave and why you, out of all the others that supposedly want to leave, should be picked.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Josh Reid
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 1, 2005, 11:44 AM

what i hear from this: "blah blah blah i'm so great look what i'm doing you should be doing more like me..blah blah let me complain and instigate POINTLESS debate instead of having a thoughtful discussion on something/ANYTHING else that would actually make a difference..blah blah i DO SO MUCH THAT I HAVE A RIGHT TO COMPLAIN WHEN I THINK OTHERS ARE NOT DOING ENOUGH, SEE LOOK AT THE PROOF, I HAVE A RIGHT TO JUDGE AND BITCH"

if everyone sat up on a perch doing "good deeds" and judging and provoking others who may or may not be less or more fortunate than you, the world would be a shitty place. cody, i don't know you personally...only from the posts i've read of yours here in the lounge. i'm not a very regular poster, but i've been around here for six years. i've never really even gotten into a flame-war wtih anyone and am certainly not trying to, but this thread is just driving me insane. you do some good things with your wealth--that is great, i'm not discounting that. but really, don't broadcast it. sure people say to lead by example, but the manner in which you display this all really is heavy with an air of superiority and holier-than-thouness. (even though that's probably not a word...but i digress..) this will probably be my only post in this thread because i don't want or plan to get in a back-and-forth argument...just try to understand what i said without flipping out. i am sure that this all is not your intention, but know that to many people, that is how it comes off.

oh and btw, courtesy Billboard.com:

"Green Day, Usher, Alicia Keys, Dave Matthews Band, Rob Thomas, Ludacris, Gretchen Wilson, John Mellencamp and Linkin Park's Chester Bennington are the first acts confirmed to appear at a live performance special set for Sept. 10 on MTV, VH1 and CMT. The event will raise funds via call-in donations for relief in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, which devastated New Orleans and several other Southern cities earlier this week."

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 1, 2005, 11:45 AM

No, it was an attack. If you don't think calling someone a "dim witted neonazicon hack" isn't an attack, I would say that says more about you, than Cody.

And it doesn't matter if you don't like something, or a way a person thinks. I mean that would mean anyone that doesn't like the way say France or Germany's politics are, can justifiably bash the two countries for no reason? If so great. I wont hear any complaints from you then.
People don't critizise America because of George Clooney, Brad Pitt or Sean Penn.
Actually yes they do. I've heard it many times myself. Heck, a movie was made making fun of all the people who listed.
NOBODY, that I've ever heard or read anything about outside the US has ever stated anything like "Oh, I really like Bush, Rumsfeld or OReilly...but that Jennifer Aniston is a complete douche".
I have. Not that it matters. It's irrelevent to you personally attacking Cody.
Wow more BS statistics being thrown around. I am betting, now, this is just a hunch, but if you keep speaking to people the way you just did to Cody, you'll have a nice vacation plan given to you from teh MacNN.

You really can't call someone a "Dim witted neonazicon hack" and not expect to be called out for it.

I mean you can, but it's not very realistic.

Warung
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2005, 12:04 PM

Like I've told you at least a dozen times now, grow up and stop with the juvenile hysterics.
Unless you're a moderator here at MacNN, don't tell other people what to or what not to do. That's all.

Warung
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2005, 12:14 PM

And it doesn't matter blah blah blah
I knew you'd start this kind of sh1t again.

It REALLY doesn't matter one fu<kin' bit. It's because of people like you, that so many around the world (and in America) have a negative opinion about the US. Nobody hates or dislikes the US because of rock stars, hollywood celebs or others in the entairnment business that you happen to disagree with.

That's the bottom line.

I have a counter suggestion. Why don't American liberals like ummmmmm say, Steve Jobs, Brad Pitt, Ted Turner buy your lot a nice little island off the coast of Costa Rica...hell, I'd pay A LOT more than $10.000 dollars NEVER to be associated with people like Bush, Limbuagh and yourself.

And I'd also bet you dollars to doughnuts, that the attitude towards the US will dramatically change throughout the world (no, not only in Germany and France)...

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 1, 2005, 12:16 PM

Unless you're a moderator here at MacNN, don't tell other people what to or what not to do. That's all.
Well we actually DO have a rule about personal attacks on other members. Stop it.

In fact, that goes for everyone.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 1, 2005, 12:33 PM

I knew you'd start this kind of sh1t again.
War dear, *I* didnt start anything. Again, you personally attack people, someone tell you that is wrong, and you attack them too, then say we started it. Come on...

Let me give you a hint. Stop personally attacking people and you wont have to worry about it.

Problem solved.
It REALLY doesn't matter one fu<kin' bit. It's because of people like you, that so many around the world (and in America) have a negative opinion about the US. Nobody hates or dislikes the US because of rock stars, hollywood celebs or others in the entairnment business that you happen to disagree with.
We can't help it that you, and other people have narrow minded views of American. That says more about the people who think that way than it does America.

Enough of this silliness really. It's just hateful pettiness.

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 1, 2005, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Well we actually DO have a rule about personal attacks on other members. Stop it.

Thank you.

Warung
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2005, 12:40 PM

Let me give you a hint. Stop personally attacking people and you wont have to worry about it.
Let me give you a hint. You're in NO position to make any demands (or use little blackmail tactics), unless your either a moderator or an admin here at MacNN.

Funny though, that you never bring on your condescending little preachyness, when people from the right personally insult others on these boards (and don't even say that this doesn't happen). Shows just what kind of a hypocrite you are.

Problem solved.

We can't help it that you, and other people have narrow minded views of American.
The only people with narrow minded views of America are those who constantly label every critique of the US as anti-American and "un-patriotic".

Get rid of those people. Problem solved.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2005, 12:43 PM

As others have noted, by the way, ostentatious shows of charity are not good things; they introduce an element of greed into what should be an act of self-sacrifice. For that matter, can karma and compassion truly be measured in dollars?
"Can karma and compassion truly be measured in dollars?"

HECK YES!

Of course! There are a LOT of people who give and give and give and don't mention it. Think of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. They're giving away billions of dollars to Africa and other medical organizations. I never care to discuss my own personal attempts until egged on by people, (ThinkInsane) who question what I am personally doing to better my community or people who have problems - like the hurricane victims.

I made a thread in the spirit of, "Well, where ARE the movie stars now? Shouldn't they be announcing plans to help the victims?" Instead this thread has become a bottomless pit of attacks against people who mean well.

To be honest, the only decent posts here have come from ghporter and that's about it. He seems to be able to walk in the middle and keep steering the topic back to POSSIBILITIES AND SUGGESTIONS TO HELP PEOPLE.

Millenium, one last thing: $2000 on a dog IS worth it to SOME people. It is a living creature that needed help. It was worth it to me. I guess a dog slowly going blind isn't worth it to YOU or maybe to someone else, but it was worth it to me and I would have done it all over again. I would help a person the same way if I could or if it became apparent that I needed to.

I like how even the moderators - with the exception of ghporter - also seem to be jumping on the personal attack bandwagon.

PacHead
Baninated
Sep 1, 2005, 12:47 PM

I wish there was a MacNN forum where only people with US mainland IP's were allowed to participate. All the other riff raff would be filtered out.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2005, 12:47 PM

Oh, and Josh Reid, I am not what I consider wealthy. I work - every single day - for my money. I've been working since I was 14. I've been fortunate to make good investments and better myself through education. But, I work, just like most everyone else, for money and a low-key lifestyle. I have some nice things, but I am far from wealthy.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2005, 12:48 PM

Tough. I'm telling you. Stop it with the personal attacks and namecalling. The Admins may not do anything about you, but I'll just keep pestering you just the same. I figure after calling you down 100 or so times it might just get through.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2005, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter

thanks.
- Thomas Paine

PacHead
Baninated
Sep 1, 2005, 12:51 PM

Tough. I'm telling you. Stop it with the personal attacks and namecalling. The Admins may not do anything about you, but I'll just keep pestering you just the same. I figure after calling you down 100 or so times it might just get through.
Last time warung went on one of his childish rampages and I called him on it, the "powers that be" banned me also, and I'm still banned from that place.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2005, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by PacHead
I wish there was a MacNN forum where only people with US mainland IP's were allowed to participate. All the other riff raff would be filtered out.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Warung
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2005, 12:54 PM

Why don't you just join another forum, or maybe even start your own...

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2005, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
[...] Instead this thread has become a bottomless pit of attacks against people who mean well.

[...] keep steering the topic back to POSSIBILITIES AND SUGGESTIONS TO HELP PEOPLE.

God luv ya, Cody, you're an honest-to-goodness hoot! Not so honest, but an everlovin' hoot!

P.S. Are you related to CNN's Nancy Grace? ARE you Nancy Grace?

Warung
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2005, 12:55 PM

...and I'm still banned from that place.
And rightfully so. I wonder why they didn't ban you from MacNN permanently though.

PacHead
Baninated
Sep 1, 2005, 12:58 PM

Why don't you just join another forum, or maybe even start your own...
I don't need any advice from the likes of you, thank you very much.

Warung
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2005, 12:58 PM

Tough. I'm telling you. Stop it with the personal attacks and namecalling.
Okay, I'll just keep up then.

Stop acting like a moderator when you aren't one. You are in NO position to tell anybody around here what to do.

Don't like my posts? Put me on ignore. As a matter of fact, I humbly request that you do so.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2005, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy
There, there, I'm sure he simply forgot about you're unfortunate geographic location.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2005, 01:00 PM

Okay, I'll just keep up then.

Stop acting like a moderator when you aren't one. You are in NO position to tell anybody around here what to do.

Don't like my posts? Put me on ignore. As a matter of fact, I humbly request that you do so.
Heh, I apprently don't have to anymore, a mod DID come forward. Now, do as the mod says and we can at least be civil around here.

As for the "ignore list", I don't use the thing.
- Thomas Paine

PacHead
Baninated
Sep 1, 2005, 01:03 PM

And rightfully so. I wonder why they didn't ban you from MacNN permanently though.
Write a PM to the mods with your request. Get 10 other censorship nazis to also complain in a PM and your wish just might come true. That tactic has worked in the past.

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2005, 01:04 PM

Warung and PacHead, PLEASE cut it out. Take it to PM or something.

Warung
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2005, 01:06 PM

As for the "ignore list", I don't use the thing.
I do though.

Bye.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2005, 01:08 PM

I do though.

Bye.
Doesn't stop me from talking, it just makes you ignorant of the fact.
- Thomas Paine

SVass
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2005, 01:12 PM

The whole object of the personal attacks is to divert attention from facts.

Public contributions do not help anyone significantly.
Pre-disaster government prevention and planning was required. (That was deferred by the current administration to accomodate tax cuts and wars.)
Post-disaster GOVERNMENT action is required, not posing by politicians or contributors to this thread.
New building codes/restrictions are required to reduce the impact of future natural events.
Personal responsibility and atonement should be provided by those who created the problem or voted for those responsible.

If your religion requires PUBLIC atonement, then do so. If it requires PRIVATE action, then do that. Do not tell me what to do either in public or in private.

Demonhood
Administrator
Sep 1, 2005, 01:12 PM

this went terrific places.
i blame Tim Robbins. i mean, did anyone see that movie he did with Martin Lawrence? i mean, c'mon!

Forum Links
Forum Rules