Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > How much has rock changed in the past 10 years?

How much has rock changed in the past 10 years? (Page 4)
Y3a
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2007, 09:57 AM

Rock died in the mid-70's. Its now dance music, heavy metal garbage, pop, and noise.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 19, 2007, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Damn good job that I'm a producer, not a musician, then. You know, the guy who has final creative say in a project to make sure that the product sells.
Windows sells a lot more than OSX. That means it's better, right?

Popularity usually = mediocrity.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2007, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by cybergoober View Post
That's why Britney Spears and The Pussy Cat Dolls are so successful, right?
Ahhh, I should've said music listener and lover. The people who buy those albums don't care about their music. They want something that they don't even need to listen to – it just plays mindlessly in the background, and makes them shake their booty and get all crazy on up in here.

Anyways, neither are rock music. But sugar-gum pop has been topping the charts for many decades, so this isn't a new phenomena by any means.

Originally Posted by Doofy
Ummm... ...OK, Greg.
Emotional feedback on timeless wavelength?

Echoes with the sounds of SALESMEN!

The world is, the world is, love and life are deep,
Maybe as his skies are wide.

Exit the warrior, today's Tom Sawyer,
He gets high on you, and the energy you trade,
He gets right on to the friction of the day.
(hope I wrote that right)

Embarrassing. And even more so, when delivered in the weenerish little-school-boy voice.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 19, 2007, 01:02 PM

Those lyrics are pretty bad.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 19, 2007, 02:01 PM

The Pixies were NEVER mainstream enough to get trhe kind of attention they deserved.

Though I will always get flamed for this, I say The Mars Volta is the most important rock group to come out in 10 years.

Yes Yes I know <insert whiny members name here> you dislike them greatly, but nobody praised the Pixies while they were still a band, by the time everyone caught on (Kurt Cobain listed them as his main influence) they broke up, never to be heard again. I predict the same exact status for Mars Volta.

No, At the Drive-In wasn't better
No, Sparta sucks
Yes, MV rocks out wicked hard when they need to, and they make music in a "I'm a pretentious fu*k who doesn't care what you like in music" way, and that is the ONLY way to make music that doesn't suck.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2007, 02:17 PM

Your argument is fatally flawed.

Tons of people praised the Pixies while they were still a band. Tons of people liked them. But remember, it was a lot harder to get exposure then than it is now – there was no internet, and there certainly wasn't the "indie craze" that we've been having for the past half-decade. The audience for an "indie band" was severely limited. Furthermore, there was a fairly sharp distinction between genres...people were more suspicious of new sounds/styles (perhaps because of the aforementioned limited exposure to other music(s)), and it usually took a revolutionary band to break open a new musical market (eg. Nirvana). The Pixies were not that band, for many reasons.

In contrast, everyone who's into music today has probably listened to The Mars Volta, or At the Drive-In, or Sparta, etc. etc. etc. People generally seem to be listening to a lot more kinds of music nowadays, and a lot more styles...it's okay to have country and folk and classic rock and metal and hard rock and hip-hop in your library, and it's even looked on as cool.

Does this help the Mars Volta? Nope. They still suck. I'll reiterate again, that most of the people who love them seem to talk about their technical skill, or how long they can solo, or blah blah blah. Can't write a song, or better yet an album though.

greg

PS. And oh yeah, the Pixies were hardly "never heard from again." Kim Deal and Frank Black had mildly successful solo careers with some level of critical acclaim, and they've gotten back together for North American tours in the past few years.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 19, 2007, 02:21 PM

The only pixies song I've heard is the fight club one.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2007, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Hence, why musicians love Rush: their skill, their virtuoso-ness, their ability as musicians to blow the doors off the place. The listener can realize that none of this matters; Geddy Lee still sounds like a pre-pubescent child, their lyrics are embarrassingly painful, their musical flair just sounds tacky and geeky a large part of the time, and they've made perhaps 3 (in a stretch, probably more like 2) good albums in a decades-long career. Count me unimpressed.
I love Rush. I didn't like their "concept" albums much, and I didn't like it when they got too "synth-y." But their heavy rock songs are untouchable masterworks. Every album since Presto has been top notch.

Steve Bosell
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 19, 2007, 04:28 PM

It is inexcusable for any band to let Geddy Lee sing. He sounds like a mom at Walmart yelling at her 10 year old bratty kid. Sure some of their riffs are cool, but the singing completely ruins it.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 19, 2007, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Your argument is fatally flawed.

Tons of people praised the Pixies while they were still a band. Tons of people liked them. But remember, it was a lot harder to get exposure then than it is now – there was no internet, and there certainly wasn't the "indie craze" that we've been having for the past half-decade. The audience for an "indie band" was severely limited. Furthermore, there was a fairly sharp distinction between genres...people were more suspicious of new sounds/styles (perhaps because of the aforementioned limited exposure to other music(s)), and it usually took a revolutionary band to break open a new musical market (eg. Nirvana). The Pixies were not that band, for many reasons.

In contrast, everyone who's into music today has probably listened to The Mars Volta, or At the Drive-In, or Sparta, etc. etc. etc. People generally seem to be listening to a lot more kinds of music nowadays, and a lot more styles...it's okay to have country and folk and classic rock and metal and hard rock and hip-hop in your library, and it's even looked on as cool.

Does this help the Mars Volta? Nope. They still suck. I'll reiterate again, that most of the people who love them seem to talk about their technical skill, or how long they can solo, or blah blah blah. Can't write a song, or better yet an album though.

greg

PS. And oh yeah, the Pixies were hardly "never heard from again." Kim Deal and Frank Black had mildly successful solo careers with some level of critical acclaim, and they've gotten back together for North American tours in the past few years.
Heh, at least you sound like you know what you're talking about

What I'm saying is that now it seems the Pixies were far more influential than Nirvana, although the latter was obviously more popular it still doesn't make them a better band. No Pixies = no Nirvana...<shudder> that would have been bad.

I'll repeat until I am sore in the throat.... FRANCES THE MUTE, phenomenal album, back to front...in fact when I get home I'm gonna listen to it all the way through again.

Of course there are no hard feelings. Music, especially rock, can generate some heated debates....most of which just come down to personal preference.

You may have your gripes with MV, but answer me this...... Name a band that does anything remotely similar to what they do, any band. You may not like them, but unique is a word that fits TMV like a glove.

Forum Links
Forum Rules