Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Just saw Transformers

Just saw Transformers (Page 4)
Rumor
Jul 13, 2007, 02:12 PM

It's more that this movie was designed with the Original Transformers fans in mind, not todays kids. You know, the ones that saw the first movie when it came out in theaters.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2007, 02:18 PM

Actually I have a lot of reasons for hating theaters. (gentlemen, ready your prude comments)

1. I don't like watching movies with strangers. There's always someone who laughs too loud, throws popcorn, kicks my seat, farts, screams out loud, makes stupid jokes, or talks about something else.
2. I like watching movies on my couch (or someone elses, provided it's comfortable).
3. I like watching movies with my DVD player, which bleeps out the really strong language (prude alert). This is actually one of my top reasons.
4. Movies are overpriced.
5. I can bring my own food. That way a drink from my fridge doesn't cost me an extra $5.
6. Pause/play/rewind/fast forward/special features/etc.
7. I REALLY don't like watching movies with strangers.

And I don't blame lpkmckenna's nephew for not wanting to watch Nancy Drew. Joe and Frank were so much cooler anyways.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2007, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
I assumed it was something more serious (claustrophobia for example) than some kind of boycott of theaters.
After 3,273 posts, you still don't know that my reasons for everything are going to be extremely screwed up?

Oh...
8. I am a little bit claustrophobic. Forgot that one.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2007, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Watered-down? The swearing and gestures add nothing to the movie.
Maybe not for you. I usually identify with such things. I hate hearing someone go "Aw shucks!" for no valid reason other than to keep the movie PG.

Believe it or not, there are many TF fans who are younger than you. You know, the ones that watch Beast Wars and Armada? The ones that buy and play with TF toys today?

But I guess it's really all about you.
About my generation, yes. That's why it was a big deal to get Peter Cullen in on this project.

My nephew loves Transformers. Telling him to watch Nancy Drew isn't gonna cut it.
Perhaps he'll enjoy Shrek? Maybe Ratatouille? Or maybe Harry Potter? Pirates of the Caribbean?

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
It's more that this movie was designed with the Original Transformers fans in mind, not todays kids. You know, the ones that saw the first movie when it came out in theaters.
Yep, that's the target audience.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2007, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
3. I like watching movies with my DVD player, which bleeps out the really strong language (prude alert). This is actually one of my top reasons.
I have no idea how we are ever on civil terms when out ability to relate is that far apart.

Though I suppose my sensibilities are offended by most feel good movies, so there's two sides to every coin.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2007, 02:39 PM

After 3,273 posts, you still don't know that my reasons for everything are going to be extremely screwed up?
The challenge is always figuring out which extreme way they're going to be screwed up.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2007, 03:07 PM

I have no idea how we are ever on civil terms when our ability to relate is that far apart.

Though I suppose my sensibilities are offended by most feel good movies, so there's two sides to every coin.
Because I don't act like a jerk about my convictions?
Just a guess.
Actually, almost all of the people that I hang out with in "real life" are very different from myself. I don't know why.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2007, 03:16 PM

Because I don't act like a jerk about my convictions?
But don't I?

Actually, almost all of the people that I hang out with in "real life" are very different from myself. I don't know why.
Closet athiest...

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2007, 03:22 PM

But don't I?
Exactly. I'm civil with people who are my complete opposite.

Closet athiest...
Former agnostic. Then I got some sense.
Ooh, I'm on a roll.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2007, 03:28 PM

Exactly. I'm civil with people who are my complete opposite.
I'm curious how much more polite I get you to be, then.

Former agnostic. Then I got some sense.
No, you just didn't have the work ethic required.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 13, 2007, 05:22 PM

you use your dvd player to bleep out curse words in your own home with no children around?

wtf is that?

reservoir dogs party at your house!
ice

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2007, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
you use your dvd player to bleep out curse words in your own home with no children around?

wtf is that?

Basically any Tarantino or Scorsese movie is like being deaf, watching movies with subtitles (with the swear words replaced with something else). It's kind of aggravating, so I don't even bother with them.

I gave you a prude alert. You were warned.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2007, 01:01 PM

List of films that most frequently use the word "****" - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Looks like you'll have to manua;lly type in the word f-u-c-k into the address to get the link to work.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2007, 03:03 PM

That's weird. I've seen the list before on Wikipedia.

Not surprisingly, Scorsese pwned the top 20.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 14, 2007, 03:29 PM

heh, FPM.
ice

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2007, 08:12 PM

I want to go see it again. Megan. Dadgum.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 14, 2007, 09:05 PM

I saw it twice now, but man, it's too long for me to see in a theater.

On my couch in front of the big tv definitely, but almost any movie 2+ hours in a theater and I'm uncomfortable sitting there. And since most of that extra-long action sequence near the end of the film happened after the two hour mark, I found myself not concerned with seeing it and wanting to leave.
ice

KisforKennedy
Baninated
Jul 16, 2007, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post

wtf is that?

Yeah really. What a Nancy.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2007, 02:51 AM

Actually I have a lot of reasons for hating theaters. (gentlemen, ready your prude comments)

1. I don't like watching movies with strangers. There's always someone who laughs too loud, throws popcorn, kicks my seat, farts, screams out loud, makes stupid jokes, or talks about something else.
2. I like watching movies on my couch (or someone elses, provided it's comfortable).
4. Movies are overpriced.
5. I can bring my own food. That way a drink from my fridge doesn't cost me an extra $5.
6. Pause/play/rewind/fast forward/special features/etc.
7. I REALLY don't like watching movies with strangers.

And I don't blame lpkmckenna's nephew for not wanting to watch Nancy Drew. Joe and Frank were so much cooler anyways.
We have a good old-fashioned drive-in about 4 miles from my house which covers most of those reasons.

1. No strangers if you stay in your car and usually no strangers within a conversation distance if you are outside either.
2. Of course it's much more comfortable if you take your own chairs or even blanket and pillows and watch the movies under the stars. VERY casual.
3. Uhhh, yeah…(I understand perfectly not using foul language in your life, but to be so uptight about HEARING foul language seems a bit silly. Especially since you know damn well what they are saying, so what's the difference? No offense!)
4. Admission is $6.00 per person, $4.00 each kid from 5-11 and 5 and under are free for a double feature. The first movie being the newest release and the second usually being a new release in it's 2nd or 3rd week.
5. You can bring your own food…even alcohol…but the concession stand is more reasonably priced than a regular theater and they have a greasy hot food menu that pretty good. (the deep-fried breadsticks are awesome)
6. Yep, can't do that.
7. see number one…

Of course, drive-ins aren't for everyone! It's kind of a small town thing…(read: rednecky)
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 16, 2007, 03:52 AM

I finally saw it tonight. It was ok. I think I expected more due to all the reviews I read.

Frenzy bugged me. Apparently his name should have been changed to stooge. I found his character to be unnatural for an alien robot. Yeah, that is what I said.

Since everyone else has avoided nitpicking I will try to as well. I did feel a lot of frustration with pacing and timing issues though. Sadly it still just felt like another Bay film to me. 20 minutes of action, 30 seconds of story.

The robots did look kick-ass though.

Oh, and there was absolutely no reason whatsoever for Bumblebee to piss on the sector7 guy. Not only does it not make sense for a robot to have any concept of the demeaning nature of urinating on another being, or for him to even waste any fluids that had to be replenished, but it was TOTALLY out of character for bumblebee. Even if you discount any previous cartoon/comic storyline that has built that character, the movie portrayal alone of bumblebee made this action out of character.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2007, 07:26 AM

He learned it from the dog.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2007, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
We have a good old-fashioned drive-in about 4 miles from my house which covers most of those reasons.

1. No strangers if you stay in your car and usually no strangers within a conversation distance if you are outside either.
2. Of course it's much more comfortable if you take your own chairs or even blanket and pillows and watch the movies under the stars. VERY casual.
4. Admission is $6.00 per person, $4.00 each kid from 5-11 and 5 and under are free for a double feature. The first movie being the newest release and the second usually being a new release in it's 2nd or 3rd week.
5. You can bring your own food…even alcohol…but the concession stand is more reasonably priced than a regular theater and they have a greasy hot food menu that pretty good. (the deep-fried breadsticks are awesome)
6. Yep, can't do that.
7. see number one…

Of course, drive-ins aren't for everyone! It's kind of a small town thing…(read: rednecky)
Sounds really cool. I don't know of a drive-in theater within 300 miles of here, though. There's one about half an hour away, but it's been shut down for about 10 years.

3. Uhhh, yeah…(I understand perfectly not using foul language in your life, but to be so uptight about HEARING foul language seems a bit silly. Especially since you know damn well what they are saying, so what's the difference? No offense!)
I'm not the type to gasp when someone swears (unless it's around one of my 6 and 2-year-old nephews), but my reasoning is that if I hear it constantly, I'll be more prone to reflexively use the words myself. So if it's possibly to control my intake, I do.

You're right in that I still know what they're saying, but I'm not hearing it. Plus, after using it for a few weeks, you start forgetting that those were originally swear words. Unless, like I said earlier, it's a Scorsese flick, and you never hear a single sentence in the movie.

paul w
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2007, 12:48 PM

I saw it. It was ok, better than a lot of other big blockbuster stuff but nothing transcendant.

The transforming and the fight scenes were a little blurry and hectic at times. Hard to tell what was actually going on. And the humans were at times absurdly awesome and heroic in the face of what should have been unstoppable machine robot killars.

I had forgotten how darned corny Optimus Prime was at times.

That Bad Robot trailer was amazing in that it really, really took us off gaurd. Nicely done, mixing the huge explosion with low grade video, made it seem more chillingly real.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 16, 2007, 12:51 PM

The production company is "Bad Robot". I believe the movie has no title yet but from what I read it's based on C'thulu.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2007, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Teronzhul View Post
Frenzy bugged me. Apparently his name should have been changed to stooge. I found his character to be unnatural for an alien robot. Yeah, that is what I said.
I think I am the only one who liked him. He was supposed to be playing the roll of one of those tapes inside soundwave and I liked the gremlin aspect to him.

The one transformer I didn't like was Jazz as they made him out to be a black guy with A.D.D. Perhaps they made him suck on purpose so when he dies nobody cares.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2007, 01:37 PM

Did Jazz have more than one line?
( Last edited by Ghoser777; Jul 16, 2007 at 05:44 PM. Reason: I typed "two" instead of "one"? WTF?)

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2007, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Ghoser777 View Post
Did Jazz have more than once line?
I heard at least 2

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2007, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
I heard at least twice
Fixed

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2007, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Ghoser777 View Post
Did Jazz have more than two line?
You wanna "Fix" that one also?

TransformersSucked
Banned
Aug 22, 2007, 02:51 PM

Well, I just saw Transformers. It was.... an AWFUL movie. All of you people claiming it's great really should have your heads checked. Was it entertaining? Sure. Was it a good movie? HELL NO.

1. Transformers were entirely too complicated to understand, or look at.
2. They all looked similar, you couldn't tell the good guys from the bad guys most of the time.
3. Blurry.
4. Awful "Freedom isn't free" speeches by Optimus Prime. Jesus christ. I think they should have added yellow "support our troops" ribbons on him. That would have been more authentic.
5. Optimus has lips? Wtf?
6. Horrible editing. What's going on now? Wait, what about those glasses! Wait, now what? The story was NOT smooth at all, and was very 'choppy' and hard to follow.
7. PRODUCT PLACEMENT. I saw a 90s chrysler minivan once. And I saw an old BMW. Other than that... GM GMGMGMGMGMGMGMGMGMGMGGMGMGMGMGMGMGMGMGMGMGGMGMGMGM GMGMGGMGMGMGMGMGMGGMGMGMGM. Jesus christ was that annoying.

All in all I give this movie a 2 out of 10. Yuck. I'm sure glad I didn't pay anything to see it.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2007, 02:53 PM

you pirate it and half your complaints are about production quality.

we don't have time to stop for gas

Dopetrackalisticness
Banned
Aug 22, 2007, 03:06 PM

Did I SAY I pirated it? No, I did not. For your information I saw it at a freaking THEATER, because I had free tickets.
Asshole.

Rumor
Aug 22, 2007, 03:34 PM

What theatre is still playing Transformers?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2007, 04:10 PM

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2007, 07:56 AM

What wold we do without Rob?

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2007, 08:15 AM

live happily
we don't have time to stop for gas

Forum Links
Forum Rules