Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > WWDC 2011 Keynote Thread

WWDC 2011 Keynote Thread (Page 4)
Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 8, 2011, 11:15 AM

You know, guys, I'm four minutes into SJ's presentation to the Cupertino city council (see other thread), and I don't think he sounds or looks nearly as bad as you guys are saying. His voice is weaker than one would like, yes, but not in way that sounds dire to me or much different from how he's sounded since he got sick originally. He looks thin, yes, but he has for years. And I don't see the coordination/balance issues people have been talking about. To me, he seems about the same as he has for a while. Am I really off base here?
( Last edited by Big Mac; Jun 8, 2011 at 11:29 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

P
Jun 8, 2011, 11:21 AM

I was wondering how long it would take until someone made that connection...

I'm also interested in exactly how high the fidelity of Apple's identification thingy is. If I record a song from the radio (which I believe is still legal around here, as we're paying a small fee on recording media to support it) and feed that into iTunes Match, does that give me a 256 kbit AAC version of the same thing?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 8, 2011, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
I'm also interested in exactly how high the fidelity of Apple's identification thingy is. If I record a song from the radio (which I believe is still legal around here, as we're paying a small fee on recording media to support it) and feed that into iTunes Match, does that give me a 256 kbit AAC version of the same thing?
Yep, that should still work.

You guys realise where all this (not just Apple - all of it) is heading, no?
In 10-20 years' time all the artistes with talent won't be getting paid enough to acquire the equipment or time they need to record their art and you'll be left with (1) talentless crap recorded by amateurs in GarageBand and (2) talentless crap like Beiber which is kept going via merchandising (to teenage girls).
We're nearly there now.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

OreoCookie
Jun 8, 2011, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
You know, guys, I'm four minutes into SJ's presentation to the Cupertino city council (see other thread), and I don't think he sounds or looks nearly as bad as you guys are saying. ... Am I really off base here?
I just don't see the spunk he has had in the years before. Have a look at the video of Macworld SF 2007 when the iPhone was introduced and compare that to the WWDC 2011 keynote.

In any case, the important point IMO is how the company is doing -- and I don't see Apple slacking here. The development pace of iOS is incredible (the competition is tough, Google is also pushing out update after update of Android), the software they're doing is great (there are some neglected step children such as Aperture, but I mean overall, they're doing quite well), the hardware is good, service is good, financial results are great. All that despite the fact that SJ has been battling with cancer and subsequent medical problems for several years.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 8, 2011, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
I just don't see the spunk he has had in the years before. Have a look at the video of Macworld SF 2007 when the iPhone was introduced and compare that to the WWDC 2011 keynote.
Yeah, of course, but that was 2007. A number of years ago now. And it's all relative - at WWDC 2006 there were comments about his "'thin, almost gaunt'" appearance and unusually 'listless' delivery.'" If that's what they were saying about him back, I don't really think he's gotten that much worse based on what I've seen so far.

Now I have enough courage to watch the keynote, after seeing him in front of the city council.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

freudling
Banned
Jun 8, 2011, 02:11 PM

Jobs looks deathly ill. This is the worst I have seen him, but not surprising since he's now well into his third medical leave.

The fat loss and muscle wasting to the point where there is hardly any mass left is a clear sign he is suffering from cancer and being treated with Chemotherapy. Obviously, after already going through a Whipple procedure and then a liver transplant, this time around it's going to be hard to beat it if indeed his cancer has returned, which it seems to clearly have. He looks terminal where the cancer has spread to other parts of his body from his pancreas, hence his gaunt appearance and need for Chemotherapy (I suspect Chemotherapy because there's evidence he's actually receiving it and his balance is all off).

In fact, it is widely believed that his liver transplant was because his cancer returned in the pancreas, and spread to his liver.

The only other explanation for him being so weak and frail is due to complications with his transplanted liver, but since there's evidence he's receiving Chemo, it must be a return of the cancer.

I know there has been some advances with his type of pancreatic cancer in terms of medications, especially a new pill that came out last year. The p values in the study were off the charts for the experimental group, and people are taking it now and having their lives extended. It reduces the chance of cancer returning in the pancreas.

I think that Steve Jobs is only alive because of his status, connections, and money. That he is getting the best treatment in the world, and is probably hooked up to a few machines at night to monitor all of his levels and vitals.

But if the cancer has returned again and spread, I wonder what his doctors are going to do other than Chemo. The problem is he's so weak that operating is a huge risk. For instance, doing another organ transplant if indeed he needs it (e.g., if cancer spread to an organ or organs).

Cancer is such a bitch because it's systemic and tumours are usually, simply pawns in the game of cancer chess. That is, tumours are like smokescreens. According to one theory that has been around for a while, they're not typically the root cause of cancer, but we only really have treatments to mitigate their size and ability to spread. Aside from environmental causes, according to said theory, stem cells may play a major roll in cancer. You can kill tumours all day but it may not stop the cancer from returning. It's when the stem cells go haywire and start accelerating their production of new cells that tumours form.

Unfortunately, you can put stem cells in a lethal, poisonous Chemo bath and they don't die. So Chemo doesn't stop what some believe to be the root cause of cancer.

I'm very curious about Jobs' medical treatments because to be honest, I think it's a miracle the man is still alive.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2011, 03:00 PM

^ Morbid much? ^

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 8, 2011, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
^ Morbid much? ^

Will you be upset when he dies? I won't. I'll be a little bummed and stuff, but that's probably about it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 8, 2011, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Will you be upset when he dies? I won't. I'll be a little bummed and stuff, but that's probably about it.
Would you get more bummed if some jazz guy you liked died?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 8, 2011, 03:37 PM

Steve's learning the hard way that when a doctor tells you you have cancer and you need to treat it, don't go to Tibet and take herbal remedies.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 8, 2011, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Would you get more bummed if some jazz guy you liked died?

Yes, because I just happen to think that Jobs' personal impact on us is less than we think. His leadership was/is clearly important and the timing of his leadership in Apple's darkest hour was likewise historically important, but where Apple is now I don't think his absence will be as missed.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 8, 2011, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Yes, because I just happen to think that Jobs' personal impact on us is less than we think.
We're aware of that. So maybe you should just let it go and stop informing us every time anyone gets wistful.

Ot would you rather I tell you how much I don't care the next time you post the passing of some obscure musician I've never heard of?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 8, 2011, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Steve's learning the hard way that when a doctor tells you you have cancer and you need to treat it, don't go to Tibet and take herbal remedies.
The bastard has probably seen a chiropractor before, too.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 8, 2011, 03:47 PM

Point made. Now please both shut up and let the discussion of WWDC news continue.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 8, 2011, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Point made. Now please both shut up and let the discussion of WWDC news continue.
Replied to for pointless spite.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 8, 2011, 03:54 PM

We're aware of that. So maybe you should just let it go and stop informing us every time anyone gets wistful.

Ot would you rather I tell you how much I don't care the next time you post the passing of some obscure musician I've never heard of?

Point taken, I'll shaddup...

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2011, 03:59 PM

Would you get more bummed if some jazz guy you liked Linus Torvalds died?
Fixed.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2011, 04:06 PM

Alright, back on topic. Who was the guy in the audience using his iPad to facetime the event? That's an awful long time to hold up an iPad.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 8, 2011, 04:07 PM

I guess it couldn't be Leo LaPorte this time, eh?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 8, 2011, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Fixed.

Linus dying wouldn't kick my ass, but I'd be very upset if Steve Guttenberg died.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 8, 2011, 04:09 PM

As would he!

Salty
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2011, 12:11 AM

I sure hope iCloud doesn't back up Besson's ability to derail threads.

Ham Sandwich
Jun 11, 2011, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
I sure hope iCloud doesn't back up Besson's ability to derail threads.
Probably not. After all, I own the iCloud name.

So that means I can sue him, Besson, and anyone else who uses the iCloud name to derail threads.

Forum Links
Forum Rules