Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Move over antennagate, it's time for Bendghazi

Move over antennagate, it's time for Bendghazi (Page 5)
Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2014, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Needs a catchy scandal name.
Intragalactic Space-gate
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2014, 10:50 PM

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2014, 11:35 PM

You can tell he's a CEO, everything he said was a distorted account of events.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2014, 12:24 AM

So all CEOs are liars? Got it.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2014, 02:18 AM

What else is he going to say? Like most mobiles phone companies, his fate is inextricably tied with Apple's success.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2014, 11:24 AM

Well, let's see - since this whole thing started, have people REALLY been complaining about bent phones? Millions sold. If this were truly an epidemic, we'd be hearing more about it.

Are we?

No.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2014, 06:04 PM

With the new return policy, who knows? Bend the phone, get a new one.
- Thomas Paine

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2014, 06:14 PM

Have you bent your phone, Shaddim?
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2014, 06:17 PM

it's not mine, it's my wife's.
- Thomas Paine

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2014, 06:51 PM

OAW

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2014, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
With the new return policy, who knows? Bend the phone, get a new one.
This is umm ... "unpersuasive" at best. Even if such a policy exists there is still absolutely NOTHING to prevent those affected from commenting about their experience all over the internet. Surely you don't think Apple is forcing customers to sign some sort of NDA in exchange for a new iPhone 6 "no questions asked"?

OAW

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2014, 08:12 PM

Most people who love Apple won't badmouth them, even if such a thing happens. Apple instating the NQA policy on bent phones immediately after launch was a really smart move.
- Thomas Paine

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2014, 08:27 PM

Shhhhh .... it's a conspiracy.

OAW

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2014, 10:16 PM

Oh, give me a break, Shaddim. Nobody's bending their goddamn phones. Just because the return policy exists doesn't prove that there's a flaw. Apple replaced my wife's screen because she dropped it accidentally. For free. Apple doesn't have a "gravity flaw".

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2014, 11:18 PM

That was being nice, not a company-wide policy. As I said before, you don't take such actions and make announcements about it unless there are issues. Of course there's a flaw, 14 y/os can bend them with their bare hands, and without a lot of work*. The thinness was a design mistake, a tiny bit thicker and it could have a properly smooth back, as well as a larger battery, too. However, they can absorb the cost of replacing returned phones, it's not like it's going to cause them to tank financially.

(* I don't condone damaging private property, that was a dick move on their part.)
- Thomas Paine

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2014, 12:57 AM

And yet....no more talk about bent iPhone in the media. It's almost as if it was BS to begin with!

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2014, 02:37 AM

Were practically arguing over whether the earth is flat or not. If you don't trust the Consumer Reports test, then do your own with calibrated equipment and get back to us. Until then, the ad nauseam repetition of anecdotal evidence is getting tedious.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2014, 05:28 AM

There is one weak point in the casing. If you bend it with that point as the fulcrum, it bends easy. Clearly it doesn't happen by accident very often though.

Whats odd is Apple issuing a replacement policy so quick and telling anyone about it. Traditionally they drag their feet for months and then institute an REP quietly.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2014, 09:22 AM

Had not been following the discussion closely on here but I had just assumed because of your insistence that you had run into the problem. Went back and re-read and you look to be basing it on the same initial reports of bending, and skeptically discounting the CR test.

Can you arrange for your own CR-like test? I imagine you already have suitable test equipment available since you have your own garage (not that it's very complicated), and if Apple is offering a no-questions asked return policy, I would think there's no downside to double-checking the CR report - and you seem to have lots of phones, so you might be able to try out some others as well (not sure if other companies have a similar policy but let's face it...you're good for it. )

Let me know what you think. I'd definitely be interested in some independent results.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2014, 09:53 AM

IIRC there are what, 9 reports of the bends?

Better than a plastic android POS cracking and creaking, but I digress.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 7, 2014, 10:18 AM

As I said before, you don't take such actions and make announcements about it unless there are issues.
Yes, you certainly do take those actions when a PR issue like that exists.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2014, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
And yet....no more talk about bent iPhone in the media. It's almost as if it was BS to begin with!
Right, as if the generally pro-Apple media would keep talking about it, they might get blacklisted and not receive their samples anymore. Yeah, that's how it works, it's like Ferrari and the way they handle reviewers, and the press in general. Now, that doesn't mean I hate Ferrari, I love their cars (they're beautiful imperfections as well) and it hasn't stopped me from buying them, but the company is brutal towards any criticism (warranted or otherwise) and controls their product image with an iron fist, just like Apple.

Originally Posted by iMOTOR View Post
Were practically arguing over whether the earth is flat or not. If you don't trust the Consumer Reports test, then do your own with calibrated equipment and get back to us. Until then, the ad nauseam repetition of anecdotal evidence is getting tedious.
When you can talk about this without hurling ad hominem-filled false equivalence, then we can talk rationally. None of that helps you in any way. Furthermore, there are far more instances, with video evidence, of the phone bending under much less force than CR demonstrated and they still won't discuss where they received their one sample for testing OR why they chose to focus the force on the exact middle of the phone instead of where the bending has actually been shown to occur. "We're Consumer Reports, case closed!" Pfftt, whatever.

As for running my own test, as if I have the time and inclination to do such a thing. Yes, it crossed my mind, but then I shattered my ankle and it's now it's held together with pins and in halo traction for next several weeks. I have a lot more important things to focus my attention on.

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
There is one weak point in the casing. If you bend it with that point as the fulcrum, it bends easy. Clearly it doesn't happen by accident very often though.

Whats odd is Apple issuing a replacement policy so quick and telling anyone about it. Traditionally they drag their feet for months and then institute an REP quietly.
It's an issue and they wanted to get in front of it, for a change. I applaud them for that but it does show the gravity of the problem, at least from their internal perspective. During Antennagate they waited 2 months after reports of problems started rolling in and then finally said, "Yeah, whatever, you're holding it wrong." Big difference, there.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2014, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Yes, you certainly do take those actions when a PR issue like that exists.
They've not demonstrated this type of "Johnny-on-the-spot" behavior to address a design problem before.
- Thomas Paine

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2014, 10:54 AM

If this was a wide-spread problem, people would be talking about it online. We would be seeing dozens of reports of bent iPhones all over the place. It's really that simple. People aren't going to keep it quiet because they like Apple. That's ridiculous.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2014, 02:26 PM

I agree it can't be that big a deal based on the lack of fuss compared to antennagate. Apple gets you page views so everyone loves to write stories about them at every opportunity. They aren't doing it here. Even if Apple had silenced some of them, Samsung would be pushing others to chime in and hype the story.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2014, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
If this was a wide-spread problem, people would be talking about it online. We would be seeing dozens of reports of bent iPhones all over the place. It's really that simple. People aren't going to keep it quiet because they like Apple. That's ridiculous.
QFT!

OAW

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2014, 04:40 PM

This just in!!!!

Still only nine people reported problems with their phone bending.

Skeptics want to cling to something because they need a "-gate" in their lives.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2014, 06:05 PM

I submit that having clarity on the sequence of events is helpful in getting a better sense of the motivations behind various statements ....

Originally Posted by Shaddim
The 6+ fits fine in my front pocket (I have one), even while I'm wearing "skinny" jeans, and if it were designed properly it wouldn't bend under normal carry circumstances.
i'm not sure what you're getting at, I've already said that I own a 6+... unless you're talking about the people who are bending them on camera, and since they're doing that it would seem they own those, as well.
Because I put my 6+ in my jeans' pocket and measured the amount of space left? I guess that actually does make me more of an authority on that than you.
I certainly don't think I would be "mischaracterizing" anything by saying that these statements seem to be designed to imply a sense of "personal authority" on the topic as a result of ownership of the device in question. So let's continue ...

So, anyway, I'm pretty amazed with the gaming on the 6+, technically it's Kim's but I stole it from her (again) to do some benchmarks and ended up playing a few games on it. However, the thing gets like seriously warm, warm enough to surprise me when I touched the back.
So now we have the first mention that the device actually belongs to the missus. Pretty much as an aside mentioned in passing.

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMonton
A sensible question given all the previous statements implying ownership of the device in question.

Seriously? It seems pretty clear that the purpose of the question was to find out whether or not the device Shaddim had "personal experience" with has bent given his insistence on a "design flaw". The particulars of who "technically" owned the device was undoubtedly beside the point. But as I said above ... the question was clearly ducked when it seemed like a simple yes or no was in order. The question then becomes ... to what end?

Had not been following the discussion closely on here but I had just assumed because of your insistence that you had run into the problem. Went back and re-read and you look to be basing it on the same initial reports of bending, and skeptically discounting the CR test.
Exactly! But I'll take it a step further. It seems like Shaddim implied a sense of "personal authority" when that suited his previous arguments about this supposed "design flaw". But once a "bottom line" question was posed ... as in is he even among the ranks of those with a bent iPhone 6+ given how hard in the paint he's been going on about it ... then all of a sudden it's not even his phone. Now does anyone really think that if "his/her/their" device was bent he wouldn't be trumpeting that fact all over the thread to support his position? Soooooo .... I think it's a fairly safe bet that the simple answer to Shortcut's question is "NO". But clearly, Shaddim is reluctant to just come right out and say that because that would only further undermine his credibility on the issue. So he sidesteps the question instead. And if he's subsequently pressed about why he's so adamant about something that he is not even impacted by he's now setup a ready made excuse ... "Of course it's not bent because my wife carries it in her purse." How convenient! It would actually be a pretty slick maneuver if it wasn't so transparent.

OAW
( Last edited by OAW; Oct 7, 2014 at 06:22 PM. )

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 7, 2014, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
Shaddim implied a sense of "personal authority"

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2014, 09:19 PM

I submit that having clarity on the sequence of events is helpful in getting a better sense of the motivations behind various statements ....

I certainly don't think I would be "mischaracterizing" anything by saying that these statements seem to be designed to imply a sense of "personal authority" on the topic as a result of ownership of the device in question. So let's continue ...

So now we have the first mention that the device actually belongs to the missus. Pretty much as an aside mentioned in passing.

A sensible question given all the previous statements implying ownership of the device in question.

Seriously? It seems pretty clear that the purpose of the question was to find out whether or not the device Shaddim had "personal experience" with has bent given his insistence on a "design flaw". The particulars of who "technically" owned the device was undoubtedly beside the point. But as I said above ... the question was clearly ducked when it seemed like a simple yes or no was in order. The question then becomes ... to what end?
Again, really? You just have to try and make drama for some idiotic internet points, right? I've only tried to have a discussion here but you're trying to make it personal, and that's just sad.

Of course, the best is how you imply that I make things up when I've already caught you in a lie on several occasions on this forum. You'll say anything to try and win an argument, I can only imagine how your own wife deals with that.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2014, 09:24 PM

Unlike you, right Spanky? You're much worse at showing that tendency.
- Thomas Paine

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2014, 09:25 PM

Again, really? You just have to try and make drama for some idiotic internet points, right? I've only tried to have a discussion here but you're trying to make it personal, and that's just sad.
Tell yourself whatever you want to tell yourself. But it should be noted that you STILL haven't answered Shortcut's rather straightforward question. And that speaks volumes.

OAW

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2014, 09:32 PM

Tell yourself whatever you want to tell yourself. But it should be noted that you STILL haven't answered Shortcut's rather straightforward question. And that speaks volumes.

OAW
What, "can I do a test like CR's"?

No, as I stated on in another thread last week, and again in this thread today:

As for running my own test, as if I have the time and inclination to do such a thing. Yes, it crossed my mind, but then I shattered my ankle and it's now it's held together with pins and in halo traction for next several weeks. I have a lot more important things to focus my attention on. No, I'm not going to waste time bending phones all day, why sit around doing what 14 year-olds have been able to reproduce so easily?
- Thomas Paine

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2014, 09:40 PM

What, "can I do a test like CR's"?

No, as I stated on in another thread last week, and again in this thread today:
And you wonder why?

OAW

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2014, 09:42 PM

And you wonder why?

OAW
Yeah, I answered the question, yet you continue to follow me, yipping like a lost puppy.
- Thomas Paine

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2014, 09:47 PM

Yeah, I answered the question, yet you continue to follow me, yipping like a lost puppy.
Is that right? Because AGAIN this was the original question that Shortcut posed to you. One that warranted a simple yes or no answer:

That doesn't have anything to do with a "CR Test". It simply goes to the heart of the issue here. Namely, whether or not the iPhone 6+ is getting bent by people just having them in their front pocket. So please ... do tell where you answered that question. Because the record reflects that you ducked it and said "it's not mine, it's my wife's."

OAW

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2014, 09:56 PM

Is that right? Because AGAIN this was the original question that Shortcut posed to you. One that warranted a simple yes or no answer:
No, if I'd bent my phone I would have said so here. However, just because I don't spend my time bending iPhones like some deranged idiot doesn't mean this isn't an interesting subject and there isn't room for conjecture. Apple isn't a sacred cow and criticizing them, and the weaknesses in their products, isn't a bad thing.

That doesn't have anything to do with a "CR Test". It simply goes to the heart of the issue here. Namely, whether or not the iPhone 6+ is getting bent by people just having them in their front pocket. So please ... do tell where you answered that question. Because the record reflects that you ducked it and said "it's not mine, it's my wife's."
As if you haven't ducked anything in the last few posts. That's hilarious!

And yes, bending my wife's phone would likely piss her off, since she already has all of her stuff moved over to it. Being married yourself, how is that even a matter for debate?

"Where's my phone?"
"Here."
"Why is it bent in half?!?"
"Because internet trolls."
"You asshole."
- Thomas Paine

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2014, 10:03 PM

You guys need to get a room.

-t

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2014, 10:14 PM

No, if I'd bent my phone I would have said so here.
Wow. Had to drag you kicking and screaming into providing a simple answer to a simple question! But in the end it wasn't so bad now was it?

However, just because I don't spend my time bending iPhones like some deranged idiot doesn't mean this isn't an interesting subject and there isn't room for conjecture.
Well I for one have never suggested you or anyone else try to intentionally bend your iPhone just for sh*ts and grins. That would be foolishness of the highest order. But I submit that the fundamental bone of contention here is that there are some such as yourself who will lend credence to this #bendgate "issue" based upon conjecture whereas there are others such as myself who will only do so based upon evidence. And on that note .... I rest my case.

OAW

unicast reversepath
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2014, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post

-t
preferably, a room without internet access
If you have Ghosts, you have Everything!

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2014, 10:36 PM

Wow. Had to drag you kicking and screaming into providing a simple answer to a simple question! But in the end it wasn't so bad now was it?
Or you could use common sense and figure out that if I had, and since we've been discussing this very subject, I would have said so.

Well I for one have never suggested you or anyone else try to intentionally bend your iPhone just for sh*ts and grins. That would be foolishness of the highest order. But I submit that the fundamental bone of contention here is that there are some such as yourself who will lend credence to this #bendgate "issue" based upon conjecture whereas there are others such as myself who will only do so based upon evidence. And on that note .... I rest my case.
I give it credence because numerous videos show that it's so easy to do, so easy a 14 y/o can do it in a crowded store, in a matter of seconds, with his bare hands. (Again, I don't condone the destruction of private property and what they did was definitely wrong.) Obviously the young lad is an Olympic class weightlifter in disguise...
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2014, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by unicast reversepath View Post
preferably, a room without internet access
Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post

-t
"People are talking online and disagreeing, it must be stopped!"

You need to get a grip.
- Thomas Paine

unicast reversepath
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2014, 10:41 PM

You need to get a grip.

QAW is trolling you, and rather successfully too.

You should stop 'feeding' him.
( Last edited by unicast reversepath; Oct 7, 2014 at 11:20 PM. Reason: removed the rude thing at the bottom)

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2014, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by unicast reversepath View Post
QAW is trolling you, and rather successfully too.

You should stop 'feeding' him.
Of course he is, it's the standard MO when some people around here get upset over a subject, go after the individual to divert from the topic. It's a page directly taken out of the Youtube comments section handbook. But, I'm bored and it's a diversion.
- Thomas Paine

unicast reversepath
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2014, 10:58 PM

Of course he is, it's the standard MO when some people around here get upset over a subject, go after the individual to divert from the topic. It's a page directly taken out of the Youtube comments section handbook. But, I'm bored and it's a diversion.

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2014, 11:31 PM

Unlike you, right Spanky? You're much worse at showing that tendency.
Weird, since I'm not the one that conveniently has an unverifiable and unlikely personal anecdote to back up every weak argument I try and make here.

why sit around doing what 14 year-olds have been able to reproduce so easily?
Internet arguments? Yeah, why would you do that?

I love when someone taking part in a long, drawn-out, pedantic argument on the internet claims that they're too busy and important for...well...anything.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2014, 11:34 PM

^^^
Apparently it's not just me who can peep game.

OAW

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2014, 11:52 PM

No phones were bent in the writing of this post.

BTW: Do we know *how* those 9 phones were bent?

And if you're still keeping score, it's still 9 phones. Out of 11 million.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2014, 12:05 AM

Nobody talked about stopping.

Who said we won't be watching

-t

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2014, 01:45 AM

Weird, since I'm not the one that conveniently has an unverifiable and unlikely personal anecdote to back up every weak argument I try and make here.
You're just a typical e-bully, armed with nothing more than sarcasm and bitterness. Stop me if you've heard this, but I'll bet most people who know you can't even stand the sight of you and you're still trying to figure out why.

Internet arguments? Yeah, why would you do that?

I love when someone taking part in a long, drawn-out, pedantic argument on the internet claims that they're too busy and important for...well...anything.
Yeah, why wouldn't I? From what I can tell you don't do anything but troll and post pictures of your home theater, that's infinitely more valuable, right? I'll take being pedantic over being wholly useless, any day.
- Thomas Paine

Forum Links
Forum Rules