Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook 17" Review!!

Powerbook 17" Review!! (Page 5)
AssassyN
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2003, 09:35 PM

ROFL!!!!! It stinks?! That's terrible!

But on another topic, here's some MORE PICTURES!!!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 19, 2003, 09:41 PM

Originally posted by Karim:
Remember I have quite a few background processes going, but they're on both machines. The tests are only meant to show the realtive strengths between the two not for comparison to the average machine with a stock configuration delivered from the factory.

I don't want to go in and disable all my USB drivers and such.

The firmware is DWDB
Have you tried benching as root?

I tried it again as root, and my overall TiBook score is almost identical to my previous, at 90.

Anyways, I find the bickering in this thread about which PowerBook looks better kinda amusing. Both look gorgeous. It's like arguing whether a Porsche Boxster looks better than a Ferrari 308.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2003, 09:41 PM

Man, I need my 17" PB!

Last night something really insane happened...I actually DREAMED that Apple sent me an email w/ the tracking # to my PB, and I was so excited that I actually woke up fully believing what was going on (not yet realizing it was a dream) and so at like 2:45am I come barelling out of bed to check my email only to find it empty and the realization that I've been had by a dream sunk in...man, it was sad.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2003, 10:15 PM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
Man, I need my 17" PB!

Last night something really insane happened...I actually DREAMED that Apple sent me an email w/ the tracking # to my PB, and I was so excited that I actually woke up fully believing what was going on (not yet realizing it was a dream) and so at like 2:45am I come barelling out of bed to check my email only to find it empty and the realization that I've been had by a dream sunk in...man, it was sad.
Yep..youreally need your baby...BTW, do you have any idea of a estimated shipping date??
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2003, 10:18 PM

Hehe, I sure do need it!

But as for an estimated shipping date, it's said "On or Before" 4/7/03 ever since the order, but my 17" Brenthaven Shoulder Case shipped a full 10 days early, and since people that had "3/20/03" dates got tracking numbers as early as "3/15/03", I'm hoping that it'll be a week or two off, or more, and that I'll see a tracking number by the end of next week (optimisim!)
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

iohead
Mar 19, 2003, 10:23 PM

Hehe, I sure do need it!

But as for an estimated shipping date, it's said "On or Before" 4/7/03 ever since the order, but my 17" Brenthaven Shoulder Case shipped a full 10 days early, and since people that had "3/20/03" dates got tracking numbers as early as "3/15/03", I'm hoping that it'll be a week or two off, or more, and that I'll see a tracking number by the end of next week (optimisim!)
My "On or Before" is 4/9/03 - I sure do hope that it ships at least a couple of weeks ahead of that!

Karim  (op)
Senior User
Mar 19, 2003, 11:15 PM

The war has begun!!

The 24 hour update:

My Superdrive is indeed burning at 16x better than the stated 8x. It works in iTunes & Toast at the 16x speed. I verified with ETA to burn and checking actual elapsed time.

The Fan is NEVER on. I did hear it once, it was very quiet and came on because I had the computer in bed (keep it out of the gutter) and it was resting on a comforter so it didn't have good cooling. It came on and went off after about 5 minutes and didn't come on again.

Plays really well in Wolfenstein & Ghost Recon & Xplane!

I would say it is better than the tibook in game play responsiveness.

I did not become jaded by the screen size, it still feels very big. And that is a positive thing!

Airport reception seems almost 50% better although I haven't really scientifically tested it.

My 512MB Sodimm arrives tomorrow so I will test VirtualPC some more when I get it.

Keeping the screen brightness on max pretty much negates the illuminated keyboard. You need to lower the screen brightness to really see the keyboard lights. Of course with the screen brightness on max, the keyboard is basked in really strong light..

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2003, 11:19 PM

SWEET!

I really hope my 17" burns at 16x...I just can't stress how awesome that'll be!

And I'm super glad to hear RtCW runs smoothly! w00t! Can't wait to prop this bad boy on an iCurve, plug in an external mouse/keyboard, attach my 23" HD Display, and GAME!!!!!!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

cwasko
Senior User
Mar 20, 2003, 02:20 AM

Not to be sore or anything... but I'd still rather have a drive that burns DVDs at 2x as initially stated. But, I guess 16x on the CD is better than nothing .

Here is my quick review of the 17":

Feels just as responsive and as quick as the 15" GigaBook. Not that I would expect anything less.

Very quiet. I've been beating the drive up all day by installing everything under the sun, dual monitors, all sorts of USB stuff, AirPort, and Bluetooth all going. Not too hot on the underside and the left palm rest is cool enough for me.

The keyboard has a 'weird' feel to it. It feels firm but soft. Hard to explain, but I find it much easier to type on than the 15" and most definately better then my wife's 600MHz iBook.

Bluetooth rocks. I decided to upgrade my Palm V today by purchasing the Tungsten. I'm totally impressed with Bluetooth. I can't wait till my Moto v60i dies so I have an excuse to get a Bluetooth phone. It was easy to setup and was relatively intuitive. The Palm and the 17" pretty much react and walk you through it.

The screen is bright and seems to have ok contrast. Nothing mind blowing but it looks good and is not fuzy or anything. But, the good thing is... its HUGE! Man I love being able to put everything up on a laptop .

Airport reception is not as good as my wife's iBook 600, but it is better than the 15". So I guess the 'windows' work, but not nearly as good as the plastic iBook.

I only have 512M RAM in it. I'm gonna order some RAM tomorrow. I checked out my mem stats and I've only got 12M free, so I guess I absolutely need more. I typicaly run: Seti, SetiDockling, iChat, Proteus, Frogblast, Mail, NetNewsWire, Safari, Camino, Terminal, Interarchy, EIMS, QuickDNS Manager, VNCThing, Timbuktu, BBEdit, GoLive, Excel, Word, OmniGraffle, OmniOutline. Even with all this running, it handles it all quite well... much better than my poor, o'll B&W did.

Well, that is all I got for now. NO problems with it what-so-ever. I'm a very satisfied customer. Worth the wait

badnewsblair
Senior User
Mar 20, 2003, 02:24 AM

Thanks 'cwasko'! You live in Manassas don't you? Got your's at Tysons? Sorry I couldn't have given you the word fast enough, though it looks like you did just fine. When I get mine sometime, we'll have to have a party!
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

cwasko
Senior User
Mar 20, 2003, 02:25 AM

Doh... almost forgot...

Here are some pics I took throughout the day. nothing exciting, but I think they demonstrate the scale of it pretty well... which is what I was going for.

CWasko's Pics

cwasko
Senior User
Mar 20, 2003, 02:29 AM

Originally posted by badnewsblair:
Thanks 'cwasko'! You live in Manassas don't you? Got your's at Tysons? Sorry I couldn't have given you the word fast enough, though it looks like you did just fine. When I get mine sometime, we'll have to have a party!
Yup. I called them about 10:50 and they had a 'hold over' from someone who didn't pick it up the day before. So they plastered my name on it and I high-tailed it over there and was home by 12:00. I was all over them, I was calling every Apple Store between CT and VA starting on Monday, a few times a day. I'm ultra-persistent when it comes to dire situations .

Yea, my business partner has the 15" and his GF is going to get the 12". Just gonna be one big, happy laptop house over here.

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2003, 06:46 AM

First off the battery info was good, and since you ran it on full brightness, full speed and got almost 3 hours that's excellent. I almost never run mine at full brightness. I think it could easily get through a long film on a flight with proper power settings.

Second, what kind of clearance is there between the screen and the keyboard. I scanned throught the posts but haven't seen any reports. Are there pad between to protect it? When carrying it, would the pressure of your grip be enough to cause contact?

Thanks in advance!
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

Karim  (op)
Senior User
Mar 20, 2003, 12:33 PM

When the 17" is closed there is about a 1/8" gap between the screen and the keyboard. There are bumpers that I realized had been moved from the keyboard side to the top of the screen frame. They seem to be the exact same type as the 15"

When you grasp it to carry it around the screen does compress somewhat towards the keyboard but I haven't seen any keyboard marks on the screen yet and I've carried it around a bit so far.

It seems much better than the 15" which we all know would get screen marks quick.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 20, 2003, 12:36 PM

When the 17" is closed there is about a 1/8" gap between the screen and the keyboard. There are bumpers that I realized had been moved from the keyboard side to the top of the screen frame. They seem to be the exact same type as the 15"

When you grasp it to carry it around the screen does compress somewhat towards the keyboard but I haven't seen any keyboard marks on the screen yet and I've carried it around a bit so far.

It seems much better than the 15" which we all know would get screen marks quick.
I didn't get the keyboard marks on my 15" until about several weeks after not using any protector. Now I use a protector. I'd suggest the same for the 17" just to be safe.

Fortunately, my keyboard marks were wipe-off-able. This is not true for my iBook, which I used for months without a protector.

Sako
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2003, 03:42 PM

cwasko: congratulations I'm still waiting mine
17" PowerBook is the best notebook for me, and I think for everyone else

I will switch to 17" when it will arive Now I'm using Sony Vaio
Last days of intel for me

And I wonder 2 things:

First! You have Morola V60i ? Is it CDMA 800/1900 ? Am I right ?
If yes, which phone will you get with BlueTooth ?
There is no CDMA phone with Bluetooth ? Am I right ?
Cause I'm looking for one now
Maybe Quacera 7135 with optional BlueTooth SD card from Toshiba ?
IF V60i gsm phone, then sorry

And the my second question is:

About Keyboard light: is it WHITE, (as I can see in pictures), or is it realy Blue ? (as I can see from Apple Website and from QuickTime Movie from Apple WebSite too ?) ?

Thanks in advance

P.S. I hope, I will like APPLE
Waiting my 17" :)

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 20, 2003, 05:34 PM

Originally posted by DVD Plaza:
You don't need the machine to know the answer to this.

A typical movie is at an aspect ratio of 1.85:1, which is 16:9 - since the 17" PowerBook is 16:10 you'll only end up with teensy black bars.

On the other hand a sci-fi movies (and a lot of megga blockbusters) are extremely wide, 2.35:1, so you'll always end up with thick black bars - they'll just be much thinner on the PowerBook than you would get on a 4:3 television.
To add to this, TV shows on DVD (Or non Widescreen discs) will appear with bars down the right and left sides, returning the screen to a 4:3 output. There is no way to make a display that will not have black bars somewhere, since there are three common aspect rations for media, and even more ratios that are less frequently used.

kmingis
Mar 20, 2003, 05:35 PM

Hi Sako. The keyboard lighting on the PB 17 is white, although it has a slightly blue-ish cast to it. But it's white, not purple as it appears on the Apple Web site.

Karim  (op)
Senior User
Mar 20, 2003, 05:48 PM

I received my extra 512MB sodimm from http://www.18004memory.com/ (Coast to Coast memory) today. I got the generic chip which was about $117 + shipping.

I just popped her in and it works great! No up 1 GB.

It was easy to put the ram in, you pop out the battery and then remove 3 phillips screws which lets you pop off a plate and then the ram sockets are there and you don't need to pull the first one out or anything. Put the plate back with the screws, pop the battery back in and away you go.

OSXFreak
Mar 20, 2003, 05:55 PM

Karim - did you notice the performance increase after fitting the additonal 512?

Also, have you managed to get an FPS for RTCW yet?
I merely like XP; I'm having a passionate love affair with OS X

Karim  (op)
Senior User
Mar 20, 2003, 07:00 PM

Performance does seem to be the same after the extra 512MB for routine tasks - web, email, word, excel. I need to check out VPC & other more processor intensive stuff to get any feel for it being any faster.

Karim  (op)
Senior User
Mar 20, 2003, 07:01 PM

RTCW v1.41:

quality: high
Video: 1024x768
Color: 32 bit
Light: light map(high)
Geometric: high
Character detail: high
Character Textures: extra
General Textures: high
Texture filter: trilinear
Compress textures: yes
Texture quality: 32bit
Nvidia distance fog: yes
ATI truform: yes

Frame rates:

higest: 90
lowest: 38
Average 50-60

Wet Jimmy
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2003, 07:48 PM

Wow, excellent benchmarks, Karim! Now, you'd be my favourite person in the world if you could test Virtual PC 6 (XP Pro, I hope) and post your findings! I'll be running exactly the same setup as yourself (PB17/1GB) and I'll be using VPC quite a lot, so this is something I've really been worrying over. I work in an all PC environment, so if VPC isn't up to speed, I may be in big trouble!

Cheers!

k2director
Senior User
Mar 20, 2003, 07:53 PM

Thanks for all the updates, Karim.

Any idea how your 1Ghz Ti performed on the Wolfenstein test? I've got the Ti with ATI 9000, and am curious if I'll experience any performance drop under the 17"'s Nvidea chipset.

Sako
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2003, 08:19 PM

kmingis, maybe you know this, but why the keyboard light is white ?
Why not purple (blue) like at apple web site ?

Is it better to have it white ?

And one more question, if I will made laser graviation on the keys (I mean other language then English), will it light like english letters ?

Thanks ))
Waiting my 17" :)

nagromme
Senior User
Mar 20, 2003, 08:26 PM

Am I correct to think that they made the CPU half even THINNER than the 15" TiBook? (And so the screen is thicker? A good thing with all that size probably.)

The 17" looks amazingly thin, too thin to be a working computer! But the case rounding is different from the Ti, so it's hard to compare in the photos I've seen.

I wonder if the new Al 15" will be that thin--or if it's something they could do only by spreading the parts out more in the wider case. (A 15" AlBook with a new thinner CPU half, but WITHOUT the 17"'s extra screen thickness, would be the thinnest PBook ever.)
nagromme

kmingis
Mar 20, 2003, 08:28 PM

Hi again, Sako. I'm not sure why Apple chose white as the color. The purplish color is only because of the way it shows on the Apple site. I suppose they could have used other colors. As for the keys lighting up the same even if the keyboard is a different language, I'm pretty sure the color will be the same.

Herodotus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2003, 08:29 PM

Would you mind commenting on how tightly the lid closes(latches)? Also, at MWSF I noticed that on preproduction models the screen (when closed) bowed upwards a bit from the center (in front where it latches) to the corners... I assume this was just a preproduction issue, but I wondered if you notice any bowing on yours?

Thanks much!

kmingis
Mar 20, 2003, 08:49 PM

Herodotus, I just closed the lid and checked. It does bow up ever so slightly on either side. And there is a slight amount of give when it closes. I assume this is to keep the keys from coming into contact with the screen. Doesn't bother me in the least!

rameeti
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2003, 09:30 PM

The below is great but I'd like to see the complete results of a 512MB Ti 1 GHz machine so as to compare them to my 512MB Al 1 GHz.

Anyone? If so, please email them direct to me also at: [email protected]

Thanks

Tibook results:

Results 79.71
System Info
Xbench Version 1.0
System Version 10.2.4
Physical RAM 1024 MB
Model PowerBook3,5
Processor PowerPC G4 @ 1.00 GHz
Version 7455 (Apollo) v3.2
L1 Cache 32K (instruction), 32K (data)
L2 Cache 256K @ 667 MHz
L3 Cache 1024K @ 134 MHz
Bus Frequency 134 MHz
Video Card ATY,RV250M9
Drive Type FUJITSU MHS2060AT
CPU Test 98.36
GCD Recursion 85.27 3.33 Mops/sec
Floating Point Basic 94.52 318.58 Mflop/sec
AltiVec Basic 104.17 5.65 Gflop/sec
Floating Point Library 114.15 5.13 Mops/sec
Thread Test 62.38
Computation 62.25 501.50 Kops/sec, 4 threads
Lock Contention 62.51 784.63 Klocks/sec, 4 threads
Memory Test 98.58
System 93.86
Allocate 115.80 39.04 Kalloc/sec
Fill 129.13 740.49 MB/sec
Copy 64.17 320.87 MB/sec
Stream 103.80
Copy 101.07 441.97 MB/sec [altivec]
Scale 102.58 447.56 MB/sec [altivec]
Add 108.17 492.18 MB/sec [altivec]
Triad 103.64 455.38 MB/sec [altivec]
Quartz Graphics Test 117.07
Line 123.15 3.13 Klines/sec [50% alpha]
Rectangle 118.89 8.36 Krects/sec [50% alpha]
Circle 132.38 3.05 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]
Bezier 114.27 1.24 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]
Text 101.29 1.65 Kchars/sec
OpenGL Graphics Test 96.47
Spinning Squares 96.47 67.51 frames/sec
User Interface Test 103.52
Elements 103.52 35.22 refresh/sec
Disk Test 43.66
Sequential 41.31
Uncached Write 34.94 15.25 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Write 35.00 14.24 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Uncached Read 93.95 14.80 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Read 34.49 14.88 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Random 46.28
Uncached Write 56.50 0.85 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Write 37.57 8.62 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Uncached Read 50.57 0.33 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Read 44.78 8.78 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Karim  (op)
Senior User
Mar 20, 2003, 10:43 PM

My 17" has 1GB of ram now so I will run another xbench and re-compare to my 1GHZ 15".

I will run a VirtualPC benchmark now that I have 1GB of Ram.

Stay tuned!

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 20, 2003, 11:05 PM

Originally posted by rameeti:
The below is great but I'd like to see the complete results of a 512MB Ti 1 GHz machine so as to compare them to my 512MB Al 1 GHz.

Anyone? If so, please email them direct to me also at: [email protected]

Thanks
768 MB TiBook 1 GHz:
Code:
Results 90.48 System Info Xbench Version 1.0 System Version 10.2.4 Physical RAM 768 MB Model PowerBook3,5 Processor PowerPC G4 @ 1.00 GHz Version 7455 (Apollo) v3.2 L1 Cache 32K (instruction), 32K (data) L2 Cache 256K @ 667 MHz L3 Cache 1024K @ 134 MHz Bus Frequency 134 MHz Video Card ATY,RV250M9 Drive Type FUJITSU MHS2060AT CPU Test 114.17 GCD Recursion 117.87 4.60 Mops/sec Floating Point Basic 113.41 382.25 Mflop/sec AltiVec Basic 108.78 5.90 Gflop/sec Floating Point Library 117.09 5.26 Mops/sec Thread Test 64.99 Computation 63.84 514.28 Kops/sec, 4 threads Lock Contention 66.19 830.88 Klocks/sec, 4 threads Memory Test 98.95 System 101.63 Allocate 121.10 40.83 Kalloc/sec Fill 218.52 1253.08 MB/sec Copy 59.94 299.68 MB/sec Stream 96.40 Copy 95.93 419.52 MB/sec [altivec] Scale 97.23 424.20 MB/sec [altivec] Add 97.14 442.01 MB/sec [altivec] Triad 95.32 418.82 MB/sec [altivec] Quartz Graphics Test 125.03 Line 125.34 3.19 Klines/sec [50% alpha] Rectangle 120.36 8.47 Krects/sec [50% alpha] Circle 136.78 3.15 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha] Bezier 120.07 1.30 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha] Text 123.98 2.02 Kchars/sec OpenGL Graphics Test 103.75 Spinning Squares 103.75 72.61 frames/sec User Interface Test 113.53 Elements 113.53 38.63 refresh/sec Disk Test 59.98 Sequential 60.38 Uncached Write 55.91 24.39 MB/sec [4K blocks] Uncached Write 52.37 21.31 MB/sec [256K blocks] Uncached Read 97.15 15.30 MB/sec [4K blocks] Uncached Read 52.70 22.74 MB/sec [256K blocks] Random 59.59 Uncached Write 67.35 1.02 MB/sec [4K blocks] Uncached Write 52.53 12.05 MB/sec [256K blocks] Uncached Read 59.15 0.38 MB/sec [4K blocks] Uncached Read 61.23 12.00 MB/sec [256K blocks]
I find memory makes little difference (at least if you have 384 MB or more).

Karim  (op)
Senior User
Mar 21, 2003, 12:36 AM

Virtual PC test with 384MB given to VPC, full screen mode, with Windows XP with up to date service packs.

I used passmark to do the benchmarks and compared it to a generic Pentium III running at 850mhz.

For full benchmark results see my test:
http://www.kkinvestments.com/other/vpcperf.gif

My summation is that in general the performance of VPC on my 17" with 1GB Ram equals approximately a PIII at 288Mhz. Or about 1/3 the speed of the G4 processor.

Does it feel SNAPPIER than VPC on the Tibook 15"... YES. Quite a bit.

cwasko
Senior User
Mar 21, 2003, 12:37 AM

Originally posted by Sako:
First! You have Morola V60i ? Is it CDMA 800/1900 ? Am I right ?
If yes, which phone will you get with BlueTooth ?
There is no CDMA phone with Bluetooth ? Am I right ?
Cause I'm looking for one now
Maybe Quacera 7135 with optional BlueTooth SD card from Toshiba ?
IF V60i gsm phone, then sorry
Its just the plain v60i form Moto. I'm pretty sure it is not GSM. Hopefully that'll tell you what you need to know. I'm not sure which phone I will get yet. I was hoping Moto would come out with a BT, SyncML compatible phone before my v60 dies. I usualy go through a phone about every 8 months and I've got 6 on this one, so I'm sure its days are numbered.

Originally posted by Sako:
And the my second question is:

About Keyboard light: is it WHITE, (as I can see in pictures), or is it realy Blue ? (as I can see from Apple Website and from QuickTime Movie from Apple WebSite too ?) ?
The kybd is the same color as the rest of the 'book. The lighting is white with a slight tint of blue. Its not as bright as the website seems to show, but it does work good.

I spent the whole day using the 17" today and it was a dream. I didn't feel like I was using a laptop. I never once got that confined feeling I do with other laptops.

baglunch
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2003, 12:43 AM

I agree, I have a 17" 1ghz g4 1gb ram and i'm clocking an average of 92 - 98 overall. I think the drive speed, and bus have a lot to do with it, or are at least a potential bottleneck.

yosemitesamiam
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2003, 08:51 AM

Originally posted by slboett:
OMG - just got our first 17"!!!
Does anyone else's smell really bad? I don't know if it's the box, styrofoam or what, but who cares???
The box is very cool - all black.
WOW!

SB
Does this mean that the Pasadena store finally has them now too?

Does anyone know if the retail locations can deal with ADC discounts directly? Or do I need to go through Apple directly on the website?

Thanks guys...I really enjoyed reading all the posts and play by play reactions....NICE!

Now I'm just beating my head against the wall, deciding when is the best moment to order (I have to have a laptop for school...Azusa Pacific Ed Tech program).

BTW- Anyone know what I could get for my beige tower? It used to be a G3 333. It is now running a Powerlogix G4 @600, has 768 RAM, USB/Firewire, a 40X burner, 17" monitor, Radeon 7000, and 120GB HD. Also comes with all the old original (and crusty) parts...including the G3 ZIF.

Or should I donate to science? hehe...right!
Where's the 'Make Coffee' button on
this thing?

Marko Karppinen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2003, 09:49 AM

No, you can't get the ADC discount at the retail Apple Stores. You can't even get your online ADC order shipped to an Apple Store for pickup. Your transaction needs to be 100% online.

yosemitesamiam
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2003, 10:45 AM

Originally posted by Marko Karppinen:
No, you can't get the ADC discount at the retail Apple Stores. You can't even get your online ADC order shipped to an Apple Store for pickup. Your transaction needs to be 100% online.
Oh well...I guess I can just use the Apple Store in Pasadena for "Playtime"

this thing?

mcs37
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2003, 11:58 AM

ROFL!!!!! It stinks?! That's terrible!

But on another topic, here's some MORE PICTURES!!!
Nice pictures there. BTW that girl Jill is ****ing hot!

Mike

OSXFreak
Mar 21, 2003, 02:31 PM

Karim,

Thanks for the RTCW benchmarks - could you run a test in native (1440x900) resolution?

In case you don't know how to do this:

Go to the console (` key) and type:
\seta r_customheight 900
\seta r_customwidth 1440
\seta r_mode -1
\vid_restart

TIA!
I merely like XP; I'm having a passionate love affair with OS X

Karim  (op)
Senior User
Mar 21, 2003, 09:22 PM

Originally posted by OSXFreak:
Karim,

Thanks for the RTCW benchmarks - could you run a test in native (1440x900) resolution?
High FPS:60
Low FPS:35
Average:50

Wet Jimmy
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 22, 2003, 04:51 AM

Originally posted by mcs37:
Nice pictures there. BTW that girl Jill is ****ing hot!
Geez dude, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and whatnot, but your REALLY need to get out more if that's your idea of hot....

tanhauser
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 22, 2003, 05:10 AM

Karim,

Very interesting results of RTCW running on 1440x900. From your previous post, it seems there's not a significant difference between the average FPS on 1024 and 1440.

How does it play on 1440? Is it as smooth as 1024?

F

Karim  (op)
Senior User
Mar 22, 2003, 10:24 AM

Yeah it is just as smooth on the max resolution. I suppose the average is more like 45-50 for the higher rez so their is a numerical difference between 1024x768 and 1440x900 but the eye doesn't really notice things above 30fps so that may be the reason.

It is nice having it fullscreen on such a large screen!

Alphy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2003, 12:59 PM

Yeah it is just as smooth on the max resolution. I suppose the average is more like 45-50 for the higher rez so their is a numerical difference between 1024x768 and 1440x900 but the eye doesn't really notice things above 30fps so that may be the reason.

It is nice having it fullscreen on such a large screen!

It has been proven that the eye can detect 30fps of higher. The 30fps you're reffering to only applies to general video.

When you're playing 3d games it's a total different story. This has been heavily discussed and tested amongst the gaming community in the past. This was heavily discussed around the beginnings when 3dfx 2 came out as we were able to reach greater than 30 fps in many games and people were wondering if it was benificial or not to have such high frame rates or not.

Gaming on the mac is certainly one of its weakest strengths.

Karim  (op)
Senior User
Mar 22, 2003, 02:30 PM

I understand the benefits of the FPS going above the rate an eye can perceive motion: Allowing for multiplayer configs that burn up some cycles/frames in their communication and synchronization overhead.

But, as far as can the eye see much beyond 30fps I still maintain that it is common knowledge that it cannot and the response time on alot of LCD panels is 30-40ms which limits their FPS to around 33-25 respectively.

tanhauser
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 22, 2003, 02:41 PM

I concur with Karim, from a visual point of view, anything above 30 FPS makes no difference to the human eye; it does however affect the performance of the game in the sense that the higher the frame rate is, the better the game will run with all its bells and whistles...

F

yosemitesamiam
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2003, 03:43 PM

Gaming on the mac is certainly one of its weakest strengths.

Yeah...just what I always wanted....a $3400 gameboy.

this thing?

real
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 22, 2003, 04:35 PM

It's more like 60 FPS but I Karim you are right, It's really when you hear poeple "I got 150FPS I love it that high". I know it around 60 becuase of the frame rate in Imax is around that Dont know the exact frame rate but it cloe to that. Imax has a smoother feel than video and way more smooth and less motion blur to film.

REAL
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2003, 08:01 PM

I'd be thrilled to have a laptop that gets 50fps :drool:
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

Forum Links
Forum Rules