Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Battlestar Galactica [SPOILERS]

Battlestar Galactica [SPOILERS] (Page 6)
Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2005, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Ganesha
It has just been established that Cylons can't have babies (except for the Boomer/Halo). Therefore anyone who has had a kid is exempt from being a Cylon. Therefore Commander Adama is not a Cylon. Unless, all the Adama's (Commander, Lee, Zack) are Cylons and just made up the story of them being a family.

All this assumes all human Cylons are OEM and not clones of real humans.
What if he was just replaced with a Cylon?

I can't believe boomer has really been around that long.
"That's okay, I'd like to keep it on manual control for a while."

bstone
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2005, 09:28 PM

12 Tribes is a Jewish theme.

I'm from the Tribe of Benjamin.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2005, 01:57 AM

I'm not sure if you were trying to contradict me, bstone, but I do know the "12 tribes" is a reference to Israel. However, Mormonism likes to coopt as much Jewish doctrine as it can. You can tell it was the Mormon version at work here because (besides the entire series obviously being patterned around the religion) there was a lost 13th tribe, which is much more of a Mormon theme than a Jewish theme.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

bstone
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2005, 02:00 AM

Point taken and understood.

bstone out.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2005, 03:00 PM

So I guess the one person we are 100% sure is not a cylon is StarBuck as they are trying to breed her. I wonder why they new her name and why she is so special though?

Also The president isn't because she has cancer.

The thing that puzzles me is how they can encounter a cylon party on the planet, fight them, beat them and that's the end of it. You would think they have communications in them so the second they start shooting at rebels about 100 raiders swoop down and end it.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2005, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Scandalous Ion Cannon
So I guess the one person we are 100% sure is not a cylon is StarBuck as they are trying to breed her. I wonder why they new her name
Probably because some of their agents on Galactica (and possibly on Caprica before that) have met her?
Chuck
___

finboy
Aug 15, 2005, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Probably because some of their agents on Galactica (and possibly on Caprica before that) have met her?
Probably b/c all Boomers have access to the Galatica's Boomer's memories. I think that's been made pretty clear several times on the show. The Cylons know all of the series' principals.

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2005, 04:22 PM

If the new Boomer end up on Galactica and truly defects she should give away who every cylon is. If not they better have a good excuse.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2005, 05:03 PM

She'll probably get shot like everybody else on this show.
Chuck
___

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2005, 12:59 AM

Looks like this week's ep is going to kick ass. The Farm was such a great episode and answered a lot of questions.

Ganesha
Senior User
Aug 16, 2005, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by Scandalous Ion Cannon
The thing that puzzles me is how they can encounter a cylon party on the planet, fight them, beat them and that's the end of it. You would think they have communications in them so the second they start shooting at rebels about 100 raiders swoop down and end it.
The home basestar was probably the one that got nuked by Racetrack and Boomer.

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2005, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by Ganesha
The home basestar was probably the one that got nuked by Racetrack and Boomer.
No that was the one in orbit of cobol.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Aug 18, 2005, 07:25 PM

Canadians... (esp. you Scandalous)

HMV.ca/Amazon.ca is selling the Season 1 set for CAD$48.97 (which is US$40 for you Americans), including 3-day shipping. (Full retail is $69.95.)

"This title will be released on September 20, 2005."

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2005, 01:15 AM

Man, looks like next no new episode next week.

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2005, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by JHromadka
Man, looks like next no new episode next week.
That last one was sooo sooo good I can wait an extra week.

Any any rate it is the one with Lucy lawless playing a Cylon.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2005, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
Canadians... (esp. you Scandalous)

HMV.ca/Amazon.ca is selling the Season 1 set for...

The US Amazon store has is going for just $41.99 and free shipping. It will be released here the 20th also.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2005, 08:51 PM

I'm just now listening to the podcast, and they both hint that Helo is a Cylon, too.

What do you think? Where they just screwing with us?
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2005, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead
I'm just now listening to the podcast, and they both hint that Helo is a Cylon, too.

What do you think? Where they just screwing with us?
I thought it was hard to tell... they seemed to get a chuckle out of the idea on the podcast.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2005, 09:58 PM

I think they were joking. What Cylon purpose would it serve for Helo and Sharon to pretend to be parents?

Chris

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2005, 10:02 PM

I NEED INTERNET AT HOME! ARG!!!!!! The only downside to being in Japan is not having an internet connection at home so I can download the new Battlestar eps. Curse you Japan.

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 1, 2005, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by chabig
I think they were joking. What Cylon purpose would it serve for Helo and Sharon to pretend to be parents?

Chris
Well I'm assuming that their ultimate goal is for cylon reproduction, but they think without love they're incapable of reproduction. It wouldn't matter if helo/sharon didn't know if they were cylons, and it may have been planned for the original boomer to hook up with helo instead of galen. If neither of them knew, then there would have been a greater chance for them to fall for each other in normal human fashion, but Boomer obviously has some flaws. I'm sure that they'd prefer direct cylon/cylon reproduction than cylon/human reproduction although apparently the two are biologically interchangeable.

On a side note, I see lots of kids born to single mothers where love was never part of the equation. I suppose that the cylons entrenched in their religous philsophies could overlook logic in favor of their "love" answer, but if boomer pops out a baby cylon, I want a damn good reason for why it worked.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2005, 05:44 PM

OMFG! Blackbird!!!11

P.S. Xena... err... Lucy Lawless rocks.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2005, 06:12 PM

OMFG! Blackbird!!!11

I'm getting that you are excited about something. Is it the name of the ship? Or you just like it's style and/or capabilities? I'm sure your post made sense to you at the time but maybe you'd like to follow up on it now that you've calmed down?

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2005, 06:12 PM

Yes, Eug likes Blackbird.

EDIT

Scifi.com tells us:

VCR ALERT! The Season Two summer finale episode, "Pegasus", airing on Friday, Sept. 23, at 10/9C, will run two minutes longer than its scheduled time. If you plan to record this episode, set your recording device to continue until five minutes after the scheduled end time of the episode.

Wow. The powers that be must really like it and/or the show in general if they're going to allow it to screw up the schedule like that. I can see a LOT of people missing the last 2 minutes though. Uh oh...
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Sep 17, 2005 at 06:25 PM. )

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 17, 2005, 06:56 PM

OMFG! Blackbird!!!11

P.S. Xena... err... Lucy Lawless rocks.
That was a pretty sweet
Nemo me impune lacesset

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2005, 06:59 PM

What did Starbuck say to Apollo after he freaked out when she disappeared in the Laura?

"Of course you something something, it's something something something!"

I couldn't tell what she was saying.

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 17, 2005, 07:01 PM

Something along the lines of "Of course you lost contact, it's a frakking stealth ship!"

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2005, 04:36 AM

what exactly did boomer connect the fiber optic too? could they make a cylon test from it?

i'm still trying to figure out why they thought they couldn't build a new fighter? if they don't have people smart enough to build new things, what are they going to do when they get to earth? eventually their supplies are going to run out.

i don't know what it is, but starbuck is kind of hot in a lesbian throw you around the room kind of way.

OreoCookie
Sep 18, 2005, 05:08 AM

I think logic is in your way, it's a TV show
To build something this complex doesn't take days, and if their fighters are anything like planes on earth, you can just put something together and then it'll fly. Especially in the vacuum of space Also, the carbon skin, wouldn't that be an obvious thing to do if you knew about it?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2005, 07:54 AM

Hmmm... No Podcast this week. Too bad, cuz I was really looking forward to comments on this episode, and more so than other episodes.

Originally Posted by OreoCookie
To build something this complex doesn't take days, and if their fighters are anything like planes on earth, you can just put something together and then it'll fly. Especially in the vacuum of space Also, the carbon skin, wouldn't that be an obvious thing to do if you knew about it?
Seriously. Furthermore, the chief isn't a designer. He's a mechanic.

Plus I find it interesting that they don't have scrap sheet metal lying around, but carbon composites are no problem to find. WTF?

Then again, I kind of likened it to the guys who build those weird motorcycle choppers. A lot of those guys are trained as welders and mechanics, and have never taken an engineering or design class. Yet they build custom motorcycles that work just fine. A motorcycle isn't a space-worthy fighter, but I think we can give them at least that much TV show leeway.

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2005, 08:54 AM

I think logic is in your way, it's a TV show
ok, point on the logic thing.
instead i'll say i think almost every character on the show is bipolar depending on what direction the show is taking at the time. i'm still addicted though. watching BSG is like dating a crazy girl, who knows what'll happen next.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2005, 12:39 PM

So wait a sec, next week is the SEASON finale?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2005, 12:49 PM

Yep. 10-episode season.
Chuck
___

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2005, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
So wait a sec, next week is the SEASON finale?
Sort of. Next week is the finale of the first half of Season 2. The second half of Season 2 doesn't start until 2006. Strange but true.

In Canada, they're airing all of Season 2 in 2006, with the second half of Season 2 more or less corresponding with air dates in US. When asked why, Space said it was because it allowed them to repeat Season 1 this fall just before Season 2, and because people like one continous season more so than a split season like SciFi.com has done.

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2005, 01:19 PM

nm.

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2005, 01:41 PM

Sort of. Next week is the finale of the first half of Season 2. The second half of Season 2 doesn't start until 2006. Strange but true.
a 3 month break? Oh god. Oh well I am glad the season isn't 10 episodes. Can't wait for it to air over here as watching it in HD is much nicer than this bit torrent crap.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

OreoCookie
Sep 18, 2005, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by iLikebeer
ok, point on the logic thing.
instead i'll say i think almost every character on the show is bipolar depending on what direction the show is taking at the time. i'm still addicted though. watching BSG is like dating a crazy girl, who knows what'll happen next.
I'm not saying, I don't enjoy the show, I really do
It's just that sometimes people expect too much You don't watch Tomb Raider because of its poetic elements or logically coherent story

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2005, 02:02 PM

I'm not saying, I don't enjoy the show, I really do
It's just that sometimes people expect too much You don't watch Tomb Raider because of its poetic elements or logically coherent story
Well, no, but Battlestar GalacticaTomb Raider. There was never a game that was all about Lara Croft being interviewed by a documentarian.
Chuck
___

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2005, 03:18 PM

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2005, 03:55 PM

Well, I think the UK doesn't get the whole of Season 2 until 2006 either, so the Americans should consider themselves lucky to get the first 10 episodes in 2005.

BTW, it turns out that Lucy Lawless was supposed to be Ellen Tigh but turned it down.

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2005, 04:27 PM

I noticed something interesting. In the original pilot the drunk second officer looks at a picture of his wife and burns a hole in it. Except the picture is not the woman who is currently playing the character.

Obviously because they hadn't cast the part yet.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

OreoCookie
Sep 18, 2005, 06:57 PM

So they only do 10 shows this season?? I wasn't sure, coz it said summer finale … 10 episodes :hmmm:

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2005, 08:39 PM

Apparently it goes on hiatus until January. Do other scifi shows like SG-1 and SG-A do this too?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2005, 08:46 PM

Plus I find it interesting that they don't have scrap sheet metal lying around, but carbon composites are no problem to find. WTF?
Not really. Carbon composites are much weaker than metal. Thats why they had to stop the President from smashing the wine bottle into the ship. It would have broken the ship wide open.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2005, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
I noticed something interesting. In the original pilot the drunk second officer looks at a picture of his wife and burns a hole in it. Except the picture is not the woman who is currently playing the character.

Obviously because they hadn't cast the part yet.
Ronald Moore talks about this in one of the Podcasts. (I assume the one for 109.) I think the original pic is the wife of one of the people associated with the show.

Originally Posted by goMac
Not really. Carbon composites are much weaker than metal. Thats why they had to stop the President from smashing the wine bottle into the ship. It would have broken the ship wide open.
Yeah I know carbon composites can be brittle. However the point was carbon composites can be much harder to work with than metal, and it may not be easy to come by either. It's a TV show of course, but I was expecting a one-line explanation as to where that much fighter-grade carbon composites came from.

So they only do 10 shows this season?? I wasn't sure, coz it said summer finale … 10 episodes :hmmm:
20 episodes in season 2. 10 episodes in the first half, before the hiatus.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2005, 09:03 PM

That comment was as unpredictable as most of the stuff on the show. Weaker than metal you say? WOW! (walks away shaking head muttering to self)

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2005, 09:40 PM

Silly me figured that they'd just harvest the scrap from the 100s of cylon raiders they just blew to hell about 5 minutes before. Then the carbon composites thing came out of nowhere...

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2005, 10:05 PM

Yeah I know carbon composites can be brittle. However the point was carbon composites can be much harder to work with than metal, and it may not be easy to come by either. It's a TV show of course, but I was expecting a one-line explanation as to where that much fighter-grade carbon composites came from.
I dunno. It's the future (kinda).

Metal has to come from a metal source. I'm sure they don't see many of those. Plus, all the current ships are metal. I'm sure the metal is in short reply for repairs.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2005, 07:22 AM

Not too shabby an episode, but I think there should have been some mention of the baby that Sharon supposedly gave birth to last week. Where is the little brat?

A 10-12 week break allows sci-fi to re-air all the epsiodes before the second half starts. This was typical of Star Trek: TNG when it was new (anybody here even REMEMBER 1994?).

I guess I can give my HD recorder a break after this weekened for BSG.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

OreoCookie
Sep 19, 2005, 08:11 AM

But still, I found it a bit surprising, it was news that a carbon skin makes it a stealth fighter. If they did know, why don't the raptors have a stealth skin? I mean, they are built for recon, among other things.

Originally Posted by JHromadka
Apparently it goes on hiatus until January. Do other scifi shows like SG-1 and SG-A do this too?
Dunno, but some other shows had up to 26 episodes (DS9 for instance) per season. Last time, BSG had 13, so stopping after 10 shows seems a bit early to me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules