Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Blu-ray/HD DVD... Who is winning?

View Poll Results: Which do you have? (Choose only ONE. Includes stand-alones and game consoles.)
Poll Options:
HD DVD 34 votes (17.09%)
Blu-ray 87 votes (43.72%)
Both 14 votes (7.04%)
Neither 70 votes (35.18%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll
Blu-ray/HD DVD... Who is winning? (Page 60)
Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2007, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
That's the game commercial (BioShock) I was talking about. Brand new game coming out for the Wii, 360 and PS2, not the PS3

and just to whack the hornets nest more: I have a coworker who own as PS3 and an XBox 360 with the HD DVD add on. I asked him which he thought was better and he said "hands down , HD DVD". His opinion, not mine. I have not had the opportunity to view either on my set so I can only judge by what I see in the stores, and I don't see a spit worth of difference.
IMO, they look the same. Or on some setups there might be an edge to the PS3, if the 360 used is a component-model, but that's probably the problem of the TV, since the 360 over component looks stellar on my Toshiba Regza. (Some TVs don't deal that well with analogue inputs, regardless of how good quality the source is. A prime example of this is my el cheapo Dell TV. Looks great over DVI, but sucks over component... but I digress.)

In any case, they both should look awesome, if they are using the same source material. eg. 300 vs. 300.

OTOH, if he's playing The Fifth Element (the original one) vs. Hot Fuzz, the PS3 will look like crap.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 31, 2007, 06:08 PM

That's the game commercial (BioShock) I was talking about. Brand new game coming out for the Wii, 360 and PS2, not the PS3
Wha? Are you saying that you think BioShock is on the Wii and PS2? Or what?

and just to whack the hornets nest more: I have a coworker who own as PS3 and an XBox 360 with the HD DVD add on. I asked him which he thought was better and he said "hands down , HD DVD". His opinion, not mine. I have not had the opportunity to view either on my set so I can only judge by what I see in the stores, and I don't see a spit worth of difference.
Anyone who can say something like that doesn't know what he's talking about. Quality wise, the technologies are pretty much identical. Of course there are individual discs (e.g. some of the very early BR releases) where the quality wasn't as good, but I think we're beyond that by now.

starman
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2007, 06:13 PM

I'd really like to know how something could look better on HD-DVD than Blu-Ray. Even a fanboi would know that technologically, the codecs are more or less the same nowadays. Compare VC1 to VC1 and tell me if he still thinks the HD-DVD version is better, because I need to call someone a fool today.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2007, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
I'd really like to know how something could look better on HD-DVD than Blu-Ray. Even a fanboi would know that technologically, the codecs are more or less the same nowadays. Compare VC1 to VC1 and tell me if he still thinks the HD-DVD version is better, because I need to call someone a fool today.
From what I understand, some of the encodes are even the same. I've read that there are ways of taking an HD DVD encode and just running it through a non-destructive converter that adds the appropriate flags or whatever for Blu-ray. So essentially the content is identical.

Now there are in fact differences on the decode side I've been told, but for most viewers they are likely subtle enough to be ignored. Perhaps if he had an initial Samsung I could understand it, since there was an actual bug with those that apparently made things look much worse than they should be. I say "apparently" because I haven't seen those players.

That said, there are differences on some cross-platform titles. Not all of them use the same encode or even the same encoding method. Presumably part of the reason for this is HD DVD authoring software leans toward VC-1 (Microsoft software), while Blu-ray authoring software leans toward MPEG2 and H.264 (Sony and Panasonic software).

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2007, 07:31 PM

The $199.99 Venturer will not be sold at Wal-mart

“We have no plans to have Venturer in our stores this holiday,” Wal-Mart merchandise spokeswoman Melissa O’Brien said. “We will continue to offer the best values on popular HD DVD and Blu-ray products from leading consumer brands like Sony, Samsung, Philips, Toshiba and RCA.”

Wal-Mart does sell some Venturer portable DVD players on its Web site.

Ultimate Electronics’ director of merchandising for video Matt Duda is considering stocking the Venturer HD DVD player, but he doesn’t expect a major swing in the format war until a better-known company, such as Toshiba or Sony, rolls out a sub-$200 player.

“I have never heard of Venturer,” admits Duda. “If the price [similarly drops] for a tier-one brand, that will be more compelling.”

Some retailers, such as Value Electronics, are already rallying around the Venturer player. Value president Robert Zohn said he is ordering 1,000 to 1,200 units, and he expects he could start selling them as early as October.

Zohn believes that $199 will be the right carrot to dangle in front of hesitant customers. When Value slashed Toshiba’s entry-level model to $199 in a promotion, the chain sold 400 units within 30 hours and had to prematurely shut the sale down.

“When it gets to a certain price point, the thing takes off like a rocket,” said Zohn, who prefers the HD DVD format over Blu-ray. “That price point moves an enormous amount of HD players.”

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2007, 07:50 PM

Seems there are some framing issues with Pirates on BD that aren't on the DVD:
Blu-ray's Pirates of the Caribbean release has framing issues - Engadget HD

I wonder if they'll do a re-encode or not.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2007, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Seems there are some framing issues with Pirates on BD that aren't on the DVD:
Blu-ray's Pirates of the Caribbean release has framing issues - Engadget HD

I wonder if they'll do a re-encode or not.
I'd be pretty po'd if I got that. Actors heads are cut off. I was looking at some of the screengrabs yesterday and it's really bad. I'm surprised more people hadn't noticed it already.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 31, 2007, 08:03 PM

Hmm. I haven't opened mine yet.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2007, 08:39 PM

Well, IIRC, it's just a few scenes. But still, it's bad. Up to you if you want to open the package. If they do remaster it, I suspect it won't be until next year or later, and there's no guarantee you'll get your money back.

I remember back when One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest came out on DVD. There were a couple of screens that had the right video information... in the wrong aspect ratio. I believe they did eventually fix it... many years later.

And I still haven't heard back from Warner about the (slight but noticeable) lip sync issues with The Matrix. That's one of their flagship movies, and they %@#ed it up. (Reloaded and Revolutions are fine.)

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2007, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Well, IIRC, it's just a few scenes. But still, it's bad. Up to you if you want to open the package. If they do remaster it, I suspect it won't be until next year or later, and there's no guarantee you'll get your money back.

I remember back when One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest came out on DVD. There were a couple of screens that had the right video information... in the wrong aspect ratio. I believe they did eventually fix it... many years later.
If there's a big enough hubbub about it, they may do a recall a la the 5th Element, but I'm not sure this issue warrants anything like that...

And I still haven't heard back from Warner about the (slight but noticeable) lip sync issues with The Matrix. That's one of their flagship movies, and they %@#ed it up. (Reloaded and Revolutions are fine.)
I didn't notice anything when I watched it. But I netflixed it and only watched it once (since I have no need for the other two movies, I'm definitely not buying the set).

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2007, 10:38 PM

I didn't notice anything when I watched it. But I netflixed it and only watched it once (since I have no need for the other two movies, I'm definitely not buying the set).
It's actually fairly mild, and many people don't notice it. However, this type of stuff drives me up the wall, and I noticed it immediately. I definitely wasn't the first though, as there were already several posts about it when I went to AVS to post about it.

It's sort of like the Xbox 360 lip sync issue that existed before the May update. A bunch of us complained about it over and over again, and others said we were nuts. Finally, after a while, a few Microsoft engineers agreed with us and promised an update. That update didn't come until many months later so it was pretty irritating, but better late than never. Now the lip sync is perfect with the vast majority of movies. Sadly, The Matrix isn't one of them. Microsoft says if there is an issue with it, it's a problem with the authoring.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2007, 11:56 AM

Super Mario
Sep 2, 2007, 12:52 PM

I can't tell how good a high def video looks from YouTube. I can see at least three people walk out of the presentation.
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 02:38 PM. )

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2007, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
I can't tell how good a high def video looks from YouTube. I can see at least three people walk out of the presentation.
They left to cancel their BD orders

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2007, 07:21 PM

Another sony proprietary technology bites the dust | Castellini on Computers Radio Show with Rick and Adam
For every Apple device that becomes a standard there is a Sony technology that becomes obsolete. Apple and Sony both got off to a great start in the early 80s. Apple introduced the Mac and Sony gave us the Walkman.

From that point on, Apple has had only a handful of market failures and Sony has had nothing but. Sony announced their latest casualty this week by discontinuing their proprietary ATRAC audio compression file format.

While the rest of the world committed to MP3 and WMA or Apple's music format for iTunes, Sony made up their own format only supported by their devices. Sony saw Apple succeeding with their own format and device and figured they could do the same.

There were only a few problems with this line of thinking. Sony's devices were clunky at best and the obscure conversion format meant that users had to use included software to convert their CDs into the ATRAC format.

Sony tried to make their devices and format more popular by releasing new players every few months for a while surprisingly that didn't work.

The ATRAC format is only the latest proprietary Sony technology to fade into obsolescence.

It all began with BetaMax and it continues with Blu-Ray and the digital book. Sony has a long history of creating their own standards and unsuccessfully trying to get the rest of the world to adopt them.

I believe it's all about the money. With each new Sony format comes licensing issues.

Companies must pay Sony to utilize their technology. Typically the Sony proprietary standard is not any better than the existing standard.

Let's take a quick look back at the long line of Sony proprietary technology...

BetaMax
Sony's standard in the video tape war. Most people agree that the standard was superior, but much more expensive. Whether the costs were due to high licensing fees by Sony or something else, VHS won the war.

MemoryStick
Sony's special memory for their digital cameras. While the MemoryStick format has been around for a while, it has gone through many generations. Does your Sony digital camera take the MemoryStick, MemoryStick DUO or MemoryStick Pro DUO? Get it right or it might not work in your camera.

ATRAC devices
Sony refused to adopt the MP3 and/or WMA standard insisting that people wouldn't mind ripping their CD collection into a format that was incompatible with all other digital audio devices.

Digital8
While the rest of the camcorder industry evolved from analog 8mm to digital MiniDV video tape, Sony gave us Digita8. If your grandkids ever want to watch those old Digital8 videos, they may have to pay a small fortune for an old Sony Handycam on eBay.

Digital Reader
For $299 you can own a device that is a little bigger than a book that will allow you to download and read books on a hard to see screen. Each book you download costs roughly the same as buying the book in the bookstore. In addition to books, you can also read magazines and other book-type files that can only be purchased through Sony's online CONNECT store. By the way, the CONNECT service has been discontinued. Why hasn't this caught on?

Blu-Ray
The HD video format that has so many advantages over HD-DVD. The only problem is that it is Sony's standard and everyone how has spent years competing with Sony is getting behind HD-DVD which is backed by Toshiba and Microsoft.

Clie
The Clie was a beautiful device. It combined a Palm, digital camera and MP3 player better than any device prior to the Treo. It was so cool that Sony had to quit making it.

Connect
Sony's online audio service - think iTunes without ease, compatability, and selection.
MiniDisc
A tiny audio disk that held as much as a CD but it was recordable and as easy to use as a cassette tape. No other company adopted it for wide release. Why? It was good, but it was cursed.

UMD
Ultra MiniDisc - the next generation of the MiniDisc. It plays both audio and video but it only works in a PlayStation Portable (PSP) video game system. It is also not recordable.

DAT
Digital Audio Tape recorders were huge for 15 minutes before DVD recorders became affordable. MiniDiscs had a greater advantage as they were not made of flemsy tape. Sony kind of killed themselves partially on this one.

AIBO
The robotic dog that sold for $2000 or more. You could program it, teach it tricks and it would do stuff that only robotic dogs could do. Buyers guilt killed off the AIBO.

Someone is sure to point out that I left out the PlayStation and the PSP. These are Sony's only successful proprietary techologies. However, their popularity is fast declining as competitors become more innovative and less expensive.
( Last edited by Chongo; Sep 2, 2007 at 07:27 PM. )

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2007, 07:40 PM

Apple III, Newton, eMate, Pippin, QuickTake, Copland, Taligent, eWorld, PowerTalk, QuickDraw GX...

One could compile a similarly long list of Apple flops. Every innovative company has them. And ATRAC is way older than Apple's ventures in the digital music market. The article is completely wrong there.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2007, 09:20 PM

Coming soon???

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 2, 2007, 09:30 PM

I don't know if a 50 gig disk is that big a deal. HD-DVD has been doing fine without the capacity. But it is one less thing for the Bluray fanboys to moan about. Of course they'll add a layer to Bluray and the Bluray fanboys will tell us how a format is just no good unless it has 100 gig capacity...
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2007, 09:41 PM

Apple III, Newton, eMate, Pippin, QuickTake, Copland, Taligent, eWorld, PowerTalk, QuickDraw GX...

One could compile a similarly long list of Apple flops. Every innovative company has them. And ATRAC is way older than Apple's ventures in the digital music market. The article is completely wrong there.
You forgot the Power Mac G4 Cube. Copland and Taligent were OS's that were never released.
Apple has been ahead of the curve since then.
iMac, iTunes, iPod, iLife, MacBook, Mac mini, Mac Pro, OS X. We'll see how the iPhone and tv does.
(I hear that Jobs is going to buy and rename iDaho )

Back to Sony and will BD be the next UMD/MiniDisc/Digital8/Beta....

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 2, 2007, 09:54 PM

Sony and Apple are two entirely different companies, and the comparisons are getting old. Sure, Apple in the 80's and 90's tried to model themselves after Sony. But look at Apple these days. Apple is a company that doesn't try to reinvent the wheel. They follow standards that the rest of the industry uses. Look at USB, H.264, DVI (cause ADC turned out so great), UNIX, ZFS, and so on. Apple doesn't try to make huge waves in the standards market, they just build the most compatible solutions.

Sony, on the other hand, refuses to work with other companies on standards for some reason. Witness ATRAC, Betamax, iLink (why the different plug and name?), and Bluray. Why create a new format when the DVD forum has designed a perfectly good one? Ok, someone could argue that Bluray has higher capacity. But then why did Sony turn down HP's request to support iHD in Bluray? God forbid Bluray support a format that was co-designed by Microsoft and Disney and that uses standards like JavaScript and CSS, at the request of their own member. Nope, whatever Sony implements, it has to be made incompatible with everyone else.

Sony is like the Apple of the 90's when it comes to standards. And we all know what happened to that Apple.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2007, 10:49 PM

Welp, it happened again. Remind me why anyone trusts this company at all????

Another Sony rootkit worms its way to the surface

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 2, 2007, 11:50 PM

The fact that they listed things like DAT and freaking AIBO as a "failed proprietary technology" from Sony makes their whole argument suspect. That, and the fact that they used the word "flemsy."

This rootkit business on the other hand is troubling.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2007, 12:05 AM

UMD
Ultra MiniDisc - the next generation of the MiniDisc. It plays both audio and video but it only works in a PlayStation Portable (PSP) video game system. It is also not recordable.
Ultra MiniDisk?
Universal Media Disc - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyway, while a lot of those were failures, some of them had a long run and were successful in their respective niches (MiniDisc, DAT).

Sony fails in many respects (BetaMax wasn't as gloriously much better than VHS as rose-tinted history glasses will have it), but give credit where credit's due.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 3, 2007, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Ultra MiniDisk?
Another good catch. Who are these jokers?

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2007, 08:38 AM

I quite liked MiniDisk actually..
we don't have time to stop for gas

richwig83
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2007, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
I quite liked MiniDisk actually..

I'll second that, portable recording at near CD quality.... cant really argue with that!!!

I still have 1 prerecorded disc (Jamiroquai Return of the space cowboy) its the only one i have ever seen!!!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2007, 10:38 AM

Minidisc was much more affordable than recordable CDs at the time. It only failed because of the price drop of CD-R.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 3, 2007, 11:15 AM

If you ask me, MD failed because most Americans at the time weren't willing to pay extra for the convenience and quality that MD offered over cassette tape. Most were content to just use a Walkman or (if you wanted to get fancy) a portable CD player. But in either case, nobody seemed to want to pay more than $50 or so. I lived in Japan in the late 90s and the attitude of consumers toward things like portable audio players was totally different. People would routinely pay $200 - $300 for an MD player or even a normal cassette walkman. I went back to the US and couldn't find a decent Walkman at any local store -- you had to get everything mail order, and even then your choices were very limited. I'm kind of surprised that the iPod took off in the US, now that I think of it, considering how expensive it was/is. Anyway, I had a number of MD players and loved them at the time but once the iPod came along, they seemed kind of pointless. They're still good for portable recording though.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2007, 01:13 PM

I disagree, because MD players were out way after portable CD players were. The CD was already big when MDs came out, and people saw no reason to switch from something that was already working.

I owned one - it got me started in location recording. And it did its job well, other than the limited capacity. Now, however, MDs are all but useless for recording. There are much higher quality flash recorders for very cheap now, and there's no reason to record in a lossy format.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2007, 01:26 PM

I disagree, because MD players were out way after portable CD players were. The CD was already big when MDs came out, and people saw no reason to switch from something that was already working.
Which brings us back on topic. Aside from the capacity advantage, would anyone want to back Sony in another attempt to veer off from a format that was working (DVD) and being taken to the next level? (HD DVD) Had Sony not wanted the whole enchilada for itself this debate would not be happening. An offer was made and turned down and here we are.

Super Mario
Sep 3, 2007, 01:50 PM

BetaMax
Sony's standard in the video tape war. Most people agree that the standard was superior, but much more expensive. Whether the costs were due to high licensing fees by Sony or something else, VHS won the war.
Became the standard broadcasting and documentary film making medium while the low quality low cost (like HD-DVD) VHS became the consumer standard. You should be hoping HD-DVD doesn't win because it is the disc version of VHS. Blu-ray is higher capacity, which allows high quality video, less compression and long playback times, and only a little more expensive. If it loses you'll have your new VHS (HD-DVD).

BetaMax is still used in broadcasting and documentary film making as BetaMax HD.

MemoryStick
Sony's special memory for their digital cameras. While the MemoryStick format has been around for a while, it has gone through many generations. Does your Sony digital camera take the MemoryStick, MemoryStick DUO or MemoryStick Pro DUO? Get it right or it might not work in your camera.
Sony has sold millions of these.

Blu-Ray
The HD video format that has so many advantages over HD-DVD.
The only advantage HD-DVD has over Blu-ray's early spec is you can connect to a website to download some gay wallpaper or play a super gay Java game like Ms Pacman Returns.

DAT
Digital Audio Tape recorders were huge for 15 minutes before DVD recorders became affordable. MiniDiscs had a greater advantage as they were not made of flemsy tape. Sony kind of killed themselves partially on this one.
LOL. DVD recorders? DAT is the standard for recording audio on many film sets, in music recording studios and field journalism.

AIBO
The robotic dog that sold for $2000 or more. You could program it, teach it tricks and it would do stuff that only robotic dogs could do. Buyers guilt killed off the AIBO.
A niche product. Now show us a list of Toshiba's successes.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 3, 2007, 01:51 PM

If by "working" you mean "was huge, had to be kept horizontal, and couldn't record" then yes, CDs worked just great for portable listening. My point is that Americans at the time didn't think the advantanges of MDs (size, shock resistance, ability to record, reorder and name tracks) were worth paying extra for. And it must be added that MDs were WAY more labor intensive than something like the iPod, because you had to actually record the music onto them (later on they integrated them with computers to some degree and also had recorders that could transfer CDs to MD faster than real time, but it was still a pain). That's also a big reason why they didn't take off. It was easier to just use your CD discman, even if it was clunky.

(And as an aside, another reason that MDs took off in Japan was that CDs were very expensive -- around $25 to $30 -- and could also be rented. So lots of people, myself included, rented CDs and recorded them onto MD instead of buying them. Hell, all of the rental places had MDs for sale right on the counter where you checked out.)

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2007, 02:29 PM

Now show us a list of Toshiba's successes.
TosLnk for one

Toshiba - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Toshiba was responsible for a number of Japanese firsts, including radar (1942), the TAC digital computer (1954), transistor television and microwave oven (1959), Japanese word processor (1978), MRI system (1982), laptop personal computer (1986), NAND EEPROM (1991), DVD (1995)

Super Mario
Sep 3, 2007, 04:00 PM

TosLnk for one

Toshiba - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Toshiba was responsible for a number of Japanese firsts, including radar (1942), the TAC digital computer (1954), transistor television and microwave oven (1959), Japanese word processor (1978), MRI system (1982), laptop personal computer (1986), NAND EEPROM (1991), DVD (1995)
Not too bright and used a snippet from an article that used next to no citation, so you need correction.

Radar - Invented in 1904 by a Jewish Englishman.

TAC Digital computer -

The transistor television - Sony TV8 is teh good

Microwave oven - invented by Percy Spencer and patented by Raytheon

Japanese word processor - Made a word processor for Japan, not invented the word processor whose invention is typically attributed to IBM

MRI systems - invented by an American chemist and British physicist

The laptop personal computer - concept first by Alan Kay, brought to the market first by Osborne Computer Corp

NAND Flash memory - Fujio Masuoka who worked at Toshiba. This is the only thing we can credit Toshiba wholly in that list.

DVD - Toshiba were not the only company responsible for the development of DVD. There were at least five other tech companies involved and it wasn't until IBM got involved that the DVD format was fully developed from the Super Density disc concept. Toshiba main input was with the modulation technique that guarded against scratches and dust (this technique was dropped in favor of another).

Nothing in that list except the last two have anything to do with Toshiba, and those two that do are no more successful as BetaMax, Memory Stick and DAT which have done very well in their field of use.

And Blu-ray is beating HD-DVD badly. So there.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2007, 04:47 PM

Radar - Invented in 1904 by a Jewish Englishman.
Radar was invented by a German:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History...ian_Huelsmeyer

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2007, 04:58 PM

The only advantage HD-DVD has over Blu-ray's early spec is you can connect to a website to download some gay wallpaper or play a super gay Java game like Ms Pacman Returns.
You mean aside from the much more powerful decoder hardware, standards compliance with things like JavaScript and CSS, and the ability to buy a player that won't be out of spec in 6 months?

Yeah, silly HD-DVD. Pushing reliable powerful technology that will still work just as well in 6 months.

Super Mario
Sep 3, 2007, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
You mean aside from the much more powerful decoder hardware
LOL Either hardware plays content or it doesn't.

standards compliance with things like JavaScript and CSS
WTF
LOLOLOLOL. Just what film fans need. Another ****ing web browser that hyperlinks to a website where you can download gay wallpapers of your fave film...

and the ability to buy a player that won't be out of spec in 6 months?
Baseless

LOL

Super Mario
Sep 3, 2007, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Radar was invented by a German:

History of radar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I knew that was his name but I swore he was Jewish and lived in England at some point because he was in Britain after 1904 showing off radar to the military and licensed it to them. His name wasn't Toshiba that's all we need to know here.

Super Mario
Sep 3, 2007, 05:23 PM

Amazon update. Cheapoo HD-DVD players with five free movies haven't helped.

Blu-ray has maintained strong sales this month while HD-DVD is sinking.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2007, 05:30 PM

LOL Either hardware plays content or it doesn't.
HD-DVD hardware is powerful enough to decode two video streams. That expensive Bluray hardware can only decode one.

WTF
LOLOLOLOL. Just what film fans need. Another ****ing web browser that hyperlinks to a website where you can download gay wallpapers of your fave film...
No, JavaScript and CSS is used for HD-DVD's menuing system. You seem fixated on the web content feature.

Baseless

LOL
Yes, consumers should pay more for less powerful Bluray hardware. That's a great plan.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2007, 05:32 PM

Amazon update. Cheapoo HD-DVD players with five free movies haven't helped.

Blu-ray has maintained strong sales this month while HD-DVD is sinking.

So for a 24 hour period Bluray has gained some sort of hard numberless lead?

Yay?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2007, 06:15 PM

BetaMax is still used in broadcasting and documentary film making as BetaMax HD.
There is no such thing. You might be confusing it with Betacam, which despite it's similar name and cassettes are a quite different format altogether.

The HD version is called HDCAM.

Do you ever do research or do you just expect no one else to do it either?

pooka
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2007, 06:21 PM

Not to beat the rootkit thing to death, but I thought this comment touched on some of my personal feelings. I truly hope that Sony is the gatekeeper to my media collection in the future.

Engadget

I'll let everyone get back to determining the sexual orientation of online HD content. I'm off to download some torrents.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2007, 06:23 PM

And as for people glorifying the BetaMax format, the real reason it failed was that it gave the end user less recording time, with little discernible quality difference to VHS. When it eventually caught up, they had to compromise on quality to achieve a longer recording time so they were identical to VHS.

So if we really want to make this "conflict" analogue to the BetaMax / VHS one, it would seem HD DVD is BetaMax and BluRay is the VHS with it's higher capacity.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 3, 2007, 06:56 PM

Super Mario -- Please stop "helping" Blu-ray.

Super Mario
Sep 3, 2007, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
There is no such thing. You might be confusing it with Betacam, which despite it's similar name and cassettes are a quite different format altogether.

Do you ever do research or do you just expect no one else to do it either?
You tell me to research yet come out with a stinkin howler like that one? Betacam is a direct derivative of BetaMax. The only difference between them is the speed at which the tape moves though the machine (1.33cm-4cm/sec versus 12cm sec). There isn't a well thinking well read person on the planet who will disagree with that unless they're playing ****ing mind games.

And big deal that I got the name for HD format for all of five minutes (HDCAM is short for HD Betacam, which is hardly an earth shattering difference from typing BetaMax HD until I had time to read what I wrote). You should have told Chongo, who is such a genius in your book that you did not bother correcting his amazing list of non-Toshiba inventions or bother mentioning Sony successes such as the Walkman, home video recording, the CD, etc, that HDCAM became yet another de facto standard and that Sony's professional, prosumer and consumer cameras were a qualified success in all fields.

Super Mario
Sep 3, 2007, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
Super Mario -- Please stop "helping" Blu-ray.
This moderator has been reported for being biased and trying to cause conflict on the forum.

Super Mario
Sep 3, 2007, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
So for a 24 hour period Bluray has gained some sort of hard numberless lead?
Super fast dual stream web browser dude, that's more than 24 hours, it's the whole of September so far (not to mention Blu-ray's lead the rest of the year so far).

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2007, 10:50 PM

Super fast dual stream web browser dude, that's more than 24 hours, it's the whole of September so far (not to mention Blu-ray's lead the rest of the year so far).
All of September?!?! Oh no!

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2007, 11:53 PM

heise online - IFA special - Analysten: 40 Prozent Marktanteil für HD DVD im Jahr 2011

Analysts expect that by 2011 the market share of HD DVD will be 40%. So it looks like BluRay is winning after all.

Forum Links
Forum Rules