Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 61)
icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 17, 2006, 10:31 PM

If that does happen, I imagine it would be similar to what happened with Grand Theft Auto. It was a PS2 exclusive for a while and then the Xbox got it. Having them release it simultaneously for both systems seems unlikely.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2006, 11:00 PM

MGS4 was pretty much the one game on the PS3 that I thought "hm, it'd be cool to be able to play that" about. Looks like my 360 purchase will solve those feelings after all

"I start fires!"

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 18, 2006, 11:11 AM

Wii costs < US$160 to make:

In other words, this breakdown claims Nintendo could make a profit of up to $40 per Wii sold.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2006, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
In other words, this breakdown claims Nintendo could make a profit of up to $40 per Wii sold.
Shame they didn't make $30 and include a DVD or CD player

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2006, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
Shame they didn't make $30 and include a DVD or CD player
Personally, i would have preferred, no photo channel, weather channel or news channel so they could have used those resources to make the WiiConnect24 thing better. (online demos, trailers, etc).

All those non-gaming features are fluff i would rather live without than pay for.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2006, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Personally, i would have preferred, no photo channel, weather channel or news channel so they could have used those resources to make the WiiConnect24 thing better. (online demos, trailers, etc).
Same here, the online component is pretty bad and confusing.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2006, 01:06 PM

I went looking for another DS Lite and a Wii yesterday. No luck on either.
I did walk out of Target with a 60gb PS3 though. It is sitting on the floor of my living room with the receipt on it and it's still unopened.

I can not figure out if I want to keep it or not.
I could not see any games for it that I wanted to play (that I didn't have on my 360)

I think I'm going to return it to Target tonight. Use the credit for a DS (when they finally get one) a Wii and maybe the 360 HD-DVD.

Which HD-DVD movies do people suggest?

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2006, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
I went looking for another DS Lite and a Wii yesterday. No luck on either.
I did walk out of Target with a 60gb PS3 though. It is sitting on the floor of my living room with the receipt on it and it's still unopened.

I can not figure out if I want to keep it or not.
I could not see any games for it that I wanted to play (that I didn't have on my 360)

I think I'm going to return it to Target tonight. Use the credit for a DS (when they finally get one) a Wii and maybe the 360 HD-DVD.

Sell it on eBay?

"I start fires!"

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 18, 2006, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by MaxPower2k3 View Post
Sell it on eBay?
Good lord no. People are actually starting to lose money on PS3 auctions, after fees and whatnot. There were just too many people hoping to strike it rich and they flooded the market.

If you don't want to play Resistance (which is the only good PS3 game that doesn't exist on the Xbox 360) and you don't feel like waiting for the inevitable PS3-exclusive titles to arrive, then by all means either take it back or offer it to someone else at cost.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2006, 01:32 PM

Huh, figured people were still paying a premium for them. Oh well. In that case, I hope amazon doesn't offer me one tomorrow. I just bought a 360, don't want to be stuck spending $600 on another console tomorrow

"I start fires!"

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 18, 2006, 01:38 PM

Speaking of PS3s on eBay, this thread at Cheapassgamer.com is just amazing (it requires free registration to view). eBay required that people have pictures of the PS3 "in hand" to help prevent fraud, and many people have taken that to mean that they literally have to be holding it in the picture. In the thread, people have compiled hundreds of pictures of these people. It's amazing how many non-gamers bought the system hoping to make lots of money, and it's also very eye-opening how these people are trying to distinguish themselves from the thousands of other PS3 auctions (generally by using semi-naked women, sob stories about why they need the money, or pictures of their little kids next to the system). There are also LOTS of people with multiple systems (as many as 10 or 12) which is another reason (aside from Sony's inability to produce them in reasonable quantities) that the PS3 is so hard to find.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 18, 2006, 02:00 PM

HD DVDs rated by image quality*

*Some of the movies suck despite having gorgeous image quality. Other movies may have mediocre image quality, but are still great movies.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2006, 02:04 PM

Wii costs < US$160 to make:

What's that say about the PS3?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 18, 2006, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar� View Post
What's that say about the PS3?
That it's losing hundreds per unit.

N.B. I don't necessarily accept the actual $ values, but I do believe that Nintendo is likely making a profit on the Wii, and that Sony is losing 3-digit $ on the PS3.

Not that any of us thought any different though with regards to the PS3...

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 18, 2006, 02:09 PM

Honestly if you don't have an HDTV there is no point in getting the 360 as it will look the same more or less on an SD TV.
I never understood this stance, shouldn't games that are fun to play be fun still on a 13" TV?

If the games are so boring that only a 1080i TV can make them playable then I don't want any next gen systems.

After Xmas I will be buying a 360 and enjoying the hell out of it on my 27" Component TV. Halo 3 will kick ass no matter what resolution I play it at.

HDTV buyers are not in the same bracket as most gamers, we could care less if we miss every single pixel as long as the game play is great.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 18, 2006, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I never understood this stance, shouldn't games that are fun to play be fun still on a 13" TV?

If the games are so boring that only a 1080i TV can make them playable then I don't want any next gen systems.

After Xmas I will be buying a 360 and enjoying the hell out of it on my 27" Component TV. Halo 3 will kick ass no matter what resolution I play it at.

HDTV buyers are not in the same bracket as most gamers, we could care less if we miss every single pixel as long as the game play is great.
No. Some good HD games would be impossible to play on a small TV. I couldn't imagine aiming through my small gun sight on a TV that small.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2006, 02:11 PM

I watched a bunch of PS3 auctions end yesterday and it just doesn't seem worth putting it on there since it's flooded with them.

I decided that I'm going to return it when I get home. I can't find a Wii or DS anywhere. I'll buy the HD-DVD player and watch some movies.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2006, 02:13 PM

I think there's such a thing as too freakin' small. (Big too, obviously)

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 18, 2006, 02:17 PM

I agree 13" would be way to small, but saying that I shouldn't even buy a 360 just because I have a SD 27" TV is just silly.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 18, 2006, 02:20 PM

No. Some good HD games would be impossible to play on a small TV. I couldn't imagine aiming through my small gun sight on a TV that small.
Also, some 360 games have text that's too small to read on SDTVs. It's not pointless to get a 360 with a normal TV, but you do get a hell of a lot more out of it with HDTV. It's an amazing difference.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 18, 2006, 02:25 PM

I know it will look 'better' but spending 2 Gs for crisper text doesn't interest me in the least bit.

As I said before, Halo 3 will kick total ass on any TV over 20"

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 18, 2006, 02:26 PM

I don't think you fully appreciate how different games are in HD.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 18, 2006, 02:31 PM

I have no choice since I support myself financially and I'm only 23.

The 360 is only going to be sitting in my living room because my broken arm is decimating my bank account anyways, so I decided to treat myself.

I am simply just trying to dispel this ridiculous notion that you *need* an HDTV to play the next gen systems. I think it was already pointed out in this thread that HDTV sales have been far lower than predicted, so I guess quite a bit of gamers agree with me.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2006, 02:39 PM

I agree that, no, you do not *need* a hdtv to play next-gen games, but the difference it makes really is ashtonishing.

I took my 360 to my friend's house and we played gears of war on his regular 21" TV. It wasn't ugly, but it was far less impressive than it is on my 55" hdtv; which is to be expected.

I wouldn't stop playing video games if I didn't have my TV anymore. Of course not.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 18, 2006, 02:43 PM

Does the 360 support Component-in? Since my 27" TV does have the ability for that, and it definitely makes a difference on my orig. Xbox.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2006, 02:44 PM

What I mean is if you have an Xbox 1 and 360 BOTH hooked up to a standard TV it is hard to see what makes the 360 next gen as the amazing visuals are mostly lost.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 18, 2006, 03:03 PM

Understood DH, but I doubt it will keep the majority of gamers from buying a next gen regardless of HDTV ownership.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2006, 03:08 PM

Understood DH, but I doubt it will keep the majority of gamers from buying a next gen regardless of HDTV ownership.
Well that and eventually new titles will stop coming from old consoles.

Gamers hands are tied.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 18, 2006, 03:43 PM

Tell that to the bazillion people stiill buying the PS2.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2006, 03:46 PM

Tell that to the bazillion people stiill buying the PS2.
That is because Sony still supports old systems for years. Heck the PS1 was still a hot seller a few years ago. Even then the PS3 pretty much plays ALL PS1 and PS2 games.

Both Nintendo and Microsoft ditched last gen the day the new models shipped. Xbox 360's backwards compatibility stinks also.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 18, 2006, 04:05 PM

Nintendo's backwards compatibility is fantastic, from what I can tell.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 18, 2006, 04:11 PM

That is because Sony still supports old systems for years.
Did I say otherwise? I was just responding to his post claiming that most gamers would buy a PS3 now.

Heck the PS1 was still a hot seller a few years ago. Even then the PS3 pretty much plays ALL PS1 and PS2 games.

Both Nintendo and Microsoft ditched last gen the day the new models shipped. Xbox 360's backwards compatibility stinks also.
If I wanted to buy PS2 games, I'd buy a PS2. The support for PS2 games on the PS3 is pretty ugly too, judging by the reviews.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 18, 2006, 04:12 PM

I have no choice since I support myself financially and I'm only 23.
All I'm saying is that you're mischaracterizing the difference if you say that HDTV is nothing more than "spending 2 Gs for crisper text."

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 18, 2006, 10:52 PM

Konami has denied that they are planning to bring Metal Gear Solid 4 to the Xbox 360.

"Konami has no plans to bring Metal Gear Solid 4 to the Xbox 360 at this time," a Konami representative told CVG, reiterating that the Hideo Kojima stealth-em-up was still "exclusive to PlayStation 3."
News: Konami: "MGS4 is exclusive to PlayStation 3" - ComputerAndVideoGames.com

Of course, that doesn't rule it out in the future.
( Last edited by icruise; Dec 18, 2006 at 10:58 PM. )

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2006, 11:19 PM

I returned the PS3 tonight and bought a PS2 with God of War, Guitar Heros 2, 2 wireless guitars, the Xbox 360 HDDVD drive and some HDDVD movies

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2006, 11:33 PM

Wow, look at all you can get for a PS3

jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2006, 11:51 PM

I returned the PS3 tonight and bought a PS2 with God of War, Guitar Heros 2, 2 wireless guitars, the Xbox 360 HDDVD drive and some HDDVD movies
Good trade!

All glory to the hypnotoad.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 19, 2006, 03:41 AM

I bought a 360 and Gears of War today.

Goodbye 500 dollars, hello sweet-ass system!

I might add GOW looks amazing, even on my SD TV.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2006, 10:01 AM

I bought a 360 and Gears of War today.

Goodbye 500 dollars, hello sweet-ass system!

I might add GOW looks amazing, even on my SD TV.
I agree. I picked up one of those $100 360s at Amazon and I went out and got the hard drive and Gears of War this weekend. I haven't played a console shooter in a long time, so I'm still getting adjusted to the controls, but so far it's a really cool game. I'm still waiting for my HDTV to ship, so I'm playing it on an SDTV right now as well - and it looks great!

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2006, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
I picked up one of those $100 360s at Amazon
You lucky bastard. I wish I had been online that day.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2006, 10:13 AM

Did I say otherwise? I was just responding to his post claiming that most gamers would buy a PS3 now.
Wow what is with the attitude? I was just explaining WHY.

If I wanted to buy PS2 games, I'd buy a PS2. The support for PS2 games on the PS3 is pretty ugly too, judging by the reviews.
It doesn't seem widespread and I don't see the issue. Anyway, not everyone thinks "If I want a PS2 game I'd but a PS2". In fact I am going to grab some greatest hits PS2 games to play on the PS3 since they are only $20.

My point was that people are comfortable buying PS2 games today even if they are going to get a PS3 eventually as they know it will work.

I wanted Guitar Hero for PS2 MONTHS ago but I held off because I wasn't sure it would work on the PS3.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Dec 19, 2006, 10:21 AM

It doesn't seem widespread and I don't see the issue.
Neither did a few retards posting Flickr photos of cracked TVs because of supposed snapping Wii remote straps, but ... you see where I'm going here.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 19, 2006, 10:22 AM

Fad can you pray for a million bucks, because God seems to like you.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Dec 19, 2006, 10:25 AM

Already tried.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 19, 2006, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
You lucky bastard. I wish I had been online that day.
Well, I was online that day (and the next week) and both times I refreshed at what I had calculated to be the optimal moment and still by the time the page appeared the items were sold out. I'm glad Amazon changed the way the promotion worked, but that was just annoying.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2006, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
I'm glad Amazon changed the way the promotion worked, but that was just annoying.
How'd they do that?

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2006, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar� View Post
How'd they do that?
Now it's basically a raffle. Out of everybody who votes for the winning deal that week, they randomly assign the winning codes. They email it to you, and you just have to go on the site and use it to buy the product before the end of the day.

"I start fires!"

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2006, 11:27 AM

I like it. I wish I had known.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2006, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by MindFad View Post
Neither did a few retards posting Flickr photos of cracked TVs because of supposed snapping Wii remote straps,
Not really as I have never harped about breaking straps other than mentioning a recall.

Interesting though that Nintendo took those few FLICKR retards serious enough to recall 3.2 million straps though eh.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Dec 19, 2006, 12:10 PM

But there is no recall.

Those retards did spark a replacement program, though, increasing strap thickness by 40-50% apparently!

Forum Links
Forum Rules