Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > OW5.0 final is out

OW5.0 final is out (Page 7)
staph
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2004, 03:20 AM

Originally posted by typ993:
Here's a cool new feature (at least I think it's new; I hadn't noticed it in 5.0):

When browsing some forums, hovering the cursor over the link displays the first part of the text of the first post.

Example:

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...?s=&forumid=58

I'm not sure if this is a site-specific thing where the forum software offers the ability to dump the post text into the alt tag, though.

Still, cool!
It's displaying the title attribute for the table cell � the forum software creates the tooltip, OmniWeb only displays it.

Nice forum feature though. I think.
I would like you on a long black
leash,
You can bring me all the things I
need.

squilla
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2004, 02:38 AM

F_Elz
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2004, 03:52 AM

Fast

Le Flaneur
Senior User
Oct 13, 2004, 09:18 AM

I think that there still are important memory leaks. I was closing tabs, and memory usage was RISING. Anyone else?

drainyoo
Senior User
Oct 13, 2004, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by Le Flaneur:
I think that there still are important memory leaks. I was closing tabs, and memory usage was RISING. Anyone else?
They kind of fixed the memory leak. It still takes up a lot of memory but not as much as it use it.

They have also included a debugging option for those who see inexplicable high CPU usage. If you are getting high CPU usage please do this so we can get it fixed. See the release notes for more information about this.

http://www.omnigroup.com/application.../releasenotes/
i hate project managers.

drainyoo
Senior User
Oct 13, 2004, 11:03 AM

Man the CPU usage is even worse now. It doesnt spike at all. It just consistently hovers around 90%. Looks like its back to 5.0.1
i hate project managers.

cgc
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2004, 11:40 AM

Originally posted by Boondoggle:
I LOVE most of the features in Omniweb. I don't like the look. The Favorites Bar is BUTT-UGLY compared to the Safari implementation, and the buttons are too 90's for me.

I also feel the bookmarks could be laid out a bit better. I had some trouble figuring out how to get my imported Safari books to display in the Bookmark Menu. Personal Bookmarks appears to mean bookmark menu. I think.

There are a few things that I don't understand. Since OW uses webCore, I expected pages to display exactly like Safari, but they don't. I also expected logging in to USBank online banking to fail like Safari, but it works in OW.

bd
If you get CandyBar 2, Safaricon, and Pic2Icon you can make Omniweb beautiful. Open Candybar and drop the Omniweb program into the App Extras dropbox. Candybar will examine Omniweb for icons. Then, I start Pic2Icon and go to Home-->library-->application support-->safaricon-->themes and drop whatever folder of icons I like (panorama metal is my fave) onto Pic2Icon. Pic2Icon will take the contents of each file and change the icon to match the contents. Then you can enter that folder and drag and drop any icons you like from the folder to the Candybar dropboxes.

I have Omniweb looking like panorama metal, and had it looking like BBX, or Safari. Just prefer free-standing icons (not those icons that need to touch another). It works with mail.app, or any other packaged program.

cpac
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2004, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by cgc:
If you get CandyBar 2, Safaricon, and Pic2Icon you can make Omniweb beautiful. Open Candybar and drop the Omniweb program into the App Extras dropbox. Candybar will examine Omniweb for icons. Then, I start Pic2Icon and go to Home-->library-->application support-->safaricon-->themes and drop whatever folder of icons I like (panorama metal is my fave) onto Pic2Icon. Pic2Icon will take the contents of each file and change the icon to match the contents. Then you can enter that folder and drag and drop any icons you like from the folder to the Candybar dropboxes.

I have Omniweb looking like panorama metal, and had it looking like BBX, or Safari. Just prefer free-standing icons (not those icons that need to touch another). It works with mail.app, or any other packaged program.
or you could just wait for the promised OW themeing extra which will undoubtedly make this lots easier.
cpac

Truepop
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2004, 12:45 PM

Originally posted by cpac:
or you could just wait for the promised OW themeing extra which will undoubtedly make this lots easier.
is that slated for the next major or point release?

JKT
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2004, 01:44 PM

Originally posted by drainyoo:
Man the CPU usage is even worse now. It doesnt spike at all. It just consistently hovers around 90%. Looks like its back to 5.0.1
Have you tried deleting the ~/Library/Caches/com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5 folder yet? It is always best to do this if you are experiencing any issues and also before running any new beta release.

cpac
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2004, 02:23 PM

Originally posted by Truepop:
is that slated for the next major or point release?
It's actually supposed to be a separate application that can change themes for OW. Sombody from OG said (somewhere in this thread, actually) that it would probably be released inbetween 5.0 and 5.1 (and it still could be).

So OmniPeople, any word on when/how/if this is coming along?
cpac

Cincojoe
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2004, 02:48 PM

I still can't beleive they are charging money for such a buggy POS browser. AMAZING
Power Mac 2.0 with 4GB RAM

drainyoo
Senior User
Oct 13, 2004, 02:54 PM

Originally posted by JKT:
Have you tried deleting the ~/Library/Caches/com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5 folder yet? It is always best to do this if you are experiencing any issues and also before running any new beta release.
I havent tried it. Ill let ya know if that works. Thanks.
i hate project managers.

cpac
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2004, 02:54 PM

Originally posted by Cincojoe:
I still can't beleive they are charging money for such a buggy POS browser. AMAZING
I still can't believe somebody feels compelled to write out this sort of post.
cpac

drainyoo
Senior User
Oct 13, 2004, 02:56 PM

First thing OW is in now way a POS browser. Even with its bugs it still surpasses many of current browsers for OSX.

Second, you think the next version of Safari is free? The only way to get Safari RSS, which is the closest thing to OW when it comes to features, is to spend over $100 for Mac OSX.

So before making yourself look stupid, next time know what you are talking about.
i hate project managers.

Cincojoe
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2004, 02:57 PM

Well I did so deal with it.

If people wanmt to PAY for a browser that does not work, then by all means go for it. There are plenty of good FREE browsers that work just fine.
Power Mac 2.0 with 4GB RAM

drainyoo
Senior User
Oct 13, 2004, 03:00 PM

If people wanmt to PAY for a browser that does not work, then by all means go for it. There are plenty of good FREE browsers that work just fine.
Um it works just fine. Most of the issues people are having is with the Betas.
i hate project managers.

drainyoo
Senior User
Oct 13, 2004, 03:03 PM

Didnt work man. CPU shot right up to 90% and just stayed there.

For those with a 17inch PB, you know that sizzling sound you get from the graphics card at times? Well with the new Betas, that sound is really loud and always there. Is anyone getting the same thing?
i hate project managers.

cpac
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2004, 03:05 PM

If it really didn't work, or didn't have anything to offer over other browsers, nobody would pay for it. However, there are many, myself included, who find not only that it works, but that it's absolutely worth the price of a license.

PS - the problems posted about on this page are regarding a beta version of the software. It's beta - that means they *know* it has problems. Final releases are far better.

PSS - you're free to not buy and OmniWeb license and to despise those of us that have, but browser debates have been going on for years, and they boil down to personal preference -- you're not going to change anybody's mind with posts like yours.
cpac

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2004, 05:29 PM

just ignore the troll...

FYI for folks upgrading the 5.1 beta

OmniWeb Mailing List:
Clytie Siddall
> I've only just bought OmniWeb 5.0, yet when OW alerted me that the 5.1
> b2 was available (I already had b1) it said this would be a paid
> upgrade, that I would need a new licence.
Ken Case
Sorry about that! The "paid upgrade" alert was caused by a bug in 5.1
beta 1; if you check for updates from 5.0.1 it won't say anything about
paying for the upgrade. (This bug was fixed in beta 2, so you
shouldn't encounter this alert when the next release is available.)
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2004, 05:47 PM

OW 5 beta 2. Have 6 tabs open. Various forums on MacNN in fact. All are done rendering. The brower is just "idling" and the CPU is consistently in the 80+% range. It simply shouldn't be sucking up that much CPU to just sit there. I can see it doing that when it's rendering ... but definitely not when it's just idling.

Having said that, it's still a beta and I have no doubt that Omni will take care of this before the final 5.1 version is released.

OAW

cpac
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2004, 06:00 PM

Originally posted by OAW:
OW 5 beta 2. Have 6 tabs open. Various forums on MacNN in fact. All are done rendering. The brower is just "idling" and the CPU is consistently in the 80+% range. It simply shouldn't be sucking up that much CPU to just sit there. I can see it doing that when it's rendering ... but definitely not when it's just idling.
any chance it's the little smilies doing this? (does the CPU usage go down if you select the option to limit/turn off the animation of .gifs?)
cpac

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2004, 06:04 PM

any chance it's the little smilies doing this? (does the CPU usage go down if you select the option to limit/turn off the animation of .gifs?)
I don't think so. It does the same thing on other web pages. I monitored CPU usage while it was rendering various pages and while it was just "idling" and there's no appreciable difference. It's like it doesn't let go of the CPU after the heavy lifting is done.

Moreover, the "menu" navigation on MSNBC.com no longer works. It worked fine in beta 1 and it's currently working in Safari so I know it's not the website itself.

OAW

drainyoo
Senior User
Oct 13, 2004, 08:11 PM

Originally posted by OAW:

Having said that, it's still a beta and I have no doubt that Omni will take care of this before the final 5.1 version is released.

OAW
Dude send OG an error report.

They have included a debugging option for those who see inexplicable high CPU usage. If you are getting high CPU usage please do this so we can get it fixed. See the release notes for more information about this.

http://www.omnigroup.com/application.../releasenotes/
i hate project managers.

cgc
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2004, 08:30 PM

I remember a similar problem when I used to write programs on the Amiga computer. People wouldn't use the kernal command to wait for input, instead they looped infinitely waiting on input. Totally different method, and it resulted in 80-100% CPU usage. Hmmm...

I have OW 5.1 beta 1 version 563.15 and it uses 0% of CPU when done rendering pages. Maybe it uses so much CPU due to the advertising? I have no advertising...

gregomni
Forum Regular
Oct 13, 2004, 11:02 PM

As far as we can tell from people's samples the problem looks like a scheduling issue of some sort. We have a thread that is supposed to be sleeping but it wakes up / sleeps / wakes up / sleeps a thousand times a second for no useful purpose.

It doesn't look like it should be possible for this to happen with the code we are using unless there is some sort of bug with the call we are using to sleep the thread, but it's hard to know for sure because we haven't been able to reproduce the problem internally yet.

But rest assured, OmniWeb should _not_ be taking any CPU after pages are rendered. If you see this (and there aren't any animations on the page(s)), please send us a sample report.

Le Flaneur
Senior User
Oct 13, 2004, 11:04 PM

I'm not seeing the CPU usage problem, but what I am seeing is a drastic decrease in stability in b2. I've crashed 3 times this day alone. And thanks to the other bug, namely that OW will lose all of its tabs even when you have a workspace set to auto-save (this seems to be triggered by anything terminating the program besides command-Q), I just lost my multiple open tabs!

workerbee
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2004, 02:10 AM

For those with a 17inch PB, you know that sizzling sound you get from the graphics card at times? Well with the new Betas, that sound is really loud and always there. Is anyone getting the same thing?
1.33 17" PB here -- and nothing of the sort you describe. The only apps I can hear are *%!&@# Macromedia apps. CPU usage with OW 5.1b2 is somewhere between 9% (while writing this into the forum form) to somewhere around 0% (iPulse is not that precise... but nice ) while not doing anything, with 2 windows and 4 to 6 tabs open.
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

F_Elz
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 14, 2004, 02:15 AM

OMG this browser (AeroBrowser) is copying the OW tabs!

from here:
http://board.iexbeta.com/index.php?showtopic=46220

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2004, 02:35 AM

Originally posted by F_Elz:
OMG this browser (AeroBrowser) is copying the OW tabs!

from here:
http://board.iexbeta.com/index.php?showtopic=46220
I'm not sure if you were trying to be funny (forgive me if you were), but Omni wasn't the first to do tabs like this, IIRC. The thing is, they're the one's who've done it best. And if by best, I mean "so unbelievably well I still find things about them that amaze me," then yes.
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

F_Elz
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 14, 2004, 02:47 AM

Really? Well yes I agree OW tabs are the best.

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2004, 02:54 AM

I can't remember what it was called, but I seem to remember seeing one for Windows that came out just before OW. Definitely not as good, but it had the concept there.
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

yskar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2004, 08:35 AM

Originally posted by TimmyDee51:
I can't remember what it was called, but I seem to remember seeing one for Windows that came out just before OW. Definitely not as good, but it had the concept there.
iRider?

drainyoo
Senior User
Oct 14, 2004, 10:24 AM

Originally posted by workerbee:
1.33 17" PB here -- and nothing of the sort you describe. The only apps I can hear are *%!&@# Macromedia apps. CPU usage with OW 5.1b2 is somewhere between 9% (while writing this into the forum form) to somewhere around 0% (iPulse is not that precise... but nice ) while not doing anything, with 2 windows and 4 to 6 tabs open.
I don't know why Im getting this. I deleted the cache file, cleaned everything out and Im getting crazy CPU usage with the betas. Oh well.
i hate project managers.

cpac
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2004, 10:38 AM

I don't know why Im getting this. I deleted the cache file, cleaned everything out and Im getting crazy CPU usage with the betas. Oh well.
read greg's post above - it explains what they think is going on, and how you can help fix it.
cpac

drainyoo
Senior User
Oct 14, 2004, 02:35 PM

read greg's post above - it explains what they think is going on, and how you can help fix it.
Yeah I read it and Ive been sending in reports. Hope they can figure it out.
i hate project managers.

squilla
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2004, 05:22 AM

5.1 beta 3 is up.

They say they've fixed the CPU usage problem.

Macanoid
Senior User
Oct 21, 2004, 05:28 AM

running smooth here - lovely as always.

RedHerring
Forum Regular
Oct 21, 2004, 07:32 AM

Originally posted by squilla:
5.1 beta 3 is up.

They say they've fixed the CPU usage problem.
It does look like the CPU issue is fixed. But should it still be using 115 MB of memory? I opened 9 websites in tabs and the memory usage goes WAY up to 115 MB and then stays there. Is that normal?

yskar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2004, 08:30 AM

Got faster. No problem so far.

pliny
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2004, 09:07 AM

Originally posted by RedHerring:
It does look like the CPU issue is fixed. But should it still be using 115 MB of memory? I opened 9 websites in tabs and the memory usage goes WAY up to 115 MB and then stays there. Is that normal?
My guess is that with more tabs it'll use more memory, are your tabs graphical or just names? OW 5'll prolly use more memory than other browsers because it does more stuff, hm let's see, mine is using 98.2 rsize and I have three name tabs open in the drawer. CPU varies from 9-33%.

edit: scrolling on b3 seems to be very very delicious.
i look in your general direction

CatOne
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2004, 11:51 AM

9 websites in tabs? Yeah, 115 MB sounds about normal for that, actually. Try the same in Safari and see what you get

Truepop
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2004, 12:13 PM

It's actually supposed to be a separate application that can change themes for OW. Sombody from OG said (somewhere in this thread, actually) that it would probably be released inbetween 5.0 and 5.1 (and it still could be).

So OmniPeople, any word on when/how/if this is coming along?
CandyBar 2 can do something like this now.

Edit: ah it has been said.

JKT
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2004, 12:37 PM

It will depend greatly on what your tabs contain. Anything image heavy will suck up RAM. From what I can tell the issue with OmniWeb is that it doesn't appear to release the RAM when you close a tab or tabs. There are pros and cons to this - the pro is that accessing that site again should be faster, the con is that OW will end up using a heck of a lot of RAM if you never quit it. I don't know if this is intentional or if it is a bug.

FWIW, Safari will eventually end up using a lot of RAM as well... the major difference for me is that I simply don't surf in the same way when I use Safari because I simply can't do so very easily. With Workspaces etc in OmniWeb it is typical for me to have opened literally hundreds of tabs per day. In Safari, I'll barely open even tens and this is partly the reason why OW seems so much more RAM hungry...

workerbee
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2004, 01:46 PM

Anything image heavy will suck up RAM.
Even better: try QuickTime content if you want to see your RAM melt like butter in a Palm Springs summer.
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

nickm
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 21, 2004, 05:49 PM

[B]It's actually supposed to be a separate application that can change themes for OW.
I'm not sure about a separate application, but there is a set of alternate icons available on the Omniweb Extras page.

cpac
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2004, 06:41 PM

Originally posted by nickm:
I'm not sure about a separate application, but there is a set of alternate icons available on the Omniweb Extras page.
Yep - but those are basically all the alternatives that were kicked around for OW 4.1's release. They're great - but they're just application icons.

OmniGroup promised a full OW theme changer type thing that would change icons for all the toolbar buttons. They also solicited outside contributions for this project - I'm just curious where it all stands at this point...
cpac

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 21, 2004, 07:45 PM

OmniGroup promised a full OW theme changer type thing that would change icons for all the toolbar buttons. They also solicited outside contributions for this project - I'm just curious where it all stands at this point...
Me too... wonder if there's something holding up the release or if they're just busy with other stuff.

~BS

Gavriel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2004, 03:12 PM

Consider this a bug-report of a small, harmless, graphical glitch in OmniWeb that has been bugging me to no end.

In the tab-drawer, when a tab is loading or finished loading, this is indicated by a spinning wheel and a green circle respectively. When the tabs are in their natural state, ie the minipage, these loading/finished loading indicators sit in the top right corner, a handful pixels out from the top and right sides. When however, the tab is in its title-only state, the spinning/green indicators find themselves un-elegantly closer to the bottom of the tab rather than to the top. A small thing, you might think, but still I took the time to point it out. That's how great I am!

Here is an image to clarify:

OMG!! Gr8est illustration EVAR!!!1
( Last edited by Gavriel; Oct 22, 2004 at 03:17 PM. )

nebben123
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2004, 07:19 PM

I have run into a bug in OW that has been there at least since 5.0 betas.

So far, I can't figure out a way to repeat it for sure, but it happens a lot.

After visiting several sites so that my History menu is populated with at least the 15 most recent sites visited, and I select to go back to one of those sites through the History menu, OW frequently does not load the site that I selected and loads the site either above or below in the list. At first, I thought I was just not selecting the one I wanted (user error). However, I started to really pay attention to it and OW is actually sending me to the wrong site. It seems like it only does this the first time. Subsequent attempts actually send me to the correct site.

For instance, let's say I have a History like this:

CNN.com
Macnn.com
Slashdot.org
Dailykos.com
Macrumors.com
Friendster.com
... etc.

If I select to jump back to Macrumors.com, it will actually load up Friendster.com!

Then when I notice the error, and open up the History menu again, and select Macrumors.com it goes to the right place.

I think it *may* only occur on the first access of the History list (since launch) and only if you have been to a large number of sites before accessing the History list.

Has anyone else noticed this? I'm reluctant to send it in as a bug until I can verify it with other users and possibly narrow down the circumstances under which it occurs.

Ben

Forum Links
Forum Rules