Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > The Official US election thread.

The Official US election thread. (Page 9)
Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2004, 04:39 AM

This just in 99% of all Ohio precincts counted. Bush has a 144,000 vote lead. We aren't talking 500 votes. We are talking 144,000. The state of Ohio has spoken.

Accept it. In fact the whole country has spoken. F O U R M O R E Y E A R S.

badidea
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2004, 04:40 AM

"It's the end of the world as we know it"
this R.E.M. song is in my head since I woke up this morning!

I am sorry that we couldn't help you guys and may god be with you for the next 4 years!

(if anyone wants to do the same thing as Larry Flint is now doing, you will be welcome friends!)

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 04:41 AM

Originally posted by sideus:
CNN needs to give up.
Nah, they've got a crack staff of hacks with yellow legal pads trying desperately to produce a Kerry win. Now they're going back to the (already highly suspect) exit polls!

The level of denial is truly amazing!

sideus
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2004, 04:43 AM

BUSH BREAKS ALL-TIME POPULAR VOTE TOTAL, SURPASSING REAGAN...

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2004, 04:43 AM

Originally posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE:
Nah, they've got a crack staff of hacks with yellow legal pads trying desperately to produce a Kerry win. Now they're going back to the (already highly suspect) exit polls!

The level of denial is truly amazing!
hehehehehe,

I suppose they might be able to fold those yellow legal sheets and make them look like ballots.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2004, 04:44 AM

What? Are you sure? Reagan won with a landslide.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 04:46 AM

Originally posted by badidea:
(if anyone wants to do the same thing as Larry Flint is now doing, you will be welcome friends!)
What, sitting in a wheelchair wishing they even had the ability to jerk off?

Damn. I think partisan Dems who made this election too personal for themselves have to be feeling bad enough right now, without you wishing that horrible fate on them too.

y0y0
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2004, 04:47 AM

Originally posted by Spliffdaddy:
How in the hell can fully half of the population disagree with one another?

If I was Dubya, I think I'd be concerned about the fact that half of the population thinks I'm an idiot - and the other half merely thought that Kerry was more of an idiot than I was. Then again, if I was Dubya, I should probably be more concerned with the sexual feelings I had toward my daughter, Jenna.

nitey nite, ya'll.
I'm partial to Barbara myself, but yours is probably the most insightful post of the whole evening. Sorry about all the South bashing earlier on. I was, err, sort of pissed off because I had a gut feeling Kerry was going to lose and didn't want to admit it. I agree that Bush should realize that the country is quite heavily polarized and try to make some "uniting" kind of initiatives in the near future....

such as offering Barbara up for pay-per-view
But what about POLAND?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2004, 04:47 AM

Reagan won an electoral landslide. As Al Gore can tell you, popular vote and electoral are two very different animals. Plus, there's a difference between margin of popular vote and total vote.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

y0y0
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2004, 04:49 AM

Uhm, the population has grown a bit since 1984, you know?
But what about POLAND?

ender2002
Senior User
Nov 3, 2004, 04:53 AM

osama bin laden is specifically targeting "red" states for the next attack. good job.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2004, 04:54 AM

Just remember that about as many people voted for American Idol as in this election (and turnout is being considered very good).

ender2002
Senior User
Nov 3, 2004, 04:55 AM

american idol voters can vote an infinite amount of times. us election, one vote per voter.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2004, 05:03 AM

interesting... the majority of the people that go to church more than "a few times a year" voted for bush, while the majority of the people that do not attend church voted for Kerry. I shold've known. I'm glad there are more church goers than non-church goers!

link

also, what people thought were Bush's "most important qualities" were "Strong Leader (17%)" and "Clear Stand on Issues (17%)", "Honest/Trustworthy (11%)". For Kerry it was "Will Bring Change (25%)".
( Last edited by torsoboy; Nov 3, 2004 at 05:09 AM. )

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 05:03 AM

Originally posted by ender2002:
osama bin laden is specifically targeting "red" states for the next attack. good job.
Yeah, I'd sure hate to be in a red state and get bombarded with all those Bin laden video tapes. At least his old 'we're gonna unleash the fires of hell on ya infidel... just you wait!" audio tape series had something of an interesting theme to them. But his new parrot Michael Moore video productions- boy are the red states in for it!

They'll be bored into submission in no time.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2004, 05:04 AM

OK, I can't sleep.

Daschle LOST! o happy day. Next to Clinton's press secretary Mike McCurry, Daschle was in second place on my personal 'most hated' list.

Good riddance Tom.

Also, it has just become a mathematic impossibility for Kerry to win Ohio. In fact, Dubya leads by a wider margin than before. The more they count, the more votes Bush gets.

Looks like Dubya will get 286 Electoral votes.

Best post of the day? A blog comment left by a Republican named 'tommy' at the DNC's website (www.dnc.org) >

"If the Dems want to start hunting for dead voters in Ohio, we have some borderline Kerry states that we could turn."

sideus
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2004, 05:09 AM

147,613 difference. What part of you lose doesn't Kerry understand?

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 05:13 AM

Daschle getting the boot is indeed icing on the cake. Good riddance! Time to get a real job Tom. Much deserved comeuppance and long overdue. My hats off to the good folks of SD for that extra bonus.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 05:15 AM

Originally posted by ender2002:
When the North Vietnamese were winning the war, didn't Kerry meet with the N. Viet negotiators in Paris trying to work out a deal? Maybe some dems could form a delegation to negotiate with OBL before it's too late.

Hey, maybe the Senator could try it once again.
Consider these posts as my way of introducing you to yourself.

Proud "SMACKDOWN!!" and "Golden Troll" Award Winner.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2004, 05:17 AM

Originally posted by aberdeenwriter:
When the North Vietnamese were winning the war, didn't Kerry meet with the N. Viet negotiators in Paris trying to work out a deal? Maybe some dems could form a delegation to negotiate with OBL before it's too late.

Hey, maybe the Senator could try it once again.
every now and again you redeem yourself by posting something truly excellent.

sideus
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2004, 05:55 AM

Friggin CNN. Big bold letter on their website "CLIFFHANGER IN OHIO". Give me a break. 100% reported and Bush leads by 140,000+ but CNN declared Bush the winner in Nevada with 99% reported with just a 20,000 vote difference between him and Kerry.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 05:57 AM

A few hours ago I said they should wait for Ohio to come in, but now it's clear that Bush won. Congrats Republicans. I'm proud to have voted for Kerry, and I think he'd be a better president but it'll be more fun to keep complaining about Bush for another 4 years here on MacNN.

chalk_outline
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2004, 06:03 AM

Good for Bush. I urinated in my bed last night. I cleaned it up, not my frat bro.<--Liberal-- Bush needs to clean up Iraq. He broke it, now he wants to put it on my kids Visa. I can't wait for the history books to discuss this one..

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 06:29 AM

Originally posted by chalk_outline:
Good for Bush. I urinated in my bed last night. I cleaned it up, not my frat bro.<--Liberal-- Bush needs to clean up Iraq. He broke it, now he wants to put it on my kids Visa. I can't wait for the history books to discuss this one..
When China and/or Russia ever get in a war mood, GWB just won it for you. Iraq has the 2nd largest oil reserves. Saudi Arabia has the largest. We control or infuence both. No oil. No war machine.

Thank him now, or your kids can take care of THAT chore for you.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 06:42 AM

Originally posted by Spliffdaddy:
every now and again you redeem yourself by posting something truly excellent.

Hey, dude...why you wanna half-dis me in an open forum?

I'll ignore the affront and thank you for the compliment.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2004, 08:05 AM

Looks like Kerry can't legally contest Ohio unless he loses by less than 27,000 votes (less than half of a %), according to their election laws.

It's over.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 08:13 AM

Bush won over Kerry 3 MILLION popular votes nationally.

A huge landslide.

There is absolutely no way that Kerry can think that he can "win" even with the provisional ballots being counted. No possible way.

He's lost.

Another positive?

Tom Daschle is out also.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2004, 08:18 AM

Originally posted by Cody Dawg:
Bush won over Kerry 3 MILLION popular votes nationally.

A huge landslide.
3% is a huge landslide? That's news to me. It's more than Gore won the popular vote by in 2000, but it's by no means a landslide.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 08:21 AM

I just heard that only 10% of registered voters age 18-24 showed up. I hope your lazy asses get drafted!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 08:41 AM

Just saw it on the news, Millenium.

Perhaps you're thinking 3% of Americans.

It is the fact that one candidate won by 3 million votes of registered voters voting.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2004, 08:46 AM

I tend to appreciate continuity - this foreign agent was kinda hoping for Bush to win.

One four-year term is really quite a short time, merely enough to start things. So I'm very interested to see how the current administration will use the next four years to tackle the big issues, instead of passing them on to Kerry.

It is an uphill battle, as the world climate will get increasingly turbulent and there's even the possibility of more unrest within the US, as the nation seems to be very... bipolar. They need to be careful with the potential backlash. Soothing propaganda of 'the world getting safer' might not cut it anymore.

But if they do indeed reach their goals, it'll be a remarkable achievement. A lot of stuff will be left in smouldering ruins, such as the slowly built, mutually beneficial foreign policy of the past - the life's work of countless organizations, diplomats and politicians. Or the image of the US as a open, modern, advanced society with universally noble ideals.

Still, in the face of all the current and emerging outside threats, perhaps it'll be worth it.

J

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2004, 08:49 AM

Originally posted by Cody Dawg:
Just saw it on the news, Millenium.

Perhaps you're thinking 3% of Americans.

It is the fact that one candidate won by 3 million votes of registered voters voting.
Yes. I just checked my stats again: it's about 51% Bush, 48% Kerry, 1% Nader. That comes out to a 3% margin of victory; hardly a landslide. Get it up to 10% or even 5% and then we'll talk.

But that's not 3% of Americans, either; that's just a percentage of actual votes cast. Assuming a population of 270 million, that's just 1.3%; even less of a landslide.

Three million votes is a lot, but when stacked up against 113 million votes total, it's not all that much.

No one on these boards will mistake me for a Kerry supporter, nor a Bush supporter. I'm just pointing out that this is not a landslide. If the margin of victory were 10%, or even 5%, then things might be different.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2004, 08:53 AM

Originally posted by Randman:
Just remember that about as many people voted for American Idol as in this election (and turnout is being considered very good).
Ummm, are you trying to make a comparison between American Idol and the presidential election.

I guess if I could sit at home hour after hour hitting redial to vote as many times as I wanted... the presidential numbers would have been a little higher as well.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2004, 09:15 AM

No, I was just putting into perspective the numbers when a comment was made that Bush won by a record amount in the popular vote.
Amazing that so few Americans vote when so many non-Americans would give their left, well left whatever, to cast a ballot.

And as I said in the concede thread, I'd be more impressed with Kerry right now if he conceded graciously rather than keep this thing strung out as he grasps to the merest scrap of hope.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2004, 09:22 AM

My observations and thoughts: I was steeling myself for a Kerry win all day yesterday because of the conventional wisdom that a big turn out is better for Democrats than Republicans and because of the conventional wisdom that Democrats were angrier. I was especially concerned when those rumors came out based on exit polls.

I guess what we learned was the turnout conventional wisdom isn't necessarily correct. Lots of Democrats turned out, but so did more Republicans. My theory why the exit polls were so wrong is because of the anger factor. My subjective impression (living in a largely blue area) is that Democrats over the last couple of years have become very loud in their opposition, and Bush supporters rather quiet (cowed even) in their support. I think Democrats basically went out of their way to be exit polled.

But that's just a theory. The fact is that Bush has won the popular majority, and that is the first time in 16 years that has happened. Hopefully, that will throw a bucket of cold water on some of the left because if they are smart, Democrats ought to realize that they are actually quite well positioned for 4 years from now. There will be no incumbent, and they have two decent presumptive candidates in Edwards and Hillary Clinton. If they tack back to the center, they could do well. But if they sail off further to the left, they won't.

Another conventional wisdom that burst last night was the idea that MTV ads and scare tactics about the draft will motivate young people to vote. People feel the need to vote when they subconciously feel they have enough maturity and stake in society to vote. It doesn't just happen magically because a person turns 18.

I'm sorry to see Kerry repeating Gore's surly post-election tactics. But I don't see this dragging on or becoming as contentious as 2000. Ohio is effectively in the bag for Bush. It's over but like a lumbering dinosaur that is fatally wounded, the signal hasn't quite reached Kerry's brain yet.

Summation:

Low point of the day for me -- seeing my law school friends yesterday afternoon decked out in Kerry gear, prematurely celebrating based on the exit polls.

High point of the day -- Dan Rather's funereal expression last night.

Extra low point -- having to come to work and go to class tonight on about 4 hours of fitful sleep.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2004, 09:24 AM

Where's Michael Moore?

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Nov 3, 2004, 09:28 AM

Originally posted by Eriamjh:
I just heard that only 10% of registered voters age 18-24 showed up. I hope your lazy asses get drafted!
Perhaps they just didn't buy the BS that there was going to be a draft? Just a thought...
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Nov 3, 2004, 09:29 AM

Originally posted by Judge_Fire:
One four-year term is really quite a short time, merely enough to start things. So I'm very interested to see how the current administration will use the next four years to tackle the big issues, instead of passing them on to Kerry.
This is a good point. If the things Bush started do not work out now, he can't exactly blame it on anyone else.

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Nov 3, 2004, 09:30 AM

Originally posted by Randman:
Where's Michael Moore?
Honestly, the only thing I'm happy about regarding this election is that Michael Moore and MoveOn.org were proven ineffective; Goebbels would be flattered, but unimpressed.

Zimphire
Baninated
Nov 3, 2004, 09:31 AM

Originally posted by moki:
This is a good point. If the things Bush started do not work out now, he can't exactly blame it on anyone else.
Sure he can! Just look at what the Dems did to Clinton!

j/k

I am just glad it's over.

I am also glad I wont have to hear Kerry speak that much anymore.

Plus, 4 more years of the Bush daughters.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 09:32 AM

Simey:

EXCELLENT post. Couldn't be said better -- that is editorial material.

Zimphire
Baninated
Nov 3, 2004, 09:32 AM

Honestly, the only thing I'm happy about regarding this election is that Michael Moore and MoveOn.org were proven ineffective; Goebbels would be flattered, but unimpressed.
Indeed. Sorry Mike. Your movie didn't do what you wanted it to do.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 09:34 AM

Rove is a lot closer to Goebbels than Moore is!

Zimphire
Baninated
Nov 3, 2004, 09:35 AM

Originally posted by SimeyTheLimey:
I'm sorry to see Kerry repeating Gore's surly post-election tactics.
Eh, I don't think he is crybabying as much really. I thought he acted better. But it's not over yet I guess.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 09:38 AM

Some premature ejaculating going on in this thread. The fat lady isn't due on stage for another 11 days.

boots
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2004, 09:39 AM

Simey: Nice summary. I have to concur.

My thoughts in addition to that:

1) 3% margin in the popular vote (even though he got a majority and not just a plurality) is not a mandate. What that means to me is that there is some serious reaching out across the aisle that needs to be done. Remember, republicans picked up a few senate seats, but the magic number is 60 if they want to stop temper tantrums.

2) The democratic party has some serious problems. Many (nearly 25%) of those voting for Kerry) were voting against Bush, not for Kerry. That's a pretty piss poor base. Given that Dashel is now out, I wonder if there will be an opportunity for the party as a whole to reconsider their direction. They certainly need to.

3) No matter who wins Ohio's provision ballots ( ), the country will get a leader they deserve.

If Heaven has a dress code, I'm walkin to Hell in my Tony Lamas.

mo
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2004, 09:40 AM

I'm math-challenged enough as it is, without being up all night. I may be working on old numbers here. But assuming there are 250,000 provisional ballots to be counted, and Bush leads Ohio by 136,000 votes, doesn't that mean that the provisional ballots would have to break nearly 80 percent for Kerry -- in a state that went 51-49?

I don't mind waiting until today to get it settled -- I think one might be carried away in calling Kerry names like "surly" and or making comparisons to Florida -- but if the math says what it appears to say on the back of the envelope here, it would be a good idea to step up sometime today and congratulate Bush on his victory in a hard-fought race. We've had races back in more normal times when concessions were made on a Wednesday, no harm done.

It's very rare for us to have had two barn-burners in a row, if memory serves, 1884 and 1888 (not that I was voting then). Call me defeatist if you will, since I voted for him, but today, it appears, presents Kerry with a fairly rare opportunity to set the tone for the near term, and to give his party an opportunity to develop a better rallying cry for the future than "we were cheated!" It would not be constructive to obsess that way for four more years.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2004, 09:45 AM

Originally posted by boots:
2) The democratic party has some serious problems. Many (nearly 25%) of those voting for Kerry) were voting against Bush, not for Kerry. That's a pretty piss poor base.
According to CNN also, Bush got 10% of the votes of registered Democrats, whereas Kerry only got 7% of the votes of registered Republicans. I thought that was interesting.

boots
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2004, 09:48 AM

Perhaps they just didn't buy the BS that there was going to be a draft? Just a thought...
I don't think a lot of the arguments the Dem's used were effective. The draft thing is just one example.

If Heaven has a dress code, I'm walkin to Hell in my Tony Lamas.

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Nov 3, 2004, 09:49 AM

Originally posted by mo:
I'm math-challenged enough as it is, without being up all night. I may be working on old numbers here. But assuming there are 250,000 provisional ballots to be counted, and Bush leads Ohio by 136,000 votes, doesn't that mean that the provisional ballots would have to break nearly 80 percent for Kerry -- in a state that went 51-49?
The Lt. Governor of Ohio just announced that there are about 135,000 outstanding provisional ballots. Short of litigation of some kind, Kerry should concede.

Forum Links
Forum Rules