Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > powerbook rumors?!?!? SOON!

powerbook rumors?!?!? SOON! (Page 3)
seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2002, 02:21 AM

If you could all please tell www.yourdailymac.com what a shame it is that they're copying my rumors, I would greatly appreciate it.

They've basically taken one of my posts (on the first page of this thread) and summarized it. No other place on the 'net says this because I've toiled countless hours establishing connections to get it.

I e-mailed them already, and if they don't respond by tomorrow, I'm going to be less than nice about this. MacNN owns all the posts made on their forums. People who practice blatant plagarism suck.

There's a link to their e-mail address on the left column of their site. Thanks in advance!

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2002, 02:25 AM

If you do, please carbon-copy me on it.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2002, 02:57 AM

This just in: a new iBook's confirmed.

The high-end will feature a 733-megahertz G4, and the low-end will feature a 600-megahertz G4 with less cache. It looks like they're using a slightly different form factor, too.

There's going to be a press event in Cupertino very soon. People are crunching out the final details of the launch under a lot of pressure at Infinite Loop. Things are looking up.

And if any rumor sites copy this, I'm going to be seriously pissed off.

You heard it here, not there. Screw "there." It's all here.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2002, 03:02 AM

Note that the 733-megahertz iBook looks like it has L3 cache. The 600-megahertz iBook certainly won't.

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 22, 2002, 03:03 AM

OMG - I think I've died and gone to Heaven!!! A 733 MHz G4 iBook, and a 1 GHz G4 Ti?

Someone pass me the Thorazine!!!

iBorg

Qhris
Oct 22, 2002, 03:04 AM

Wooppeeee!!

Thanks for sharing the good news about the iBooks! Firm PowerBook details won't be long in coming I hope.

And yes, those other sites (www.yourdailymac.com, et al) suck....BIGTIME.
There's time enough, but none to spare.

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 22, 2002, 03:06 AM

Sean, do you have any info on the L2 and/or L3 cache on the new Ti's? I remember reading on Connectix' support page that when the "gigabit ethernet" Ti speed-bump came, there was no improvement in Virtual PC speed, because Apple decreased the amount of cache (L2?). Hope they now keep the increased amount, or, better still, increase it further!

Thanks for all the info - hope you're right!

iBorg

(edited to correct unintelligible wording, due to lateness of the hour!)

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2002, 03:11 AM

The iBook findings came a few minutes ago from a friend of mine.

It's been talked about, but he's the only confirmation I have. If it's not true, rest assured that he will be beaten with a stick.

iBookUser
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2002, 03:21 AM

HI Guys,
Thought I'd chime in with a bit of info that may or may not help

Here are Ingram Micro's latest stock figures on iBook and Powerbooks:

iBook CD-ROM 313
iBook Combo 12" 0
ibook 14" 0

PowerBook 667 744
PowerBook 800 242

I'd say it definitely looks like we'll see iBooks pretty soon. PowerBook numbers don't look too convincing though....

Matt

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2002, 03:29 AM

Actually, Apple sold some of its last TiBooks to Ingram Micro to be sold as EOL. Have you read the entire thread?

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2002, 03:33 AM

Thanks for the stats, though!

Qhris
Oct 22, 2002, 03:34 AM

Sean, if the iBook upgrades and TiBook upgrades you reported are true, do you guess that those portables will be leapfrogged by any releases that Steve & Co. announce in January? Just curious.

iBookUser
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2002, 03:36 AM

yeah, I read it all... Just saying that from a stock perspective, PB's don't look as plausible, nothing more

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2002, 03:36 AM

Please don't even start. It totally irks me to all hell when people begin to speculate on a machine that's not even out yet.

No, there won't be any portable announcements for at least four months after these 'Books are announced.

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 22, 2002, 03:37 AM

Sean, do you have any info on projected price points for these? I'd hope that, if anything, the Ti's would drop from their current prices, but actually expect they'd remain the same.

For G4-iBooks, I can't even imagine - I'd guess they'd go up, to bring them closer to Ti's price range, but they need an "education price" for a low-end iBook - maybe staying with a G3 for that???

The drama is killing me - I've gotta go to work in 5 hours now.........

iBorg

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2002, 03:40 AM

No, I'm fairly sure they're going G4 across the line.

I'm in the dark in terms of price points, actually. The TiBooks are most certainly not going to drop in price.

Qhris
Oct 22, 2002, 03:40 AM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
Please don't even start. It totally irks me to all hell when people begin to speculate on a machine that's not even out yet.

No, there won't be any portable announcements for at least four months after these 'Books are announced.
You're right. I just get so caught up in the rumors and speculation that I lose sight of what counts - machines and software that are available today. I appreciate what insight you've given so far and extend my apologies.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2002, 03:42 AM

Oh, it's fine. I'm not angry, it's just irksome. By the way, how's Nagoya? Japan, right?

Qhris
Oct 22, 2002, 03:46 AM

Yep. It's the third largest metro(or fourth)in Japan. Nagoya is beautiful this time of year! The autumn colors, the crisp, cool mornings and then there's the whole hot sake thing...

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2002, 03:47 AM

Ah, I can imagine.

I really, really need some sleep now. I've got class tomorrow.

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 22, 2002, 03:50 AM

I really, really need some sleep now. I've got class tomorrow.
OK, you can get some sleep.......for now!

But we expect a prompt update, the minute you hear anything more!!!

(how can I sleep now.........)

iBorg

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 22, 2002, 03:53 AM

if a new TiBK does come out this wk then I guess I need to call Apple Developer Hardware Purchasing Dept & ask if I can do a return since my TiBK is less than 2 wks old. hmmm, i wonder if this is possible.

its not i dont believe yah seanyepez, its just i wont believe until i see proof, so no pun intended.

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 22, 2002, 04:01 AM

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I've been following this forum for the past 2 years, and I've read alot of hype and rumors here. But Sean has been pretty consistently right on the nuts, when he's gone out on a limb here!

(Hope you're right, Sean! I want a new Ti 1 GHz!!!)

iBorg

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2002, 07:07 AM

You know, I don't really consider the hope of an upgrade "imminent" (a few weeks) until the major catalog sellers start offering really impressive deals on the current model.

It's their business to know. Literally.

mrmister
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2002, 08:56 AM

Well, Sean, if you are wrong I doubt any of us will ever let you forget it.

Best of luck.

jhunt5247  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 22, 2002, 09:20 AM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
If I am wrong, I'll send you all money.
Sweet jesus, I like your confidence. If your wrong, you can keep the dollar. I will be disappointed, but your prediction has given me a reason to get out of bed each morning.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2002, 09:53 AM

I wish a good day to you all, but it's time for school!

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2002, 12:27 PM

Sean, are you just posting wild speculation about G4 iBooks to see which rumor sites pick it up?

emerrill
Oct 22, 2002, 12:28 PM

If you take a look at mac mall, almost half of their models list 'Please Call' for avalibility, and even more look at small dog quanities. 5 out of 7 of the new versions(n in the CC column) are listed as avalible 7-10 days, but none in stock.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, I have the $$, just waiting for the new revision.

zzzap
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2002, 01:47 PM

Ok, guys. This never fails to occur: the rumour mill spins out control when we get close to release of new Apple hardware. But it's all part of the fun, although we often get disappointed when the hardware arrives.
Not to put a damper on the expectations that are building up in this thread, but a G4 iBook is out of the question. Yeah, it's long overdue, but such an upgrade entails more than replacing the CPU. The iBook will get a speed bump (modest) and a minor graphics upgrade, and that's it. I don't know if iBooks and PBs will be released aimultaneously, but this is most likely. Wednesday is too early. The beginning of November is when it's going to happen.

-zzzap

mrmister
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2002, 02:00 PM

zzzap, with your 7 posts, no history and no sign that you have any information on the matter.

Well, your opinion is duly noted.

Sophie
Oct 22, 2002, 02:00 PM

Originally posted by zzzap:

Not to put a damper on the expectations that are building up in this thread, but a G4 iBook is out of the question. Yeah, it's long overdue, but such an upgrade entails more than replacing the CPU.

-zzzap
From earlier post in thread "The high-end will feature a 733-megahertz G4, and the low-end will feature a 600-megahertz G4 with less cache. It looks like they're using a slightly different form factor, too." From this I gather that it is not out of the question as the form factor as stated is different. I only hope that they stay away from the titanium casing on the ibook to keep it more backpack friendly.

Synotic
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2002, 02:09 PM

Sean.. how about if you're right... I'll send you 5 dollars, and if you're wrong, then you send me 10 dollars?

himself
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2002, 02:11 PM

Originally posted by BrunoBruin:
Sean, are you just posting wild speculation about G4 iBooks to see which rumor sites pick it up?
Maybe that's what we should do... some of these incredulous rumor sites need to be shot (or suk deez nutz) for plagirizing.

From what I understand, these new 'Books will mark the introduction of Apple's new "Fuel Cell�" whic is expected to extend battery life up to 300%! They will also include the next generation of Airport cards (new BaseStations will be announced as well), and *possibly* FireWire2...

Now let's see which rumor site jumps on this first...
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

himself
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2002, 02:17 PM

Just noticed that yourdailymac.com credited their "exclusive info" to MacNN forums, but not to sean in particular...
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

MilesWho
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2002, 02:49 PM

sean: you realize that news of this rumor has spread to damn near every Apple rumor site there is. Tomorrow, you will be either deified, or hung out to dry. I don't know what will be more interesting. The update, or the anger which will be flowing like an untamed river $%#^ in your direction...

By the way, who are you? And how do you have three confirmations of this release when no one else has heard so much as a peep?

Sophie
Oct 22, 2002, 02:53 PM

Originally posted by MilesWho:
sean: you realize that news of this rumor has spread to damn near every Apple rumor site there is. Tomorrow, you will be either deified, or hung out to dry. I don't know what will be more interesting. The update, or the anger which will be flowing like an untamed river $%#^ in your direction...

By the way, who are you? And how do you have three confirmations of this release when no one else has heard so much of a peep?
I think he is the one that has a lot of stock in a fruit company. [Gump]

jblakeh1
Senior User
Oct 22, 2002, 03:07 PM

No one seemed to notice the post above that mentioned the image has a caption: 7.4 inches. What exactly is that a photo of? Not a powerbook.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2002, 03:12 PM

Here's a picture of a slimline slot-loading Superdrive! Made by Panasonic who I understand make the Ti-Book Superdrives.

MacBidouille is a great site for those of us who speak French. They had the pics of the new PowerMacs before anyone else and seem to usually be right.

Last week they reported that new PowerBooks would arrive before the end of the first week of November. I posted elsewhere about this.

They also said that the new NewerTech upgrades have 13 micron G4's at 500MHz made by Hitachi. If that's true, maybe Moto is making faster 13 micron G4's (at say 1GHz) and getting Hitachi to make the slower ones for other applications. One of those in a PowerBook with DDR RAM would make quite a difference to battery life no?

KidRed
Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2002, 03:21 PM

Originally posted by jblakeh1:
No one seemed to notice the post above that mentioned the image has a caption: 7.4 inches. What exactly is that a photo of? Not a powerbook.
It's already been busted. Turns out that it's nearly identical to a sony viao and was covered over to mimic a powerbook. So, it was a fake.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

jblakeh1
Senior User
Oct 22, 2002, 03:34 PM

Cool, thx

KidRed
Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2002, 03:58 PM

No prb

So tomorrow or first week of Nov? So, 2 rumors about a release in the next 2 weeks. Hope one is right.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 22, 2002, 05:04 PM

Originally posted by Love Calm Quiet:
You know, I don't really consider the hope of an upgrade "imminent" (a few weeks) until the major catalog sellers start offering really impressive deals on the current model.

It's their business to know. Literally.
Actually, I don't remember any time that this happened! The resellers charge list (or within $5 of list) until they must discount the "old" stock, because the "new" stock has been announced at the same price-points. If new Powerbooks are announced tomorrow, then the "fire sales" on Ti DVI's starts tomorrow.

iBorg

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2002, 05:07 PM

Originally posted by RMXO:
if a new TiBK does come out this wk then I guess I need to call Apple Developer Hardware Purchasing Dept & ask if I can do a return since my TiBK is less than 2 wks old. hmmm, i wonder if this is possible.

its not i dont believe yah seanyepez, its just i wont believe until i see proof, so no pun intended.
10 days only.

I Have Questions
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2002, 05:13 PM

Hoping, hoping, hoping...

BUT - wouldn't there be some sort of confirmation of an Apple press conference or something by this time? Or do you think that Apple would simply update the website and issue a press release? My guess would have been at least some sort of low key event with some tech journalists invited, which someone would have heard of by now.

Ideas? Thoughts? Lessons from history?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 22, 2002, 05:37 PM

Originally posted by xodiac:
For the first time in a while, there are several "out of stock" markers on http://www.macprices.com/g4tracker.shtml ... CompUSA evidently has no more TiBooks in stock... that might mean a revision, or it might mean they just didn't time their inventory refresh properly.

I noticed that MacMall, which shows how many units are in stock, hasn't been selling many TiBooks in the last week or so, and consequently they still have a pretty significant stock (270 or so, which is about 2 months worth at the rate I've seen them selling -- small sample size though). That provides some somewhat contradicting evidence for a revision...
A CompUSA employee told me that there is a shipping company strike out in Cali that is keeping them from receiving all sorts of goods. Maybe this is the cause of many retailers' out-of-stock status?

tooki

fulmer
Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2002, 05:39 PM

heck, if there's a G4 iBook running at 700 MHz or better with an L3 cache, then it is going to be faster than my 'gigabit' tibook 667.

if this iBook turns up (and can ship) soon, I'll be selling my tibook for one of those beauts!

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2002, 05:47 PM

Originally posted by tooki:

A CompUSA employee told me that there is a shipping company strike out in Cali that is keeping them from receiving all sorts of goods. Maybe this is the cause of many retailers' out-of-stock status?

tooki
Probably those truckers that struck with the ship yard workers. There are a lot more shipping companies out there, especially for goods that are airfreighted in like powerbooks.

rustyclockwork
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2002, 05:51 PM

yup... I've been waiting forever to get a new ibook... I pray they don't drop the 12"

I've heard so much about IBM's new developments with the G3, but either way, if the new iBook gets a G3 or a G4, I'll be happy...

I remember lots of people getting so hyped about the Paris expo, including myself...nothing... but now it only makes sense because of Christmas...

I've got $1800 available on an Apple student loan... I'll get up super early, and try to order one of the very first ones available to the public.

now I'm wondering if the update will be on California time... me being in Indiana... I can see me doing a refresh on I.E. every three minutes... :-)

seanyepez, your amount of posts speaks for itself, I'm backing you up all the way... and if I'm wrong... oh well...

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2002, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by nagha:
UCLA has traditionally offered deep price cuts on PowerBooks just before newer machines are replaced. For the past month or so, they've been selling the 667 for about $1900 and the 800 for about $2400.

na
Yup, colleges up and down the entire west coast have gotten in on this deal this time apparently.

Forum Links
Forum Rules