Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Logging in as root. Cured my DVD-R woes. Why?

Logging in as root. Cured my DVD-R woes. Why? (Page 2)
littlegreenspud
Senior User
Dec 31, 2002, 04:51 PM

I have exactly the same problem, no amount of permission resetting cures it!

DMR-E30 as well.

Here's hoping that Apple fixes it soon.

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2002, 09:35 PM

Instead of going through all this hassle has anyone tried my suggestion yet? I don't have a DVD drive in my Powerbook or else I'd give it a go myself. All you need to do is change a single line in a plist file, it requires no Unix stuff at all.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 31, 2002, 10:02 PM

Originally posted by Graymalkin:
Instead of going through all this hassle has anyone tried my suggestion yet? I don't have a DVD drive in my Powerbook or else I'd give it a go myself. All you need to do is change a single line in a plist file, it requires no Unix stuff at all.
Well, I didn't quite understand everything.

Here is my Info.plist:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!DOCTYPE plist SYSTEM "file://localhost/System/Library/DTDs/PropertyList.dtd"> <plist version="0.9"> <dict> <key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key> <string>English</string> <key>CFBundleGetInfoString</key> <string>1.0.0, Copyright Apple Computer, Inc. 2002</string> <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key> <string>com.apple.filesystems.util.ftpfs</string> <key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key> <string>6.0</string> <key>CFBundleName</key> <string>ftpfs</string> <key>CFBundlePackageType</key> <string>fs </string> <key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key> <string>1.0.0</string> <key>CFBundleSignature</key> <string>????</string> <key>CFBundleVersion</key> <string>1.0.0</string> <key>FSMediaTypes</key> <dict> </dict> <key>FSPersonalities</key> <dict> </dict> </dict> </plist>
The mount argument is in Root/FSPersonalities/ and is the FSMountArguments String. You can edit the plist file in either Property List Editor or pico or whatever your favorite command line editor is. The only caveat is root needs to modify the file so the changes can be made. Make a backup of the plist just in case anything goes wrong.
I can't find that directory in root.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2003, 01:59 PM

DVD discs use UDF. I'm looking for information on whether or not UDF supports permissions. If it does, then Apple would appear to be working correctly. If not, then it's an OSX bug.
Well, a friend of mine tried the disc on his *nix box. He had no problems whatsoever seeing the files on the disc. (He was logged in with a standard admin account, not a root account.)

So it sounds like Apple's Unix might be wonky, even compared to other *nixes.

In the meantime for the very important discs I'm still doing this:

1) Boot into OS 9. (Luckily I can still do this with my non-AluBook. )
2) Drag the VIDEO_TS folder over
3) Boot back into OS X.2
4) Reburn the disc in Toast.

What a pain.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 16, 2003, 12:25 AM

I was pecking around this morning and if you go into /System/Library/FileSystems/udf.fs/Contents there is an Info.plist that lets you add command line arguments to the mount_udf comment that autodiskmount runs. If you log in as root and add -o nosuid to the string all UDF will mount with the equivilent of what you're doing with disktool.

The mount argument is in Root/FSPersonalities/ and is the FSMountArguments String. You can edit the plist file in either Property List Editor or pico or whatever your favorite command line editor is. The only caveat is root needs to modify the file so the changes can be made. Make a backup of the plist just in case anything goes wrong.

Try this and see if it helps. I think it might solve your problems. Maybe some kind person with a 10.1.5 partition can dump the contents of that plist file to see what argument it was using to mount UDF disks.

You might also want to try mounting the disk read only by adding a -r argument to the plist instead of nosuid. When you mount something with the nosuid flag mount merely ignores any permissions present on the disk to allow read, write and execute privilages. Mounting a disk read only ignores the set permissions but it not as flagrant with the disk as nosuid. Mounting a disk with nosuid is for when you've got a system you lost the root password to or need to get at the root password by evil means. Try nosuid first and make sure/see if that works then go for read only.
Thanks. I tried your suggestion, but no dice.

Changing the udf.fs info.plist FSMountArgument string from null to "-r" or to "-o nosuid" did nothing. The directory is still invisible when logged in with an admin account (but still visible when logged in as root).

Arrrrggh!

Well, at least I can run DVD Player with an admin accout using Rooter until this gets fixed. Pseudo also does the same thing, but is $15 shareware. Pseudo saves having to type in the admin password each time though, as it supports keychains.
( Last edited by Eug; Jan 16, 2003 at 12:37 AM. )

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2003, 03:31 AM

I tried to send you a message asking if you had rebooted after you made the changes. What ought to be happening is the mount command should have those arguments passed to it and then either mount the disk ignoring permissions (-o nosuid) or mounting it read only (-r). I've been banging my head over this but since I don't have a DVD in my Powerbook or a console DVD-R I'm stuck.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 16, 2003, 09:19 AM

I tried to send you a message asking if you had rebooted after you made the changes. What ought to be happening is the mount command should have those arguments passed to it and then either mount the disk ignoring permissions (-o nosuid) or mounting it read only (-r). I've been banging my head over this but since I don't have a DVD in my Powerbook or a console DVD-R I'm stuck.
I will try again. I did reboot after "-o nosuid" was entered, although I didn't after "-r".

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2003, 01:26 PM

This is a bugger of a problem. I suppose the Rooter and Pseudo programs work well enough, I was just hoping to find something a bit more graceful. Again I wonder if someone running 10.1.x can go into their /System/Library/FileSystems/udf.fs/Contents folder and open their Info.plist file. In there click the Root arrow then the FSPersonalities arrow then the UDF arrow. In there look for the FSMountArguments string and paste anything that is in there. Under 10.2 it is blank which means the mount command isn't being passed any arguments besides the standard UDF mount ones.

ickettpe
Jan 21, 2003, 03:54 AM

ok, n00b question: how do i log in as root? Well, actually, my question is "what is my root password?"
Proof is an idol before which the mathematician tortures himself.
-Sir Arthur Eddington
----------------------------
800iBook | 384 | 12.1in | Jag

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2003, 03:42 PM

Could it be that X.2.5 corrects the problem?!?!?! This is from the X.2.5 update's description:
Improves compatibility for discs burned with certain Panasonic consumer burners.
I will check when I get home.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2003, 11:14 PM

Originally posted by Icruise:
If I "get info" on the problem disk, it says:

Owner: Unknown
Access: No Access

Group: nogroup
Access: No Access

Others: No Access
Woohoo! These discs now work with X.2.5. From my disc recorded on the DMR-E30, the permissions are now:

Access: Read only

Others: Read only

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 10, 2003, 11:45 PM

Heavy cool dude!
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 11, 2003, 12:21 AM

Originally posted by Eug:
Woohoo! These discs now work with X.2.5. From my disc recorded on the DMR-E30
This is GREAT NEWS for EUG and others affected by this issue. I know you, 'EUG' have struggled with these DVD-RAM issues for such a long time. Im pleased to know shitnitz is working for you..... :-))))

Thanks Apple for sorting this out for these ppl.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 11, 2003, 10:40 AM

Originally posted by Targon:
This is GREAT NEWS for EUG and others affected by this issue. I know you, 'EUG' have struggled with these DVD-RAM issues for such a long time. Im pleased to know shitnitz is working for you..... :-))))

Thanks Apple for sorting this out for these ppl.
Yep, thanks to Apple for finally correcting this issue.

I should point out however that it is a DVD-R issue, not a DVD-RAM issue.

As for DVD-RAM, I haven't tested it yet but my guess is that the DVD-RAM discs from the Panasonic DMR-E30 still will not work. That would require new drivers for the DVD-RAM disc file system (UDF 2.0), and changes to Apple's DVD Player in order to play these DVD-VR format discs. (These DVD-VR discs do work on some newer DVD players though, and most Windows-based DVD software players also will play them. DVD-VR is also what the Pioneer home decks use, but on DVD-RW, not DVD-RAM.)

[Edited to add:]

Others: Read only
So all the "No Access" settings have changed to "Read only". Could it be just that the Panasonic was setting no permissions at all, and OS X.2 (pre-X.2.5) just defaulted to "No Access" when presented with a null permission?
( Last edited by Eug; Apr 11, 2003 at 10:57 AM. )

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 22, 2003, 09:37 AM

Here is the AppleCare Knowledge Base document, dated April 21, 2003.

Interestingly, it seems they knew about this problem since at least Sept. 2002. I can't remember, but is that when X.2 came out?

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2003, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by Eug:
Interestingly, it seems they knew about this problem since at least Sept. 2002. I can't remember, but is that when X.2 came out?
Yes.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

mmihalik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2003, 07:08 PM

Several people had reported the problem to Apple last summer.

Some even sent Apple a recorded DVD-R disc to demonstrate the problem. The disc I sent to Apple had recording I made on a DMR-E20 of the January 2002 "Steve-note". Played fine on OS9.2.2 and 10.1.5; now plays on 10.2.5.

Nice to see that Apple was able to partially fix things.

Next they need to get on the UDF2.01 issue, so we can use those DVD-RAM discs (only not in the SuperDrive!). This will become a bigger issue if ever supported, as Apple has shipped several types of DVD compatibledrives now:
Code:
- SuperDrive: Pioneer DVR-10x will never read DVD-RAM LG/Hitachi GMA-4020 will read DVD-RAM Sony will never read DVD-RAM - Combo: Matshita will read DVD-RAM; others will not DVD-ROM CD-R/RW - DVD-ROM: Matshita drives will read DVD-RAM some Hitachi drives will read DVD-RAM some Toshiba drives will read DVD-RAM
Mike
M2inOR

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2003, 11:47 PM

Yep, works fine in X.2.5 and X.2.6. Hopefully it also works fine in X.3.

What was done exactly?

BTW, the UDF 2.0 thing has now been tackled. Heuris DVD connexIT provides a UDF 2.0 driver for OS X, and allows it to read DVD-VR format discs too.

Finally, I'll be able to read my Panasonic E30's UDF 2 DVD-VR DVD-RAM discs in OS X directly.

Forum Links
Forum Rules