Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > If you Run 10.2 on a Dual 1ghz + Airport, please read...

If you Run 10.2 on a Dual 1ghz + Airport, please read...
[email protected]
Aug 20, 2002, 12:17 AM

So I've had this annoying problem with Airport and OS X. Under heavy airport traffic, the sound will often skip, or just die. I bought the Griffin iMic as a temporary solution...it's worked fine, until recently, when even it too has failed to stop the audio from cutting out under intense airport use. So, my question is, for those of you who are already running 10.2 (6c115 I believe...) with aiport on a quicksilver pm g4, has this problem been fixed (Assuming you had this problem as well, of course.) Thanks to the first person who can answer my question.

Yaser Herrera

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2002, 10:48 AM

Wow, not to be dense, but I don't understand what you're talking about. The sound 'skips or dies?' What sound? Like, iTunes? Are you listening to streaming audio via Airport or something? And what did the iMic do for you? Are you using it to capture sound or running sound out of the USB?

I'm curious because I have a dual1G and Airport and I've never encountered these problems.

[email protected]  (op)
Aug 20, 2002, 12:34 PM

Basically, Any sound will skip, hiss, or crack when I am browsing the web, downloading files, streaming video, etc. It's especially noticeable when I am listening to music. Without the iMic, I cannot even listen to music while downloading Anything from the internet. The iMic forces the Audio through the USB port instead of through the analog headphone port; thus, the sound output is coming through the the USB channel. This cuts back on the skipping or hissing significantly.

So here's a good test; run limewire, and start a download. It's important that you are connected to the internet through Airport and that you have some speakers connected, although the sound will skip/hiss/crack on mine using the internal speaker alone. Once you start the download, start up iTunes and see if the music plays clearly. Another one is to go to Apple's movie trailer website, and attempt to watch a movie trailer. I notice that without the iMic the sound will skip/hiss while it attempts to stream the audio/video. As far as I know, this is a well documented problem. I can even point to the first thread I wrote about the problem. But, if you can do all of these things with no sound distortions, count yourself lucky!

Here's the link to the previous thread, if you are interested. http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...threadid=50531

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2002, 01:08 PM

I listen to iTunes constantly and I can honestly say that it plays just as well when I am downloading or transferring files thought Airport. (Of course I say 'just as well' because iTunes still skips. It's amazing that I have this huge dual1G with a gig of RAM and iTunes skips....but on my little teeny, tiny iPod it plays perfectly.)

How much RAM do you have? Do you have a lot of other apps running in the background? Your ABS isn't like sitting on top of your tower or anything, is it?

I can't understand what the Airport card/station is going that would cause audio choppiness. Just for giggles have you plugged your modem/ethernet line directly into your desktop and tried it?

Footy
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2002, 04:13 PM

I have a G4 867 Quicksilver and it does the same thing if I'm surfing via my Airport. Little skips here and there when a page is loading. I posted this question in the OSX software forum last week when Networking was down. I heard it was an Airport issue too but I can't confirm. I'm to lazy to hook up directly to the cable modem right now but I'm almost sure it did this while hooked up directly too.

Anybody with a quick fix?

kennethmac2000
Senior User
Aug 20, 2002, 04:47 PM

According to my sources (who I obviously can't reveal), this problem, which only affected G4s bizarrely enough, is fixed in 10.2.

Footy
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2002, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by kennethmac2000:
According to my sources (who I obviously can't reveal), this problem, which only affected G4s bizarrely enough, is fixed in 10.2.
Thanks so much, that is good news!

Ken, let me guess... Your running a pirate copy of 10.2 and don't want us to know that your source is actually you for fear of Apple gettin ya.

[email protected]  (op)
Aug 23, 2002, 02:02 PM

Originally posted by KeyLimePi:
I listen to iTunes constantly and I can honestly say that it plays just as well when I am downloading or transferring files thought Airport. (Of course I say 'just as well' because iTunes still skips. It's amazing that I have this huge dual1G with a gig of RAM and iTunes skips....but on my little teeny, tiny iPod it plays perfectly.)

How much RAM do you have? Do you have a lot of other apps running in the background? Your ABS isn't like sitting on top of your tower or anything, is it?

I can't understand what the Airport card/station is going that would cause audio choppiness. Just for giggles have you plugged your modem/ethernet line directly into your desktop and tried it?
One gig of ram. The problem occurs regardless of what program is running. The base station is upstairs. Using the modem, music plays fine; I haven't had a chance through ethernet. I sincerely hope 10.2 fixes this!

Forum Links
Forum Rules