Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > powerbook rumors?!?!? SOON!

powerbook rumors?!?!? SOON!
jhunt5247
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 19, 2002, 10:54 PM

Greetings,

So how many of you think there is STILL a possibility that the Powerbook could be updated before January?

I *really* want to buy one, and in about a week, I will have the money. Is it going to happen?? I can not wait until sometime in 2003, even if it is January. I can wait a couple of weeks, but that is it.

I don't play games, so unless OS/X needs an ATI 9000 just to "act" fast, I don't see that as a reason to wait. I used a 800 w/512 on a 4200 RPM drive at CompUSA yesterday, and it was super fast -- even though, I would put a Travelstar GNX 40g in it as well as a gig of memory -- especaily since they have that 40 dollars double your memory promotion going on.

Comments?

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 19, 2002, 11:11 PM

if u can wait a few wks then do it, but there is no guarantee that a new version of TiBook will be out anytime soon. if you can't wait or wont feel bad if a new version comes out soon then get it now.

i recently bought the PB 800 DVI & dont regret it.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2002, 02:34 AM

Yeah, actually there's very good proof one's going to be out very soon...

You don't regret it yet. It'll nag you when the new ones come out soon. It's a pretty major upgrade.

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 20, 2002, 03:51 AM

Originally posted by seanyepez:

You don't regret it yet. It'll nag you when the new ones come out soon. It's a pretty major upgrade.
Sean, you're killin' me! Give me a reason to keep hoping - throw us a bone! (Please???)

iBorg

dr. zoidberg
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2002, 08:54 AM

yeah, really.... sean!! you don�t seem to be under any nda, right? so give us at least *something* to ease our painful desperation!!!

uaaaargh!!
"And Zapp Brannigan, your score qualifies you as assistant delivery boy, second class."
"Hmm. I guess I'll have to sleep my way to the top. Kif, wake me when I'm there."

jhunt5247  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2002, 09:26 AM

Can you define your interpretation of "soon"? I hope this means in 2002.

Justin W. Williams
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2002, 11:17 AM

Originally posted by jhunt5247:

Can you define your interpretation of "soon"? I hope this means in 2002.
If he could, I bet he'd have to kill you afterwards.
Justin Williams
Chicks Really Dig Me
AIM - iTikki [NEW AND IMPROVED!]
http://www.tikkirulz.com

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2002, 01:54 PM

I've heard through "unconventional" means. This means I'm not under NDA. I fear that if I say anything too specific someone's going to be tipped off as to who the original leaker was.

Soon means very soon, soon enough to justify waiting if you already have a usable machine.

I'll say that it's not just a speed bump. There's a bit of added functionality, and the machine runs a good deal cooler. Performance will be a lot better. The RADEON 7500 and 9000 are pin-compatible graphics accelerators, but I haven't heard anything specific about graphics.

It looks like DDR and SDR are going to become a differentiating factor between Apple's "consumer" and "pro" lines.

Optical drive wise, it'll surprise (or disappoint) you all.

euphras
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2002, 02:07 PM

Now that was quite clear......thnx, Sean!

That also mean in some days (or weeks) my 667 DVI will just be some electronic junk anyways

Pat

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

jhunt5247  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2002, 02:30 PM

Soon means very soon, soon enough to justify waiting if you already have a usable machine.
I understand all this is going to happen. 2002 or in January of 2003 is the important part. I do have a desktop machine to use (PC). This will be my first mac purchase, so I can continue to wait for a couple of more weeks, but most likely not until January.

Hopefully your soon refers to 2002.

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2002, 03:53 PM

"very good proof" - as opposed to not-so-good proof?

The bottom line is always this: if you need a computer right now, get one. The current machines are great and reasonably priced. Don't delay buying one based on some "hot tip" of, let's face it, questionable merit.
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

cschmelz
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2002, 06:07 PM

Originally posted by Fyre4ce:

"very good proof" - as opposed to not-so-good proof?

The bottom line is always this: if you need a computer right now, get one. The current machines are great and reasonably priced. Don't delay buying one based on some "hot tip" of, let's face it, questionable merit.
Argh! I can get an 800/DVI new from my university (Michigan) for $2499...Very tempting upgrade or not..Hmmmm...

Buy now or wait?

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 20, 2002, 07:09 PM

I'll say that it's not just a speed bump. There's a bit of added functionality, and the machine runs a good deal cooler. Performance will be a lot better. The RADEON 7500 and 9000 are pin-compatible graphics accelerators, but I haven't heard anything specific about graphics.

It looks like DDR and SDR are going to become a differentiating factor between Apple's "consumer" and "pro" lines.

Optical drive wise, it'll surprise (or disappoint) you all.
That's it - finally a good justification for waiting to upgrade from my Pismo!

The overall upgrade sounds worth waiting for, but I'm curious about the optical drive - sounds like no DVD-R, if it's going to disappoint, but what else could "surprise" us? Hmmmmmmmm........

Sean has not been one to "blow sunshine up our skirts" when it comes to conjecturing about Apple upgrades, and, in fact, the few times he has given some hints, he's been pretty accurate. He sounds both specific and excited about this coming upgrade! - I'd listen to this one!

iBorg

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 20, 2002, 09:15 PM

I'd say the only thing that could surprise and disappoint people at the same time (short of making a plain CD-ROM standard or something...) would be to make DVD-R standard. It would disappoint since some people see it as unnecessary and don't want to pay for it.

Keeping the same options would be disappointing, but would hardly be a surprise, given Apple's conservative track-record when it comes to upgrades.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2002, 09:57 PM

Two independent sources have come to me saying the machine might be out on Wednesday. Though I find that hard to believe, I feel that you would much appreciate I relay the information. I wouldn't have relayed it unless I got confirmation from both, though.

Who knows. The waiting game is fun.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2002, 10:05 PM

Another good reason not to be too specific with three-month old information is the slight possibility that things might have changed.

According to old information, a SuperDrive was planned. Sony has developed the technology, but slot-loading DVD-R drives weren't ready.

I'm not sure whether Apple will change the enclosure of their PowerBook to accomodate Sony's DVD-R drive or not...

blindemboss
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2002, 10:20 PM

Originally posted by Fyre4ce:

The current machines are great and reasonably priced.
I beg to differ. Knock off $500 and then you're close to reasonable.

Dave Hagan
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 20, 2002, 10:26 PM

Two independent sources have come to me saying the machine might be out on Wednesday. Though I find that hard to believe...
How credible are your sources?
Dave Hagan | Apple Certified Technical Coordinator | iMac G5 1.9GHz | PowerBook G4 1.5GHz | Power Mac G4 933 MHz

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2002, 10:30 PM

I don't know how credible they are anymore. They used to be accurate, but a third source indicates that my original processor and architecure information is incorrect.

It's best to be left out of the rumor mill. It sucks.

Dave Hagan
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 20, 2002, 10:33 PM

Drats!
Dave Hagan | Apple Certified Technical Coordinator | iMac G5 1.9GHz | PowerBook G4 1.5GHz | Power Mac G4 933 MHz

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2002, 10:50 PM

However, all three seem to agree that the PowerBook will be announced Wednesday.

jhunt5247  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2002, 10:55 PM

I don't know how credible they are anymore. They used to be accurate, but a third source indicates that my original processor and architecure information is incorrect.

It's best to be left out of the rumor mill. It sucks.
Well I can wait until the middle of November, so thanks for the information. The most important thing to me is the video card and better cooling -- I don't want to own a laptop which is always noisy.

Hopefully this upgrade will come this month, so I can atleast order, even if I didn't get it until after January, I would be happy just know I bought the latest updated machine.

Time will tell..

Robster1958
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 20, 2002, 11:01 PM

Sean....

what do you think happens to the inventory of current 667 machines? discounted to $1999???
Rob
2.1 Ghz 15" MacBook Pro 2 GB RAM, OS X 10.5

16 Gig iPod Touch

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2002, 11:22 PM

Well, everyone agrees that there's new cooling in the form of a heat pipe (I'm not sure if it's a phase-change heatpipe or not). Two sources say that the PowerBook's going to get the Mobility RADEON 9000 with 32 megabytes of video memory, but the third can't confirm.

Expect processor frequencies in the range of 933 megahertz to 1 gigahertz. Bluetooth isn't going to happen, and the case is going to stay the same. The screen, manufactured by LG Electronics, is definitely brighter/higher color, but I haven't heard anything specific about resolution. From what I hear, it's going to stay at 1280 by 854.

In terms of storage, the SuperDrive likely won't happen. The low-end machines will have 40-gigabyte, fluid-bearing hard drives, and the high-end machines will sport 60-gigabyte, fluid-bearing hard drives. It's a surprise they won't include it, but I'm almost sure they weren't able to get the components necessary to feature DVD-writing capabilities on this new PowerBook when they started to make the new 'Books.

This is all I'm willing to share, but I've basically said everything I know.

skyman
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2002, 11:28 PM

Well, everyone agrees that there's new cooling in the form of a heat pipe (I'm not sure if it's a phase-change heatpipe or not). Two sources say that the PowerBook's going to get the Mobility RADEON 9000 with 32 megabytes of video memory, but the third can't confirm.

Expect processor frequencies in the range of 933 megahertz to 1 gigahertz. Bluetooth isn't going to happen, and the case is going to stay the same. The screen, manufactured by LG Electronics, is definitely brighter/higher color, but I haven't heard anything specific about resolution. From what I hear, it's going to stay at 1280 by 854.

In terms of storage, the SuperDrive likely won't happen. The low-end machines will have 40-gigabyte, fluid-bearing hard drives, and the high-end machines will sport 60-gigabyte, fluid-bearing hard drives. It's a surprise they won't include it, but I'm almost sure they weren't able to get the components necessary to feature DVD-writing capabilities on this new PowerBook when they started to make the new 'Books.

This is all I'm willing to share, but I've basically said everything I know.
Sounds like a nice update. Let's hope you are right??

dr. zoidberg
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 21, 2002, 12:29 AM

whoops...

looks like i am hours too late, hehe
"And Zapp Brannigan, your score qualifies you as assistant delivery boy, second class."
"Hmm. I guess I'll have to sleep my way to the top. Kif, wake me when I'm there."

I Have Questions
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 21, 2002, 02:44 AM

Two sources say that the PowerBook's going to get the Mobility RADEON 9000 with 32 megabytes of video memory, but the third can't confirm.
Why not 64 MB of video memory? It's not as if $3500 shouldn't buy you that! Sounds just like what I've been waiting for, but 32 really is a shame. Yet, I can't wait any longer, so I just might take the plunge if it comes on Wednesday. We'll see...

himself
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2002, 02:44 AM

okay, sean... when will you announce the launch of your new rumor stie?

If you're info pans out in the coming week(s), I'll immediately sell my 667 rev.B and pony up for the pro biz-ook... sounds nice so far.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2002, 02:59 AM

I didn't expect them to come with 64 megabytes of graphics memory. Really, you don't need any more than 32 megabytes for most everything. Only thick desktop replacements have been including a ton much memory for graphics as of late.
( Last edited by seanyepez; Oct 21, 2002 at 03:09 AM. )

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 21, 2002, 03:09 AM

I didn't expect them to come with 64 megabytes of graphics memory. Really, you don't need any more than 32 megabytes for most everything. Only thick desktop replacements have been including that much memory for graphics as of late.
Certainly that's true for now, however, the 8 MB video chip in my Pismo seemed great when I bought it 2+ years ago - now, it's not enough to play hardly any of the current top games, which usually require 16 MB to play. In another 2 years, will a 32 MB video ram chip be useful for any gaming? Since laptops, unlike desktops, can't be upgraded in video ram, I'd sure rather see a 64 MB video.

Just my $.02. Otherwise, your info about expected upgrades has me drooling in anticipation for Wednesday - I'll have my Visa card read-in-hand upon awakening that day! (......fingers crossed.......)

iBorg

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2002, 03:12 AM

My fingers are crossed, too. I hope that I've been getting accurate information.

Anyway, I know how you feel. 8 megabytes used to be enough for everything. Now, hardly anything runs decently on my 'Book. However, one must take into consideration that Doom 3 will require 64 megabytes of memory and a GeForce3-class graphics chip to run. Id Software recommends a GeForce4 with 128 megabytes of graphics memory.

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 21, 2002, 03:29 AM

I'd be surprised of any of the current Macs (desktop or otherwise) will be really great Doom 3 boxes. Actually, that's one reason why I'm opting to upgrade my 400MHz TiBook before my 400MHz G4 desktops.

I'll be happy if the new books will play Halo (whenever it comes out) at decent frame rates. I think we'll have to wait another major revision at least before we'll get portables that'll make good Doom 3 boxes.

Dave Hagan
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 21, 2002, 07:14 AM

However, all three seem to agree that the PowerBook will be announced Wednesday.
Were these three men in disaccord about the whole "new PowerBooks on Oct. 15th" rumor?

jhunt5247  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 21, 2002, 09:36 AM

Originally posted by Dave Hagan:
Were these three men in disaccord about the whole "new PowerBooks on Oct. 15th" rumor?
I really don't like the sound of this:

PowerPage.org claims that upcoming Powerbook revisions may employ new motherboard technology involving variable timing to extend battery life:

Prototypes have been seen sporting a new "variable timing bus and processor" in which the processor and the bus speed are governed by processing demand, a sort of high/low mode which effectively doubles battery life for such mundane tasks as watching DVDs or listening to music CDs.
This is presumably distinct from the processor cycling advantages that current laptops already perform to increase battery life.
Powerpage continues to maintain a January release of new Powerbooks

--

I could care less about that kind of update, extending the battery life is not something that I would call a top priority. Releasing an updated Powerbook before January should be apple's goal.

Lets pray and hope Sean is correct.
( Last edited by jhunt5247; Oct 21, 2002 at 09:41 AM. )

mrmister
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2002, 09:57 AM

"I could care less about that kind of update, extending the battery life is not something that I would call a top priority."

What the hell do you use your PB for?

I would buy a new PB in a New York minute if it promised a real world increase of battery life by 50-100%...that would be huge.

I use my portable as a portable, and I think a lot of people do as well. This kind of tech matters to me a lot more than bumping the processor speed.

jhunt5247  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 21, 2002, 10:11 AM

Originally posted by mrmister:
"I could care less about that kind of update, extending the battery life is not something that I would call a top priority."

What the hell do you use your PB for?

I would buy a new PB in a New York minute if it promised a real world increase of battery life by 50-100%...that would be huge.

I use my portable as a portable, and I think a lot of people do as well. This kind of tech matters to me a lot more than bumping the processor speed.
Nothing! I don't have one yet I am waiting for an upgraded model before I purchase one. Yes battery life is important, but at this point in time, getting a new version out the door should be more important.

They can add the battery life update after January.

mrmister
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2002, 10:28 AM

Why? A small update isn't worth the considerable time and expense needed to overhaul the line--if they don't have a real update ready, I think they are just going to let the PB stay as-is until January.

It would make very little sense to bump specs now and then again in January.

jhunt5247  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 21, 2002, 10:42 AM

Originally posted by mrmister:
Why? A small update isn't worth the considerable time and expense needed to overhaul the line--if they don't have a real update ready, I think they are just going to let the PB stay as-is until January.

It would make very little sense to bump specs now and then again in January.
No, it needs an update. It has been almost 6 months before the last update. Video card, speed bump, and better cooling would be a significant upgrade to me.

jhunt5247  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 21, 2002, 11:00 AM

No, it needs an update. It has been almost 6 months before the last update. Video card, speed bump, and better cooling would be a significant upgrade to me.
Hmm, looks like more rumors are out:
--

http://www.yourdailymac.com/

Powerbook this Wednesday? - Reports of a Powerbook update as early as this week. Specs include Radeon 9000 with 32MB of Video RAM. 933-1GHz processor speeds. No bluetooth. 40GB/60GB drives. No internal superdrive.

Robster1958
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 21, 2002, 11:19 AM

and where do you think those rumors came from???
Rob

16 Gig iPod Touch

jhunt5247  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 21, 2002, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by Robster1958:
and where do you think those rumors came from???
Are you trying to say here? I couldn't tell you if that was true or not. I guess we will have to wait and see.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2002, 11:36 AM

Are you trying to say here? I couldn't tell you if that was true or not. I guess we will have to wait and see.
He's saying they basically recapped everything seanyepez has said.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

Robster1958
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 21, 2002, 11:37 AM

yes..here.....

thanks to sean, this Forum is a new force to be reckoned with!

oh. the very best thing about this new rumor??

it has a short fuse! it's kinda like a stock rumor: when you both info AND timing, it's either right or wrong.
Rob

16 Gig iPod Touch

oeyvind
Senior User
Oct 21, 2002, 12:06 PM

This JP site says there's Bluetooth not SuperDrive due to supply problem.

mrmister
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2002, 12:15 PM

"No, it needs an update."

Maybe you missed the logical reasons why there might be no update until January, your feelings notwithstanding.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 21, 2002, 12:34 PM

That site generally just posts things that it gets from other rumors sites (SpyMac was one of its main sources in the past, so don't give it too much credit). The fact of the matter is that it is hard to tell the pure speculation from rumors based in fact. I could probably start a rumor (Powerbooks to have new stylus-capable trackpad -- you heard it here first!) but that doesn't mean it's true.

Still, I have a gut feeling that the Powerbook will be updated soon, and Sean's idea of Wednesday sounds reasonable enough.

xodiac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2002, 02:36 PM

For the first time in a while, there are several "out of stock" markers on http://www.macprices.com/g4tracker.shtml ... CompUSA evidently has no more TiBooks in stock... that might mean a revision, or it might mean they just didn't time their inventory refresh properly.

I noticed that MacMall, which shows how many units are in stock, hasn't been selling many TiBooks in the last week or so, and consequently they still have a pretty significant stock (270 or so, which is about 2 months worth at the rate I've seen them selling -- small sample size though). That provides some somewhat contradicting evidence for a revision...

bstone
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2002, 02:49 PM

Originally posted by iBorg:

Certainly that's true for now, however, the 8 MB video chip in my Pismo seemed great when I bought it 2+ years ago - now, it's not enough to play hardly any of the current top games, which usually require 16 MB to play. In another 2 years, will a 32 MB video ram chip be useful for any gaming? Since laptops, unlike desktops, can't be upgraded in video ram, I'd sure rather see a 64 MB video.
Don't you think it would be great if someone out there would figure out how to get us a video card upgrade? They figured out how to do a G4/500 upgrade then you'd figure they could figure out how to get a better video card in there.

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2002, 03:21 PM

Originally posted by xodiac:
For the first time in a while, there are several "out of stock" markers on http://www.macprices.com/g4tracker.shtml ... CompUSA evidently has no more TiBooks in stock... that might mean a revision, or it might mean they just didn't time their inventory refresh properly.

I noticed that MacMall, which shows how many units are in stock, hasn't been selling many TiBooks in the last week or so, and consequently they still have a pretty significant stock (270 or so, which is about 2 months worth at the rate I've seen them selling -- small sample size though). That provides some somewhat contradicting evidence for a revision...
They had those at the beginning of the month when new powerbook rumors were also swirling. Sadly, they were replenished the following week.

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 21, 2002, 04:01 PM

Originally posted by bstone:

Don't you think it would be great if someone out there would figure out how to get us a video card upgrade? They figured out how to do a G4/500 upgrade then you'd figure they could figure out how to get a better video card in there.
Absolutely! If the video chip was upgradeable, I'd have absolutely no problem spending $3500 for a new Ti with 32 MB ram, if it could be upgraded to an enhanced, next-generation 64 or 128 MB chip in a year or so!

Actually, if I could upgrade my Pismo 500 to a G4 500 with a decent video chip upgrade, I might even consider going with that for now! Of course, that's exactly the upgradeability that Apple would try to prevent, so as to be able to increase sales on a high-profit product line......

iBorg

Forum Links
Forum Rules