Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > eMac Vertical Raster Shift

eMac Vertical Raster Shift
ThisGuy
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2002, 01:10 PM

Have many of you had this problem? I have already encountered 3 of these problems where I work. Apple replaces the display/analog assembly, but the replacement had the same problems as the original defective one.

DBursey
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2002, 02:24 PM

Can you please elaborate on the nature of this problem?

ThisGuy  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2002, 02:37 PM

Originally posted by DBursey:
Can you please elaborate on the nature of this problem?
The raster shifts upward from the bottom of the display to the point where the menu bar is no longer visible.

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2002, 01:38 PM

This seems to have become a widespread problem. There are several rage-filled threads over at Apple's discussion boards, and MacFixIt posted an alarming item this morning:

Some resellers stop selling eMacs due to display issue

Another fairly large Macintosh reseller has chimed in on the previously reported eMac "raster shift" display issue, taking the additional step of ceasing sale of eMacs because service costs are too high, and customer relationships are being ruined by product failure rates:

"After replacing 30 percent of the PAV boards in units I have sold and having to travel 50 miles to repair another (we're AASP+ Certified), I have made the decision to no longer sell or recommend eMacs to customers.

"On the inside, in my opinion, the design and workmanship are obviously poor on the PAV -- which is a 'one piece' unit with the power supply, video board and monitor all in one. Heavy, bulky, awkward, and generally a pain to replace."

We continue to receive differing percentage reports on return rates, some as high as 60 percent, and others as low as 15 percent. A Vancouver-based retailer writes:

"To this date I have had to repair 11 eMacs with the video issue. Out of those 11, four of them had to be re-fixed because the replacement part was defective. To this date our store (we have three locations) has sold 63 eMacs. That is about 18 percent that have failed."

The "raster shift" problem causes the bottom third or half of the eMac's screen to go black, with the rest of image shifting upward and out of the top boundary of the display. Serious static also accompanies the problem, rendering the viewable part of the screen virtually useless.

Raster shifting has caused a number of readers to take their systems in for repair, with similar results from the newly replaced components.

HamSandwich
Dec 10, 2002, 04:50 AM

Here's a couple of pictures of the dreaded raster shift, courtesy Waynesworldy and Randy Smith over at the Apple Discussions forums:

ThisGuy  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2002, 05:04 PM

Originally posted by CaseCom:
This seems to have become a widespread problem. There are several rage-filled threads over at Apple's discussion boards, and MacFixIt posted an alarming item this morning:

those stories are not exagerated. i have had to replace this assembly on four of the 20-25 different eMacs that i support. and of those four one of them had to be replaced a second time. the assembly is about 85% of the overall weight of the machine and is a pain in the ass to get out and replace. i would be very nervous buying an eMac, new or refurbished. if i remember correctly, they even pulled the service source TIL article describing the problem.

ThisGuy  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2002, 05:20 PM

Originally posted by ThisGuy:

those stories are not exagerated. i have had to replace this assembly on four of the 20-25 different eMacs that i support. and of those four one of them had to be replaced a second time. the assembly is about 85% of the overall weight of the machine and is a pain in the ass to get out and replace. i would be very nervous buying an eMac, new or refurbished. if i remember correctly, they even pulled the service source TIL article describing the problem.
*UPDATE*

now the one i replaced a second time has gone bad again. this is unacceptable. is there a lemon law for crap hardware?

LudwigVan123
Dec 23, 2002, 05:32 PM

A naive question as I'm no techie by any stretch of the imagination: Can this problem be solved by a software patch of some kind, or is it exclusively a hardware problem? I ask as I'm considering buying a (refurbished) eMac in the near future - my first Mac.

bartman00
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 24, 2002, 12:32 AM

Just a wild guess.. but about the software fix.. no freeken way! If there was any way to fix this with software they would have relieced it by now! Think now much they've allready spent replacing the POS components that are failing.

I've seen this shift problem on one emac.. it's horid...

Hey.. apple lower your huge margen a little and quit skimping on the parts.. the origianal iMac A/V board problem was bad enough don't congtinue the tradition.

If your're thinking about getting a used emac.. just make sure you can still upgrade the Apple care.. or it has upgraded Apple care.

Bart
Powermac Sawtooth w/ 1.3ghz overclocked GigaDesigns 1ghz cpu
iBook G3-900

ThisGuy  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2002, 04:46 PM

There is a new fix for the Vertical Raster Shift problem. It can be found on the TIL article 95168. No more replacing the entire display/analog assembly.

blackgasmask
Dec 26, 2002, 06:55 PM

There is a new fix for the Vertical Raster Shift problem. It can be found on the TIL article 95168. No more replacing the entire display/analog assembly.
can you elaborate on that? the document #95168 doesnt seem to be avaliable.

ThisGuy  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2002, 09:15 AM

Originally posted by blackgasmask:
can you elaborate on that? the document #95168 doesnt seem to be avaliable.
That is weird, I just viewed and printed it yesterday, but there is no mention of it today. It basically says to replace the IVAD cable if the raster shifts upward or if the raster is jumpy.

serranot
Forum Regular
Dec 27, 2002, 10:48 AM

Just happened to me yesterday--twice. It's normal today, but I will be bringing it in for service. Hurry up, MWSF 2003--daddy wants a 19" iMac.
T-bob

blackgasmask
Dec 27, 2002, 01:23 PM

do you know if this works? I just called my apple svc provider and convinced them to order the cable for me before I drive 80 miles round trip. if this will solve the problems I guess Id sooner they replace that then put in an entire new display with the same problem.

ThisGuy  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2002, 01:46 PM

do you know if this works? I just called my apple svc provider and convinced them to order the cable for me before I drive 80 miles round trip. if this will solve the problems I guess Id sooner they replace that then put in an entire new display with the same problem.
i cannot gaurantee if it works, but i will be able to in a week. i have an eMac right next to me that will be repaired with this part.

ThisGuy  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2002, 04:35 PM

I just pulled the defective cable out and it seems like a very easy fix. hopefully this won't take them but 30 minutes to replace. good luck!

blazwa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2003, 05:18 AM

yeah well, the emac bit. went into sleep mode with the screen fine, came out in the depths of a raster disaster. having the same prob everyone else is, thot I dodged the bullet but not so. just wondering about the IVAD cable fix This Guy talked about. is it a true fix? This Guy, can you talk more about it? haven't called apple yet, trynna see how this all shakes out. any help would be greatly appreciated.

ThisGuy  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2003, 11:54 AM

Originally posted by blazwa:
yeah well, the emac bit. went into sleep mode with the screen fine, came out in the depths of a raster disaster. having the same prob everyone else is, thot I dodged the bullet but not so. just wondering about the IVAD cable fix This Guy talked about. is it a true fix? This Guy, can you talk more about it? haven't called apple yet, trynna see how this all shakes out. any help would be greatly appreciated.
I am waiting for the replacement part from Apple. I will post my findings on here as soon as I get the part and test it. I am expecting it to be here by Thursday of this week.

blazwa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2003, 02:09 PM

Thanks for the quick reply This Guy, looking forward to your next post. BTW, turned on the emac this morning and it's back to normal but for how long? couldn't get it to come out of the raster trance last nite at all. tried resetting PRAM, etc. now that it's back to semi normal gonna turn off sleep mode and leave it on forever...

ThisGuy  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2003, 02:55 PM

I am waiting for the replacement part from Apple. I will post my findings on here as soon as I get the part and test it. I am expecting it to be here by Thursday of this week.
Update to the ETA.....they are on backorder. Who knows how long it will be now
$9.95 for the part and $6.95 for shipping.

blazwa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2003, 03:42 PM

thanks for the update TG, the dreaded back order prevails. the emac is slowly bailing on me today, eliminated sleep mode and watched the screens slowly slip upwards and static enter the pic. aargh! i admit it, i'm a switcher from the pc, recent, but have always respected the macs and shopped furiously for the best deal. still love the mac but am disappointed by this glitch and the probs everyones having with it. and the reluctance of apple to deal with this. what do they say tho, "don't hate the player hate the game?" that's where i'm at. thanks TG.

blackgasmask
Jan 6, 2003, 06:22 PM

Update to the ETA.....they are on backorder. Who knows how long it will be now
$9.95 for the part and $6.95 for shipping.
I got mine. I think. I called my service provider the day after you posted the link to the (now removed) TIL and asked them to order it. Im told it was delivered today, I'm taking the emac in tomorrow. hopefully they ordered, and received, the right bit. Ill post results tomorrow afternoon. perhaps thats why they pulled the TIL-no cables to send out.

Footy
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2003, 06:48 PM

I was at CompUSA this weekend and they had 2 eMacs on display. One of them had this issue. Needless to say they need to take it off display, it looked horrible.

blackgasmask
Jan 7, 2003, 07:56 PM

I got mine. I think. I called my service provider the day after you posted the link to the (now removed) TIL and asked them to order it. Im told it was delivered today, I'm taking the emac in tomorrow. hopefully they ordered, and received, the right bit. Ill post results tomorrow afternoon. perhaps thats why they pulled the TIL-no cables to send out.
update...they replaced the entire crt/analog board with a replacement like the rest of the warranty emacs. Apparently they never ordered the cable I asked them too...its only backordered a week though so they should be available soon. for the moment my emac works fine. I was a bit surprised that the tech wasnt aware of the failure rate of replacement crt's though. He knew of no problems so perhaps mine will stay.

blazwa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2003, 03:55 AM

anxiously awaiting word on the IVAD cable news, i know you guys are back ordered so thot I'd update you on my vert raster prob. yesterday the emac screen went back to pretty much normal after having sleep mode off and machine on for at least 3 days. stayed normal even switching to OS9 and back again. don't know for how long it'll stay normal. maybe it is a thermal issue as well, ya think? but, is it too hard on the machine to not let it go into sleep mode? i'm afraid the raster shift will creep back in if i do, since it first appeared coming out of sleep. thanks in advance for your feedback. peace

serranot
Forum Regular
Jan 12, 2003, 09:20 PM

Just got my eMac back from the Tysons Corner Apple Store. They replaced the CRT and video system instead of the cable. If I have to bring this sucker back again, someone is going to get an eMac shoved straight up his cuckoo.
T-bob

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2003, 12:08 AM

geez it sounds like the entire emac product line is nothing but a disaster.
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

mamamia
Jan 15, 2003, 10:59 AM

Originally posted by Mac Zealot:
geez it sounds like the entire emac product line is nothing but a disaster.
it's not. when they work, they are excellent machines - on par with the original imac. I got one for my parents and though I consider myself more of a pro-sumer (covet a dual 867), when loaded with ram, the emac was acceptably fast and pleasure to use.
funky bitch

serranot
Forum Regular
Jan 15, 2003, 04:30 PM

I agree. It's not that big a deal. If I have to have it fixed again, I probably will be more than a little upset. However, it's a computer. I use it as Apple had intended--web, email, photos, music, etc. Because it's not my whole life, and because Apple products have generally been well-made in the past, I will continue to buy from them. I like their hardware (generally) and their software.

I view an Apple like a lot of folks view their Corvettes or Boxsters. Those two cars have abysmal reliability rates. However, they also have among the best consumer satisfaction ratings. Why? Because when they work, they work well.

Those of you who use your computer for a living, i.e., like a toaster or other appliance, will have a different opinion.
T-bob

blazwa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 20, 2003, 11:00 PM

The raster shift is back, screen barely useable. i'm writing this on the pc I was trying to switch to the apple from. thank god i didn't sell it. i love my emac when it works. just wish apple would fess up and come up with a solution that works. i won't take it in till they do. any news on the IVAD cable solution TG? thanks in advance.

ThisGuy  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2003, 12:00 AM

The raster shift is back, screen barely useable. i'm writing this on the pc I was trying to switch to the apple from. thank god i didn't sell it. i love my emac when it works. just wish apple would fess up and come up with a solution that works. i won't take it in till they do. any news on the IVAD cable solution TG? thanks in advance.
they are still on backorder. i will post my results as soon as i get it and test it.

ThisGuy  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2003, 04:08 PM

***UPDATE***

I replaced the IVAD cable today and it fixed the raster problem. This was a much easier procedure than replacing the entire display assembly like before.
This is the third attempt at keeping this eMac up and running. I will periodically post how it is holding up in the weeks to come. Has anybody replaced their IVAD cable yet? Keeping my fingers crossed .

jedi
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2003, 05:57 PM

Hi ThisGuy,
Not that I want you to try this, but , do you think there is a connection between the "raster" problem and the "sleep" mode?
I have an "iMac" and wierd things like freeze up`s and stall`s happen when I put my iMac to sleep and "wake it up"
(I don`t use sleep that much anymore)
Just a thought, all reply`s welcome Thank you
jedi

blazwa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2003, 09:02 PM

***UPDATE***

I replaced the IVAD cable today and it fixed the raster problem. This was a much easier procedure than replacing the entire display assembly like before.
This is the third attempt at keeping this eMac up and running. I will periodically post how it is holding up in the weeks to come. Has anybody replaced their IVAD cable yet? Keeping my fingers crossed .
Excellent news TG. Don't know if it's theeee fix but it sounds great to me. my screen is coming and going. can i order one of those myself from my local apple place? i think i might just slip it in myself, if it's not that hard. have worked on the emac a bit and not worried about the warranty. thanks for your info TG, I have a feeling your fix is better than the other one.

ThisGuy  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2003, 09:10 AM

it is not a difficult fix, but i skipped one of the parts they tell you to do, using hot glue to hold the cable in place. the part you are looking for is 922-5806 IVAD to analog cable. it is a $9.95 part, so don't let them rip you off too much. good luck with your repair. If you need specific instructions with the repair email or PM me and i can help you.

blazwa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2003, 04:02 PM

many thanks TG, the info is invaluable. i have to tell ya TG, i've been very impressed with how tight mac owners are as a group. restores my faith in the mac and humanity. i will probably need some feedback on the repair and will be in touch. gonna order me a cable right now. thanks again TG.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 23, 2003, 01:18 AM

many thanks TG, the info is invaluable. i have to tell ya TG, i've been very impressed with how tight mac owners are as a group. restores my faith in the mac and humanity.
Gosh, I'm getting all misty...

It's true, though. Despite the occasional flame, people on the Mac boards are generally very open-minded and helpful.

Forum Links
Forum Rules