Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > eBay auction...for real?

eBay auction...for real?
Robster1958
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2002, 11:49 PM

check this out:

title of auction is..i guess..tongue in cheek.

then it shows a webpage of cheap PB's, supposedly available through applestore.

is this the developers package?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2067727831
Rob
2.1 Ghz 15" MacBook Pro 2 GB RAM, OS X 10.5

16 Gig iPod Touch

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2002, 11:55 PM

Read the auction carefully. It's for "literature" on how to obtain a machine for that price.

Forget about it. I would go into depth on this topic, but it's utter crap. Don't even consider this option. If you read the auction text, they admit you're not bidding on actual hardware.

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 4, 2002, 11:58 PM

Originally posted by Robster1958:
check this out:

title of auction is..i guess..tongue in cheek.

then it shows a webpage of cheap PB's, supposedly available through applestore.

is this the developers package?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2067727831
yes, this is the ADC Hardware Purchasing Program pricing.

some dumbass will most likely send him $23 & find out that he/she has to pay more $ just to register as a developer. a new sucker is always born everyday....
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody | iPhone 16GB 3G

jhunt5247
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2002, 12:00 AM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
Read the auction carefully. It's for "literature" on how to obtain a machine for that price.

Forget about it. I would go into depth on this topic, but it's utter crap. Don't even consider this option. If you read the auction text, they admit you're not bidding on actual hardware.
I think he understands that, he is just wondering if the literature is going to tell him to get a student developer discount.

jhunt5247
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2002, 12:01 AM

Originally posted by RMXO:

yes, this is the ADC Hardware Purchasing Program pricing.

some dumbass will most likely send him $23 & find out that he/she has to pay more $ just to register as a developer. a new sucker is always born everyday....
Well from my understanding to get this price you also have to be an enrolled student, no?

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2002, 12:04 AM

Originally posted by jhunt5247:

Well from my understanding to get this price you also have to be an enrolled student, no?
yes,you have to be a student if you want to register as a Student Developer. Student developer cost $99.

this is the pricing for different types of Developer Programs.

http://developer.apple.com/membership/descriptions.html

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2002, 12:09 AM

I think he understands that, he is just wondering if the literature is going to tell him to get a student developer discount.
Yes, the seller will tell him that he needs to sign up for the Student Developer Program....

jhunt5247
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2002, 12:13 AM

yes,you have to be a student if you want to register as a Student Developer. Student developer cost $99.

this is the pricing for different types of Developer Programs.

http://developer.apple.com/membership/descriptions.html
Thanks for the info. Without having to read through all that information, is there anyway to get the student developer cost if your a teacher? I know you can get an education discount, but was just wondering about the developer side of things. Thanks

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2002, 12:24 AM

Thanks for the info. Without having to read through all that information, is there anyway to get the student developer cost if your a teacher? I know you can get an education discount, but was just wondering about the developer side of things. Thanks
LOL. if you or anyone is thinking of taking this route then i suggest you/them read the program completely.

dont be lazy now....

to answer your question:

as long as that teacher is a registered student (at any college will do) then yes, that teacher can sign up for the Student Developer.

Robster1958  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 5, 2002, 12:34 AM

figured as much.....maybe i'll just spend about $20,000 for tuition too!

it was actually the title that caught my eye.

Harvard...figures!
Rob
2.1 Ghz 15" MacBook Pro 2 GB RAM, OS X 10.5

16 Gig iPod Touch

jhunt5247
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2002, 12:41 AM

LOL. if you or anyone is thinking of taking this route then i suggest you/them read the program completely.

dont be lazy now....

to answer your question:

as long as that teacher is a registered student (at any college will do) then yes, that teacher can sign up for the Student Developer.
Yeah ok, you're right.. I am being lazy. I just needed to know if I needed to drive my wife to some college in the morning and get her enrolled

She is a teacher, so I guess I will just settle for the education discount. I already got a free copy of Jaguar out of it.

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2002, 01:59 AM

Yeah ok, you're right.. I am being lazy. I just needed to know if I needed to drive my wife to some college in the morning and get her enrolled

She is a teacher, so I guess I will just settle for the education discount. I already got a free copy of Jaguar out of it.
honestly i suggest you ask your wife to enroll as a student again. Developer discount still cheaper than education even after you spend $99 for th enrollment fee. that extra 10% adds up in the end. the higher model you get the more you save.....

or if you know anyone that goes to Uni of California then ask them to get you one since their prices are close to Developers & you dont have to pay the enrollment fee.

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2002, 02:04 AM

Originally posted by Robster1958:
figured as much.....maybe i'll just spend about $20,000 for tuition too!

it was actually the title that caught my eye.

Harvard...figures!
The Student Developer program is a great program to enroll in. Besides getting all the developer software on CD/DVD & other things, they actually gave me a copy of Jaguar w/ the developer CDs.

think of it this way, with the few extra $100+ you gonna save. you can use to it buy pizza or whatever for those long nites you gonna be up studying.

Forum Links
Forum Rules