Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 1Ghz 17" iMac in Canada, anyone?

1Ghz 17" iMac in Canada, anyone?
rafaelperini
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2003, 01:56 AM

I have ordered an 1Ghz 17" iMac (no airport, bluetooth card, plain 256 RAM), but it seems that it will take 2 to 3 weeks to have it delivered...

I want to know if anyone in Canada is having the same delay to have it delivered, or this is happening just because I ordered through my University Micro Store (Educational Price).

By the way, I tried to explain the Micro Store that I would like to order the iMac with 512Mb in the INSIDE slot (so I could upgrade to 1GB if needed). I don't know why, but they could not order the computer that way... they would have to order an aditional 256 and have it installed here. Are all university stores this crap? i.e., they cannot customize the memory?

I guess I will only be able to increase the memory up to 768MB later on...

Sander
Feb 12, 2003, 11:59 AM

I think your delay is due to the university store. I am in the same boat here. You have to wait a bit to get the savings.

As for RAM, I think you can only get 512 in one slot from Apple built to order. Uni stores only get stock configurations.

Cheers.
Have a nice day!

rafaelperini  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2003, 01:26 PM

I am glad and relieved that this is not happening only with me!

Thanks

SoBeLiZZard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2003, 07:23 PM

A friend of mine ordered a midrange 17" iMac 1Ghz, and its shipping in 1-3 days from now. he ordered through a reseller here, not an edu pricing or anything.... so, i think its the edu price thats holding it up.
Edu customers usually get the shaft, as Apple first sells at a profit, and then later, when there is a surplus, they ship out to the educational outlets.

And. to your other point, about BTO'ing memory etc through university stores. I ran into the same problem, when i ordered my footlong PB. I couldn't up the harddrive to 60 gigs without the price jumping up to almost retail (rather than the usual 400$ off), when it only costs 50$ from Apple to do this. For some reason, customizing doesn't seem to be an option, unless you want to pay more than the educational price.

vEDGEtable
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2003, 12:53 PM

Yeah, I myself have ordered the new iMac 1Ghz the day apple announced it. But yet I have not received it!!! And it has been 11 days! I ordered it from a reseller tho and not from a educational reseller. I suspect that most everyone on Canada is having the same problems with delays in delivery. I am expecting my new iMac to arrive sometime in the next 3 days! I am very excited!

With Regards to RAM, I have shopped around and found some great deals with 512MB of pc2100 RAM that is much cheaper than the apple store and any reseller has quoted me. 169 bucks with taxes. CanadaComputers.com is awesome! Shop around and get a qulified reseller with knowledge to install the RAM for you. University Stores are "That crap"! I am going to add the 200 pin SODIMM (user accessible) when I can scrounge up some more coin!

Originally posted by rafaelperini:
I have ordered an 1Ghz 17" iMac (no airport, bluetooth card, plain 256 RAM), but it seems that it will take 2 to 3 weeks to have it delivered...

I want to know if anyone in Canada is having the same delay to have it delivered, or this is happening just because I ordered through my University Micro Store (Educational Price).

By the way, I tried to explain the Micro Store that I would like to order the iMac with 512Mb in the INSIDE slot (so I could upgrade to 1GB if needed). I don't know why, but they could not order the computer that way... they would have to order an aditional 256 and have it installed here. Are all university stores this crap? i.e., they cannot customize the memory?

I guess I will only be able to increase the memory up to 768MB later on...

rafaelperini  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2003, 02:19 PM

Originally posted by vEDGEtable:
Yeah, I myself have ordered the new iMac 1Ghz the day apple announced it. But yet I have not received it!!! And it has been 11 days! I ordered it from a reseller tho and not from a educational reseller. I suspect that most everyone on Canada is having the same problems with delays in delivery. I am expecting my new iMac to arrive sometime in the next 3 days! I am very excited!

With Regards to RAM, I have shopped around and found some great deals with 512MB of pc2100 RAM that is much cheaper than the apple store and any reseller has quoted me. 169 bucks with taxes. CanadaComputers.com is awesome! Shop around and get a qulified reseller with knowledge to install the RAM for you. University Stores are "That crap"! I am going to add the 200 pin SODIMM (user accessible) when I can scrounge up some more coin!
Cool, I hope you get your computer as soon as possible! I head that the delay is due to customs and stuffs...

Regarding the RAM, I also checked the canadacomputers.com. They are cheaper than my local dealer (memoryexpress.com), but I will wait until they quote the shipping and taxes... The 200pin user accessible memory cost CAN$249 as opposed to CAN$289 here in Calgary. But again, if any problem happen, I would have to send it back etc... plus shipping....

I am not sure if I will buy the internal memory... I think that 768MB of RAM might be enough for a while... and I will only upgrade to 1GB if I have some spare money. And as you said, we need someone from an Apple dealer to install it otherwise you void your warranty.

Hope you get you iMac soon.. I am expecting mine for the last week of February or early March!

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 16, 2003, 01:34 PM

I was SO close to getting my iMac on Friday. It was shipped from CA early on Thursday, then hit Calgary 6 hours later at 8 am.

For whatever reason, it was stuck at FedEx for the whole day. It did leave Friday finally for me, but didn't make it by the end of the day. They blamed it on road conditions (bunch of bull). Should have had it by noon on Friday.

So now they're going to deliver it Monday, only I use my work address and we're closed for Family Day - FedEx is delivering though. So it looks like I'm going to work for a few hours in the morning... hope it shows up early.

FedEx can kiss my ass.

I'll probably forget about it after getting it though. One more sleep.

rafaelperini  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2003, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by murbot:
I was SO close to getting my iMac on Friday. It was shipped from CA early on Thursday, then hit Calgary 6 hours later at 8 am.

For whatever reason, it was stuck at FedEx for the whole day. It did leave Friday finally for me, but didn't make it by the end of the day. They blamed it on road conditions (bunch of bull). Should have had it by noon on Friday.

So now they're going to deliver it Monday, only I use my work address and we're closed for Family Day - FedEx is delivering though. So it looks like I'm going to work for a few hours in the morning... hope it shows up early.

FedEx can kiss my ass.

I'll probably forget about it after getting it though. One more sleep.
Murbot, that's Awesome !! Its good to hear that iMacs are coming to town! I hope that mine will arrive soon! I don't know what to expect from University of Calgary's micro store, but they told me that I would receive my machine by the last week of February or 1st of march.. hopefully earlier !

By the way, did you load your machine with memory or you are going/planning to buy extra here in Calgary? I've been to a place called Memoryexpress (also at memoryexpress.com). Their price are okay (not as cheap as in states though), but I don't know about their reputation. Maybe you know elsewhere to buy memory here...

enjoy your iMac!

Rafael

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 17, 2003, 06:34 PM

Acutally I'm not in Calgary, I'm a few hours east.

Oh, and FedEx delivered my iMac to someone else.

It was supposed to be delivered by noon on Friday, and after a few phone calls that was amended to 2:30, then to 5:00. They insisted it was "on the truck" in the city, and must have been delayed... I'll have it first thing this morning.

They couldn't tell me where it was by 11:00 am, so they opened up a case and said they'd get back to me. I just got their call here at 2:30 pm. Bad news.

Another business in the same area here had ordered some computers from Apple as well, apparently, and this stupid bitch gave them my iMac too. They were delivered at 2:00 on Friday. Amazing that FedEx couldn't tell me this during my 3:00 or 5:00 phone calls on Friday, or my 3 phone calls today.

So, this other place (don't know who yet) has had my iMac for 3 days.

What happens with FedEx here, is they pass off items to a local delivery outfit, who then distributes them. So the lady with this delivery company is going to go back to these guys, see if she can get the computer back, and deliver it to me tomorrow. I am just thrilled, of course.

A bit of a strange circumstance, and I don't know what Apple's policy would be on this, but if that box has the seal broken on it I think I'll refuse it on the spot. For all I know, the people there were excited with their big Apple shipment and unpacked everything. I'd have to go through everything to make sure all the accessories are there, the install CDs, make sure the display isn't scratched... and that the right iMac got put back in the box.

Even if the tape was cut and it looks like it wasn't taken out.... screw it. I'm not going to take a chance.

I think I'll flat-out refuse the thing if there is anything other than one piece of packing tape on it. I don't know if I'm being a jerk or not, but even having someone else unpack my iMac and put it back in scares me. I'll refuse it and call Apple to tell them I want the order cancelled immediately. After all this messing around (on top of the shipping date change they gave me), I can probably just get one locally in a couple more days. Apple can have this sucker back.

Of course, it could be sealed up fine, in which case I can just keep the thing... just pisses me off that I missed out on setting my new computer up over a long weekend because some incompetent broad gave my damn computer to THE WRONG PERSON!!!! ARRRGGHHH!!!!

Sorry, I just can't see how anyone with the intelligence to get a driver's license could do this. I'm thinking that the DIFFERENT NAME and DIFFERENT ADDRESS on top of the box would tip her off.

Oh well, we'll see tomorrow.

rafaelperini  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2003, 07:47 PM

Murbot,

I am really sorry to hear all that.. I just cannot believe that! I think that FedEx was supposed to deliver to the right person, if you can prove that your computer was delivered to someone else, I believe that you can get some compensation from them. And I completely agree with you, I would not get an open box computer... God, just can't believe how bad they can screw!

Have you tried to call someone in FedEx, I mean someone high there, not just the telephonist and customer service... I don't know how this would help, but I am sure you would make some truck drive' s ass being put on the stove!

Anyway, I hope you get your computer as soon as possible and I hope they have NOT open your computer.

Nephron
Forum Regular
Feb 17, 2003, 11:39 PM

Compusmart Scarborough had some of the new 17" iMacs this weekend.

Cheers!

Forum Links
Forum Rules