Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" or 15" Powerbook?

12" or 15" Powerbook?
kelesh
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2003, 08:16 AM

Hey, i've priced the 15" powerbook at $2080 and the 12" at around $1680. Is the $400 worth it the upgrade? Basically its more screen resolution, a radeon 9000 vs 7500 mobility, and 1GHZ w/ 1MB L3 cache vs 867mhz with no L3 cache. I do like games but this will primarily be used as a portable chatting, browsing, and word processing machine.

Also, when will the aluminum 15" powerbooks be released? I am a potential switcher so I know nothing about the release schedule. Are they going to be more expensive than the current 15" powerbooks?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 20, 2003, 08:24 AM

Well, this is a purely subjective opinion, but it sounds like the 12" would be just fine for you, and it does have a number of advantages over the 15" (arguably more sturdy, definitely smaller and lighter, etc). The 15 is faster, but not by a huge amount. For the things you describe, the 12" would be plenty -- even an ibook would work fine.

As for when and if an 15" Aluminum powerbook model will come out, it is the subject of much discussion, but as far as I know there aren't any conclusive answers. Could be any time really, but I don't expect it for at least a month or so after the 17" become generally available.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2003, 08:28 AM

Hello!

There are some differences between the 2, some you mentioned, and some you slightly misquoted, but it's all good.

The 12" vs. 15" PB:

- 1024x768 resolution vs. 1280x854 resolution (but remember, that's *a lot* of pixels on that 12" screen, so though it's small, it packs a lot of screen real estate)
- nVidia GeForce 4 420 Go (32MB) vs. ATI Radeon Mobility 9000 (32MB or 64MB, depending on the model of 15" PB you choose) - this will make a big difference for gamers, but you've stated you aren't a huge gamer, and the nVidia chip will push the casual game just fine.
- 867Mhz proc. vs. 867Mhz OR 1Ghz proc. (the 12" comes *only* with an 867Mhz proc., while you can order the 15" PB w/ a 1Ghz proc.
- No L3 cache vs. 1MB L3 cache (this makes the largest difference in games, but as you've stated, you won't be gaming much, and though this *does* make a difference, don't let is soely sway your decision as it's not overly important in the midst of comparisons)
- 167Mhz front-side-bus vs. 133Mhz front-side-bus (the 12" PB has a newer & faster front-side-bus, but it cancels it self out almost w/ the lack of L3 cache)
- DDR RAM vs. SDRAM (the 12" PB uses double-data-rate RAM which can transfer information faster, thus giving it a slight speed edge in the RAM dept.)
- 640meg RAM limit vs. 1GIG RAM limit (although the 12" PB packs DDR RAM, it can only pack 640megs of it, while you can cram 1GIG of RAM into the 15" PB)
- Gigabit Ethernet vs. 10/1000T Ehternet (again, not a huge deal as Gigabit Ethernet doesn't really come into play much at all)
- AirPort Extreme vs. AirPort (this comes into play only if you have 802.11"g" Base Station, such as the AirPort Extreme Base Station, and you can transfer files at blazing high speeds, but normal broadband internet is still under 11Mbps, so either would do the casual wireless user just fine)
- Bluetooth Standard vs. Bluetooth Optional (this is only important if using short-range Bluetooth enabled devices like phones, PDA's, etc.)
- No DVI output vs. DVI output (this is a major deal if you plan on connecting an Apple Display, b/c you'd need a $300 VGA-to-ADC adapter w/ the 12" PB, but only a $99 DVI-to-ADC adapter with the 15" PB. So if you plan on connecting the 12" PB to a display, you're better off getting a VGA display so you don't hafta buy that adapter)
- First Revision Issues vs. Ironed-out Issues (the 12" PB has numerous first-wave issues like heat problems, battery fitment, sticky trackpads, etc. while the 15" PB has been revised numerous times and the problems have been addressed. Of course, your 12" PB may not have these issues, but nonetheless, their out there)

Either notebook will surely treat you well and will do everything it sounds like you need it to do. For strict portability, the lightweight and compact 12" PB is unbeatable, but if you need more screen space the 15" PB is the taker. Since you're not a hardcore gamer, that eliminates the obvious 15" PB choice b/c of it's better graphics chip, and so it's really just your judgement call. Take everything into perspective and judge for yourself...personally, I'd say that if you won't be using the machine for gaming, the 15" just isn't worth the extra cash. The 12" PB will do everything you need, plus leave you with cash to spare to pick up some nice accessories like an external mouse/keyboard, AirPort Extreme Base Station, nice notebook carrying case, etc.

And as for the fabled *new* 15.4" Aluminum PowerBook's release date, no one knows. But most signs point to "no time real soon". Late summer would be a good estimate, or possibly into fall, so unless you want to be waiting numerous months, don't count on the new 15" PB being released.

Hope this helps! Good luck!
( Last edited by AssassyN; Mar 20, 2003 at 09:28 AM. )
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2003, 10:04 AM

If you can't really decide (after the very complete comparison of AssassyN ), from what you're planning to do with your powerbook (no heavy duty work), I would think that way:
Will you travel and carry a lot your PB or will you use it mainly as a desktop replacement?
Travelling with the 15" is fine but the 12" is way better (lighter and more convenient in planes).
On the other hand, I find that if you're using a PB all day long at work the 15" display is perfect..
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

audvidsvs
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2003, 10:41 AM

I just went from an IBook with the 12" screen to a TiBook and I don't think I can go back now to a smaller normal aspect ratio screen.

It is true that carrying the Ti is more difficult than the small machine but for me the trade-off is worth it. Maybe partly due to my eyes getting worse,The large screen is just so much more comfortable to use for anything I have tried.

Looking at the PB 12" next to the Ti in the stores confirmed for me that the resolution on the new 12" just makes the pixels too tiny for me.

Either way though you can not go wrong. I have had many PC laptops and the Apples are as good or better as a total package thanany of the PC's out there.

Good Luck

U n i o n 0015
Forum Regular
Mar 20, 2003, 10:58 AM

I went with the 15" since the 12" screen is just too hard on my eyes. That was the biggest deciding factor for me. The 17" was originally on my list, but it was significantly more costly the way I wanted it. So I went with the next best thing.

Good luck!

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 20, 2003, 11:14 AM

I loved my iBook 12", but the 15" screen is definitely a lot nicer. By all accounts, the 12" iBook's screen is the same as the 12" PB.

It's not just the brightness, but the pixel density.

The 12" is 106 dpi, a little too high. A 13" would be better.

The 15" is closer to 101 dpi IIRC. It's just right. Plus the extra screen real estate helps.

That said, the 15" is more awkward to carry around and handle, and the extra 1/2 lb is noticeable. The 15" is well-built, but flexes slightly too.

kelesh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2003, 02:21 PM

interesting. i'm sure i'd love the heck out of a nice 15" tibook but i'm leaning towards the 12" book for a few reasons:
1. price
2. less likely to be obsolete (despite bein slower)
3. portable
4. aluminum look is damn sexy

though the 15" would be nice with the extra screenspace - i do just fine with 1024x768 on my old thinkpad 570 now and a higher dpi means a crisper picture overall. i am gonna look at them in the apple store one more time before i buy one or the other. thanks for all of your inputs on these awesome laptops.

real
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 20, 2003, 02:40 PM

Kelesh,
I would go with the 12 " powerbook.It sound like you would do fine with the screen, Also the price factor is huge, $1900 isn't bad for a powerbook.I have a desktop that I do serious work on, and on the PB is mostly e-mail, website, word, and some photoshop, After effects, but nothing nuts.If the 12" is going to be a desktop for you you might think about the 15. Then again the 12" looks great connected to a 21" monitor at 1600X1200 plenty of space for FCP, After Effects, Photoshop. 2 cents
real
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com

Voch
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2003, 02:52 PM

I just checked out of curiosity and Apple's got the refurb 15" PB G4 667 DVI back in stock for $1599. It's the one I bought refurb a month ago and I love it. I upgraded from an iBook/500/DVD.

Granted it's got slower Radeon 7500 video and a slower processor than the current PowerBook G4, but it does include an 8x8x24 combo drive, 1MB of L3 cache, DVI out, and that luscious screen...

Voch

kelesh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2003, 07:34 AM

eh, the refubished powerbooks seem way too slow for the price.

this laptop will not be a desktop replacement, it will be a laptop replacement. my desktop is a watercooled athlonxp 1700+ radeon 9700 pro triple dell LCD screen beast.

my current(first and only) laptop is an ibm thinkpad pII 366mhz 192mb pc100 ram that ran win2k and now runs debian.

I have been reading up on the 12" Albook and the 15" Tibook. It seems like the Albook might have some quirks since it is the first revision. Also the more I think about it, a 15" Tibook would be much less likely to become obsolete. I keep wavering back and forth but I will probably decide tonight. I know 1024x768 was enough for me in linux, but its certainly small for Windows XP. I have never used OSX so I don't know how much screen space it takes, perhaps a 12" Powerbook with 2 or 3 virtual desktops is adequate, I'm really not sure. The only things I have open all the time are: terminal with ssh into my school, terminal running console based AIM client, terminal for school's chatting, and a normal terminal(gotta have it in linux). Ahh well, its a touch decision, but only because both laptops are so awesome.

Forum Links
Forum Rules