Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > what kind of screwdriver needed to remove RAM slot cover on 12" PB?

what kind of screwdriver needed to remove RAM slot cover on 12" PB?
lawgeek
Forum Regular
Apr 3, 2003, 04:46 PM

Hi,
Can someone tell me exactly what type of screwdriver is needed to access the RAM slots on the 12" PB? Will I be able to find such a tool at Sears?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 3, 2003, 05:03 PM

I have heard that it's a 00 Phillips, but having never worked on one myself, I can't say for sure.

However, your idea of going to Sears is dead-on. They have a decent assortment of good-quality precision screwdrivers individually, but they also have a set which you'd think had been designed specifically for Apple technicians. It has [looking at my set here] 3 Phillips drivers, 4 Torx drivers, and 5 flatheads. (It's item # 45736.)

I'd also pick up and use a screwdriver magnetizer, which makes working with fidgety tiny screws much easier. (All the stories of magnetized screwdrivers damaging hard drives are hooey; there are vastly stronger magnets inside the drive!)

tooki

lawgeek  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 3, 2003, 05:10 PM

Thanks. Yeah Sears is great for stuff like this. I picked up a torx screwdriver when I was changing my Pismo's harddrive. Apple's document on installing memory was next to worthless.

iohead
Apr 3, 2003, 05:20 PM

Originally posted by lawgeek:
Hi,
Can someone tell me exactly what type of screwdriver is needed to access the RAM slots on the 12" PB? Will I be able to find such a tool at Sears?
Philips #0 is the right size. I used the smallest I could find - it's just a matter of being VERY careful with the screw heads - they are very tiny, very easy to destroy and even easier to scratch. Take your time and don't apply too much pressure. That's about it.

-A

lawgeek  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 3, 2003, 06:30 PM

Originally posted by iohead:
Philips #0 is the right size. I used the smallest I could find - it's just a matter of being VERY careful with the screw heads - they are very tiny, very easy to destroy and even easier to scratch. Take your time and don't apply too much pressure. That's about it.

-A
Well, I didn't destroy any screws (I think 1 might have a little scratch on it, but no real damage done) and now my 12" is fully maxed out RAMwise.

Forum Links
Forum Rules