Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > System misbehaving after Superdrive upgrade - help!

System misbehaving after Superdrive upgrade - help!
Zoom
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2003, 09:09 AM

Well, I thought everything was fine, but it's not.

I upgraded the internal drive on my G4 Sawtooth to a Pioneer 105 (see the referenced thread above). At first, it was fine. Toast could see it. I could play movies. I even burned a movie.

But when I returned to the machine after the G4 had gone to sleep, it wouldn't recognize the drive. I had a left a DVD in the drive and you could still see it mounted on the desktop. I ejected it, and the DVD was gone from the desktop but nothing happened. Toast no longer saw the drive, though Apple System Profiler did. I restarted and it remounted the drive and I was able to eject. This has now happened twice.

The second time I restarted, however, things took a major turn for the worse. I reached the log in screen, logged in, saw the desktop, dock, hard drives, and desktop folders appear, but right when it should have been mounting the DVD that was still in the drive, I got the dreaded text on the screen - as in, overwriting the background. It had a ton of stuff, but here are the highlights:

System failure: cpu-0; code=00000001 (Corrupt stack)

[exception stack deleted, but even it was complaining about not being right.]

Memory access exception (1,0,0)
ethernet MAC address: [deleted]
ip address:[ deleted]

Waiting for remote debugger connection.

I restarted again (by holding the power button down till it shut down) and this time it was fine.

What the hell do I do about this?? I suppose I could try reinstalling the OS and then doing all the damn upgrades (I have a early Jaguar CD), but I'd really rather not. Can I simply run the last updater (10.2.5)? What's going on here?
( Last edited by Zoom; Apr 20, 2003 at 09:14 AM. )

kndonlee
Forum Regular
Apr 20, 2003, 10:04 AM

If you want to do a clean install you could easily downoad the 10.2.5 combo updater which is around 81.9 megs. http://download.info.apple.com/Mac_O...10.2.5.dmg.bin

That will take you straight from 10.2 to 10.2.5. However, for iMovie, iPhoto you'll download another 100 megs of stuff.

I'd suggest that you go into disk utility, and then run repair permission for the 120gig drive.

Before that, hold the eject kep while booting up or the e key and i believe your dvd should pop out.

Then continue on booting up to repair the disk permissions...

Hopefully, that should fix you up, and take kernel panics(things you just described) away. btw, kernel panics are like Blue screens of death ont the windows side.

Good luck

keston
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 20, 2003, 12:07 PM

I thought i was going crazy. I have been having similar kernel panics. Also the same behaviour with my DVD-R drive (pioneer A05) in my new G4 DP 1.25Ghz FW800. I had added the super drive as soon as I got the system, so I wasnt sure what it was. But your probablem sounds ALOT like mine. Kernel panics at seemingly random (complaining about IO extensions, see below), discs disappearing after being mounted, or unmounting from desktop but not ejectiing when i drag to trash. I've done numerous clean installs (it was even panicing with the clean restore from system dvd), removed my attached firewire HD etc, and had begun to suspect the DVD-R drive, but hadnt seenany similar reports.. till now. I removed the IOSCSI extensions below which seemed to be the DVD drivers (no dvd drives worked after removing), so i put them back. Examples of one that occurs often below, also i've gotten the memory access exception like you did alot. My current OS is at version 10.2.5 with all updates applied.
--
backtrace continues...
Kernel loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies)
com.apple.iokit.IOSCSIMultimediaCommandsDevice(1.2 .4)
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IODVDStorageFamily(1.2)
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOSCSIBlockCommandsDevice(1.2.4)
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOCDStorageFamily(1.2.1)
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOSCSIArchitectureModuleFamily(1.2 .4)
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOStorageFamily(1.2.3)
com.apple.iokit.IOATAPIProtocolTransport(1.2.0)
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOATAFamily(1.5.3f1)
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOSCSIArchitectureModuleFamily(1.2 .4)
com.apple.iokit.IOSCSIArchitectureModuleFamily(1.2 .4)
com.apple.iokit.IOATAFamily(1.5.3f1)
--
Btw, i hope i'm not crapping on your thread... I'll post a seperate one too just incase the problems arent the same.
( Last edited by keston; Apr 20, 2003 at 12:12 PM. )

keston
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 20, 2003, 12:09 PM

Also, have you updated to the latest firmware for the drive? I have thought about it, but havent tried it yet as I heard there was some issues with certain brands of dvd media.

Zoom  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2003, 12:20 PM

Can I just installed the 10.2.5 updater? Or do I need to install 10.2 and the updater?

I think I'm going to get iLife, so I can use iDVD, so I will probably be reinstalling all of that, anyway.

How do I repair "disk permissions"? Is this a file permission thing? Do you think CCC screwed something up? Do you think this is the root of the problem? I've read somewhere that people seem think the OS should be reinstalled after a Superdrive is added - like maybe the OS senses it when installing and does something special for it. Does anyone know anything about that?

Please keep the ideas coming. I'd like to have a range of options so that I can save the OS reinstall for last.

If I do reinstall the OS, what will I lose? Will it save any preferences or settings? Is there a tool that will help with this so I don't have to reset all my prefs? Do prefs get corrupt in OSX just like the used to in OS9?

Finally, is there a chance that running the Apple disk utility might find something and fix it? How about a utility like Drive 10? Do they have TechTool for OSX yet?

Zoom  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2003, 01:41 PM

keston, somehow our posts crossed - we must have been typing at the same time.

I haven't tried a firmware update, I assumed the problem with with the OS. It's discouraging to know that multiple OS re-installs haven't helped.

How can this be happening? How can this be any different than what Apple is producing? What are we missing?

And many people report success with this.

We must be missing something. I'm going to have to scour the stuff over on xlr8yourmac, though their server seems to be down right now.

Sven G
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2003, 03:03 PM

You could try to disable sleep in the energy saver preference pane (System Preferences); many people have reported trouble with the Pioneer DVR-105 with the default drive sleep configuration: it should rather be set to "never" for the drive to operate successfully on some Power Mac configurations, AFAIK...

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

Zoom  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2003, 02:24 PM

I've disable the "put hard drive to sleep when possible" option, or whatever that is on the Energy Saver panel. I've determined that the kernel panic seems to happen when it wakes up or restarts with a DVD in the burner. At least that's when it's happened the three times that it's happened.

Can anyone help find a definitive answer on this? It's really hard to read the posts on xlr8yourmac, it's just random order bits from people who seem with a particular hardware configuration. Hasn't anyone actually figured out what the key variables are to this equation? What causes this problem? What's missing? And how does one fix it??

Forum Links
Forum Rules