Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Speakers for iMac (bear with me)

Speakers for iMac (bear with me)
WJMoore
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 2, 2003, 11:50 PM

I know this is a common topic and I have searched for and read the previous posts. I am after a set of speakers to enhance the audio out of my iMac. At first I was thinking of getting an iSub (via eBay) to complement the Pro speakers that came with the iMac. However the iSub apparently has issues regarding not muting and for the same price I can get a whole set of speakers.

At this point I began my quest. I want a set of 2.1 speakers for listening to music, I don't do any gaming. I primarily listen to Trance and its variants, for those that don' know what that is you would probably label it, "techno". Basically good bass is very important but nice clean treble is also appreciated. I would like something with a bit of volume and also something that is asthetically pleasing. Finally I don't want to spend much more than AU$200 (US$127). From what I've read my ideal choice would be the Promedia 2.1 units but they're way out of my budget.

The JBL Creatures look cool but from what I've read they don't cut it audio wise. I don't mind the look of the Creative I-TRIGUE 2.1 3300's but they seem a bit underpowered, I don't like the look of the 3500's. Cambridge SoundWorks units look good but are out of my price range however Creative use CSW speakers (since they are the same company now). The Altec Lansing 621's or 2100's seem pretty good, most of the other threads didn't mention them, I assume because they are new. I'm currently leaning towards the 621's. Monsoon speakers have also been mentioned and I can get some of the 9 ones (can't remember the model number) for $199 but I'm not overly turned on by their looks but I welcome input on their audio quality. Also all references to their speakers seem to have been removied from their web site

So if you've had experience with any of the following or have some other suggestions or comments please share them.

Thanks,
Wesley

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 3, 2003, 12:23 AM

I invested in the Altec Lansing 621s that you have already been looking in to and could not say enough good things about them. At their price point, they are, IMO, the best sounding speakers available. Unlike the somewhat popular Logitech equivalents, they actually have a much more definded mid-range and better hi's. If you're looking for non-audiophile 2.1 computer speakers, the Altec Lansings come highly recommended.

See if you can audition a few different sets of speakers at a local Best Buy. They usually carry some Cambridge Soundworks, Altec Lansing, Logitech and one other popular brand that I can't think of right now.

You remind me my wife… why you laugh? She dead. | sasper at gmail dot com

WJMoore  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 3, 2003, 01:04 AM

Originally posted by Steve:
I invested in the Altec Lansing 621s that you have already been looking in to and could not say enough good things about them. At their price point, they are, IMO, the best sounding speakers available. Unlike the somewhat popular Logitech equivalents, they actually have a much more definded mid-range and better hi's. If you're looking for non-audiophile 2.1 computer speakers, the Altec Lansings come highly recommended.

See if you can audition a few different sets of speakers at a local Best Buy. They usually carry some Cambridge Soundworks, Altec Lansing, Logitech and one other popular brand that I can't think of right now.
Thanks, that's great to hear. Unfortunately we don't have Best Buy here in AU and the nearest equivalent requires some effort to get to so I'm trying to research as much as possible online.

rhogue islander
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2003, 12:10 PM

I would do a search for reviews on the Planar Media 14's and 9's for reports on their sound quality.

I have two pairs of Monsoon's here: one set of MM 1000's and one set of Planar Media 14's.

While the two sets are similar, the newer PM 14's have a damping pad that limits output to the rear of the panels and a subwoofer whose output is a tad high for my tastes (there is a bass level adjustment on the sound puck so you can turn it down) but its extension and power capability are impressive for its price. The puck features a headphone jack which is a nice touch

I like both sets but would give the nod to the older MM 1000's for what I feel is an overall more accurate and spacious presentation.

I've used many sets of cone speakers on my computers and in my home hifi. It's hard to beat planar dipoles for seamless midrange and treble integration (no crossover) with a wide soundstage. Sounds much more lifelike to me.

engaged
Location: Close to the sea and a place with a big, big castle...
Sep 3, 2003, 01:59 PM

From what I've heard on these and other forums, the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1's are amongst (if not, the) best - THX certified too, which is testament to their quality. May be out of your price range..?

If I hadn't been given Soundsticks for Christmas last year, I would have Klipsch ProMedia 2.1's.

Klipsch

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2003, 02:38 PM

Monsoon Multimedia is no more.

But a lot of places still sell the Planar Media 14's, which is what I have and they are great.

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 3, 2003, 03:07 PM

Originally posted by engaged:
From what I've heard on these and other forums, the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1's are amongst (if not, the) best - THX certified too, which is testament to their quality. May be out of your price range..?

If I hadn't been given Soundsticks for Christmas last year, I would have Klipsch ProMedia 2.1's.

Klipsch
That's the other brand I was trying to think of yesterday, but it slipped my memory. The only problem with the Klipsch's is that they are expensive when compared to other brands of similar speakers. There is a great deal on refurbished ProMedia's, but not for the 2.1 set.

istallion
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2003, 06:57 PM

Klipsch
What Klipsch and other computer speakers have is the THX Multimedia cert. This is almost meaningless aside from the marketing advantages of the THX logo. That's not to say the Klipsch or the Logitech z560's that I have aren't good. They are both great.
You'll have to tweak your EQ to get the logitechs competitive with the Klipschs.

WJMoore  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 3, 2003, 09:04 PM

Klipsch
Yeah I'd be getting those if I had double my budget. They certainly sound like the best you can get in their class.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 3, 2003, 10:16 PM

I personally happen to think that Klipsch speakers sound muddy.

Try Altec Lansing, or Cambridge Soundworks (CSW) (www.hifi.com). CSW and Creative are now separate lines of speakers... the classic CSW models still exist, but only directly from CSW.

tooki

arnette
Forum Regular
Sep 3, 2003, 11:38 PM

Don't blow your money. I have Altec Lansing's ATP3 and they have more bass than you could handle.

I don't know if they make them anymore, but I'm sure you'd be able to find them- and cheap, too.
iBook 12" 900Mhz

WJMoore  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 4, 2003, 12:29 AM

Originally posted by arnette:
Don't blow your money. I have Altec Lansing's ATP3 and they have more bass than you could handle.

I don't know if they make them anymore, but I'm sure you'd be able to find them- and cheap, too.
Just to clarify: Is that a don't blow you're money on the Promedia's (not that I have enough enough money to blow on the them anyway) and get the Altec's as they are more than adequate?

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 4, 2003, 12:54 AM

Have you thought about investing in a nice set of headphones? You could get a great set in your price range.

WJMoore  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 4, 2003, 07:50 AM

Originally posted by Steve:
Have you thought about investing in a nice set of headphones? You could get a great set in your price range.
No I haven't, but I want to fill the room with sound, not just my head . However I did recently buy some MDR-EX71SL's for my iPod and I'm loving those.

Link
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2003, 08:25 AM

Personally I'd still say pick up an isub. Overstock.com carries them for $40 and you already have the pro speakers.

Only problem is, of course, you can't take them and use them if you get a new computer.. as I doubt apple will continue with the pro speaker jack soon. Who knows?

I did, however, get an isub.. and pro speakers.. as I couldn't afford the soundsticks and prefered the look. The isub IS awesome and adds a REALLY nice boom to the combination..

In fact the pro speakers alone sound like crap without the isub.. which brings it up to par with most speakers

The muting thing is true, instead you have to turn volume all the way down.. a serious annoyance and one I wish apple would fix.. too >

Otherwise you can always get monsoon speakers.. I've heard they're nothing short of superb and altec isn't half bad either... they typically use fiberboard enclosures and have a good, heavy bass to them.

Klipsch speakers are nothing but awesome, granted you have the money.
Aloha

legionare
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 4, 2003, 12:29 PM

Originally posted by CheesePuff:
Monsoon Multimedia is no more.

But a lot of places still sell the Planar Media 14's, which is what I have and they are great.
ARGHHHHHHHHH, so where do I get support for my MM-702? Does the phone number on the product manual still work? (I'll have to check after work.)

WJMoore  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 5, 2003, 01:27 AM

Originally posted by Link:
Personally I'd still say pick up an isub. Overstock.com carries them for $40 and you already have the pro speakers.
Keep in mind that I'm in Australia. US$40 + US$40 (at least) shipping (if they do international shipping) = AU$125 - more than half my budget on just a sub. Whereas I can get a complete system with a lot more power for AU$75 more.

This is indeed the decision I have made. I placed an order for Altec 621's. Should arrive next week sometime.

WJMoore  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 11, 2003, 11:03 AM

Update: Got the 621's today. Incredibly clear treble, awesome bass and very loud. I'm very happy with them so far. thanks to all those who contributed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules