Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Best PBook RAM options: sometimes Apple RAM IS cheapest

Best PBook RAM options: sometimes Apple RAM IS cheapest
nagromme
Senior User
Sep 24, 2003, 03:46 PM

In case this helps anyone: I've done the math to see what the most economical RAM strategies are for the new PowerBooks.

My conclusion: any way you stack it, IF you want MORE than 1 GB RAM, upgrade the first slot to 1 GB using APPLE RAM for US$400 (non-edu price). Don't just stick 1 GB third party RAM in the empty slot. My instinct was never pay Apple RAM prices--but in this situation, it's the best. (Not an option with the 12" of course--the RAM in "slot 1" is permanent.)

But whether you leave the first slot at Apple's default or upgrade to 1 GB, the SECOND slot should use third-party RAM. (I like Other World at eshop.macsales.com, or transintl.com, but I've seen good reports of crucial.com too. And dealram.com will price-compare Mac RAM from many sources--some companies I've never heard of do go even cheaper.)

The more MB you buy for that second slot, the more each MB costs, so in a sense, adding the smallest (256 MB) third-party RAM is most economical. If that's all you can afford, it's a good deal, but in OS X, the more RAM the better. So 512 MB third-party RAM in the second slot, for about $120, is my recommendation--no matter what's in the first slot--because it's almost as cheap per MB as 256.

Adding a full 1 GB third-party RAM to the second slot is QUITE expensive now--around $650. If you want the maximum RAM, maybe you should leave that slot empty for half a year and let prices come down, or put in 256/512 now, which you'll discard later.

Summary: I think the three best RAM strategies are:

a) 512 MB third-party RAM in slot 2. (Gives you 1 GB in a high-end PBook, or 768 MB in a low-end.)

Or better yet, if you have the money (and not the 12"):

b) 1 GB Apple RAM in slot 1, AND 512 MB third-party RAM in slot 2. (Gives you 1.5 GB--that's what I'll get if I decide to get a PowerBook.)

Or for MAXIMUM RAM:

c) 1 GB Apple RAM in slot 1, and leave slot 2 empty for now, for prices to fall on another GB from a third party.

Also remember that if you order this week, edu buyers can get a $69 iPod (See my thread below.) And ANYONE can get a free printer (or $100-off printer/scanner all-in-one) this week--but that deal is likely to be replaced by something similar anyway. And if you wait, you can get 10.3 Panther with your PowerBook. Panther's due this year and it looks like an amazing upgrade, so I'm waiting for that before deciding whether to buy. (I know if you buy just BEFORE Panther you'll probably get a $20 coupon for it--but the date is unknown. Macrumors.com and others speculate on October 24 as a possibility.)

Hope that's useful to someone...
( Last edited by nagromme; Sep 24, 2003 at 04:32 PM. )
nagromme

Fellow2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2003, 05:06 AM

It is usefull and I appreciate you taking the time to post it. Thank you.

GENERAL_SMILEY
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 25, 2003, 05:41 AM

clever.
I have Mac

StiZeven
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2003, 07:11 AM

Yes, if I've sort of touched on this in another thread:
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=177781

Apple's BTO page is offering a 1GB stick (1 stick) upgrade for $500 from base which is pretty decent (it's only a $100 upgrade from 2 512MB sticks so if want to add more memory in the future, this is your best bet). For anyone who didn't yet grab one, I'd get the 1GB upgrade leaving the other slot free for a cheap Crucial 512MB stick or just live with 1GB in one slot and upgrade to 2GB when the price falls again. Then again, you'll pay TAX with the Apple store, which could even things out.

Sandbaggins
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 25, 2003, 07:44 AM

Great info I'm buying a 15" PB this weekend and that info will come in handy.
15" 1.25/512/80/5400/SD/AE Aluminum Powerbook

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 25, 2003, 08:55 AM

Something else to bear in mind is that some places (Macconnection being an example) will add an extra 512MB of RAM to some machines for no extra cost. For a lot of people they'll get around sales tax and get more RAM at the same time.

When I got my TiSD there earlier this year they also sent me the two 256MB DIMMs it originally came with in an anti-static bag as well!

DZimmerman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2003, 10:38 AM

I have been told to use a reputable 3rd party for ram. The three copmanies that I see as the most reputable is Crucial, Viking and PNY. Can anyone give me the best recommendation of these three? I recently bought the new 15" Al with the standard 256 and I want to get another 512 for slot two.

Thanks for any thoughts.

C-Bear
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2003, 02:20 PM

Originally posted by DZimmerman:
I have been told to use a reputable 3rd party for ram. The three copmanies that I see as the most reputable is Crucial, Viking and PNY. Can anyone give me the best recommendation of these three?
I can speak for Crucial � I've used them and they're great. Easy selection process at their site, free (fast) shipping on orders over, I think, $35 (or thereabouts). Cost with them is slightly on the higher end (but nowhere near Apple-gouging levels), but you're getting top-quality RAM and excellent support.
When the wine is bitter, become the
wine

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 25, 2003, 02:45 PM

I second crucial. Top quality. I pay for a quality machine, I put in quality ram. Period.

Apple wanted $270 (EDU) to put a 512 Stick in my BTO 12", Crucial wanted $129. Yeah I couldv'e found it for about $105 elsewhere, but with Crucial's quality, and what Apple wanted - thats a deal any way you cut it.

Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

nagromme  (op)
Senior User
Sep 25, 2003, 04:19 PM

I've had no problems with transintl.com RAM, and recently tried eshop.macsales.com RAM too. Both come widely recommended. I never tried Crucial. I did try Viking and had one of two modules go bad spontaneously after a few years. Not sure if that single instance means much though.

A free 512 MB from a reseller has a value of $90 or so after you take into account the typical $30 installation charge--not a bad savings. It's still financially better to get the Apple BTO 1 GB in slot 1, though, if you plan on MORE than 1 GB total.

Now, if you can find a reseller that offers Apple's BTO (a few do, right?) AND will throw in the free 512 in slot 2, that sounds ideal!
nagromme

nagromme  (op)
Senior User
Sep 27, 2003, 01:25 AM

Here's the math:

It only costs $400 to upgrade slot 1 to 1 GB from Apple--seemingly a lot, but then you can add 512 MB from a 3rd party for $120. Total cost: $520 to go from 512 MB to 1.5 GB.

If, instead, you leave it stock with 512 and then order 1 GB for slot 2 from a 3rd party, you get the same 1.5GB--but for a cost of $650-$700.

Thus, if you want more than 1 GB, getting more Apple RAM is best! (If you only want 1GB, just add 512 of 3rd-party RAM to slot 2 of course.)
nagromme

nagromme  (op)
Senior User
Sep 27, 2003, 01:29 AM

I just realized: the default 17" has 512 in slot 1 as I described... but the 15" has 256x2. (You must pay $100 to get that 512 all in slot 1... and the 1 GB for slot 1 is $500--more than it costs for the 17".)

The math comes out the same, though--my strategy is still best: even if you want only 3rd party RAM in slot 2, you have to pay the extra $100 or you end up throwing away half of the stock 512!
( Last edited by nagromme; Sep 27, 2003 at 02:47 AM. )
nagromme

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2003, 01:59 AM

I just hope that by the time the G5 Powerbooks come rolling out of the factories, the 1 gig ram sticks will be a lot lot cheaper, like around $300 or less, than I'll be happy. If it is, than for sure my next Powerbook will have 2 gigs of ram.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

Daytonaaaaa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2003, 06:22 AM

This question maybe off-topic, but anyhow...

If you upgrade the RAM of the powerbook yourself, will the original warranty be voided? How about if I have AppleCare with the powerbook also?

Daytona

nagromme  (op)
Senior User
Sep 27, 2003, 04:13 PM

As I understand it, you can change the RAM yourself without hurting the warranty. Same with the AirPort card. (Just leave the HD alone--unless you have a TiBook!)
nagromme

Forum Links
Forum Rules