Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > [car thread] toyota scion xa, xb

[car thread] toyota scion xa, xb
deekay1
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2003, 05:40 AM

what do you think of these cars...?

scion

hedonist, anarchist, agnostic, mac enthusiast and a strong believer in evolution and the yellow m&m conspiracy

dillerX
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2003, 05:46 AM

That would make a kick ass pit-cart

Example:
I tried to sig-spam the forums.
ADVANTAGE Motorsports Marketing, Inc. • speedXdesign, Inc.

Sven G
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2003, 05:54 AM

The xB, in particular (see the first photo above), looks rather antiquated...

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2003, 06:05 AM

Originally posted by deekay1:
what do you think of these cars...?

scion
I think there's way too many wannabe homosexuals in the car design industry.
If it doesn't scare hippies, it's not worth listening to

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2003, 06:39 AM

I think it's going to be Toyota's version of the PT Cruiser. Some focus group/suit & tie collaboration produces a vehicle they think will be the Next Big Thing with the Under 30 crowd... When in reality, no-one under 30 would really want to be seen in it. The PT Cruiser is an "old people" car and that bread box Scion will likely become one, too. I never see the targeted demographic behind the wheel of a PT Cruiser or Honda's Element, for that matter.

That being said, I don't think it's necessarily fair that vehicles are labeled by who drives them. If you're 22 and want a PT Cruiser, go for it. Just like a guy should be able to drive a VW New Beetle without getting weird looks. Drive whatever does it for you!
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

kovacs
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2003, 07:01 AM

Woow, damn, that's ugly....

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2003, 08:36 AM

Just what we need, another small SUV.

P.S. It's UGLY!

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2003, 12:51 PM

i kinda like that car, then again i think the honda element looks pretty cool too.

boxy is pretty cool to me.

wifedoer68
Banned
Oct 14, 2003, 02:36 PM

I don't like em, but I appreciate the fact that they don't look like every other jellybean car on the road.

- Ca$h

boardsurfer
Oct 14, 2003, 02:55 PM

I like the Element a lot, but that thing is just obnoxious. My wife keeps teasing me that she wants one. Man I hope she is kidding.

klinux
Senior User
Oct 14, 2003, 03:06 PM

Scions are Corolla-based and are thus not SUVs. Drove one six months ago. They have been available in California for a while. The xB is ROOMY. It's like a lving room on wheels.
One iMac, iBook, one iPod, way too many PCs.

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2003, 03:18 PM

It's horrible and I hope they'll never bring it to europe.

xylon
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 14, 2003, 03:28 PM

Absolutely hideous. My friend wanted one (or maybe it was that Honda one?) and I was close to literally beating the idea out of her.

^Thanks to sealobo
Viva le ScrollWheel!

Demonhood
Administrator
Oct 14, 2003, 03:40 PM

they're fairly repulsive in person.
i half expect sponge-bob squarepants to emerge from the driver's side when i see them at the supermarket.

klinux
Senior User
Oct 14, 2003, 05:53 PM

I could care less about how it looks but rather how well it suit might my needs. xB can carry a lot of sh1t for such low price. I might get one.
One iMac, iBook, one iPod, way too many PCs.

c_rowe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2004, 05:33 PM

Originally posted by klinux:
Scions are Corolla-based and are thus not SUVs. Drove one six months ago. They have been available in California for a while. The xB is ROOMY. It's like a lving room on wheels.
The xA and the xB are actually based on the Toyota Echo, and serve to replace it as Toyota's main compact youth-targeted offerings. The comment above regarding failed demographics is absolutely false. According to articles I've read, it is now has the youngest average age buyer (35) in the entire automobile industry, replacing VW (38). The brand has also tripled sales projections in its first year in California. The tC is a less controversial, more sales volume based car that will launch nationally in June. It is based on the European Toyota Avensis sedan, but is a two-door coupe.
One thing that is unquestionable in Scions is their value. There is no other brand that offers the low price, eye-catching (whether from attraction or revulsion) design and sterling quality that Scion does. By the way, the materials used in Scions, like the sound-deadening materials, were borrowed from the Lexus parts bin. No one can honestly say that Lexus' materials aren't among the best in the industry.
People who dislike Scions remind me of those who dislike Macs... they can't seem to see past an entrenched design philosophy and interface so they condemn an entire brand.
( Last edited by c_rowe; May 26, 2004 at 12:13 AM. )

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
May 25, 2004, 05:42 PM

It's an SUV.

No. It's a CAR.

Wait, it's a SCAR. (fugly)

Link
Professional Poster
May 25, 2004, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by Demonhood:
they're fairly repulsive in person.
i half expect sponge-bob squarepants to emerge from the driver's side when i see them at the supermarket.
ROFLMAO! Best quote ever.

I like the little box on wheels.. it's so funny looking and unusual unlike every jellybean car on the planet (cash hit this right on the head)..

To those who call it an suv: in the 80's there was this kind of car that was really popular for many years for big families.. it was called the wagon.

SUV = wagon on truck frame

scion xb = wagon with really boxy exterior. It's by no means an SUV and I HOPE nobody gets that idea by buying one. It's not really made for 3000 mile trips either, but trips across town, down to the other side of the bay maybe.. who knows. It does look like a get in/get out easy car.. which is one thing I love to see in cars that I rarely see. It seems like most cars today are like squeezing into tin cans.

What dissapoints me the most is that the Japanese companies like Toyota are begining to totally jump the European car industry.. while Europe is busy making their japan-wannabe cars, Japense companies are making something new -- I always thought it was supposed to be the other way around.

No big complaints about quality either -- some of these are made side by side on the same assembly lines as chevy cars.
Aloha

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
May 25, 2004, 06:04 PM

Forum Necromancy!

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 25, 2004, 07:07 PM

Interesting vehicles, that's for sure.

About the xB: I hope you can fold the rear seat down flat. It looks like it would be an excellent car for college kids, if you could fold the seat down. The reason: moving.

If they're just hoping for "kids without a lot of money", though, they're going to have to do better than this.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

selfabduction68
Baninated
May 25, 2004, 08:38 PM

- $

Link
Professional Poster
May 25, 2004, 09:53 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
About the xB: I hope you can fold the rear seat down flat. It looks like it would be an excellent car for college kids, if you could fold the seat down. The reason: moving.
I'm pretty sure you can
Aloha

Forum Links
Forum Rules