Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Trying to install Windows in VPC

Trying to install Windows in VPC
Jbroad572
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 16, 2003, 04:07 AM

Ok I have installed Win XP pro (volume edition) on my PB using VPC. This is the second copy I have tried and 2nd PB I've tried. The problem I run into is after installation everything is in classic view, the programs are not installed, (IE, WMA, etc) There is hardly anything. Is there a setting on my PB that is limiting me? I don't think it'd the install of XP since it's 2 seperate disks that Ive tried and the same results and also this is a brand new PB yielding the same results. Any ideas? Shouldn't it have all the regular programs and network access?
17" Apple Powerbook 1.33ghz

Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 16, 2003, 08:41 AM

Originally posted by Jbroad572:
Ok I have installed Win XP pro (volume edition) on my PB using VPC. This is the second copy I have tried and 2nd PB I've tried. The problem I run into is after installation everything is in classic view, the programs are not installed, (IE, WMA, etc)
Are you saying that the computer starts up in Classic (OS 9) and you can't find your programs or that when you start up in Win XP you can't find the programs? Is there any option in the Win XP installer that you're selecting/de-selecting?

There is hardly anything. Is there a setting on my PB that is limiting me? I don't think it'd the install of XP since it's 2 seperate disks that Ive tried and the same results and also this is a brand new PB yielding the same results. Any ideas? Shouldn't it have all the regular programs and network access?
There shouldn't be anything on your Powerbook that is limiting the installation of Windows since the system software and Windows aren't communicating directly with each other other than if you're not logged in as an admin during the VPC installation, but then it would give an error/prompt. What do you mean with "I don't think it'd the install of XP since it's 2 seperate disks that Ive tried"? Are there two discs for the installation or are there two separate XP installation discs?

Did the installation of VPC go alright? Did you actually install XP to the VPC disk image or are you just starting XP from the install CD?

Jbroad572  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 16, 2003, 01:06 PM

Ok, let me better explain it. I have Virtual PC installed and I installed Windows XP. Windows installed, but my Windows does not install correctly. After the install it starts up and Windows is in classic mode. I have no programs like IE, Outlook, WMP, or anything. My desktop is clean. No pretty blue XP anywhere. It's a plain green background and everything looks like it's Win 98 or 2000. I'm missing everything. I can't connect on the internet, because I don't have the IE icon. This is the second time I have tried installing XP through VPC and this is on my second PB. Is there a setting in VPC or maybe my install that is causing this?

RodriCO2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 16, 2003, 02:31 PM

Your installation problems have nothing at all to do with the new PB. I have Windows XP Pro installed on my computer and while it game me probs at firs it now works flawlessly.

There might be a problem with your installation of Windows itself.

I recomend you delete all Hard Drive images and start with a fresh new copy of VPC. Create a new HD image and install Win XP to it. Boot into VPC witgh the Win XP CD format it using the included utilities to NTFS....

I had some of the same issues in which the look of Win XP was awkward with missing apps and such....... this solved my problem, I blamed it on a faulty Win XP installation so I just started from scrath..... Hope this helps...
Its not the fact that life is fact, but that life itself is a fact of the unknown....

Jbroad572  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 16, 2003, 11:37 PM

Ok, I deleted everything and started from scratch. I loaded VPC and used the Win XP profile. Next I captured the cd image and selected to format the HD NTFS like you said. After that the computer restarted and it began doing its install process. I dont think it's going to work again, because all the windows within the install setup are in the classic view once again and from what I can recall with previous installs this used to not be. I don't understand what else it could be. Do you think my copy of VPC is faulty by chance?

Jbroad572  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 17, 2003, 12:28 AM

Hey IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!! WOOHOO!!!!!!!
Thanks so much for your help.

Forum Links
Forum Rules