Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Popping Noise

Popping Noise
MrNo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2003, 06:50 PM

I am getting tired of this PB. Every time I open an app, or when I wake the computer from sleep, even while it's booting I hear popping noise. I send it to Apple and they told me there was no noise. This is happening in both Panther and Jaguar. So how many people are experiencing this problems, I mean is this normal or no. I'm tempted to just sell it. Worst Mac I've ever had. O yeah it's a 12" rev. A

xylon
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2003, 06:55 PM

Originally posted by MrNo:
I am getting tired of this PB. Every time I open an app, or when I wake the computer from sleep, even while it's booting I hear popping noise. I send it to Apple and they told me there was no noise. This is happening in both Panther and Jaguar. So how many people are experiencing this problems, I mean is this normal or no. I'm tempted to just sell it. Worst Mac I've ever had. O yeah it's a 12" rev. A
I'm not sure if this is the same problem that 17" users experience. If it is, it's happening because the system puts your sound to sleep to save the battery. If this is the case, then it is in fact normal. And if you want to get rid of it, look for a little application called keepsoundawake. Other users have used it and said that it eliminates the popping noise, although I discerned no difference when I installed it.

^Thanks to sealobo
Viva le ScrollWheel!

nate_02
Senior User
Oct 28, 2003, 07:42 PM

I had a continuous popping noise on my 15" when it started up and when I opened applications and it ended up being a bad HD.
-nate

MrNo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2003, 07:58 PM

Originally posted by xylon:
I'm not sure if this is the same problem that 17" users experience. If it is, it's happening because the system puts your sound to sleep to save the battery. If this is the case, then it is in fact normal. And if you want to get rid of it, look for a little application called keepsoundawake. Other users have used it and said that it eliminates the popping noise, although I discerned no difference when I installed it.
That program didn't help I still get the noise.
Maybe it's a bad hard drive who knows. I'll have to send it again, but what's the point if they ignore it like the first time. And this is not the only problem with it. Processor heats up to 63 degrees Celsius regulary it's like an owen

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2003, 07:59 PM

This problem is normal on Powerbooks... 99% of the Powerbooks out there have this, so don't worry about it. I can't hear it anyways unless the room is totally quite.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

Keda
Senior User
May 24, 2004, 10:33 AM

I found this thread on a search. Has there been any new fixes for the 'pop?' This incessant popping is driving me crazy. Its is very distracting. I am running 10.3.3 and don't remember having this trouble in the past.

I've tried keeping my Mac muted, restarting, and quitting apps, but the problems persists. The strangest thing is that the popping comes and goes. It will be quiet for a while, then go into a fit of popping for ten minutes or so.

iREZ
Professional Poster
May 24, 2004, 11:44 AM

I never get popping noise unless my 12" is hooked up to my Altec Lansing speakers, is there a place on the PB where the noise is most noticable. I haven't heard anything soo far but you could never be too safe. I ask because alot of people mention its hard to hear with sound around you, and its virtually inaudible (so what would be the problem if its that low?).
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Keda
Senior User
May 25, 2004, 11:01 PM

This thing is driving me crazy!!!!

I was in class this evening and people were turning to look and see what the noise was. Its not very loud, but in a quiet room its booming.

If anyone has any news, please post. I'm going to contact Apple in the AM.

Forum Links
Forum Rules