Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Adding Bluetooth to G5

Adding Bluetooth to G5
jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2003, 11:58 AM

When I ordered my G5, I didn't even think about adding the Bluetooth option. I guess I just overlooked it or something. Anyway, although I don't really have a use for it just yet, I'd like to add the factory module. Is that possible? I wasn't able to find it in the Apple store online. I don't want to use some external USB device if I don't have to.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2003, 12:11 PM

Nope, you can't install a factory module after it has left the factory... You'll have to go for an external item.

I use the D-Link adaptor and have no complaints...

-Q-
Oct 31, 2003, 12:15 PM

I have the same module and it works flawlessy with my phone and BT mouse. Other than taking up a USB port, you don't really see it.

jasonsRX7  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2003, 03:17 PM

Oh well, guess I'll just get the external one then, if I absolutely *have to use BT.

Thanks for the answers.

kikkoman
Senior User
Oct 31, 2003, 04:14 PM

Is the external BT module required to be plugged directly into the machine or will it work on a hub. If I had a Cinema display I would like to plug the BT module into it's USB port.

hadocon
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2003, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by kikkoman:
Is the external BT module required to be plugged directly into the machine or will it work on a hub. If I had a Cinema display I would like to plug the BT module into it's USB port.
It works in a hub. I have mine attached to my keyboard. I have also connected it to my display without any problems
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

roders
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2003, 09:47 PM

After running the Hardware Test CD, I noticed it say's I have built in Bluetooth, (I ordered the Stock G5 without Bluetooth).
Although it's not present in ASP, weird...

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2003, 10:29 PM

Does anyone have a photo of the bluetooth midule? I just recieved my dual G5 and form what I have read it look like the module is installed. The antenna cable comes out of it and stores in a clip right by the airport card. I have looked at the board and there is absolutly no place that it could mount. If it is there where is the antenna cable supposed to go so I can verify what i got? I am going to run the hardware test and see what it says.

Mr. Bear
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2003, 04:06 AM

The built-in BT module in a Dual G5 is located beneath the speaker/fan area, you may have to gently pull aside the speaker/fan to see it.

It is a small rectangular daughter board that is attached to the corner of the motherboard below the speaker/fan assembly with two corner screws. If you have BT installed, you should see the BT wire connect to the board, instead of hanging off the clip right beside the AE cardslot.

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2003, 09:45 PM

There is a module there that is attatched with two screws. The antenna cable isn't hooked up but you can see the module under the speaker/fan module. I am going to call Apple and see what they say, couldn't hurt.

-Q-
Nov 2, 2003, 01:22 AM

Cool. I wonder if connecting those wires will then give you bluetooth? Although you won't have the antenna to help boost the signal...

striker100
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 2, 2003, 08:27 AM

What's the big deal? I'm using the dlink bluetooth dongle with my G5 together with the bluetooth mouse & keyboard.

It works great both with a hub or connected to the G5 and I can remove it & put it on another Mac or PC when I want.

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2003, 10:12 AM

No big deal for me. It's just if the module is there, and I didn't order it, I might as well have it hooked up. I guess Apple could bo the other wa and tell me to forget it or ask for it back but i doubt they will. They may offer to hookup the antenna for a fee or be realy nice and do it for free.

phantomac
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2003, 11:56 AM

Originally posted by southtdi:
No big deal for me. It's just if the module is there, and I didn't order it, I might as well have it hooked up. I guess Apple could bo the other wa and tell me to forget it or ask for it back but i doubt they will. They may offer to hookup the antenna for a fee or be realy nice and do it for free.
Not meaning to destroy your hopes, but what you're seeing is probably just the built-in modem of your G5.

opheim
Feb 12, 2004, 06:25 AM

I find it weird that Apple doesn't offer the internal module for sale. I would much rather have that than wasting a USB port in order to get bluetooth on my G5. As it happens, I have used all three USB ports as it is, and I would rather avoid having to use a USB hub just to get bluetooth...

However, I may have found a way around it. I'll post more when I get word...
Hallvard Opheim
Dual 2GHz G5, 9800Pro, 2.5GB, BT, iSight
PB17 1GHz, 1GB

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2004, 09:23 AM

Originally posted by opheim:
I find it weird that Apple doesn't offer the internal module for sale.
Call me paranoid, but I guess it's in order to make the AppleStore more interesting than just buying at a local dealer...

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2004, 11:25 AM

You can buy the G5 Bluetooth module as a service part, if you know someone who can order service parts (an authorized repair place like CompUSA, etc).
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2004, 11:28 AM

Originally posted by Arkham_c:
You can buy the G5 Bluetooth module as a service part, if you know someone who can order service parts (an authorized repair place like CompUSA, etc).
Good idea. Maybe I'll try that instead of having a USB port taken up.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 12, 2004, 02:01 PM

Another note that may intrest you is that "supposedly" if you have built in bluetooth (from apple), you can use the BT Keyboard to boot your machine from cd's. (this is what apple says). However, if you have a USB BT Adapter, you must plug the old keyboard back into the machine in order to boot from a cd. I believe the latter is the case, because my BT mouse does not work when the machine is installing 10.3 with my d-link adapter. Any thoughts ?
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2004, 02:45 PM

Hmmmm, wasn't aware of the boot requirement but that is good to know.

For those G5 owners out there that want the internal bluetooth module Small dog carries both the module and antenna. The parts are by no means not cheap ($150 range) but it doesn't take long to install and hookup.

I am going this route simply because I absoulutly have to have the USB port on the back and the devices that need the port don't work correctly off a hub.

jasonsRX7  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2004, 03:01 PM

I should have added BT when I ordered my system, but I was in a hurry to get it and didn't want to increase the ship time. I don't want to increase cable clutter, which is why I don't want to use a dlink adapter or usb hub.

-Q-
Feb 12, 2004, 03:14 PM

For those G5 owners out there that want the internal bluetooth module Small dog carries both the module and antenna. The parts are by no means not cheap ($150 range) but it doesn't take long to install and hookup.
If you can find a dealer who is willing to order it for you, you can get the parts for about $90. And let this be a lesson to us to pay the $50 at the time we order it.

striker100
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 12, 2004, 04:10 PM

I'm also using the Dlink bluetooth dongle on my G5 along with Apple's bluetooth mouse and keyboard.
It works flawlessly, I've used it with a usb hub, on the back of an Apple Cinema Display and plugged into the back of the G5 and it works perfectly all three ways.
I also forgot to order the bluetooth module when I ordered my G5 but it worked out well for me, I like the idea that I can just unplug it and use it with my PC, so bluetooth didn't cost me twice.

bimmerphile
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 12, 2004, 10:27 PM

OK, let's end the speculation.

Bluetooth module:

Apple Service Source Pages (2) concerning Bluetooth Module Replacement:

Page 1
Page 2

If you have that module, attach the antenna on the underside and you should be good to go.
-Kris Olson | 12" PBG4 1.5GHz

TiDual
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2004, 08:29 AM

Originally posted by bimmerphile:
OK, let's end the speculation.

Bluetooth module:

If you have that module, attach the antenna on the underside and you should be good to go.
Interesting. My 2x2 definitely has that card, even though I didn't BTO BT. I'm still not entirely clear what to "connect" where, to make it work. Also, shouldn't the system profile, and system preferences show it's existence, even if the antenna isn't connected?
( Last edited by TiDual; Feb 13, 2004 at 08:56 AM. )

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2004, 09:33 AM

Originally posted by -Q-:
If you can find a dealer who is willing to order it for you, you can get the parts for about $90. And let this be a lesson to us to pay the $50 at the time we order it.
That option wasn't avaiable to the refurbs, so $90 isn't bad considering I saved $600 on the Mac as it was.

Mike

-Q-
Feb 13, 2004, 11:00 AM

Originally posted by TiDual:
Interesting. My 2x2 definitely has that card, even though I didn't BTO BT. I'm still not entirely clear what to "connect" where, to make it work. Also, shouldn't the system profile, and system preferences show it's existence, even if the antenna isn't connected?
I'm betting the antenna is the 'switch' that turns the bluetooth module on and activates it in the system profiler. I'm definitely opening the G5 tonite to see if I have the module there...

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 13, 2004, 11:25 AM

That's not the module, that's the modem. The links you have show the bluetooth module and you'll notice that it is small enough when istalled that the fan/ speakker assembly hides it completely when they are in. If you pull the assembly to see the card you have circled you will se a black cable running form the left side (closest to the forn of the case) and that goes to the phone jack on the rear. The little tiny cable that is by the airport card is the one that has to be routed up there to plug into the bluetooth module. The modem does have to be unscrewed from the board to route the bluetooth cable underneath it since the cable is too short to go over the top of the modem.

bimmerphile
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 13, 2004, 12:34 PM

That's not the module, that's the modem. The links you have show the bluetooth module and you'll notice that it is small enough when istalled that the fan/ speakker assembly hides it completely when they are in. If you pull the assembly to see the card you have circled you will se a black cable running form the left side (closest to the forn of the case) and that goes to the phone jack on the rear. The little tiny cable that is by the airport card is the one that has to be routed up there to plug into the bluetooth module. The modem does have to be unscrewed from the board to route the bluetooth cable underneath it since the cable is too short to go over the top of the modem.
You are absolutely correct.

Thank you for pointing that out.
-Kris Olson | 12" PBG4 1.5GHz

-Q-
Feb 17, 2004, 05:38 PM

My Mac Tech buddy ordered the components for me to add BT to the G5. I'll do that tonight and let everyone know how it goes.

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 18, 2004, 12:54 AM

How much did it cost? Any details on how we can get the same parts? Did the antenna come with it? I look forward to hearing how well it went.

Mike

Vader�s Pinch of Death
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 18, 2004, 03:53 AM

I heard of a couple people who did it, it cost them $150 for the part plus they were warned they could void the warranty but the fools still wanted to do it for the geek factor.

"If it's broke, you choke."

-Q-
Feb 18, 2004, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by starman:
How much did it cost? Any details on how we can get the same parts? Did the antenna come with it? I look forward to hearing how well it went.

Mike
Alas, I didn't get to install it last night as work again interfered with the fun time. But I did get to pick up the parts.

The whole shebang was US$90 for both the card and the antenna (I'll post pics of 'em tonight-they're so small it's kinda anti-climactic). I purchased them from a local Apple reseller, who also included copies of the G5 service manual relating to the Bluetooth card. Installation seems easy enough, you just have to remove a couple fans and then screw the card onto the MoBo and attached the antenna wire. I'll update you when I actually perform the procedure.

-Q-
Feb 18, 2004, 04:15 PM

Originally posted by Vader�s Pinch of Death:
I heard of a couple people who did it, it cost them $150 for the part plus they were warned they could void the warranty but the fools still wanted to do it for the geek factor.
I hope that was $150 canadian, otherwise they paid a little too much.

And I think the whole 'void the warranty' scare tactic is quite overblown. You just have to remove a couple fans and screw the card in place and attach an antenna. If the machine has to go in for warranty work, it's a simple matter to remove the card if you're worried.

opheim
Feb 19, 2004, 08:40 AM

Ok, I recieved the parts yesterday, and mounted them today. Made a small guide to show you how it's done. Enjoy...

Read the guide here: http://tersus.no/bluetooth/
Hallvard Opheim
PB17 1GHz, 1GB

jasonsRX7  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2004, 09:08 AM

Great guide, opheim, thanks! Do you have any recommendations where we can buy the parts online? I don't have any Apple parts dealers around here.

opheim
Feb 19, 2004, 10:12 AM

Not really, no... Sorry. Only one I've found online is smalldog.com. I got them through a local workshop here in Norway, so I'm guessing you don't consider that an option...

Talked to Apple Store about it, and they refused to sell the parts. Only option was to buy the DLink USB dongle.
Hallvard Opheim
PB17 1GHz, 1GB

-Q-
Feb 19, 2004, 10:21 AM

Definitely a great guide! Did the procedure last night and opheim's instructions are exactly how it should be done.

Although I got two screws with my BT card.

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 19, 2004, 10:32 AM

So the only advantage to the internal module is using the BT keyboard at boot time?

Either way, you're going to have something sticking out the back.

Mike

jasonsRX7  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2004, 10:36 AM

Originally posted by starman:
So the only advantage to the internal module is using the BT keyboard at boot time?
And not wasting a usb port, and keeping clutter down by not using a usb hub, and maintaining stock appearance.

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 19, 2004, 11:46 AM

As I stated before that is my main reason, needing the usb port. I need one port for the hub with items hooked into it I use all of the itme and the other is for another usb item that you cannot run off of a hub because it will not work corectly. I am going to call my local reseller about the part since I didn't order them yet form small dog. No offense to them but I think I can beat teh $150 us pice tag they are wanting.

-Q-
Feb 19, 2004, 01:16 PM

No offense to them but I think I can beat teh $150 us pice tag they are wanting.
You definitely can. You just need to find a reseller who's willing to order the part for you.

bpd115
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2004, 03:06 PM

all the talk about hubs has me wondering...can't you just add in a 4 port USB PCI card to the G5?

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 19, 2004, 03:27 PM

I'm sure you can. It shouldn't be any different than any other standard Mac-supported PCI card.

Mike

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 19, 2004, 05:28 PM

I didn't think you could add a PCI card to a PCI-X slot. I could be wrong but I could've sworn I read that in the documentation and in several articles i read. I don't know if there are any PCI-X USB cards out there but with how slow it is being adopted I wouldn't expect there to be one yet. I wouldn't mind a crad I saw for the PC which had two USB 2 and two firewire 400 ports on it. I could make use of that.

Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2004, 05:44 PM

Originally posted by jasonsRX7:
And not wasting a usb port, and keeping clutter down by not using a usb hub, and maintaining stock appearance.
Oh god for $90 for that part you can get a 6 port USB hub AND a bluetooth USB dongle.

This is NEAT but not at all cost effective.

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.

opheim
Feb 19, 2004, 05:51 PM

Originally posted by Immortal K-Mart Employee:
This is NEAT but not at all cost effective.
Well, being Mac-users, the thought of purchasing overpriced merchandise is not a total stranger to us, though...
Hallvard Opheim
PB17 1GHz, 1GB

Vader�s Pinch of Death
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 19, 2004, 08:03 PM

Originally posted by opheim:
Well, being Mac-users, the thought of purchasing overpriced merchandise is not a total stranger to us, though...
I don't find Mac overpriced. They do what they are supposed to do much better then cheap alternatives.

"If it's broke, you choke."

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 19, 2004, 09:02 PM

Since I'm using the USB ports on my Cinema Display, I went with the dongle. $24. Done.

Mike

phantomac
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2004, 03:22 AM

By the way, booting from CD works with the D-Link USB Bluetooth dongle, too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules