Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > New EyeTV

New EyeTV
Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2003, 06:29 AM

http://www.elgato.com/eyeTV/eyetv400.html (DVB-Terrestrial)

http://www.elgato.com/eyeTV/eyetv300.html (DVB-Satellite)

FireWire and DVB - quite an improvement on the old one.

A Formac Studio Killer?

I assume that since it's FireWire the codec will be DV. {edit - the Codec is in fact MPEG-2}

http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/...=1070010778000
( Last edited by Diggory Laycock; Nov 28, 2003 at 01:18 PM. )

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2003, 10:23 AM

wait...
so i need a dish to use either of these two models? i can't use my digital cable? that blooows....

i really wanted an EyeTV and was excited to read the new FW version...to bad we got rid of our dish afew months ago, oh well...

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2003, 10:56 AM

Okay, I don't understand. What is DVB? Can I use this with my cable service?

Diggory Laycock  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2003, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by GORDYmac:
Okay, I don't understand. What is DVB? Can I use this with my cable service?
http://www.dvb.org/

I should imagine it has composite/SVideo in - like the old one - so you could hook your Cable in like that. (of course it won't change channel for you on the STB though.)

DVB is a standard for digital TV - I believe that in the US and Japan you went for HDTV instead. (higher resolution, but fewer channels in the same bandwidth.)

The UK has a DVB-S (satellite - through a dish) system called Sky (which is encrypted so that won't work) and a DVB-T (terrestrial - over the air - like analogue) system called FreeView which is partly owned by the BBC.

biscool
Forum Regular
Nov 28, 2003, 02:07 PM

So these aren't for the US? I got my hopes up for a new eyetv.....

nerd
Senior User
Nov 28, 2003, 03:32 PM

Originally posted by biscool:
So these aren't for the US? I got my hopes up for a new eyetv.....
Nope, I got so excited when I first read it, then remembered that we (the US) use ATSC for digital TV. If you guys look at the screen shots you don't need a sat dish for both models, the 400 has an antenna for receiving the TV off air. That would be too cool, recording Alias in HD on my Mac.

I already emailed them begging for a ATSC version, maybe someday.

Brad

EDIT: Here's a map of the standards. http://www.dvb.org/graphics/internal/WAM-DVB-T.png

sandsl
Senior User
Nov 28, 2003, 05:28 PM

I'll be getting the EyeTV 300 model as soon as its available (early December) so I'll be sure to come back and post what I think.

Looks really impressive though - mobile, high quality digital tv for my powerbook!

Edit: Anyone know where I can order it in the UK? Can I even pre-order it yet here?
Luke

SunilC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2003, 07:01 PM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
http://www.dvb.org/

The UK has a DVB-S (satellite - through a dish) system called Sky (which is encrypted so that won't work) and a DVB-T (terrestrial - over the air - like analogue) system called FreeView which is partly owned by the BBC.

So the eyetv 200 definitely won't work with Sky?? I was really excited about being able to record off sky digital straight to my mac...it would be a much better solution than sky+ Who wants to record off crappy freeview channels!?! Out of curiosity, which satellite services (UK or not) will be able to use the eyetv 300?

Sunil

sandsl
Senior User
Nov 28, 2003, 07:35 PM

So the eyetv 200 definitely won't work with Sky??
EyeTV 300, and it doesn't look like it will.

Who wants to record off crappy freeview channels!?!
Everybody who doesn't have Sky maybe? BBC1, 2, Channel4 etc all have good stuff - some of which is worth recording/time shifting in a high quality digital format. Have you never wanted to record a programme shown on BBC1?

Out of curiosity, which satellite services (UK or not) will be able to use the eyetv 300?
"EyeTV 300 includes a satellite digital video broadcasting (DVB-S) tuner that receives perfect "free-to-air" digital quality television on the Mac via a digital satellite dish."
Luke

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Nov 29, 2003, 01:05 AM

Originally posted by nerd:
Nope, I got so excited when I first read it, then remembered that we (the US) use ATSC for digital TV. If you guys look at the screen shots you don't need a sat dish for both models, the 400 has an antenna for receiving the TV off air. That would be too cool, recording Alias in HD on my Mac.
EyeTv300 does requires a sateillite dish!
If you check the right hand side of the EyeTV300 page carefully, you can see this:

Satellite dish with digital or universal LNB (not included)

EyeTV400 has its own built-in antenna, but I would really interested to know if the built-in antenna is good enough to pick up the signal indoor.

Most of countries which broadbast DVB-T only broadbast in standard definition only (i.e. in 576i format). Australia does broadbast in HD mode (in 576p or 1080i format, depending on the network). Alias does broadbast in HD mode in Australia (in 576p format), but I guess the broadbast is about a year behind US?

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Nov 29, 2003, 01:23 AM

Originally posted by sandsl:
I'll be getting the EyeTV 300 model as soon as its available (early December) so I'll be sure to come back and post what I think.

Looks really impressive though - mobile, high quality digital tv for my powerbook!

Edit: Anyone know where I can order it in the UK? Can I even pre-order it yet here?
This Elgato page has information on how to order outside US (I hope it is up-to-date).

What DVB-S sateillite available in UK without encryption?? I thought that BSkyB is encrypted (therefore you need to subscribe), and therefore you can use EyeTV 300?

sandsl
Senior User
Nov 29, 2003, 07:11 AM

This Elgato page has information on how to order outside US (I hope it is up-to-date).
Unfortunately Elgato's UK distributor doesn't sell directly to end users - "We do not sell directly to end users (apart from clearance items and upgrades".

Looks like I'll have to wait.

I wonder if they'll release new software too, I'd love subtitle support with the ability to save to a text file so transcripts can be made.
Luke

sandsl
Senior User
Dec 1, 2003, 08:14 PM

Anyone in the UK (or elsewhere) waiting for the EyeTV 300/400, they can be pre-ordered from
Softjam.co.uk now. Stock is expected on the 8th December. Priced �224.85 excluding VAT.

Anyone else going to get one of these devices?

I'm interested to know if new EyeTV software will come with it - the current version is looking aesthetically dated now.
Luke

homgran
Dec 2, 2003, 08:25 AM

Anyone in the UK (or elsewhere) waiting for the EyeTV 300/400, they can be pre-ordered from
Softjam.co.uk now. Stock is expected on the 8th December. Priced �224.85 excluding VAT.

Anyone else going to get one of these devices?

I'm interested to know if new EyeTV software will come with it - the current version is looking aesthetically dated now.
I'm probably going to pick up an EyeTV 400 in the next couple of weeks (no point buying the `300', since Sky encrypts its broadcast streams).

I'm really looking forward to archiving some of my favourite TV shows on my TiBook... well, my LaCie, actually, but I'll be using my TiBook! Making a perfect recording of a broadcast stream - digit for digit - will be like a dream come true.

Now, I wonder if it's possible to hack a Sky+ box...

-Matt

sandsl
Senior User
Dec 2, 2003, 08:50 AM

I'm probably going to pick up an EyeTV 400 in the next couple of weeks
Yeah, I'm going for the 400 too! Can't wait to archive loads of my favourite shows for the first time - save me buying DVDs of tv shows.

I'm still waiting for elgato to release some more detials about the 400 - size? connections on the back? new software or not? resolution of video? etc
Luke

Diggory Laycock  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2003, 09:42 AM

sandsl
Senior User
Dec 2, 2003, 10:23 AM

For anyone interested Elgato answered a few of my questions:

1. Does it come with new EyeTV software? I would really like to see a few improvements like subtitle support and a more aqua like interface.
"The Software for EyeTV300/400 is new but we kept the interface design. Sorry."

2. Is the quality of the EyeTV 400 the same as a DVD when both watching it live and watching a previously recorded show?
"Yes, that is the cool thing about digital quality TV"

3. Can you watch two things at once, or record one channel and watch one live?
"No"

4. What ports does the EyeTV 400 have?
"Input for antenna and firewire"
Luke

ucsbdude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2003, 01:38 PM

Does any one know if the eyetv 300 could be hacked to receive DirectTV or Dish network signals? I know there are a few cards on the pc side that can already do this that are sold out of canada. Just wondering if anyone knows if these are the same?

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Dec 14, 2003, 10:54 PM

Does anyone has the latest news on EyeTV 400?

I sent emails to Elgato and its Australian distributor for information on the release and prices in Australia, and both read it (both sent me a read return receipt) and no reply

Is it suppose to release before Christmas?

Diggory Laycock  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2003, 08:02 AM

Originally posted by ucsbdude:
Does any one know if the eyetv 300 could be hacked to receive DirectTV or Dish network signals? I know there are a few cards on the pc side that can already do this that are sold out of canada. Just wondering if anyone knows if these are the same?
No - Unless those broadcasters use DVB - which I doubt.

sandsl
Senior User
Dec 15, 2003, 07:27 PM

Originally posted by veryniceguy2002:
Does anyone has the latest news on EyeTV 400?
Is it suppose to release before Christmas?
"The EyeTV 300/400 isn't quite in the marketplace yet. It will take a week or two for it to reach retailers. We're trying to have it ready for the holidays, but at this point the exact day isn't known." Customer Support, 8th December.

All UK distributors I have contacted have had delivery of the EyeTV 300/400 delayed, originally due on the 8th. Softjam is expecting stock on the 19th December. Transaction-One is expecting stock on the 21st December.

I'm slightly annoyed that they announced this way before it is available and that apple.com/ukstore and cancomuk.com don't even let me pre-order it....oh well
Luke

JB72
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2003, 01:03 AM

I was hoping that they would come out with a Firewire model like the Formac model but cheaper. Although, this is of course great news for the Euros.

maceyedoc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2003, 06:15 PM

only receives OTA signals? If most people have cable or satellite and EyeTV can't decode that then it's a piece of junk.

Diggory Laycock  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2003, 06:56 PM

Originally posted by JB72:
I was hoping that they would come out with a Firewire model like the Formac model but cheaper. Although, this is of course great news for the Euros.
It is firewire like the Formac - it does not use DV as the codec - unlike the formac.

Diggory Laycock  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2003, 06:57 PM

Originally posted by maceyedoc:
only receives OTA signals? If most people have cable or satellite and EyeTV can't decode that then it's a piece of junk.
Try reading the thread again - there are two versions - OTA and Sat.

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Dec 17, 2003, 07:53 PM

Originally posted by maceyedoc:
I think you just happen to live in the wrong side of the Altanic.

Digital OTA TV signal is getting popular in Europe (especially in the UK, from the news report I have read).

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Dec 17, 2003, 07:57 PM

BTW, I just saw there is a FAQ for EyeTV400, as well as a FAQ for EyeTV 300. It might answer some of the questions you might have.

Too bad that Australia may miss out on EyeTV 400

Q: Does EyeTV 400 work in Europe and Australia?

A: Yes. However, the availability of EyeTV 400 in Australia is subject to final negotiations with Dolby Laboratories. There is no North American version available at the moment.

sandsl
Senior User
Dec 23, 2003, 05:24 PM

Anyone got hold of one of these yet? I'd love to hear a review while i'm waiting to get mine!

Nice boxes.
Luke

homgran
Dec 30, 2003, 03:09 PM

Just checked the SoftJam website again, and it would appear that the EyeTV 400 has seen further delays.

Furthermore, recent research suggests that the EyeTV's release schedule exhibits the properties of exponential growth - meaning that it may never be released...

[EDIT: NO HUGE INLINE PIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! --tooki]

[EDIT: My God, a moderator who actually does his job - albeit on someone else's board. Happy now? --homgran]

-Matt
( Last edited by homgran; Jan 5, 2004 at 02:06 PM. )

sandsl
Senior User
Dec 30, 2003, 04:29 PM

Originally posted by homgran:
Just checked the SoftJam website again, and it would appear that the EyeTV 400 has seen further delays.

Furthermore, recent research suggests that the EyeTV's release schedule exhibits the properties of exponential growth - meaning that it may never be released...
Great diagram so true!

Every time we reach the point when its due its delayed another week. I spoke to Paul at SoftJam today and he said that Monday 5th January would be the likely date of arrival.

Cancom are charging an extra �10

CancomUK, EyeTV 400: �292.58, Due 3-4 Days

SoftJam, EyeTV 400: �281.49, Due 5+ Days
Luke

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Jan 3, 2004, 03:59 AM

With MWSF coming very soon, it might be better to hold off any EyeTV purchases for a few days, and wait and see any Apple surprise announcment on the "Digital lifestyle device" (just in case).

sandsl
Senior User
Jan 3, 2004, 10:45 AM

With MWSF coming very soon, it might be better to hold off any EyeTV purchases for a few days, and wait and see any Apple surprise announcment on the "Digital lifestyle device" (just in case).
That exactly what I've decided to do, Apple might announce something which I'd rather have
Luke

homgran
Jan 5, 2004, 02:01 PM

That exactly what I've decided to do, Apple might announce something which I'd rather have
Good call. In the meantime, I'm beginning to think it's just as well the EyeTV 400 has been delayed for so long. You see, the other night, while watching the footy highlights on my Freeview box I noticed many digital artifacts on BBC1. Flicking over to the same channel on my Sky box revealed a near-crystal clear picture with almost no visible artifacts.

Both boxes recieve an anamorphic widescreen picture and are hooked up to a 32" Sony Wega via RGB Scart leads.

I hoped that this was just my Freeview box, but it turns out that Digital Terrestrial broadcast streams are transmitted at a lower bitrate than their equivalent Sky Digital broadcast streams. Also, the current crop of channels will have to take a quality-hit if/when extra channels are added to the Freeview package (due to terrestrial's limited bandwidth), whereas, from what I understand, this is not the case for a system such as that used by Sky.

The EyeTV 400 is a very neat looking piece of hardware, but I think I'll pass on it for the moment. A modified EyeTV 300 would be an essential purchase (for me, at least) - although it would probably break several laws in the process of being modified to suit my needs/wants.

-Matt

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Jan 20, 2004, 07:02 AM

Has anyone bought an EyeTV 400 or 300 already? How is the quality?

I checked the Australian prices of both model, and it is listed as
A$829.72. It seems like it's about A$200 more expensive than in Europe (�349=A$565.65 according to OS X calculator exchange rates)

sandsl
Senior User
Jan 20, 2004, 07:30 AM

My EyeTV 400 should be arriving tomorrow or thursday. I'll be sure to come back and post a review as soon as I get it....

EDIT: Just put the delivery day back 5 days...
( Last edited by sandsl; Jan 20, 2004 at 06:11 PM. )
Luke

WJMoore
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 20, 2004, 07:31 AM

Has anyone bought an EyeTV 400 or 300 already? How is the quality?

I checked the Australian prices of both model, and it is listed as
A$829.72. It seems like it's about A$200 more expensive than in Europe (�349=A$565.65 according to OS X calculator exchange rates)
Haven't bought one yet, waiting for more feedback and ca$h. You might want to checkout MacMall where the new eyeTV's are AU$619.86.

Forum Links
Forum Rules