Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Extracting audio from DVD and making a CD of it

Extracting audio from DVD and making a CD of it
bbales
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2003, 11:15 AM

I want to extract the audio from a DVD and put just the audio on a CD. This would be of one of my daughter's favorite movies -- she can listen to it instead of watching it! (And by the way, yes, we own this.) I know I can get the software to extract the audio. My question -- do I have to put the whole thing on my hard drive first, and then burn it on a CD. I'm fairly certain this is the case, as opposed to a kind of "streaming," where I can burn as it's playing. I'm just trying to avoid having all the audio from "Moulin Rouge" on my hard drive, as I suspect that's a whole lot of real estate.

Thanks in advance.

VEGAN
Senior User
Dec 9, 2003, 11:28 AM

Originally posted by bbales:
I want to extract the audio from a DVD and put just the audio on a CD. This would be of one of my daughter's favorite movies -- she can listen to it instead of watching it! (And by the way, yes, we own this.) I know I can get the software to extract the audio. My question -- do I have to put the whole thing on my hard drive first, and then burn it on a CD. I'm fairly certain this is the case, as opposed to a kind of "streaming," where I can burn as it's playing. I'm just trying to avoid having all the audio from "Moulin Rouge" on my hard drive, as I suspect that's a whole lot of real estate.

Thanks in advance.
I'd help, but since I don't like Moulin Rouge

bbales  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2003, 11:39 AM

OK, that answer made me laugh out loud.

And -- I have to agree with you. I don't like it either. Then again, I'm not 15...

petehammer
Senior User
Dec 9, 2003, 11:47 AM

Thanks in advance.
I've done this with "South Park the movie" and admittedly it was kind of a bitch. Because movie audio tends to range from very quiet to very loud, normalizing it can cause of lot of sections to be too loud and cause clipping.

In any event, yes, I had to copy the DVD-audio to my hard drive (a couple gigs) then make it into a couple AIFF files (for each chapter... how I did it). So, you'll need probably 4 gigs? That's just a guess. I originally did it in OS9, but I'm sure there are OSx tools. I think I used 0SEX to extract the audio by chapter, but then I forget the tool to convert the audio to AIFF (I found it on version tracker).

-p
If after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say ["You're right, we were wrong -- good job"] -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush."
-moki, 04/16/03 (Props to Spheric Harlot)

VEGAN
Senior User
Dec 9, 2003, 11:57 AM

Originally posted by petehammer:
I've done this with "South Park the movie" and admittedly it was kind of a bitch. Because movie audio tends to range from very quiet to very loud, normalizing it can cause of lot of sections to be too loud and cause clipping.

In any event, yes, I had to copy the DVD-audio to my hard drive (a couple gigs) then make it into a couple AIFF files (for each chapter... how I did it). So, you'll need probably 4 gigs? That's just a guess. I originally did it in OS9, but I'm sure there are OSx tools. I think I used 0SEX to extract the audio by chapter, but then I forget the tool to convert the audio to AIFF (I found it on version tracker).

-p
You should be able to do it using MPlayer/MEncoder directly from the DVD...

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2003, 01:12 AM

OSEx will rip the audio offa dvd, and I use mACdec to convert the ripped AC3 audio to CD quality AIFF.

Then use iTunes to convert so I can use the liberated audio in iMovies. Did this with audio from Sleeping Beauty so I could use it in an iMovie of my daughter.

Can't remember where I got OSEx and mAC3dec... but can do some investigating if needed!
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2003, 05:09 AM

Originally posted by Rev-O:
OSEx will rip the audio offa dvd, and I use mACdec to convert the ripped AC3 audio to CD quality AIFF.

Then use iTunes to convert so I can use the liberated audio in iMovies. Did this with audio from Sleeping Beauty so I could use it in an iMovie of my daughter.

Can't remember where I got OSEx and mAC3dec... but can do some investigating if needed!
I've done that with much success! OSEx > mACdec > iTunes > burn CD
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2003, 05:12 AM

I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

tRr
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2003, 07:07 AM

There is an article in the current December issue of Mac Addict that shows how to do this (from what I remember it's the same way as shown here.)

Wickedkitten
Dec 10, 2003, 08:39 AM

i just use audio hijack pro to record the audio directly to mp3 then burn from toast

bbales  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2003, 10:15 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions and the help. I have December's Mac Addict and somehwat remember that article. I'll dig it out.

And by the way, "Sleeping Beauty" was always one of my favorite Disney movies. Such a great witch in that one....

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2003, 02:09 AM

Excuse me while I briefly go tangental... Sleeping Beauty kicks it. When my G5 first showed up on my doorstep, I set it up on the floor with the 23" cinema display, busted out a couple of blankets and watched Sleeping Beauty with my 2 year old daughter. Sure, 5 grand is a pricey way to watch Disney movies... but worth it!

bbales  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2003, 10:24 AM

I'll add to the segue -- did your daughter go hide somewhere when Mallificent (sp?) was doing her "and all the powers of hell!" line?

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2003, 11:29 PM

Apologize in advance for the hijacked thread!
Nah... she's worked past it now. First time she saw Malificent turn into the dragon she got scared. Second time, she sided with Malificent and started crying when the dragon died! Ah, children are fickle creatures.

Now she jus' says "Bad dragon" and claps when Malificent gets skewered.

smogscythe
Dec 11, 2003, 11:39 PM

mh0ffmann
Forum Regular
Dec 13, 2003, 11:44 AM

Considering that most DVDs will take up more than one CD for a full audio transfer, you will need to copy the audio to your HD, and, yes, it'll be about 1.5 gigs.

I used Audio Hijack Pro (which I bought for this specific reason) to capture audio from Diana Krall's live DVD to an AIFF file, which I split in two halves using Amadeus (a shareware audio editor), with nice fade-outs and -ins on each half, and later burned them to two glorious CDs with Toast.

A bit of a pain, but worth it.

Mark
MacBookPro 15" / 2.16 GHz / 100 GB 7200 RPM / 1 Gb
White MacBook 13.3" / 1.8 GHz / 60GB / 1 Gb
PB 5300cs (!!!) 100 MHz / 750 Mb / 16 Mb

bbales  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2003, 08:23 PM

Actually, 1.5 gig on my PB is OK -- I don't have that much free on my desktop!

I'll have to mull your other fade-in option.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2003, 03:31 AM

Have been using the free (emphasis on FREE) version of soundstudio that came with my iBook to edit ripped audio down to managable & listenable versions. Any benefits to Amadeus?

Terrible thing. In the spirit of the holidays, I've been nabbing the awful musical bits from the old Rankin/Bass christmas shows and converting 'em to AAC for a massive iTunes Christmas playlist.

I'm Mister Heat miser, I'm mister sun...

bbales  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2003, 11:05 AM

I don't suppose you have "Hardrock, Cocoa and Joe" or "Suzy Snowflake," do you? These were standards on "Ray Rayner" in chicago in the '60s...

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2003, 10:40 PM

No such luck... am only just now venturing into the obscura...

But I do have "Put One Foot In front of the Other" from Santa Claus is Coming to Town! My God, this stuff is so wretched it's funny!

bbales  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2003, 03:50 PM

Originally posted by mh0ffmann:
Considering that most DVDs will take up more than one CD for a full audio transfer, you will need to copy the audio to your HD, and, yes, it'll be about 1.5 gigs.

I used Audio Hijack Pro (which I bought for this specific reason) to capture audio from Diana Krall's live DVD to an AIFF file, which I split in two halves using Amadeus (a shareware audio editor), with nice fade-outs and -ins on each half, and later burned them to two glorious CDs with Toast.

A bit of a pain, but worth it.

Mark
All right -- I used audio hijack pro -- but now I have one MP3 that's 2 hours long! Obviously, I did something wrong. Will Amadesu let me splice it into many chapters? Or do I somehow do this with Audio Hijack Pro?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2003, 12:55 AM

I don't suppose you have "Hardrock, Cocoa and Joe" or "Suzy Snowflake," do you? These were standards on "Ray Rayner" in chicago in the '60s...
Suzy Snowflake by Rosemary Clooney is available on the iTunes Music Store. That song rocks!

or not.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2003, 10:54 AM

Originally posted by Rev-O:
Excuse me while I briefly go tangental... Sleeping Beauty kicks it. When my G5 first showed up on my doorstep, I set it up on the floor with the 23" cinema display, busted out a couple of blankets and watched Sleeping Beauty with my 2 year old daughter. Sure, 5 grand is a pricey way to watch Disney movies... but worth it!
This sounds like a VISA commercial

PowerMac G5 with 23" Display - 5 Grand
Laying out a couple of blankets and watching Sleeping Beauty with your 2 year old Daughter on your G5
Priceless.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

mark9939
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 23, 2003, 03:44 PM

Thanks for the tip, guys. I had been doing WireTap -> mACdec. But now I do it this way...

OEX, and in there I turn off video, choose decode by chapter, choose 2 channel audio, and then its done. It's handy this way, having all the tracks broken up for you.

Then, AC3 audio to mACdec, convert to AIFF, then use on app called AACelerator to output to AAC.

-M
MBP 1.83 GHz CD/iPod 30GB

mh0ffmann
Forum Regular
Dec 23, 2003, 09:31 PM

...another way of splitting up hourlong recordings into several tracks is to use Toast. Couldn't say how, specifically, as I've never done it myself.

Mark
MacBookPro 15" / 2.16 GHz / 100 GB 7200 RPM / 1 Gb
White MacBook 13.3" / 1.8 GHz / 60GB / 1 Gb
PB 5300cs (!!!) 100 MHz / 750 Mb / 16 Mb

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2003, 02:27 PM

Then, AC3 audio to mACdec, convert to AIFF, then use on app called AACelerator to output to AAC.

-M
Can also just' use iTunes to convert your AIFF to AAC or MP3... I find this easier 'cuz I typically use the audio I'm using (either to listen to as a song or use as an audio clip for iMovie) out of iTunes anyways!

Forum Links
Forum Rules