Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Themepark + Window Placard

Themepark + Window Placard
Slayer-X
Forum Regular
Dec 21, 2003, 12:02 AM

Ok, for the life of me I cannot figure out what this Window Placard is when I am making a theme with Themepark. It's in the Global Elements --> Window Placard. None of the pieces inside are distinct enough to tell me what the mess a window placard is. So please, can someone tell me what a window placard is, and where these resources are applied? Thank you.

Also, to Geekspiff, I would like to suggest for the next version of Themepark, maybe have more of the "notes" for the elements, as newbie themers such as myself sometimes get confused on where some of these elements are placed and how they are used.

smeger
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2003, 12:12 AM

I don't actually know what a window placard is either, although I'm guessing that it's the line that shows the number of files in a folder and the space available on the drive in a non-metal Finder window. In this picture, it's the area that says "13 Items, 2.6 GB Available".

Also, to Geekspiff, I would like to suggest for the next version of Themepark, maybe have more of the "notes" for the elements, as newbie themers such as myself sometimes get confused on where some of these elements are placed and how they are used.
Contribute some and I'll add 'em. I'd be thrilled to receive additions of any sort to the default theme template.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

Slayer-X  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 21, 2003, 12:17 AM

I don't think that's correct, though, because in my nonmetal finder window, that area is the same as my toolbar ppat and I have not changed the elements for the Window Placard at all. Maybe once we figure out what this thing is, the first additional note you should add to the default theme template should be to the Window Placard section.

Phoenix1701
Senior User
Dec 21, 2003, 01:09 AM

Placards are rather rare in Mac OS X, so you don't often see them. You can create one in REALbasic (there's a placard control), though I'm having trouble coming up with an application that actually uses one... if in doubt, just make them the same color and texture as a normal window background, and make a 50% opaque black border around the edges.

timdorr
Dec 21, 2003, 03:08 AM

I'm pretty sure they're used in BBEdit. I haven't touched them, and the area in the window behind the buttons is still aqua-fied.

If they are this, then perhaps they'd better fall under the Backgrounds section of the theme template...

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Dec 21, 2003, 07:37 AM

WIndow placards are used in Iconographer for one. It's basically a background area which you can click:

The regular color should be the same as your background color and the clicked should be darker.

The picture that Smeger posted has nothing to do with it. Those lines are "hardcoded" somehow and can't be changed as far as I know. The background for the Status Bar is the Toolbar Background Carbon.

Slayer-X  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 21, 2003, 10:35 AM

Aha! The mystery of the window placards has been solved. Thank you all.

Forum Links
Forum Rules