Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Dream Apple iApps (If only I were Steve Jobs...)

Dream Apple iApps (If only I were Steve Jobs...)
mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2004, 12:40 AM

Here is my list of applications that probably will never make it to market, but it's fun to dream.

Application Name: RingTone
Description: Telephony application for OS X. Basically it would be an answering machine with telephone capabilities. Although the home phone systems are kind of on their way out, I once had an application called MegaPhone (around the Performa 6400 era) that I really loved. I could make cool outgoing messages, record and save incoming messages and talk to friends with a headset etc. If they would throw in Apple script capabilities, I would consider it an essential part of the digital hub.

Application Name: HomeTheater
Description: People once said that major companies would never embrace MP3 because if it's "illegal" implications. I feel some day, movies will essentially be the same way. I would die for an application that would transcode movies in to high quality MP4s while maintaining the menu structure. There are home movies I would also like to have readily available.

Hardware Name: LastMile
Description: A high quality media tether that connects over FireWire 2 to your TV set. This unit sits next to your TV set and has it's own remote. You can watch movies over it, listen to music, view your iPhoto collection, surf the web, use it for video chats, etc. etc. The unit wouldn't really need to be all that sophisticated as the computer would essentially do all the work. This unit will also communicate with HomeTheater to record video like a Tivo.

Hardware Name: iChat AV for Windows
Description: I think Apple should strike while the iron is hot and release a version of iChat for Windows. I know we will hear various "well, why should people buy Macs" but I think it's only time before the Windows side of the fence copy it and say that they created it.

That's all I can think of now...

What do you think, and what do you have to offer?

Ken Masters
Banned
Jan 30, 2004, 12:52 AM

iApps that work with any CD-RW/DVD-RW.

The fact that apple cripple all of its iApps so that they must work with apple bundled burners sickens me. Apple software is only compatible with apple bundle hardware and cripple any third party support.

If Apple thinks I'm going to replace my expensive hardware because they won't add support for them, think again.

(Im really sick of hacking the crap out of my computer for them to work!!!)

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2004, 01:12 AM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
Here is my list of applications that probably will never make it to market, but it's fun to dream.

Application Name: RingTone
Description: Telephony application for OS X. Basically it would be an answering machine with telephone capabilities. Although the home phone systems are kind of on their way out, I once had an application called MegaPhone (around the Performa 6400 era) that I really loved. I could make cool outgoing messages, record and save incoming messages and talk to friends with a headset etc. If they would throw in Apple script capabilities, I would consider it an essential part of the digital hub.
That would require the modem to have voice capability in the hardware, a feature which I do not think is present on any of Apple's current machines.

Originally posted by Ken Masters:

The fact that apple cripple all of its iApps so that they must work with apple bundled burners sickens me. Apple software is only compatible with apple bundle hardware and cripple any third party support.
Apple's stuff already works with any CD-RW. DVD-RW, yeah, that would be nice...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

anti-sleep
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 30, 2004, 01:28 AM

Hardware Name: LastMile
Description: A high quality media tether that connects over FireWire 2 to your TV set. This unit sits next to your TV set and has it's own remote. You can watch movies over it, listen to music, view your iPhoto collection, surf the web, use it for video chats, etc. etc. The unit wouldn't really need to be all that sophisticated as the computer would essentially do all the work. This unit will also communicate with HomeTheater to record video like a Tivo.
This already exists. It's called EyeHome.

http://www.elgato.com/products/eyehome.html

NOT Misanthrope
Jan 30, 2004, 03:47 AM

Hardware Name: iChat AV for Windows
Description: I think Apple should strike while the iron is hot and release a version of iChat for Windows. I know we will hear various "well, why should people buy Macs" but I think it's only time before the Windows side of the fence copy it and say that they created it.
Wait for the next version of iChat. Cross platform goodies ahoy!!!

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2004, 04:19 AM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
That would require the modem to have voice capability in the hardware, a feature which I do not think is present on any of Apple's current machines.
VoIP and IP telephony.

Anyways, this will never happen. Home phone systems will be all but gone within the next five years and we already have voice-chat through iChat.

I like the other ideas though. And nice names

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2004, 04:20 AM

Originally posted by NOT Misanthrope:
Wait for the next version of iChat. Cross platform goodies ahoy!!!
They better include MSN-support or it's dead in Europe.

willed
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2004, 07:25 AM

Originally posted by - - e r i k - -:
And when has that ever bothered them??

Plus, chances of MS agreeing = 0

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2004, 07:35 AM

Originally posted by willed:
And when has that ever bothered them??

Plus, chances of MS agreeing = 0
MS allows third party clients. That's why we _still_ have Proteus, Trillian, Fire etc. even after MS changed their protocols a few times.

mitchell_pgh  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2004, 08:08 AM

While I realize that my analog home phone line is on it's way out... I also see this as a utility for small businesses. They are the ones that really need something like this. Apple would need to make a USB or Firewire based dongle for this (basically an special modem)

I had the best system in college for an answering machine. My Performa 6400 would receive the calls, from there, I had an AppleScript that would check to see if anything new was in the inbox every 15min. or so. From their, it would take the AIFF file and convert it in to an MP3. Then it would email it to my mailbox.

It was amazing for vacations or when I was on road trips. It was also nice because I could archive a few thousand phone messages with little or no problems. It could also record phone conversations I was having (great for business etc.)

I realize they would only sell a few thousand units, but it would be nice for me (and this is really a thread devoted to Applications you would like Apple to build for you)

willed
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2004, 09:45 AM

MS allows third party clients. That's why we _still_ have Proteus, Trillian, Fire etc. even after MS changed their protocols a few times.
I thought these were reverse engineered, hence their lack of a full feature set - they don't even support file transfer AFAIK?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2004, 10:59 AM

Originally posted by willed:
I thought these were reverse engineered, hence their lack of a full feature set - they don't even support file transfer AFAIK?
Originally yes, but with the last protocol change Microsoft asked third party clients to apply for an official license of the protocol to continue using it. I guess that file transfer just wasn't part of that deal as it worked in previous Proteus versions albeit sketchy.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2004, 11:00 AM

While I realize that my analog home phone line is on it's way out...
You have an analog home line? My figure was for digital home phone lines

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2004, 11:07 AM

QuickTime Movie Store:
Basically, the iTunes Music Store; however, for movies that could be purchased/rented and streamed over the internet for a nominal fee.

insha
Senior User
Jan 30, 2004, 11:45 AM

Originally posted by Ken Masters:

If Apple thinks I'm going to replace my expensive hardware because they won't add support for them, think again.

(Im really sick of hacking the crap out of my computer for them to work!!!)
iTunes 4 works fine with my Laci CD-RW without any problems. Don't know about DVD-R, as I don't have a DVD burner.

mitchell_pgh  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2004, 11:45 AM

Originally posted by gorickey:
QuickTime Movie Store:
Basically, the iTunes Music Store; however, for movies that could be purchased/rented and streamed over the internet for a nominal fee.
I think that's where HomeTheater would end up going (like how iTunes started as an MP3 player and turned in to a store). In fact, they could merge the two in to one big application... but that could confuse people.

I would like to see shows also on there. $1 to download a version of a show that I missed or something... Let me view it for a week, then disable it (I know lots of people wouldn't like this, but it's better then stealing in my opinion. Plus having a quick download location would be nice.

SIDE NOTE: The F@#$ing Star Trek people are freaking HIGH! They are trying to push TWO episodes of the original Star Trek on a DVD for $17.99.

$269.85 for the first season of 30 shows (15 DVDs)...

Ummm...

insha
Senior User
Jan 30, 2004, 11:52 AM

I hope Apple does not support MSN in iChat. Why is it that Europe id so intrenched in M$ -- and wants everything compatible to M$ that is on the Mac?

funkboy
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2004, 12:09 PM

Is MSN really that popular over there? It's popular with all my real-life friends here in North Dakota, but in Minnesota (a neighboring state) my friend says AIM is prevalent all over his campus.

I don't know what to think... I think MSN is growing faster, though.

I want MSN in iChat, just so I can ditch Microsoft's awful client.

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2004, 01:12 PM

Originally posted by funkboy:
Is MSN really that popular over there? It's popular with all my real-life friends here in North Dakota, but in Minnesota (a neighboring state) my friend says AIM is prevalent all over his campus.

Yep, AIM or Yahoo "doesn't exist" here. EVERYBODY uses MSN.

Amorya
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2004, 01:17 PM

Originally yes, but with the last protocol change Microsoft asked third party clients to apply for an official license of the protocol to continue using it. I guess that file transfer just wasn't part of that deal as it worked in previous Proteus versions albeit sketchy.
Erm... Fire supports MSN file transfer. It's a bit dodgy but it (sometimes) works.

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

Amorya
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2004, 01:19 PM

Originally posted by funkboy:

Yes, it really is.

I don't know anyone who uses anything that isn't MSN for IM. About four or five years ago it was all ICQ... I remember how everyone bit by bit switched to MSN. If I didn't have an MSN compatible client, I wouldn't be able to talk to any friends - so however good the client is, it'd be useless for me!

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

mitchell_pgh  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2004, 01:33 PM

Originally posted by Amorya:
Yes, it really is.

I don't know anyone who uses anything that isn't MSN for IM. About four or five years ago it was all ICQ... I remember how everyone bit by bit switched to MSN. If I didn't have an MSN compatible client, I wouldn't be able to talk to any friends - so however good the client is, it'd be useless for me!

Amorya
I find that amazing as NONE of my friends use MSN. Everybody around here uses AIM. I wonder how that works... I say they add it... what do we have to worry about. Just don't make it a priority. Don't let vide or voice chats with MSN people. They in turn download the iChat (Windows version) and start using it.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2004, 01:42 PM

Freaking server ate my post.........

The movie/TV/photo/stereo integration stuff is already done by Tivo's Home Media Options.

The phone stuff can be handled quite nicely by Plink. Maybe Apple should buy them and go crazy.

I'd love to see iChat get cross-platform and interoperable with MSN. That would be awesome.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

clod
Senior User
Jan 30, 2004, 01:54 PM

Originally posted by Amorya:
Yes, it really is.

Amorya
Same here. Everybody has MSN, so I have no use for iChat.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2004, 03:48 PM

All the Americans I know use AIM, all the Canadians use MSN. I don't know that ANYWHERE in Canada uses AIM. I've asked Apple to put in MSN support simply because their client is a CPU hog of an app that is just bloody ugly.

That said Apple should revamp the interface of iChat to a single window interface with tabbed conversations ect or at least have the option.

That said home theatre yah I've been clamouring for this for a while. It could work with iMovie for editing movies IE you don't like a part, clip it out and so on and so forth. And it would be able to manage your fave movies, you could even have sets of fave clips and stuff.

I'd love to see some nice easy to use VoIP stuff but it's not gona happen any time soon.

Perhaps an Apple branded Telephone or Cellphone would be a better idea...Or a cell phone with an optional base station that would make it into a cordless?

Hmmm you know Apple's filled out this digital hub strategy fairly well. The only thing I can think of that they should do is licence Photoshop Elements parts to enhance iPhoto IE levels support, more than basic text effects, hue and contrast controls. If I could do this all in iPhoto I would need PS elements a lot less.

xylon
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 30, 2004, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by Superchic[k]en:
[B]That said Apple should revamp the interface of iChat to a single window interface with tabbed conversations ect or at least have the option.
You probably already know it, but Adium 2 provides a tabbed chat window. It's the only reason why I still don't use iChat.

As for my desires in an iApp, well, I don't really have any. All the possible iApps I need have already been created, and I don't really see myself needing any others...for the time being.

^Thanks to sealobo
Viva le ScrollWheel!

mitchell_pgh  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2004, 05:09 PM

New iApp Idea

Application Name: Repository
Description: Think of this as a library type of application.

It organizes your DVD collections, Music Collections, Book collections, Comic Book, Magazine, Stamp, Baseball card, X_Y_Z collections. Apple would come with the basic (DVD, CD, Book, Magazine, Comic, Baseball Card, Stamp) collections and let us develop the rest. It's modular so you can add collections to it if you know how to program a little. It can export tab and comma delimited text files and HTML web pages with graphics.

Basically, this is a light weight XML database front end. They could expand upon this by adding Rendezvous sharing or even .mac sharing.

It would also be VERY nice if they could add swipe card and UPC scanner capabilities.

Forum Links
Forum Rules