Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Applecare for Powerbook

View Poll Results: Is Applecare worth it?
Poll Options:
I have bought Applecare and used it to repair a broken laptop 12 votes (32.43%)
I have bought Applecare but my laptop has never broken 12 votes (32.43%)
My laptop broke out of warranty (but within 3 years of new) and I didn't have Applecare 1 votes (2.70%)
My laptop computer has never required service 11 votes (29.73%)
I don't own a laptop computer 1 votes (2.70%)
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll
Applecare for Powerbook
Thunderbird
Senior User
May 6, 2004, 12:31 PM

I'm debating the usefulness of Applecare. What are the opinions of Powerbook Owners?

cszar2001
Photo Architect
May 6, 2004, 01:02 PM

I thought about it more than once. But being on this forum for several months has shown me that it`s not necessary. Apple Powerbooks are incredible machines. Treat them well and you can rely on them forever.

I can afford one "big" repair for the price of Applecare-I�m willing to take that risk.
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

Crichton
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2004, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by Thunderbird:
I'm debating the usefulness of Applecare. What are the opinions of Powerbook Owners?
I bought my powerbook at MicroCenter...they offered me applecare, but it was like 300 some dollars and I was like ...I just saved 400 dollars, since my new powerbook was a floor model and discounted, do I really want to spend it back. So I said no, and then he offered me their own protection plan thru microcenter..which was like only 160 dollars. I jumped at that one, since it was even BETTER then applecare was.

So I guess I don't think applecare is worth it, if you can find a store that sells their own brand of protection, especially if it turns out to be way better.
______
12" 1 ghz G4 Powerbook

Voch
Mac Elite
May 6, 2004, 01:18 PM

I have used AppleCare to fix a battery problem (basically, it went dead on me) and a power connector problem inside the PowerBook (it would fail to make a connection unless I wedged something under the power connector just so) with my refurb PowerBook 667/DVI. Both were taken care of quickly and properly.

bighead
Senior User
May 6, 2004, 01:31 PM

I would only buy AppleCare for an Apple, mainly because third-party warranties require you to deal with the third-party as the surety intermediary. Micro Center will no doubt send your PowerBook to the same repair depot that all Apple Service Centers send to, but they pay for it. I'd rather not have to deal with MicroCenter for service, and have Apple be the one handling it all. Maybe it's a little more expensive, but I've never regretted buying AppleCare.
the bighead

- MacBook Pro 15" matte non-unibody 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, 120/SSD & 750GB/7200
- PM G4 Dual 1.25 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 1x320 boot, 1x2TB TM Backup - 2x1TB & 2x3TB Archive/Backup

heresiarh
Dedicated MacNNer
May 6, 2004, 01:37 PM

Never needed apple card. knock wood.

Dr.Michael
May 6, 2004, 02:03 PM

I had three problems: dim screen and lose hinges on Pismo and broken DVD drive on Ti500.

Backlights are available for talented screw driver users for 65 $. Hinges are 140 a pair (or 40 @ eBay). A combo drive is meanwhile 250 $.

So even if things go wrong, its not always necessary to have apple care.
On the other hand, if you have spent your money for apple care you cannot even exchange your powerbooks hd without risking to lose warranty.

I vote for a cheap dealer insurance for the worst case.

riotge@r
Forum Regular
May 6, 2004, 09:16 PM

If I kept a laptop longer than a year I would get AppleCare no question about it. Fortunately I upgrade my laptop every 8-10 months, so AppleCare now is moot.
MacBook Pro 15" 2.4Ghz

sbc
Forum Regular
May 6, 2004, 10:02 PM

I have a question: Besides extendeding the the warranty period, does Applecare offer anything special over the standard warranty, like gaurantees, etc..? Additionally, when you purchase a ADC, is the warranty extended with the purchase of Apple Care?
Am I ready for the Mac? I want a 60G iPod!!!!!

nate_02
Senior User
May 8, 2004, 12:05 AM

I'm planning on buying Applecare before my first year runs out. I'm on my 3rd bad screen and second bad keyboard.
-nate

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
May 8, 2004, 03:08 AM

Looking at th epoll results so far 34% of people have utilised their AppleCare and a further 4% would have if they had had it after the warrenty ran out, so thats nearly 40% of people used it. This makes Apple care a way better deal than the "insurance" you get pushed to take out on VCR's, TV's, Fridges etc that hardley ever break down any more.

On that basis alone its a good deal!

Also with laptops the repair is often not cheap and even if it is doing it yourself will probably invalidate what warranty you have left.

I would never buy laptop without it!

On the other hand I don't have AppleCare on any of my desktops and have never had a failure with any of them (currently have 3 1GHz towers and a 800Mhz Quicksilver. but have had about 20 others over the past few years with nary a hitch. In contrast I have used the Applecare on all of my Laptops from my 233 Wall Street onwards!

Phil the Fish
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2004, 03:15 AM

Originally posted by nate_02:
I'm planning on buying Applecare before my first year runs out. I'm on my 3rd bad screen and second bad keyboard.
ditto, although the PB is fresh out the box with no problems, I don't intend to replace it within 3 years, so I shall get Applecare towards the end of the first year....

The PB is also on the household insurance (as a named item that can be covered outside of the premises --- No point in having a laptop if its sitting at home LOL) for a token amout (35ukp per year) to cover theft, accidental damage etc etc, which the warrenty / Applecare would not....

Phil
Phil the Fish
15" PowerBook 1.5GHz, SuperDrive, 5400rpm 80GB, IGB RAM/128MB VRAM
PM G4 D500 1.25GB RAM, 40GB HD

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
May 8, 2004, 06:49 AM

A good point from Phil the fish also

We had my Wall Street as a named item on our houshold insurance for no extra cost. It got dropped onto our stone kitchen floor and replaced on the insurance, which applecare obvioulsy does not cover!

I would say Applecare plus proper insurance and you'll be fine. You can't predict the occasional bout of clumsyness!

Forum Links
Forum Rules