Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Dog Eats Master...but then it gets even better

Dog Eats Master...but then it gets even better
CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 3, 2004, 07:14 PM

from Philadelphia...

Philadelphia Police Say Dog Eats Man
Concerned Relatives Call Police

A 75-year-old man's body parts were found strewn all over a house in the city's Fishtown section Thursday and police said that his dog had been eating him.

Relatives of the dead man, Burt Burhart, said they had not talked to him for about a month so they went to his home. They said it was not uncommon for him not to answer the door. They had been checking on him, but after four weeks they decided it was time to call police.

Around 10:30 a.m., police and family members entered the house and they found Burhart's remains scattered throughout the first floor of his rowhouse.

Burhart's dog, Buddy, had apparently eaten some of the remains.

Family members did not want to go on camera but told NBC 10 News that Burhart was a loner. He never married and had no children. A nephew said family members called him regularly. Many neighbors couldn't remember the last tiime they saw him, either.

Burhart's family said he got Buddy about six months ago for companionship. Despite what happened, nobody seems to blame the dog. Burhart's brothers are now taking care of Buddy and said they are sure that the dog did not kill him.

Okay...so thats a bit sick-o but hey, the poor dog didnt have anybody to feed him so what's a self-respecting pup to do.

Here's the good part: "Burhart's brothers are now taking care of Buddy..."

Here's a picture of the aforementioned dog and brother. Take care of him sure, but you would you let the dog that just ATE your dead brother lick your face?? Now that's love.

f1000
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2004, 07:40 PM

I wonder if they'll be holding a service for the dog's droppings?

Ugh.

tavilach
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2004, 07:55 PM

That's really nasty...but yeah, you can't blame the dog. I mean...the dead guy was food...

I hope they washed the dog's mouth out before that. I hope they washed it out repeatedly.
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

CMYKid  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 3, 2004, 07:58 PM

well, it was taken right after the cops and family broke in and found him...crime scene tape is still up even.

ugh.

tavilach
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2004, 07:59 PM

Originally posted by CMYKid:
well, it was taken right after the cops and family broke in and found him...crime scene tape is still up even.

ugh.
Now that's gross. Perhaps the brothers are a little...umm...senile?

"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2004, 08:01 PM

So, you ever see Alive?

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2004, 08:04 PM

In stores soon, new Purina Puppy Chow with Geriatric Chunks.

Seriously, that's one f'ed up story. My dog would probably just sit there licking my face for 4 weeks.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2004, 08:18 PM

"hmm. fresh meat. this guy looks pretty old too, he probably doesnt have a lot of miles left on him. i wonder what he'll taste like. lemme have a little lick."

or

"i will dine on this old mans liver with fava beans and a nice chianti - licklicklicklicklick"

CMYKid  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 3, 2004, 08:45 PM

Originally posted by tavilach:
Now that's gross. Perhaps the brothers are a little...umm...senile?

weeellllll...senile, not sure...but I do see a flannel shirt and a trucker hat so that could account for a few things.

f1000
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2004, 09:15 PM

Originally posted by Socially Awkward Solo:
So, you ever see Alive?
Read the book when it first came out, but I haven't seen the movie.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 4, 2004, 04:03 AM

Almost exactly the same thing happened in Norway a month or two ago (I think I might even have posted about it here), except in that case the dog was put to sleep.

Although it's quite gross that they let the dog lick their faces without as much as brushing its teeth, I think it's a good thing they're taking care of it. Why should they blame the dog? It's a dog. If a dog's owner is a loner and suddenly one day has a heart attack or something and dies, and the dog is locked in the house for a month - would you expect a dog to let itself starve to death? Hardly, it's a dog!

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2004, 05:38 AM

Same thing happened next door to my hold house when i was a little kid. The lady next door had like a million cats, and when she died..... cats had to eat. I don't remember any details as I as 1 or 2 at the time. But its not all that uncommon.

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2004, 10:44 AM

Originally posted by itai195:
In stores soon, new Purina Puppy Chow with Geriatric Chunks.

Seriously, that's one f'ed up story. My dog would probably just sit there licking my face for 4 weeks.
While eating your leg.

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2004, 10:53 AM

Soylent green anyone?
weird wabbit

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jun 4, 2004, 10:54 AM

Tastes like chicken.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2004, 11:06 AM

It's not as if the dog killed the old dude and then had lunch. He probably went days, maybe more than a week without eating. Or drinking? Besides, when the old guy died, his bowels relaxed and he began to bloat. It wasn't as if the dog was eating his master. The dog just knew there was rotting meat there and he wasn't being fed.

The dog was probably traumatized in some doggie way with his master and friend gone like that.

Survival, even if it's gruesome, is acceptable. If it were the other way around, would too many people blink twice if a trapped person had to eat their dog to survive?
Kudos to the man's family for seeing that and not killing a poor dog who just ate to live.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

AppleCello
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 4, 2004, 11:54 AM

Survival, even if it's gruesome, is acceptable. If it were the other way around, would too many people blink twice if a trapped person had to eat their dog to survive?
Kudos to the man's family for seeing that and not killing a poor dog who just ate to live. [/B]

Maybe thats why a lot of peopole living on the streets keep dogs...

P

IonCable
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 4, 2004, 12:22 PM

Soylent Green is People!!!!!! YAAAAAA! What a bad movie.
"This is fun, right?"

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2004, 12:29 PM

Originally posted by CMYKid:
weeellllll...senile, not sure...but I do see a flannel shirt and a trucker hat so that could account for a few things.
You, my friend, are a raciest!

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2004, 01:08 PM

He would be an elitist (actually he'd be correct). Racist would have something to do with their... wait for it... race!

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

voyageur
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2004, 01:18 PM

Originally posted by Socially Awkward Solo:
So, you ever see Alive?
..or Ric Burns' hair-raising documentary The Donner Party ....

The Ginger Rat
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 4, 2004, 01:23 PM

Originally posted by voyageur:
..or Ric Burns' hair-raising documentary The Donner Party ....
Discover magazine (I think ) some years back had a great analysis of who died and why on the Donner party. Essentially, if you were a loner or had no strong family ties within the group, you became breakfast.

voyageur
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2004, 01:40 PM

Originally posted by The Ginger Rat:
Discover magazine (I think ) some years back had a great analysis of who died and why on the Donner party. Essentially, if you were a loner or had no strong family ties within the group, you became breakfast.
"voted off the island", so to speak.

f1000
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2004, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by The Ginger Rat:
I read that, too. People actually waited for others to die...

Actually, they did that in Alive!, too.

Then there's Stalingrad...

CMYKid  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 4, 2004, 05:20 PM

yeah, so much discussion has revolved around the dog...I'm QUITE ok with the ddog eatin the old codger, what the hell else WOULD a reasonable person expect the poor pup to do after all...

The thing that really stopped me in my tracks was the fact that the guy sits there happily letting the dog lick his face. It's not as if it's sometime later, they're AT the crime scene so itsa pretty good bet they know exactly where that mouth has been!

blech.

voyageur
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2004, 05:23 PM

"You're not as clean as you think."

The Ginger Rat
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 4, 2004, 05:28 PM

Originally posted by f1000:
I read that, too. People actually waited for others to die...

Actually, they did that in Alive!, too.

Then there's Stalingrad...
Yes, it was interesting how acceptable it got for many of them as time passed. As long as one didn't take an active step to end another's life, it became much more excusable to wait and take advantage of a "natural" event. The will to live is strong and I think that is understandable.

But that one guy who was suspected of offing at least one person and was found making stews etc. of the body parts- I think he went way over the edge!

Forum Links
Forum Rules