Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Pics of Rev B dual 2.0 G5 and Radeon 9800XT

Pics of Rev B dual 2.0 G5 and Radeon 9800XT
memory-minus
Senior User
Jun 28, 2004, 05:59 PM

Just got this baby in today (after minor drama detailed in another thread) and took pics of the massive ATI Radeon 9800XT heatsink for your viewing pleasure!

Click for SUPER HIGH RES versions. Enjoy!

Sparkletron
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2004, 06:24 PM

Any more details or general impressions? You know; are you loving it?

-S

BurpetheadX
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 28, 2004, 06:29 PM

is it just me...or is that heat sink blocking the first PCI slot..

Turias
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 06:32 PM

Originally posted by BurpetheadX:
Yep. That card (as well as the new nVidias) are so big that they block off one of the PCI-X slots. It would be a bigger deal to me if I actually thought I would need it.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jun 28, 2004, 06:35 PM

It's interesting that the 2.0 uses the same G5 cover as the 2.5. Is there some sort of grill on the left side, next to the fans? There is the radiator there for the 2.5.

Turias
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 06:38 PM

Originally posted by BurpetheadX:
Speaking of which, where do the modem, ethernet card, and bluetooth module connect? To PCI-X slots? To different slots? I'm new to much of this hardware stuff.

memory-minus  (op)
Senior User
Jun 28, 2004, 06:40 PM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
It's interesting that the 2.0 uses the same G5 cover as the 2.5. Is there some sort of grill on the left side, next to the fans? There is the radiator there for the 2.5.
It seems that the heatsink is identical to Rev A G5s but the cover is different.

Sparkletron, to say I'm loving it would be a gross understatement.

SafariX
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 08:44 PM

nice pics m-m!

k2director
Senior User
Jun 28, 2004, 09:00 PM

That's the same card I have on order with my Dual 2.5 G5! I have the current BTO ATI 9800 in my original Dual G5 (2Ghz), and am wondering if this revision of the card is any less noisy?

So....how would you rate the noise of your card? Does its fan make more noise than the G5's fans?? Hopeully, ATI's made some adjustments to shut the card up a bit...

memory-minus  (op)
Senior User
Jun 28, 2004, 09:47 PM

Originally posted by k2director:
That's the same card I have on order with my Dual 2.5 G5! I have the current BTO ATI 9800 in my original Dual G5 (2Ghz), and am wondering if this revision of the card is any less noisy?

So....how would you rate the noise of your card? Does its fan make more noise than the G5's fans?? Hopeully, ATI's made some adjustments to shut the card up a bit...
The card is virtually silent... the G5s fans easily drown out what little noise it does make.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2004, 10:36 PM

Originally posted by memory-minus:
The card is virtually silent... the G5s fans easily drown out what little noise it does make.
That's good news. Probably why the heat-sink is so big. To allow better cooling.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2004, 10:39 PM

Originally posted by Turias:
Speaking of which, where do the modem, ethernet card, and bluetooth module connect? To PCI-X slots? To different slots? I'm new to much of this hardware stuff.
The modem and bluetooth do not use a PCI-X slot, they plug into the motherboard. Ethernet is built-in to the G5 so it does not use a PCI-X slot - unless you mean the airport card which fits in a mini-pci slot on the motherboard.
MacBook Pro

Macrat
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2004, 11:06 PM

That is one hairy video card. Or is it so powerful that electricity is shooting off from it?

memory-minus  (op)
Senior User
Jun 28, 2004, 11:20 PM

Originally posted by Macrat:
That is one hairy video card. Or is it so powerful that electricity is shooting off from it?
It appears that a "support post" was hot-glued on after the fact to uphold this card's awesome might!

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2004, 11:33 PM

I think it is really pathetic that you lose a PCI slot because of a stupid fan. Bad engineering.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Jun 29, 2004, 04:58 AM

but if it's quiet - who cares ?

sounds amazing ! ( no pun intended )

memory-minus  (op)
Senior User
Jun 29, 2004, 06:45 AM

Originally posted by Socially Awkward Solo:
I think it is really pathetic that you lose a PCI slot because of a stupid fan. Bad engineering.
The retail version of the 9800 XT in the PC world comes in a one-slot design, but from what I understand it is LOUD. I am the kind of user who is willing to sacrifice one PCI slot for a quiet computer. Besides, I can only ever see needing one of the 2 slots that are left, personally.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2004, 06:45 AM

I just got my DP2.0/9800 yesterday! And while I am certainly ecstatic, I am also a bit concerned over the damaged incurred to the box:

The dent, thankfully, is above the CPU; the force was localized to such an extent that the styrofoam was also dented, but on the far side of the styrofoam away from the keyboard. That indicates to me that it happened after it shipped. I asked the Fedex guy about it, and he stated it was fine, of course. I'm just concerned that the unit was dropped by Fedex. In addition to that the bottom of the box wasn't sealed that firmly, so that the flaps were open a bit under the weight of the machine. Certainly not enough to cause the bottom to open, though. I'm waiting a couple of days to get my Kingston RAM (great price for the 256 Kit - $110 total from ewiz.com), so I haven't taken my baby out of its box yet. Do you think I should fret about it or even contact Apple?
( Last edited by Big Mac; Jun 29, 2004 at 07:23 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

memory-minus  (op)
Senior User
Jun 29, 2004, 06:53 AM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
I haven't taken my baby out of its box yet. Do you think I should fret about it?
Ouch... well, as we all know FedEx is far from perfect. Looks like one of the box throwers missed the conveyer belt.

I'd suggest unpacking it to check for any possible cosmetic damage, then booting it to make sure it's working properly. You should start a claim with Apple / FedEx for any damage as soon as possible. If you still want to put it back in the box to wait for your RAM, go right ahead, however ther's no way I could have been that patient!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2004, 07:12 AM

Thank you for the advice, memory; sorry to derail your thread like that. Great pics of what's to come for me!
( Last edited by Big Mac; Jun 29, 2004 at 07:27 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

blakespot
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 29, 2004, 09:14 AM

The ATI Radeon 9800XT (pictured above), on PC versions of the card, has a single molex power connector that needs to be fed from the power supply. I see not such connector on this card. Is it drawing the extra power from the ADC-style little extra edge connector next to the AGP slot (as can be seen at the bottom left of this card)?

blakespot
iPodHacks.com -- http://www.ipodhacks.com

memory-minus  (op)
Senior User
Jun 29, 2004, 09:53 AM

Originally posted by blakespot:
The ATI Radeon 9800XT (pictured above), on PC versions of the card, has a single molex power connector that needs to be fed from the power supply. I see not such connector on this card. Is it drawing the extra power from the ADC-style little extra edge connector next to the AGP slot (as can be seen at the bottom left of this card)?
Nope, the AGP slot is AGP 8x Pro, Pro meaning the bus powers the card.

cbutter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2004, 03:46 PM

Do you hear any noise coming from your speakers (assuming you have speakers plugged into the analog audio out jack)???? The rev A G5 dual 2.0 has had a problem with this. Mine makes a "computer" sound, like chirping and buzzing especially if you turn up the external speakers loud.

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2004, 03:58 PM

Originally posted by Socially Awkward Solo:
I don't think so. My Sawtooth has had exactly one PCI card in its life (a SCSI card) and I got rid of that months ago.

mac freak
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2004, 07:02 PM

The 9800 Pro only takes one slot, and the XT is only like 8% faster
Also, the PC version of the 9800 XT only takes one slot. Seems ATI did something silly with the Mac 9800 XT.
Be happy.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2004, 10:21 PM

Originally posted by mac freak:
The 9800 Pro only takes one slot, and the XT is only like 8% faster
Also, the PC version of the 9800 XT only takes one slot. Seems ATI did something silly with the Mac 9800 XT.
Yeah, the PC version of the 9800XT is LOUD as a few PC users have mentioned. What Apple/ATI did was made the heat sink bigger to cool it better and keep it QUIETER. Besides alot of modern cards take up the PCI slot beside the AGP slot. So you lose 1 PCI slot. It's not much of a sacrifice for peace and quiet.
MacBook Pro

mjankor
Jul 5, 2004, 02:26 AM

Yeah but unfortunately the Radeon 9800 Special Edition, which only takes one slot is damn loud too. I'm looking at getting a Verax fan or Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer to shut it up but these solutions will take a slot too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules