Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Panther won't install, iBook twin usb.

Panther won't install, iBook twin usb.
skalie
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2004, 12:14 PM

Edit: posted a thread over at the Mac OSX forum as well.

Placing this here instead of the OSX forum, because I'm worried that I may have the dreaded logicboard problem.

iBook, 600mhz, dual usb.

Has ran fine on OS 9 and OS 10.1, but it's not liking an upgrade to Panther.

I have zapped the pram, reset the pmu and removed additional ram.

I try to install from OSX 10.1, I get prompted to restart, on restart I get a gray screen, with a darker grey apple symbol, then after a fair while a small gray rotating "sunflower" icon under the apple, then after quite a bit longer the screen goes wierd, it fades to a what looks like a piece of purple paper that has been folded three times.

I shut down, remove the Panther install CD-rom and it boots up again fine under Mac 10.1. ( I have formatted the harddrive and done a fresh install of OSx 10.1 )

Could this be a logiboard issue, my iBook falls under the serial numbers quoted on the Apple website with that issue? The iBook has behaved pretty much admirably over the years, apart from having a dead battery which somehow recovered and maybe fallen asleep when it shouldn't have.

Or am I missing something basic here?
( Last edited by skalie; Jul 3, 2004 at 02:57 PM. )

pat++
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2004, 12:36 PM

I don't think it's a logic board issue if it's running fine with 10.1.
It might be bad RAM... Try to remove any extra memory stick, airport card or non-Apple device and see if it helps.

skalie  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2004, 12:38 PM

All extras were removed, I've since replaced the airport card to go searching around for firmware updates.

skalie  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2004, 01:10 PM

Can't find any firmware update that seems relevant.

The plot thickens, tried to install Mac OS 9, similar weirdness with the screen.

So here I am with a clean install of Mac OS 10.1 and �150 of software I can't do anything with.

pat++
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2004, 02:22 PM

Originally posted by skalie:
Can't find any firmware update that seems relevant.

The plot thickens, tried to install Mac OS 9, similar weirdness with the screen.

So here I am with a clean install of Mac OS 10.1 and �150 of software I can't do anything with.
Then, I'm afraid it might be the logic board issue... try to call Apple and see what they say...

skalie  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2004, 02:36 PM

Originally posted by pat++:
Then, I'm afraid it might be the logic board issue... try to call Apple and see what they say...
....not under warranty, or Apple care, and have a very expensive phone (mobile with card).

However, I did mange to get Mac OS9 installed, although when I try and install Panther and click on "restart" when prompted, I get the following message.........

An error occurred.
"Startup Disk was unable to select the install CD as the startup disk (-2)"
.........will probably have to take this over to the Mac OS forum.

Damn frustrating when things don't work out of the box.

Normally I'm using my iBook to surf the web to try and find out what's broken on my PC, not vica versa.

skalie  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2004, 10:07 PM

Panther installed, left the the thing alone for five hours, came back to it, possibly held my finger on "C" for longer than I had been when booting from CD-rom. Seems to have been a clean "erase and install"

Untill restart..........

.....................back to dead (purple then black) screen.

Dammit.

skalie  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2004, 10:20 PM

Alright, I'm on to disk 2.

Seems giving the thing a 10 minute rest was necessary.

Can't remember anything about taking time-outs in the installation instructions.

This is like pottery or something, bake, cool down, post question on forum, leave for 5 hours, rebake.

skalie  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2004, 05:25 AM

OK, thanks to a tip from the OSX form, the present state of play is.........

Panther, iLife04, third party ram and airport all installed.

Screen freeze at boot up, unless I hold down the option key while booting. Seems like the thing doesn't know where to look for the OS or something.

Guess I'll be taking it in to the shop to ask about logicboard replacement.

skalie  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2004, 11:39 AM

Just in case anyone finds this thread in a search, I ended up with a scenario that is pretty much nailed down by the screenshots here (in Dutch)....

http://www.macosx.nl/?p=showarticle&art_id=1249

........sent it off to Apple, I'm banking on it being a free logicboard replacement..

Forum Links
Forum Rules