Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Archiving old mail in Mail

Archiving old mail in Mail
rageman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2009, 11:57 PM

I use Mail to manage all my email accounts; currently I have four that are active (meaning I use them on a daily basis to receive and send). While I do organize my mail into folders (mailboxes, I guess) I am wondering if there is a way to archive old email and keep it searchable. My mail folder is getting too big, but I do sometimes have to reference mail from a long ways back (1+ years) so I am looking for a solution that compresses the old mail, but keeps it searchable. Any ideas appreciated.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2009, 05:18 PM

On the left side (where the inbox, outbox, etc. are) on the bottom there is a "=" button.

Click it, and you'll get a new folder within Mail, that you can name yourself.

Now you just drag the e-mails you want to store to that or other folders, et voila, your inbox is freed of emails, and you have everything stored and sorted.

rageman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2009, 05:45 PM

Thanks for the reply - this is how I organize all my email now, but over the last few years there are thousands in folders in the sidebar, many with attachments that I do not want to lose, but would like to compress and keep searchable. I guess larger hard drives are cheap and Mail does a better job keeping things in multiple folders rather than the large single file it used to.

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 23, 2009, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by rageman View Post
I use Mail to manage all my email accounts; currently I have four that are active (meaning I use them on a daily basis to receive and send). While I do organize my mail into folders (mailboxes, I guess) I am wondering if there is a way to archive old email and keep it searchable. My mail folder is getting too big, but I do sometimes have to reference mail from a long ways back (1+ years) so I am looking for a solution that compresses the old mail, but keeps it searchable. Any ideas appreciated.
Within Mail itself is one solution I use: Archive Mailbox

I also use myemaildb which I prefer for searching old emails.

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

rageman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2009, 12:18 PM

Thanks for the tip on myemaildb; just a cursory glance looks like it would work well for me!

Forum Links
Forum Rules