Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Lion settings

Lion settings
Eldberg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2012, 04:24 PM

My iMac came with OSX 10.7.4 "Lion" and I find some things in this system annoying. Is there a way to get rid of the default "open windows again on restart" which is always checked, in the shutdown dialogue?

Same thing with applications. For instance today I happened to enter a bogus website which gave me a dialog box saying "You should consider cleaning your Mac of garbage" and the name of some software they wanted me to download. Modal dialog box, only one button marked "OK". I decided that I was definitely not going to click that button. Since there was no way to get rid of the box, I force quit Safari. But on the next start, Safari automatically loaded the same window with the same site and there was the suspicious box & button again. A second force quit & restart while frantically hitting Cmd-W saved me. Is there a way to tell the machine not to reload windows that were open when the application was shut down?

Third: this system seems to save changes automatically. Cmd-S should only be used to save a version. If I close the window in e.g. Pages, it will automatically save the current state of the file. Only sometimes this has not worked. The last few sentences are missing. Why?

Åke

ibook_steve
May 13, 2012, 02:13 AM

1) That should have been fixed in 10.7.4.

2) System Preferences -> General -> Restore Windows when quitting and re-opening apps

3) Can't help you on 3.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2012, 06:40 AM

I doubt that a website can throw up a dialog box. More likely it was a window made to look like a dialog box. Click the red button to close it.

P
May 13, 2012, 01:36 PM

No, websites can throw up dialog boxes, but they can't do too much with them. That one you got is an info box, so if you just click OK, it goes away without installing anything.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Eldberg  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2012, 09:03 AM

Aw! I'm ashamed that it was that easy and I didn't find it. Thanks ibook Steve.

Åke

Forum Links
Forum Rules