Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > ibook left palm feel hot after 1 hour of normal usage

ibook left palm feel hot after 1 hour of normal usage
maCCer
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2005, 09:43 PM

i think the stuff under our left hand(palm) is the hard disk, and i found if i use ibook for more then 1 hours(just listen to musci and surfing web), it becomes hot, is that common for ibook, or there is some problems with my ibook(G4 1G 512 RAM).
If it is common , how can we reduce the heat of hard disk?

And i found one more thing, use Headphones listen to music will cause more hard disk heat then external speaker, that is funny, why??
There were once four people named Everybody, Somebody, Nobody and Anybody. Somebody had to do a job, but Nobody wanted to do it. Nobody could see that Anybody could do it, and Somebody got angry about that because it was Everybody's job. Nobody ended up doing it, and it so happened that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2005, 10:16 PM

All laptops get hot. No, there's no way to make it stay cool.

maCCer  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2005, 10:28 PM

all right, i just got the USB fan to cool it down, it really works.
But why for ibook, the hard disk is the major generator of heat, not CPU, grapic card, or something else?
Does all laptop have heat hard disk?
There were once four people named Everybody, Somebody, Nobody and Anybody. Somebody had to do a job, but Nobody wanted to do it. Nobody could see that Anybody could do it, and Somebody got angry about that because it was Everybody's job. Nobody ended up doing it, and it so happened that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done.

nJm
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2005, 10:33 PM

The left palm rest does get quite hot, but heavy usage really heats up the CPU. Next time you think the computer is feeling hot, lift up the keyboard and feel the metal plate to the left of the Airport card. On mine that is often too hot to touch. I recently got an iCurve stand and it has helped it keep cool when it is sitting on my desk.
MBP 2.16ghz 15"
iMac G5 1.6Ghz 17"
Powermac 7200/120

notorious426
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2005, 10:42 PM

Mine gets warm as well but it's usually never a problem.

MARINEOSX
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 22, 2005, 10:45 PM

the reason it is getting hot after listening to music and such is beacuse the hard drive is constantly spinning as it grabs data for the song. That is where the hard drive is located. it is nothing to worry about. My iBook has reached temperatures of 153? and the fans first stage is enogh to keep it cool. This is proccessor bottomside and the hard drive gets no where near this hot. The reason it is hot where the airport card goes is beacause that is where the ram goes High speed electrical current with the amount of resistance that a circuit board possesses is enough to make it very hot. This however is why there are heat sinks IE the metal plate you are refering to.
Bless those that sacrifice for us all.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2005, 12:14 AM

Yep, sadly my 12" PB (and former iBook) does it, as all laptops do it (even PCs). The hard drive is typically located there, and the more it spins, the hotter the rest gets. There's really nothing you can do aside from stop using it or buying a USB-powered fan.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

maCCer  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2005, 03:32 AM

thanks guys

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2005, 11:58 PM

Originally posted by maCCer:
...that is funny, why??
I don't know why it's funny.

As for what you can do to cool it off a bit: make sure the iBook isn't on your lap, on a bed/couch, etc. If you keep it on a hard surface (desk), it'll generate less heat to the surface of your palmrest.

To eliminate heat, remove your HD and get an external. Problem solved.

Super Nova
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2005, 06:51 PM

mine never gets remotely hot.

SuperNova

Phiber
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2005, 07:41 PM

This is like talking about bears crapping in the woods. Why is this even a valid topic? As long as you computer isn't melting or burning you, I don't think it's a problem.
01110011011011100110111101110111011000110111001001 1000010111001101101000

selowitch
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2005, 02:56 PM

Originally posted by Phiber:
This is like talking about bears crapping in the woods. Why is this even a valid topic? As long as you computer isn't melting or burning you, I don't think it's a problem.
FWIW, I like putting my iBook on an old marble chessboard. It really does cool things off.

Forum Links
Forum Rules